Muscatine County Iowa
Here is what the abbreviations in the bios stand for: far: farm; Co.: company or county; dir: dealer; IVA: Iowa Volunteer Artillery; IVC: Iowa Volunteer Cavalry; IVI: Iowa Volunteer Infantry; P.O.: Post Office; S. or Sec.: section; and st.: street.
Source: History of Muscatine County Iowa, Biographical Section, 1879, page 643
I. W. JONES, farmer and one of the proprietors of the Ricketts' Addition to the town called Orono; P. O. Conesville; son of Joshua and Mary J. Jones; born Dec. 7, 1843, in Coshocton Co., Ohio; in the fall of 1855, came to Pike Tp., of this county and to Orono Tp, in the spring of 1871. Married Martha J. Ricketts, daughter of Hezekiah W. and Cecilia Ricketts, April 16, 1868; she was born Nov.1, 1849, in Coshocton Co., Ohio; her father came to this county if the fall of 1852 and entered from the Government 320 acres of land, embracing the land on the west side of Main street; he subsequently sold eighty acres, now owned by Mr. Tipton; Mr. Ricketts died July 28, 1857, leaving his wife and three children heirs to his estate---Mrs. Jones, Byron A. and Robinson F; Mr. A.L.Bliven was appointed guardian for the boys; Messrs. E. Younkin, John Haines and George Bomgardner were appointed as Commissioners to divide the estate, eighty acres being set off for the widow as hers during her life, after which it is to revert to the heirs; sixteen acres were laid off in town lots in the fall of 1870 as an addition to the town and called Orono, the balance of 144 acres was divided between the children, Byron A., a dentist in Clinton, Iowa and Robinson F., a telegraph operator. The widow Ricketts was again married to John Barrett in 1864. The children of Mr. and Mrs Jones are: Eva, born Aug,2. 1870; Albert W.,Nov.2, 1874, and Nellie, Feb. 14, 1877. Mr. J. is a member of the Reformed Church; Greenbacker.
Back to Biographical Index Page
Back to 1879 Table of Contents Page
Back to the Muscatine Co. IAGenWeb Index Page