EMERY HERMAN PENRY
Penry was born Feb. 1, 1888, on a farm about seven miles southeast
of Elliott that his father had homesteaded. He was the son of James
and Priscilla Roberts Penry. He was one of eleven children.
united in marriage to Flossie G. Priest on Sept. 22, 1909. To this
union four children were born. Edith Leota, July 20, 1910; Basil
Earl, April 23, 1912; Genevive May, March 29, 1914; and Charlene
Francis, Sept. 8, 1927.
Penry's lived in Red Oak until 1918 when they moved to Elliott and
Mr. Penry opened his own garage, located behind what was then
Petty's hardware store.
during Aug. 1921 they moved to Glen Ewen, Canada to be close to his
sister, Emma. However they came back to Red Oak in Dec. 1921. In the
spring of 1922, Emery and his family returned to Elliott where he
had a garage in the old livery barn and also sold Studebaker cars.
At one time during this period he also had a garage in what is now
known as "the bus barn".
summer of 1924 the family moved to Zearing, Iowa where Emery opened
a garage and sold Star and Chrysler automobiles. They lived in
Zearing until 1927 when they returned to Red Oak.
part of April 1928 the Penry's moved back to Elliott where Emery
worked for the school board as a mechanic for thirty-one years,
retiring in 1959. In 1947 Emery was one of several volunteers who
constructed the Elliott "Pinochle Palace".
retiring, Emery was caretaker for several cemeteries around Elliott
until the fall of 1968.
passed away Jan. 22, 1967, and is buried at Red Oak.
1968 he married Hazel Young of Council Bluffs, and resided there
until his death April 29, 1971. He was buried at Red Oak. Mr. Penry
was a lifelong auto mechanic.