Muscatine County Iowa
Here is what the abbreviations in the bios stand for: far: farm; Co.: company or county; dir: dealer; IVA: Iowa Volunteer Artillery; IVC: Iowa Volunteer Cavalry; IVI: Iowa Volunteer Infantry; P.O.: Post Office; S. or Sec.: section; and st.: street.
Source: History of Muscatine County Iowa, Biographical Section, 1879, page 645
JOSEPH CRANE, farmer, Sec. 28; P. O. Muscatine; born in Essex Co., N. J., July 14, 1814, where he learned the blacksmith trade, and, in 1837, came to Rock Island, Ill., where he established the first shop in that town; removed to Cedar Co., Iowa, in 1839. Married Miss Agnes Bogart in 1841; she was born in Warren Co., Ohio, in 1819. Mr. C. was at the first court held in Cedar Co. He was appointed Justice of the Peace by Gov. Lucas, which office he held until 1845; was on the Board of Commissioners for several years; removed to Muscatine in 1845, where he engaged in manufacturing plows, which he followed till 1855, then removed to where he now lives, where he owns 300 acres of land, on which he has made all the improvements. Democrat until the beginning of the war, and since Republican.
Back to Biographical Index Page
Back to 1879 Table of Contents Page
Back to the Muscatine Co. IAGenWeb Index Page