Raymond W. Smith family became a part of the Elliott community March
1, 1948 when they moved from a Griswold farm to the former Nathan
Collins farm, then owned by Hector Turner of Griswold. It is located
1 mile west and 1Ĺ miles north of Elliott.
the son of G. R. (Ray) (1886-1975) and Iva Potter Smith (1896-1975)
both born in the Griswold area.
Mrs. Smith (the former
Bernice Crum) is the daughter of Louis C. Crum (1881-1962) born at
Smith Center, Kansas in a sod house; and Elva Rumsey Crum
(1884-1977) born near Red Oak, Iowa.
Raymond and Bernice were born near Griswold, attended rural schools
and graduated from Griswold High School. They were married in
Everett, Wash. Dec. 20, 1942. There are three children: Murray R.,
b. 1944; Sheryl Lou, b. 1947; and Janis Colleen, b. 1949. Murray is
married to the former Connie Jo Williams of Red Oak, and they have
two children - - Zachary, age 6, and Sarah, age 3. They farm on
Ebertís corner west of Elliott. Sheryl is married to Ronald
Burroughs, and they have two daughters, Jennifer, age 7, and Julie,
age 4. Sheryl is a Home Economics teacher and they farm east of
Griswold. Janis is married to Douglas Ivie. She is an elementary
school teacher, and they live in Lawrenceville, Georgia.
Raymond and Murray in addition to their farming, do custom corn
shelling over a wide area.
Raymond was in the Army Air
Corp from 1942 to 1946 and was in air-sea rescue work. Murray was in
the Navy from 1966 to 1970 and spent most of the time in the
families belong to the Elliott United Methodist Church and have held
many offices throughout the years.