Muscatine County Iowa
Here is what the abbreviations in the bios stand for: far: farm; Co.: company or county; dir: dealer; IVA: Iowa Volunteer Artillery; IVC: Iowa Volunteer Cavalry; IVI: Iowa Volunteer Infantry; P.O.: Post Office; S. or Sec.: section; and st.: street.
Source: History of Muscatine County Iowa, Biographical Section, 1879, page 669
G. S. BRADLEY, Superintendent of Public Schools and Principal of high schools; residence, Fifth street, Wilton; was born in Canterbury, N. H., May 28, 1830; attended the district schools, and at the age of 17, entered the New Hampshire Conference Seminary, located at Fulton, and with two terms at Gilman Academy; at the age of 20, he came to Michigan, where he soon became connected with the Michigan Central College, located at Spring Arbor, Jackson Co. (now known as Hillsdale College), the latter part of the fourth year, then being engaged as teacher; after two years at Oberlin College, he was elected Tutor at Hillsdale College; was the first Tutor of that institution; remained there for two years and two terms. Dec. 12, 1858, married Miss S. Ann Weaver, daughter of William Weaver, of Somerset, Mich.; she was born in Niagara Co., N. Y., May 19, 1834, and brought by her parents to Michigan, when only 1 year of age; taking part in her husband's profession from the date of their marriage, they soon after removed to Parsonsfield, Me., where he became Principal and she Preceptress of the seminary, and there remained for two years, thence to Racine, Wis., where he became Pastor of the Free-Will Baptist Church, and remained for three years; spring of 1864, became Chaplain of the 22d Wis. Inf., and remained until the close of the war, the regiment taking the round with Sherman; after having had charge of the church at Racine again for two years, in the spring of 1867, he organized a seminary at Rochester, in the same county, where he and Mrs. Bradley presided for two years, Mr. B. having the pastorship of two churches at the same time; they then removed to Evansville, Ind., where they had charge of the seminary for nearly six years, during which Mr. Bradley continued preaching at different points, at a distance of fifteen miles. During the last year at Evansville, Mr. B. was editor and proprietor of the Evansville Journal; having, while at Racine, been one of the promoters and earnest workers on the Christian Freeman, a paper published at Chicago; soon after the close of the war, he published a work, entitled; "History of the Star Corps," being a work of 300 pages on the 20th Army Corps; in August, 1875, they removed to Wilton, where they, for two years, were Principal and Preceptress of the Collegiate Institute, since which he has filled the position he now occupies.
Back to Biographical Index Page
Back to 1879 Table of Contents Page
Back to the Muscatine Co. IAGenWeb Index Page