JOHN H. LOWMAN
Lowman was born in Cass County, Indiana, October 5, 1839, the son of
Samuel and Elizabeth (Williams) Lowman. He came with his
family to Polk County, Iowa in 1854. He was married on January 17,
1861, to Lucinda McCollum, a native of Virginia. They became the
parents of eight children; Mary (Mae), Mrs. Jobe Harris; Emery A.;
Frank H.; Minnie M., Mrs. William Brown; Estella, Mrs. Charles
Lawrence; Guy; Lucy Ethel, Mrs. Clyde Moore; Mrs. Bess Luppold, who
is still living in Denver, Colorado in a nursing home; all the
others are deceased.
On August 13,
1861 he enlisted in Co. G. 23rd Regiment, Iowa Volunteer Infantry,
served until July 1865. He participated in the action at Thompson's
Hill, Champion Hill, Black River Bridge, Milliken's Bend, the siege
and capture of Vicksburg, Fort Blakely and Spanish Fort.
discharge from the army he returned to Polk County for a year, then
spent a year in Dakota before returning to Iowa and purchasing
the unimproved land in the southeast quarter of Sec. 34, Pleasant
Twp. In 1869, the year of his coming, that part of the county was
especially wild and unsettled, Griswold and Elliott not being
founded until ten years later. Mr. Lowman erected modern
buildings and a desirable residence and increased his holdings to
John Lowman was
the first Justice of the Peace, served as assessor for 24 years. He
was a member of the Masons. Both Mr. and Mrs. Lowman were active in
the work of the Church of Christ.
In 1870, John H.
Lowman set apart grounds on the southeast quarter of section 34 for
burial purposes. This has since been called the Lowman Cemetery.
There have been two churches built on the grounds. The first was
destroyed by a tornado and the second was torn down as it was no
longer used. An infant daughter of Eli A. and Sarah Guess in
January 1871, was the first burial.