|Muscatine County, Iowa|
Muscatine Journal & News-Tribune
31 May 1940
Section 4 - Page 5-7, Submitted by Shirley Plumb, March 28, 2012
Christian Altenbernd August Altenbernd David Altenbernd Martin Heussner, 5 years Harry Weierheuser, 5years Clifford Reinsager, 5 years Curtis Hunter, 4 years John Schomberg, 13 years Leonard Bower, 1 year Walter Weierheuser, 18 years Fred Reinsager, 17 years
These Skilled Craftsmen are Ready to Help You!
Their many years of experience makes them qualified to give you superior workmanship in all kinds of
Building – Remodeling – Cabinet Work – Flooring
They’re proud to be able to meet your slightest need or handle your largest building problem.
Why not let them help you with your building and remodeling needs?
Aug. C. Altenbernd
Contactor and Builder
509 Fairview Ave. ~ Phone 1770
* * * * * * *
Hershey Name, Made Prominent by Earliest Pioneers, Lives Today
Photos of Mr. & Mrs. Jacob Hershey plus Dr. Abraham Hershey
Hershey – a name that belonged to a prominent early family of Muscatine lives on today in the designation of Hershey hospital, Hershey Avenue and the Hershey building.
Benjamin Hershey, the most widely-known of the Hershey clan, came to Muscatine in the spring of 1852. Starting out with an old sawmill with primitive machinery and limited production, he built up an immense lumber corporation that employed nearly a thousand men and did an annual business of upward of a million dollars. Mr. Hershey died August 24, 1893.
Jacob Hershey, a cousin of Benjamin Hershey, who spelled his name minus the “Y”, came here in 1850. Born in Lancaster County, Pa., Jan. 18, 1806, he married Elizabeth Klepper on Aug. 3, 1826. His death occurred Feb. 14, 1885. Mrs. Hershe was born July 6, 1808, and died on May 14, 1869. She was a sister of Christian Klepper.
Dr. Abraham R. Hershe, the eldest son of Jacob Hershe, also came to Muscatine in 1850. He was born in Lancaster County, Penn., Nov. 21, 1833. He never married. He practiced medicine here for many years, and his death occurred on Aug. 22, 1901.
Benjamin Hershey also was a native of Pennsylvania, and was born on April 10, 1813, on a farm in the township of Manor, near Indiantown, Lancaster County. Reared on a farm and his parents being of the Mennonite faith, he was trained from early childhood to habits of industry and frugality. By strict moral precepts and examples of the most rigid honesty and morality, the foundations of good character were laid by these parents in the minds of their children.
Upon becoming of age, Mr. Hershey began business for himself as a farmer, and was also a tobacco merchant at Columbia, Lancaster County, Pa., where he carried on an extensive business. In 1836, he married Miss Elizabeth Whitmore, daughter of Daniel Whitmore, and a native Lancaster county. Mrs. Hershey, who was born Dec. 20, 1810, died March 25, 1895.
Mr. and Mrs. Hershey were the parents of four children. Sarah, the eldest, became the wife of Clarence Eddy of Chicago; Amanda died in Europe in 1876; Elizabeth died in Muscatine, Oct. 7, 1856, and Almira, the youngest, became secretary of the Hershey Lumber company. It was Almira’s donation in honor of her father that made possible the building of Hershey hospital.
On coming here in the spring of 1852, Mr. Hershey found Muscatine a promising business point. He returned to Pennsylvania, and in the following spring brought his family here. Renting a sawmill, he at once engaged in the manufacture of lumber, and two years later bought the mill. The opening up of the great west to civilization created a good market for the products of his mill, and the venture proved a profitable one.
* * *
In addition to his extensive lumber business, Mr. Hershey found time to gratify his taste for agriculture and stock-raising. He became the owner of a farm of 800 acres beautifully situated on the bank of the Mississippi two miles below Muscatine. The farm was noted for its fine herd of thoroughbred Hereford cattle and also for the magnificent farm buildings. Mr. Hershey imported the first of his Hereford cattle after a personal inspection of the various breeds of cattle in Europe.
In political sentiment Mr. Hershey was a supporter of the republican party, but was never in any sense a politician. The few times that he accepted public office only marked the exception to the rule. He once served as a member of the city council and twice as mayor. He was in the council in 1854, and held the office of mayor during the years 1863 and 1866. (Photo of Benjamin Hershey on page 4.)
* * * * * * *
Came Here in 1855
Photos of Mr. and Mrs. Peter Musser
Peter Musser, outstanding philanthropist and business figure, who for many years was president of the Musser Lumber Co., arrived in Muscatine in the year 1855, accompanied by his wife, the former Tamson Rhodes.
Mr. Musser was born in Adamstown, Penn., Feb. 22, 1826 while Mrs. Musser was born in Schuylkill County, that state, in December, 1831. Their marriage was solemnized at Pine Grove, Penn., April 3, 1851
Reared in his native county, Mr. Musser was engaged in the tanning and leather business in Schuylkill County, in company with his elder brother, Richard, before emigrating to Iowa and establishing a home in Iowa City, in 1854. The following year, in company with his brother Richard and Edward Hoch, he opened a lumber yard at Muscatine under the firm name of Hoch and Musser. Then in the spring of 1865 the family moved to California, but returned to Iowa in 1869. The firm of Musser & Co., lumber dealers was started by Mr. Musser, his brother, Richard, his nephew, P. M. Musser and C. R. Fox in 1870.
Mr. Musser’s death occurred in the year 1910 while Mrs. Musser died June 21, 1896.
A lasting memorial to the memory of Mrs. Musser is the chapel at Greenwood cemetery, a gift of Mr. Musser to the city. (Photo of P.M. Musser on page 4.)
* * * * * * *
Richard Cadle Among Early Lumbermen in City
Several political offices of importance were held by Richard Cadle, who for many years was engaged in the lumber business here as a member of the firm, of Cadle, Mulford & company, located on Front street.
He was born in New York, Feb. 20, 1819, where he learned the carpenter trade. Emigrating to the west he spent a year in Illinois before coming to Iowa and locating here in October, 1843. In 1847 he was elected clerk of the district court, holding office two years. He was appointed postmaster and held that office during President Fillmore’s administration, then associated with J. S. Patten for two years, in the lumber business and was again elected clerk of the court, serving as clerk and deputy until October, 1861, when he enlisted in Company H of the 11th regiment. During the siege of Vicksburg he acted as quartermaster at the headquarters of Gen. Grant. He saw three years of service in the war, holding the rank of first lieutenant. On his return he again engaged in the lumber business and served several terms as city clerk and township clerk.
His wife, the former Jane Sarah Magoon, daughter of Isaac and Hannah Magoon, was born in Lancaster, O., April 27, 1828. Mr. Cadle died in Colorado, April 9, 1895. His wife’s death also occurred in that state.
* * * * * * *
Public meeting – A large meeting of the citizens of Bloomington was holden on the evening of Friday the last, the 13th inst., without distinction of party, for the purpose of inviting Ex-President, Van Buren, to visit our town, on his tour of the valley of the Mississippi. When on motion,, J. A. Parvin was called to the chair, and Dr. Wm. L. Smith appointed secretary, when Mr. J. B. Russell stated in a few appropriate remarks the satisfaction he received when witnessing such a manifestation of respect, untrammeled by partisanship and moved a committee of 12 be appointed by the chair to address a letter to Mr. Van Buren and apprise him of the pleasure it would afford his countrymen in Iowa to have him and the honorable J. K. Paulding, his traveling companion, among them. The chair, there upon, appointed the following gentlemen on the said committee: V. P. Van Antwerp, Suel Foster, I. C. Day, B. S. Olds, J. B. Russell, W. G. Woodward, T. S. Parvin, D. V. Snyder, S. Whicher, S. C. Hatings, J. A. Parvin, Wm L. Smith. – May 20, 1842.
* * *
Columbus Junction’s oldest resident, D. K. Shaver, has just celebrated his 92,d birthday. Mr. Shaver is probably the oldest printer in Iowa. He learned the printer’s trade iin 1836 and came west to Iowa City in 1844. There he assisted in getting out the first issue of the Iowa City Republican. – Jan. 9, 1914.
* * *
District Court – “The case of Dennis Mohanna, for manslaughter in causing the death of Rudolph Largent of Wilton, was before the court today. W. F. Brannon and D. C. Richman for the defense. Lyman Ellis, district attorney, and Henry O’Connor for the prosecution,”. – Jan. 10, 1871.
* * *
We are pleased to learn that D. w. Clove, formerly the propular host of the “Clover House” will open the “Ogilvie House” in a few days.” – Oct. 9, 1852.
* * *
30 Years Ago
Photo of Hardware Store
We started business at our present location. Times have changed, and with this progress has come a reorganization of business, a constant improvement in merchandising, and an added incentive for salesmanship. A part from these, certain fundamental principles have not changed, and upon these our politicies have been based. Under a system of reliable merchandising and prompt servicing, we have maintained an independent business for thirty years. With the continued patronage of satisfied customers, we pledge our future service:
Detthof Hardware Company
H. G. Detthorf, Owner
124 East Second St.
* * * * * * *
Return to Centennial Table of Contents Page
Back to the Muscatine Co. IAGenWeb, Index Page
Page created April 12, 2012 by Lynn McCleary