Muscatine County Iowa
Here is what the abbreviations in the bios stand for: far: farm; Co.: company or county; dir: dealer; IVA: Iowa Volunteer Artillery; IVC: Iowa Volunteer Cavalry; IVI: Iowa Volunteer Infantry; P.O.: Post Office; S. or Sec.: section; and st.: street.
Source: History of Muscatine County Iowa, Biographical Section, 1879, page 667
HENRY C. T. LANGE, proprietor of Moscow ferry; P. O. Moscow; owns about forty acres of land near Moscow, also 174 acres in Cedar Co., of the value of $25 per acre; born Feb. 28, 1825, in Holstein, Germany; emigrated to Ohio in 1847; soon after arriving here, enlisted in Co.L of 2d Ohio Volunteers, to serve in the Mexican war; was in the service until July, 1848; mustered out at Cincinnati, after which he went to Indianapolis, Ind., remaining until the fall of 1850; came to Iowa, locating on west side of Cedar River, about two miles from where he still lives; in 1852, he purchased the ferry-boat, which he has run ever since. He enlisted Aug. 9, 1862, in Co. C of the 35th Iowa Inf.; participated in the battle of Jackson and siege of Vicksburg, Miss; was also with A. J. Smith, in the Red River expedition, also Henderson Hill, Pleasant Hill, Clothierville, Marksville, Yellow Bayou, Checut Lake, la., Tupelo, Nashville, Tenn, and Spanish Fort, Ala.; was discharged at Davenport Aug. 10, 1865. Married Caroline Grosce, of Indianapolis, Ind., Sept.4, 1850; she was born Sept. 4, 1832, in Germany; have five children living---Grant, William, T. S., Melinda, Anna and Eleanora; lost six--- Peter M., Henry A., Edward H., Charles L., Henry and Dora L. Mr. L. is present Township Clerk, which office he has filled for eight years; has also served as President of School Board. Lutheran; Republican.
Back to Biographical Index Page
Back to 1879 Table of Contents Page
Back to the Muscatine Co. IAGenWeb Index Page