Muscatine County, Iowa
Muscatine Journal & News-Tribune
Centennial Edition
31 May 1940

Section 5 - Page 28 to 31 Submitted by Charlene Nichols Hixon, May 30, 2012

Page 28
Served As Surveyor
Photo of Aristarchus Cone & Mrs. Aristarchus Cone

Leaving his home in Middlesex county, Conn., in the year 1834, Aristarchus Cone spent some time in Pennsylvania and Ohio before he came to Muscatine county in 1837 and established his home in Cedar township.

Mr. Cone served for a time as county supervisor, was clerk of the first election in what was known as storm’s precinct which embraced about one-third of Muscatine county at that period in August, 1839. He also was recorder of claims for Storm’s precinct from 1837 until the land came into the market, which was about 1842.

Mr. Cone was born in Connecticut, Feb. 22, 1815, and married Harriet Oaks Oct.7, 1851. Mrs. Cone was born in Somerset county, Pa., Dec. 21, 1828, came here in 1843, living until the year 1900. Mr. Cone’s death occurred Aug. 19, 1905.

* * * * * * *

Page 29

Lodges Formed In Early Years
Activities of Fraternal Groups Are Linked With City’s History
From the Very Earliest Years

Activities of fraternal organizations are linked closely with the history of the city from almost the beginning, and items concerning these organizations may be found in early issues of The Journal. Members of these lodges held prominent positions in the business and professional life of the community and in a number of instances, Muscatine lodgemen were elevated to places of responsibility in the state.

The desire to band together for good fellowship and community service led to the organization of many lodges here even before the dawn of the 20th century.

The Odd Fellows lodge, still active here, is one of the oldest in the city, yielding priority locally only to the Masonic order. Records reveal that Muscatine lodge No. 5, I. O. O. F., was instituted March 23, 1846, nine months before Iowa became a state. As the number indicates, it was one of the early Odd Fellow lodges in the territory. The first officers were E. H. Allbee, N. G.; R. Cadle, V. G.; Osie John, secretary; Pliny Fay, treasurer. Prairie Encampment No. 4 was instituted in 1853.

Wyoming lodge No. 76, Knights of Pythias, was organized in Muscatine May 18, 1882, with 46 charter members. R. B. Huff was the first chancellor commander of the order here.

A lodge of Modern Woodmen was organized in Muscatine July 13, 1885, with 26 charter members.

The Musquitine tribe of the Red Men was granted a charter Nov. 28, 1898 with 26 charter members.

Muscatine Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks was organized June 10, 1895. The first exalted ruler was A. Sherwood Kerr, who served during 1895 and 1896. In 1907, the lodge purchased the old Batterson homestead on East Front street, which was converted into a structure for club and lodge purposes.

Laurent council No. 1035, Knights of Columbus, was organized March 12, 1908, with 50 members, two additional classes of 50 each being added soon after.

Muscatine Aerie No. 815, Fraternal Order of Eagles, was formed in Muscatine Aug. 14, 1904 with 104 charter members.

The Loyal Order of Moose, which was reorganized in 1906, has a strong lodge in No. 388 of Muscatine. With 1,700 lodges in existence at the time of the reorganization, the order now has a membership of a half million.

Lodges still occupy a prominent place in the city’s activities today and boast of a large and active membership. The following benevolent and fraternal societies are listed in the last city directory.

Ancient Order of United Workmen, Banner lodge Degree of honor, 221 Iowa avenue; Juvenile Order of Banner Lodge Degree of Honor, 221 Iowa avenue.

Benevolent Protective order of Elks, Muscatine lodge no. 304, 413 East Front street.

Catholic Daughters of America, Court Joan of Arc No. 524, 222 West Second street.

Fraternal Order of Eagles, Aerie no. 815, 123 East Second street.

Improved Order of Red Men, No. 95, 225 West Second street.

Independent Order of odd Fellows, Muscatine lodge No. 5, 123 East Second street; Prairie encampment No. 4, 123 East Second street.

Rebekahs, Miriam lodge No. 27, 123 East Second street.

Knights of Columbus, Laurent council No. 1305, 222 West Second street.

Knights of Pythias, Wyoming lodge No. 76, 221 Iowa avenue; Pythian Sisters, 221 Iowa avenue.

Loyal Order of Moose, Muscatine lodge No.388, 114 West Second street.

Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, Iowa lodge No. 2, 317 East Third street; Triune lodge No. 641, 317 East Third street.

Royal Arch Masons, Washington chapter No. 4, 317 East Third street.

Royal and Select Masters, Webb council No. 18, 317 East Third street.

Knights Templar, DeMolay commandery No. 1, 317 East Third street.

Order of DeMolay for Boys. G. A. Reimcke chapter, 317 East Third street.

Order of Eastern Star, Electa chapter No. 32, 317 East Third street.

White Shrine of Jerusalem, Rose Croix Shrine No. 5, 317 East Third street.

Order of Rainbow for Girls, Muscatine assembly No. 38, 317 East Third street.

Modern Woodmen of America, Camp No. 106, 221 Iowa avenue.

Royal Neighbors of America, Woodbine camp No. 142, 122 East Second street.

Women’s Benefit association, 221 Iowa avenue.

* * * * * * *

Page 30

Masonic Lodge Second in Iowa
Centennial of Masonry Takes Place in 1841

Masonry in Muscatine dates back before Iowa became a state and before the organization of a grand lodge in the territory that was later to be admitted into statehood. It was nearly one hundred years ago that a charter was granted to the first Masonic group here, which still exists today as Iowa lodge No. 2, A. F. and A. M. The centennial of the granting of this charter will be celebrated early next year.

Since there was no grand lodge in the territory at that time, the pioneer Muscatine Masons were obliged to go outside the territory’s boundaries for authority to organize a lodge. Although the town of Bloomington, as Muscatine was then called, was still only a village, the early sponsors of the Masonic movement were convinced that a strong lodge could be organized here and consequently applied to the grand lodge of the state of Missouri for permission to take such a step.

With all preliminary problems satisfactorily ironed out, the first Masonic lodge in Muscatine and the second such lodge in Iowa was chartered here on Feb. 4, 1841, by the Missouri grand lodge, under the name of Iowa lodge No. 42. The Burlington lodge, formed a few months prior to that date, took the designation of Des Moines lodge No. 41 by authority of the Missouri grand lodge.

A meeting for the permanent organization of the new lodge here was held on Feb. 15, 1841. The first officers were: Ansel Humphrey, worshipful master; John Lilly, Jr., senior warden; B. S. Olds, junior warden; Josiah Parvin, treasurer; Joseph Williams, secretary; T. S. Parvin, senior deacon; Benjamin P. Howland, junior deacon; Joseph C. Matthews and P. G. Jeans, stewards. Original members under the dispensation were Josiah Parvin, Silas L. Lathrop, Isaac McGoon, Joseph C. Mathews, Theodore S. Parvin, B. P. Howland, Alexander Lewis, and Joseph Williams.

On Sept. 5, 1851, ten Masons who had demitted from Iowa lodge No. 2 organized Humphreys lodge No. 30. A charter was granted on June 2, 1852, and the first officers were Edward Klein, W. M.; John S. Lakin, S. W.; G. D. Magoon, J. W. On May 31, 1854, the name of Humphreys lodge was changed to Hawkeye lodge. Iowa lodge No. 2 and Hawkeye lodge No. 30 convened jointly on July 1, 1901, to consider consolidation of the two lodges. The proposition carried without a dissenting vote.

The first officers of the united organization were G. A. Riemcke, W. M.; Q. T. Howard, S. W.; David Bogard, J. W.; C. H. Gobble, treasurer; S. L. Johnson, secretary; J. N. Elliott, S. D.; C. E. Fox, J. D.; J. Binz, S. S.; F. P. Hebard, J. S.; William Satterthwait, tyler.

Washington chapter No. 4, Royal Arch Masons, was instituted under dispensation granted by the Ninth R. A. C. of the United States, and a charter was granted Sept. 17, 1852, to the following charter members: Ansel Humphreys, Theodore S. Parvin, George Wilkison, Josiah Parvin, William Williams, J. D. Biles, and George Plitt. The first officers were Ansel Humphreys, high priest; Theodore S. Parvin, king; George Wilkison, scribe; J. D. Beyers, captain host; William Williams, principal sojourner; L. A. Williams, R. A. captain; Josiah Parvin, master of the third veil; B. Brooks, master of the second veil; Mr. Madden, master of the first veil.

DeMolay commandery No. 1, Knights Templar, was organized April 10, 1855, prior to the existence of the grand commandery of Knights Templar of the state of Iowa, and the authority of dispensation was issued by the Grand Master of the General Grand Encampment of Knights Templar of the United States of America, bearing date of March 14, 1855.

Charter members of the commandery, the first in Iowa, were T. S. Parvin, J. R. Harsock, William Gordon, Henry Hoover, Horace Tuttle, William Reynolds, J. L. Hogin, L. D. Palmer, J. g. Hopkins, William Leffingwell and G. St. C. Hussey.

The General Grand Encampment of Knights Templar of the United States of America granted and issued a charter bearing date of Sept. 10, 1856. The Grand Commandery of Knights Templar of the State of Iowa was organized and constituted June 8, 1864, and at once granted and issued a charter to the Muscatine commandery.

A charter was granted to Webb council No. 18, Royal and Select Masters of Muscatine, by the Grand council of the Royal and Select Masters of the State of Iowa, bearing the date of Sept. 2, 1903.

The date of dispensation of Triune lodge No. 641, A. F. and A. M., was Nov. 16, 1921. The lodge was instituted on Dec. 1, 1921, and holds regular meetings on the first Thursday of each month.

Electa chapter of the Order of Eastern Star was organized, Jan. 10, 1874, growing out of the “Constancy Family,” a lodge of the same order which owed its prosperity to P. A. Brumfield, then deputy grand patron. The charter members were P. A. Brumfield and wife, W. B. Langride, H. Madden and wife, M. Block and wife, R. Hawley and wife, E. B. Lewis, J. Schumaker and wife, W. Leffingwell, Mrs. H. E. Bitzer, Mrs. R. Dunn, Mrs. H. E. Parmelee, Mrs. R. B. Ewing, Mrs. R. Miller, and Miss Morrison.

Rose Croix Shrine No. 5, White Shrine of Jerusalem, was organized March 29, 1915, and granted a charter, June 3, 1915.

* * * * * * *

Can You Remember?

Photo ~ Here’s a bird’s eye view of Muscatine as it appeared 63 years ago. The above photo shows the city along Iowa avenue. It was taken from the high school tower in 1877, looking south.

* * * * * * *

On this date some 60 Muscatine veterans of the World War met at the Association of Commerce rooms in the Hershey bank building and formed Edward H. Bitzer Post of the American Legion, the 27th legion post organized in the state. First officers were Edward A. Roach, commander; E. R. Tipton, vice-commander; J. H. Jamison, Adjutant; James R. Giesler, Financier; Edwin J. Westrate, historian. – June 9, 1919.

* * *

“J. W. Lucas, county treasurer has been enjoined by an order from Judge Dillon not to collect the railroad tax or pay out money from the railroad bond until a case testing the legality of the same is decided by the courts. The injunction was granted in accordance with a petition signed by a number of citizens of this county.” – June 10, 1861.

* * *

“Governor Sherman arrived on the Wilton train this morning and has been the guest today of Dr. W. S. Robertson with whom he is conferring in respect to a state board of health and enactment of a coal oil inspection statute.” – Journal, April 30, 1884.

* * *

“The New York Observer printed: “In Wilton, Iowa, 64 persons have united with the M. E. church. Two are past 70, six are over 50 and more than half are heads of families.” – April 14, 1878.

* * *

“From the 15th to the 31st of March” – the first two weeks of the steamboat season “0 steamboats, 55 barges and flats, 6,105 tons of grain, 95,547 bushels of grain passed through the Keokuk canal.” – Muscatine Journal, April 3, 1878.

* * * * * * *

Page 31

Even the Editor Was Convinced of
The Magnitude and Real Life Drama
Which This Circus Offered Public

Whooping frolicking – grotesque dancing – a terrific scalping scene – an Indian tableau portraying Pocahontas rescuing Captain Smith – performances of the wittiest clown in Christendom – all presented while a full military band dispensed stirring music.

Those were some of the countless thrills for those – who for a mere 25 cents admission – joined in the outstanding event of the year – The Menagerie and Circus – which visited Muscatine in that far off day, Aug. 13, 1855. But The Journal editor’s word picture, painted on circus day, best reveals the thrills provided. Here ‘tis:

    Menagerie and Circus – Today, this combined establishment will exhibit to the citizens of this city and vicinity. If the menagerie is worthy of patronage – and if Van Amburgh is with it we are certain it will be – it should be visited by all who have the time and money to spare. We can only appreciate the history of wild animals by seeing them. We learn that those who desire to visit this department can do so without coming in contact with the clown the two departments being separate.

    Van Amburgh and Company’s Menageria; Den Stone’s Circus of People and Tyler’s Indian Exhibition. United for one price of admission! The proprietors of the Menagerie, Circus and Indian Troupes, with a desire to give entire general satisfaction and to place their united exhibitions quite beyond the reach of competition, have entered into an arrangement between themselves for the combination of their Three Superb Establishments, the whole of which may be now witnessed, collectively under one pavilion at the price of admission heretofore required for each of the same exhibitions when given separately. – Admission 25 cents.

    The procession into town will be formed by the troupe of equestrians, superbly mounted on their gaily decorated steeds, preceded by a full military band, driven through the principal streets in an appropriate carriage followed by the Seneca Indian Chiefs and Warriors, in their native costume, mounted on their hunting horses and fantastically decorated, with the carriages, cages and vans containing the animals to the Mammoth Pavilion erected for the exhibition.

    Mr. Van Amurgh whose daring achievements in the wild beasts den, have won for him, in all parts of the world, imperishable renown, accompanies the exhibition in person, and will fearlessly enter the cages of the wild animals where he will exhibit his astonishing and mysterious influence over these formidable and ferocious creatures. Attached to this Equestrian Troupe id Den Stone! The original inventor of Bon Mots, the expunger of Joe Miller, now acknowledged as the Clown of the Era. Whose inimitable Hits of the Times, Satirical Harangues, pungent Sarcasms, and never failing Humor, have won for him the high reputation of the Wittiest Clown in the Christendom. Also Equestrians, Vaulters and Gymnasts of known ability and merit. Foremost among the attractive novelties of the Company are the characteristic performances of the Wild Tenants of the Forest! (Male and Female – 10 in number) Costumed and decorated in their Native Habiliments, illustrating with truthful accuracy, Scenes of Savage Life.

    The Buffalo Hunt. In which the whole party will appear in an animated scene of action. At another part of the entertainment The Indian War Dance! will be given with fearful accuracy, together with all the Savage Rites appertaining to the cruel ceremony. And again, in an amusing Pastoral Scene, called the Corn Gathering, interspersed with Grotesque Dancing, Singing, Whooping, Frolicking, etc. Besides the following at different periods of the performance: The Bird Dance, Thanksgiving Dance, war song of the Senecas; The Snake Dance attended with Indian Music. Also the following Tableaux of the Indians: Pocahontas Rescuing Captain Smith, Terrific Scalping Scenes, The Death Song and other numbers.

* * * * * * *

Return to Centennial Table of Contents Page

Back to the Muscatine Co. IAGenWeb, Index Page

Page created June 9, 2012 by Lynn McCleary