Muscatine County Iowa
Here is what the abbreviations in the bios stand for: far: farm; Co.: company or county; dir: dealer; IVA: Iowa Volunteer Artillery; IVC: Iowa Volunteer Cavalry; IVI: Iowa Volunteer Infantry; P.O.: Post Office; S. or Sec.: section; and st.: street.
Source: History of Muscatine County Iowa, Biographical Section, 1879, page 674
DANIEL HARKER, proprietor of Harker House, corner Railroad and Cedar streets, Wilton; a son of Daniel and Ann Harker, nee Kunkel, natives of Sussex Co., N. Y., and born, the former in 1800, the latter in 1803; they had nine children; Daniel was born in 1833, in Sussex Co., N. Y.; at the age of 12, with his parents, he removed to Orange Co., N. Y., and in 1866, the family, parents and three children, came to Iowa, settled in Muscatine, and in March, 1856, removed to Wilton, where the father died in 1875, the mother having since found a home with her son, who, in November, 1861, married Ann E., daughter of Jacob Ours; she was born in Montour Co., Penn., in 1840, and, with her parents, came to this county in 1859. In March, 1862, they assumed charge of the Wilton House, that being the first hotel worthy the name of the place; remained there until November, 1863, after which he engaged in the grocery trade, auctioneering, etc., until January, 1873, when, having been reading law for several years, was admitted to the bar; during the same year, he was appointed Postmaster, and, in 1878, removed to his present place of residence. They have ten children--Alberta K., Alfred L., George A., Anna G., Hattie A., Mary E., John K., Joseph N., Nelly E., and an infant. Independent in politics; Mrs. Harker is a member of the Reformed Church. Mr. Harker has been a member of the Board of County Supervisors, Justice of the Peace, Mayor of Wilton, Trustee, Clerk and Constable.
Back to Biographical Index Page
Back to 1879 Table of Contents Page
Back to the Muscatine Co. IAGenWeb Index Page