William Buss, son of
Charlotte [Bates] Buss married Lovina, daughter of Isaac
and Eleanor DeWitt, at Belmont, Wisconsin in 1860. Their children
were Edson, Elmer, Clara, Grant, Lottie, Clint and Eva. Four
of these children died from the effects of diphtheria in the 1880's. They
and the Buss and DeWitt grandparents are buried at
1869, Isaac and Eleanor DeWitt, Daniel and Charlotte Buss, William and Lovina, and Lovina's brother Alvin,
and wife Hannah Boles plus the young couples' children came to
Montgomery County to a place about where Henry Rasmussen lives.
Neal Buss's father Edson and Max DeWitt's grandfather
Emory were among these children.
Railroad land was for sale along the Tarkio Creek and either Daniel
or William must have bought some, because Edson remembered
hauling lumber from Atlantic to build a two room house there.
Daniel and Charlotte bought land near the Buss School north of
Stanton. William and Lovina owned the farm belonging to
Lyle Buss today, and also an 80 acres on the road south. The
Binnegar's, relatives of the Busses, owned land adjoining the Lyle Buss farm on the north. DeWitts owned land in the
only land held by the family today is the Lyle Buss farm, acquired
in 1876, and the Neal Buss farm in the southwest corner of the
Clint Buss married Bertha Kemp and had several children, who are all dead.
Grant Buss married Stella Spicer and their children were
Walter, who lived about a mile south of the Botts School; Claude;
and Lera Buss Heuer. J.C. Buss, Walter's son; and
William Buss, Claude's son; are the only ones left of Daniel's
branch of the family to carry on the family name.
Edson married Anne Ewart and their children were John
and Bonnie, both deceased. Neither of them married. John
served in World War I, and later ran heavy machinery for the Bradens. Bonnie was an osteopath doctor, but due to an injury could not
practice. She was much in demand as a nurse and assistant for Doctor Alliband and Dr. Meyers.
After Anne died, Edson married Ida White, who came to Pilot
Grove with her parents, Robert White and Margaret Botts White,
when she was five. (Margaret and S. J. Botts were brother
Edson Buss and Ida White Buss were the parents of Myrtle
Roach, and Vera Glasebrook (deceased). Both girls taught in
Pilot Grove Township some years ago. Their sons were Neal, owner of
Buss Pump and Plumbing, and now retired;
and Lyle who assisted in Laflin's Electric Shop before retiring. Neal had
no sons, just daughters; and Lyle has no children. He married quite late
in life to Vera Munro.
Memories. Lumber was hauled down the Ridge Road from Atlantic to build a
two room (one up, one down) house on the Rasmussen farm. Cattle were herded because there
were no fences. Food was preserved by drying, and sorghum served as
sweetening. Edson recalled dried pumpkin and pumpkin butter as
part of his school lunch.
School was a log
cabin on the old J. D. Baird farm in 1869. Seats and desks
were split logs. Some of Edson's schoolbooks indicate a higher
level of expectation than we have today. Edson stayed with
Uncle John and Aunt Lottie Buss Finley while attending high
school at Red Oak.
taught many schools in Pilot Grove, and also did sewing for people. Mrs. Ed Hully was one she sewed for, and if Ed Hully needed
help with the newspaper Ida set type, too.
were mowed to keep school children from getting lost and to enable them to
see rattlesnakes. Ida said it was best to wait, if one
disputed the path. She also said she needed no dustpan, she swept
the dirt down the wide cracks in the floor.
the Buss descendants exhibit an ability in science and or machinery.
A threshing machine owned and operated by Neal's father and
grandfather used horses for power. Bands on bundles were cut by
hand, and straw was removed by hand. Grain was deposited in baskets which
were emptied into sacks or other storage.
information from Myrtle Buss Roach and from conversations with my
|| ~ Mrs. Neal
(May Delle) Buss