Muscatine County Iowa
Here is what the abbreviations in the bios stand for: far: farm; Co.: company or county; dir: dealer; IVA: Iowa Volunteer Artillery; IVC: Iowa Volunteer Cavalry; IVI: Iowa Volunteer Infantry; P.O.: Post Office; S. or Sec.: section; and st.: street.
Source: History of Muscatine County Iowa, Biographical Section, 1879, page 650
B. F. NICHOLS, farmer and dealer in real estate, Nichols Station; son of Samuel and Mary ( nee Rodgers ) Nichols, born Sept. 5, 1826, in Highland Co., Ohio, where his mother died Jan. 5, 1839; in the fall of 1838, his father came to Muscatine Co. and purchased about one thousand acres of land in the vicinity of what is now known as Nichols Station; in the spring of 1840, brought his family and located on his land. In 1842, he was married the second time to the widow of Dr. Searles. He added to his first purchase of land till, at his death, Aug. 18, 1871, he owned about five thousand acres of land. In January, 1850, Mr. B. F. Nichols went to California via New Orleans and Panama route; engaged in mining and packing, also in mercantile business to some extent; also spent some time in Oregon, Washington Territory, British America, Idaho, Montana, etc.; in 1869, he returned to Muscatine Co.; in 1873, engaged in the mercantile business in Nichols, and sold out to Mr. Kirchner in December, 1878; he now owns about one thousand acres of land, valued at $25 per acre, besides several buildings in town; is also Postmaster, his father being the first Postmaster for this office. Married Miss Susan M. Jenks Oct. 10, 1874. Mr. N. has one brother, Townsend, living, and four sisters deceased. Has served as Treasurer of School Board several years. Democrat.
Back to Biographical Index Page
Back to 1879 Table of Contents Page
Back to the Muscatine Co. IAGenWeb Index Page