Muscatine County Iowa
Here is what the abbreviations in the bios stand for: far: farm; Co.: company or county; dir: dealer; IVA: Iowa Volunteer Artillery; IVC: Iowa Volunteer Cavalry; IVI: Iowa Volunteer Infantry; P.O.: Post Office; S. or Sec.: section; and st.: street.
Source: History of Muscatine County Iowa, Biographical Section, 1879, page 690
HENRY FELKNER, Sec.5 ; P. O. Downey, Cedar Co.; was born in Fairfield Co., Ohio, in 1810; in 1833, he removed to Indiana, and thence to Iowa in the spring of 1837, first locating in Johnson Co.; he laid claim to a tract of land (960 acres ) near Iowa City; he also built two saw-mills there that he operated successfully for some years; in 1843, he married Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Enoch Lewis; she was a native of Highland Co., Ohio, and came to Iowa with her parents in 1841, who settled near West Liberty, where they resided till the time of their death. Mr. and Mrs. F. had twelve children; those still living are; Iowa, Elma M. (now Mrs. Haynes ), Mary, Henry, William, Smith, Milton, Elizabeth, Sarah J., and Clinton. In 1868, Mr. F. removed to Muscatine Co., where he now resides. Mrs. F. died in April, 1877. Mr. F. is of the energetic and enterprising class of pioneers who help to develop the country and make Iowa one of the first among the States. He is a Democrat.
Back to Biographical Index Page
Back to 1879 Table of Contents Page
Back to the Muscatine Co. IAGenWeb Index Page