Muscatine County Iowa
Here is what the abbreviations in the bios stand for: far: farm; Co.: company or county; dir: dealer; IVA: Iowa Volunteer Artillery; IVC: Iowa Volunteer Cavalry; IVI: Iowa Volunteer Infantry; P.O.: Post Office; S. or Sec.: section; and st.: street.
Source: History of Muscatine County Iowa, Biographical Section, 1879, page 676
SAMUEL CRAIG LONG, Pastor of Grace Reformed Church; boards with James Ours, Fourth st., corner Elm, Wilton; was born at Huntingdon, Huntingdon Co., Penn., July 27, 1846; lived there until in his 12th year, when his father, George Long, with his family, removed to Neff's Mills, in Stone Valley, his native county, where he continued to work at his trade of blacksmithing, Samuel engaging as a farm hand about two miles from home. In the spring of 1861, the family removed to McConnellstown, that county, where S. C. worked in the shop with his father, and at farming. In the spring of 1862, moved to Markleysburgh, same county, where he assisted his father at his business until February, 1864, when he enlisted in the 22d Regt. Cav., Co. K, Capt. J. H. Berring, then lying at Chambersburg, Franklin CO., Penn., and not having quarters or rations furnished them, he, with another party, returned home, but afterward joined the regiment at Martinsburg, Va., but was with the regiment soon removed to Cumberland, Md. Previous to Gen. Sigel's movement up Shenandoah Valley, Va., a battery of two mountain howitzers was manned from the 20th and 22d Regts. Mr. Long went as Bugler of Battery, which soon followed Gen. Sigel up the valley. In Pleasant Valley, Md., the whole regiment drew horses, and started with Gen. Sheridan on his famous raid through the valley of Virginia. In the spring of 1865, the 22d and 14th Penn. V. C., were consolidated with the 3d Provisional Cavalry, companies being thrown together to fill out by forming number, our subject joining Co. G, Capt. Spear, were stationed at Morefield to intercept guerrillas and horse-thieves. They were afterward quartered at Winchester, Va., from which place Mr. Long, with others, accompanied two artists up the valley to sketch the battle-ground. In the fall of 1865, the regiment returned to Cumberland, Md., where Mr. Long assisted in making out the muster-rolls; the went with company to Harper's Ferry, Va., and turned their horses over to the Government; thence to Harrisburg, Penn., where he was mustered out Oct. 31, 1865. In the spring of 1866, his father returned to Huntingdon, Penn., where they kept a hotel until 1868, and then removed twelve miles into the country, and engaged in farming. S. C. went to Titusville, Penn., and engaged as clerk and book-keeper in a wholesale grocery store. In the fall of 1869, he entered the academic department of Mercersburg College, and, in the fall of 1871, entered the college, graduating in the summer of 1875. In the fall of that year he entered the theological course, and graduated in the spring of 1878. In June, 1878, came to Jackson Co., Iowa, where he acted as Assistant Pastor at Maquoketa, taking a part of a field lying in Clinton Co., and remained until October, 1878, when he came to Wilton.
Back to Biographical Index Page
Back to 1879 Table of Contents Page
Back to the Muscatine Co. IAGenWeb Index Page