Muscatine County Iowa
Here is what the abbreviations in the bios stand for: far: farm; Co.: company or county; dir: dealer; IVA: Iowa Volunteer Artillery; IVC: Iowa Volunteer Cavalry; IVI: Iowa Volunteer Infantry; P.O.: Post Office; S. or Sec.: section; and st.: street.
Source: History of Muscatine County Iowa, Biographical Section, 1879, page 604
I. L. GRAHAM, M.D., born at Canton, Conn., in 1823. After the usual course at the common school, he was a pupil at Canton Academy; also, at the academy at Amherst, Mass.; commenced the study of medicine at Hitchcocksville, Conn., where he remained one year, with Dr. F. B. Graham; studied one year with Dr. Woodruff, at New Britain, Conn., and one year at the Eye and Ear Infirmary, at Hartford, Conn., with Dr. P. W. Ellsworth. He attended the course of lectures for 1845-46, at the College of Physicians and Surgeons, in the city of New York; also, the clinical course at the city hospital. He received his medical degree at the University, of the city of, New York at the close of the session of lectures for 1846-47. He commenced the practice of his profession at Bristol, Conn., where he continued five years, in regular work; also surgeon at Bristol Copper Mine, then under the control of President Eliphalet Nott, of Union College. He removed to Hudson, Ohio, where he pursued his profession during two years, in connection with the drug business; he returned to Connecticut, and engaged in the same business at New Haven, where he continued until his removal to Muscatine in the fall of 1855. From that date to the present time he has been engaged as a druggist and chemist, in connection with the seed business. He was elected a member of the Muscatine City Council for 1872 and 1873; was a member of the School Board in 1875-77; member of the Board of Supervisors in 1876-78; Chairman of the Board in 1878. At the organization of the Merchants' National Bank, in 1865, he was appointed a Director and has held the position since. Dr. G. married in 1861 Agnes M. Bronson, of Cromwell, Conn.; has two children living; Mary, born at Muscatine Aug. 5, 1866, and Edward Lewis, born at Muscatine Dec. 11, 1867.
Back to Biographical Index Page
Back to 1879 Table of Contents Page
Back to the Muscatine Co. IAGenWeb Index Page