MONTGOMERY COUNTY ANNALS OF IOWA ABANDONED TOWNS ALIX A post office [1895-98] in Douglas Township. ARLINGTON Laid out in the southeastern part of section 29, Washington Township, but never built up. BIDDICK A post office from 1893 to 1902 in the southern part of Pilot Grove Township. CARR'S POINT A post office from 1865 to 1870 in section 4, West Township, on Walnut Creek. CLIMAX A hamlet and post office from 1874 to 1901 in the northern part of section 30, West Township, on Walnut Creek. A store and church still there. COE'S GROVE Listed as a post office in Montgomery County from 1858 to 1859, and again from 1868 to 1869, but location not found. FLORA Platted as a town in 1859 near the head of Red Oak Creek [evidently two or three miles northeast of Red Oak], but never developed. FRANKFORT A town in the southwestern part of section 17, Frankfort Township. It was made the county seat in 1854 and continued to be until 1865, during which time it was prosperous. Post office 1856-78. HAWTHORNE A former village and C.B.& Q. railroad station about one-half mile south of the present village of McPherson. Hawthorn was the name of its post office from 1871 to 1892, when it was changed to Hawthorne, and was discontinued in 1908 after the railroad was located farther to the north. HOLMSTAD The name by which the present town of Stanton was first known when it was established in 1870, but which it retained but for a short time. MILFORD The former name of the present town of Grant for many years. Milford was platted in 1858. Grant was the name of the post office, and finally the town's name was changed to agree with that of the post office. ORO A post office from 1856 to 1858 two miles north of the present city of Red Oak. RED OAK JUNCTION The pioneer name of the present city of Red Oak from when it was laid out in 1858 to 1871. Red Oak Junction was also the name of the post office from 1859 to 1869. ROSS GROVE A post office in section 25, Jackson Township, but never built up. ROSSVILLE Laid out as a town in 1855 in section 12, Jackson Township, but never built up. SHERMAN CENTER A place shown on maps of 1878 a short way northwest from the center of Sherman Township. SCIOLA A country post office 91855-19050 in Washington Township, occupying different locations, the last one being in section 16. TENVILLE A post office from 1899 to 1901 in the southern part of Washington Township. THE FORKS The pioneer name applied to Villisca, because of its being near the forks of the Middle and West Nodaway rivers. WALES A post office [1855-1901] near the center of Lincoln Township. WALLACE A post office [1875-78] in the southern part of Douglas Township. WILSON A post office [1870-79] in the northwestern part of Pilot Grove Township.
Thanks to Gayle Harper for this information.
Montgomery County Home Page