Muscatine County Iowa
Source: Portrait and Biographical Album, Muscatine County, Iowa, 1889, page 664
This township is located in the extreme southwestern part of the county, and comprises all of township 76, north of range 4 west, lying west of the Cedar River. The Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern Railroad passes through the township from south to north, having on its line two stations, Port Allen and Coneville.
Port Allen is situated in the extreme part of the township on section 31, about one-half mile west of Cedar River. The town was founded, and the plat recorded by Cyril Carpenter, Nov. 18, 1871. The lots were surveyed by Peter Houtz. The depot was built by Cyril Carpenter, and rented by the railroad company. W. H. Crocker & Co. opened the first store in the place. The village has never grown to any considerable extent, but is a great convenience to the citizens residing in its immediate vicinity as a shipping point.
The village of Coneville is located on section 17, and was named after its founder, B. S. Cone. The lots were surveyed by J. E. Lyman, assistant engineer of the Burlington, Cedar Rapids & Northern Railroad, in March, 1870. The village has the usual number of business houses found in a place of its size.
Back to 1889 History of Muscatine Co. Index Page
Back to the Muscatine Co. IAGenWeb Index Page