Muscatine County Iowa
Here is what the abbreviations in the bios stand for: far: farm; Co.: company or county; dir: dealer; IVA: Iowa Volunteer Artillery; IVC: Iowa Volunteer Cavalry; IVI: Iowa Volunteer Infantry; P.O.: Post Office; S. or Sec.: section; and st.: street.
Source: History of Muscatine County Iowa, Biographical Section, 1879, page 673
FRANK P. GRAY, physician and surgeon; office on Cedar street; boards at the McIntire House, Wilton; a son of Dr. D. W. Gray, who was born in Greene Co., Penn., Feb. 22, 1827, and graduated first at Carmichael College, then at Miami Medical College, Cincinnati, Ohio; in 1851, at West Wheeling, Va., he married Mary Palmer, who was born at West Wheeling in 1832; he practiced in Sacksonville, his native county, until 1870, and, in the spring of that year, came to Muscatine, where he practiced and dealt in drugs and medicines until his death, Nov. 6, 1877, leaving a wife and six children--three sons and three daughters; the eldest son and second born, Frank P., was born in Greene Co., Penn., May 10, 1854, and, after a liberal common school education, at the age of 16 he entered Waynesburg College, and graduated there; at the age of 18, he commenced the study of medicine with his father; the winter of 1870-71, he entered the University of Wooster, at Cleveland, and the following summer was passed at Marine Hospital, and the following winter, returned to Cleveland and graduated; in February, 1872, he came to Muscatine, and, in the winter of 1873-74, graduated at Keokuk, commencing practice with his father the following summer, which he continued until coming here in February, 1878. The Doctor adheres to the Democratic faith, in which himself and his father were raised.
Back to Biographical Index Page
Back to 1879 Table of Contents Page
Back to the Muscatine Co. IAGenWeb Index Page