Muscatine County Iowa
Here is what the abbreviations in the bios stand for: far: farm; Co.: company or county; dir: dealer; IVA: Iowa Volunteer Artillery; IVC: Iowa Volunteer Cavalry; IVI: Iowa Volunteer Infantry; P.O.: Post Office; S. or Sec.: section; and st.: street.
Source: History of Muscatine County Iowa, Biographical Section, 1879, page 596
R. M. BURNETT, retired; residence corner Third and Locust; is a native of Onondaga, Co., New York, and was born July 11, 1821; he lived there until he came to Iowa, and located in Muscatine in 1852 and engaged in the book and stationery business; he continued in the same business, in the same location for a quarter of a century; it is the oldest book and stationery house without change in the State. He was twice elected to the State Legislature and served in the sessions of 1866 and 1868; was appointed Regent of the State University and held that position four years; has been a stockholder and Director in the Merchants' Exchange Bank since its organization. He has been an active and earnest member of the Baptist Church for many years. On account of the loss of his eyesight, he has given up his business to his son. He married Miss Frances Edwards, of Onondaga Co., New York, in 1849; she died May 16, 1864; they had four children, only one of whom survives---Lewis.
Back to Biographical Index Page
Back to 1879 Table of Contents Page
Back to the Muscatine Co. IAGenWeb Index Page