This page was last updated  Thursday, 19 April 2018

Montgomery County, Iowa

Biography Center


World War II Biographical Sketches

Surnames beginning "A"

(with updates and corrections)


Acree, Lisle F. was born 22 Dec 1923 and entered active service on 21 October 1994 at Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas. He was discharged 21 November 1946 at Ft. Sheridan, Illinois. He served with Battery "D". 109th A.A.A. A.W. Bn for eight months and twelve days. He left for the Pacific Theatre of Operations on 5 May 1945 and served one year, four months, and nineteen days overseas. Military occupation specialty was Salvage Technician 194.  He received the W.W.II Victory Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Theatre Ribbon, Philippine Liberation Ribbon, Good conduct Medal, Army Occupation Medal [Japan] and two Overseas Service Bars. Lisle's highest rank was Tech/5. Civilian occupation: Farmer, Elliott, Iowa


Adams, Lynn entered active service on 29 January 1943 at Ft. Crook, Nebraska and was discharged on 11 November 1945 at Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas. Training was taken with the 32nd Medical Training Battalion at Camp Grant, Illinois. He departed from the United States and arrived in Gaya, India on 18 September 1943, serving two years, three months and six days in the 99th Station Hospital in Gaya. His rank at discharge was X-ray Technician "3."  "I lost one day in my life by crossing the International Date Line and going around the world.  After returning home I moved my family to my father's home place and farmed until retiring about 1974.  My son is now on the farm and until recently I helped him by running errands and doing odd jobs."  Lynn lives in Elliott, Iowa.


Agnew, Wayne B. was born on 6 March 1910, and served in the Transportation Corps of the Army Engineers. He was killed in France on 5 December 1944 as a result of an accidental gunshot wound. By that date he had been in the service about 2 years. At the time of his death he was a Private First Class.


Alm, Carl Verner entered the service on 30 March 1945 and served with the U.S. Marines. He received a Medical Discharge under Honorable Conditions on 30 May 1945. His rank at the time of his discharge was a Private. Civilian occupation:  Farming


Almquist, Oscar entered the service on 17 March 1943 at Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas and received his discharge at Camp Grant, Illinois on 23 February 1946. He joined the 450th Medical Collection Co., 78th Div. at Camp Butner, North Carolina, and remained there until he was sent overseas. His foreign service was in the European Theater with his entire tour of duty in Germany from October 1944 to the end of the war. Oscar Participated in campaigns in the Ardennes, the Rhineland and Central Europe. Awards include 2 Overseas Service Bars, American Campaign Medal, European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with 3 Bronze Battle Stars, Good Conduct Medal and W.W.II Victory Medal. He was a Private First Class at the time he was discharged. His foreign service was in the European Theater with his entire tour of duty in Germany from October 1944 to the end of the war. Civilian occupation: Accounting for a trucking and truck manufacturing company. Oscar lives in Florence, Oregon.


Anderson, Alfred O. (37260486) was inducted into the service on 22 August 1942 and entered active duty on 7 September 1942. He server with the 55th Floating Spare Parts Department. He was trained at Ft. Lawton, Washington and Camp Plauche, Louisiana. Separation from duty was on 16 January 1946 at Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas. Alfred qualified as Rifle Marksman and received the Good Conduct Medal. He served in Alaska in the Asiatic-Pacific Theatre of  Operations.  He was stationed in the U. S. for one year, two months and twenty-nine days and was overseas for two years, one month and twenty-four days.His rank at discharge was Tech. Sergeant.


Anderson, Darwin A. entered the service on 24 June 1942 and was discharged on 7 December 1945, having served 3 1/2 years. He was assigned to the 17th General Hospital, 5th Army in North Africa and Italy.  He received the Good Conduct Medal, the European Theatre Ribbon with 2 Stars, American Theatre Ribbon and the W.W.II Victory Medal.  His rank at discharge was Corporal. Civilian occupation: Retired from the University of  Iowa Physical Plant.

Anderson, Elmer "Dean" the son of Mr. & Mrs. Elmer N. Anderson, was born 15 November 1911 near Red Oak, Iowa. He entered the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland and graduated in 1935. He served on the USS Astoria, USS Philadelphia, USS Williams, and the USS Truxon, in the Atlantic Ocean. Elmer was awarded the American Campaign Medal, American Defense Medal, and World War II Victory Medal. He lost his life on February 19, 1942 due to a navigation error and bad weather conditions which caused three ships to run aground off St. Lawrence, Newfoundland while on convoy duty. At the time of his death he was 30 years old and held the rank of Lieutenant USN. Submitted by his sister, Margaret Hillman of Sioux City, Iowa


Anderson, Elmer Donald Clifford entered the service on 24 August 1942 and was discharged 31 May 1945. He served in the Field Artillery, 96th Division in the Pacific Theatre of Operations during the Philippine Island Campaign. Awards include the Good Conduct Ribbon, Philippine Liberation Ribbon, three Bronze Battle Stars, Bronze Arrowhead Ribbon, Asiatic-Pacific Ribbon and the Purple Heart. He participated in the campaign at Leyte Island in the Philippines. He received a serious head wound during the invasion of Layte Island on 27 November 1944, and returned to the United States in December, 1944. He was hospitalized at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Auburn, California, and later transferred to a hospital in Camp Carson, Colorado. While still at the hospital he received his Honorable Discharge. At the time of his separation from service he was a Private First Class. He farmed until his retirement and died on 31 December 1979. Submitted by his wife, Dorothy Anderson


Anderson, Elmo E. (Andy) (37483542) from Elliott, Iowa, was  inducted into the army in July 1943 at Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas. He was assigned to Headquarters of the 2nd Army.  He was discharged from service on 10 November 1945 at Kennedy General Hospital in Memphis, Tennessee. Campaigns participated in were Northern France and Germany. He was awarded European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with 3 Bronze Battle Stars, Good Conduct Medal, American Theatre of Operations Medal, W.W.II Victory Medal and Meritorious Service Unit Plaque. His military occupation specialty was Multilith and Multigraph Operator and he qualified as Rifle Marksman. He arrived in Scotland on 18 June 1944 and served in England; France, on two different occasions; in Holland and Germany before returning to the United States on 6 August 1945. He was a Private First Class at the time of his discharge. Following the end of the war he worked for KO-Z AireFurnace and Sheet Metal. Andy died on 9 March 1995. Submitted by his wife, Sarah B. (Bea) Anderson


Anderson, Gerald W. (17123234) entered the service on 29 September 1942 at Ft. Crook, Nebraska and was discharged on 7 June 1944 from Fairfield-Susuin Air Base in California. He was assigned to the 23rd Transportation Group, Air Transport Command, and trained in Miami Beach, Florida and Chanute Field, Illinois. He was awarded Good Conduct Medal, American Theatre Ribbon. Civilian occupation: Farmer


Anderson, Harold W. (01308082) entered the armed service 2 April 1942 and was sent to the 90th Infantry Division at Camp Barkley, Texas as a buck private. "After going to Officer's School at Ft. Benning, Georgia, I was assigned to the 80th Infantry Division at Camp Forest, Tennessee. I went to Camp Philips, Kansas and on to desert maneuvers in Arizona. We Left for the European Theatre of War on 6 June 1944 on the Queen Mary. When I arrived in Europe sixty days later, the 80th Division was made a part of Patton's 3rd Army."  "The first big battle was at Falaise Gap in France. Pressing on eastward, and after many battles, our outfit was involved in the Battle of the Bulge at Bastogne, Belgium, driving a wedge into the German lines to get American wounded soldiers out." Lt. Anderson's awards include the Bronze Star, Unit Citation, Meritorious Service Unit Plaque, European Theatre of Operation Ribbon with 4 Battle Stars and Combat Infantry Badge. "After VE Day, I was attached to an Armored Division for Transportation back to the States and was discharged in December 1945 as a Lieutenant." He now lives in Red Oak, Iowa.


Anderson, Hubert A. was born in 1918 and graduated from the Villisca, Iowa, High School in 1937. He served in the 14th Armored Division at Ft. Chaffee, Arkansas and was stationed in Kentucky before he was sent overseas in 1943. A back injury caused him to receive a disability discharge from service. Hubert was a sergeant at the time of his discharge. He retired as a U. S Mail Carrier and was also a farmer, cattle raiser and timber producer in Mississippi. Submitted by Stanley E. Anderson


Anderson, Lyman E. (37692093) was born 9 June 1910 at Stanton, Iowa, and entered service on 16 March 1944 at Camp Dodge, Iowa. He was separated from service on 30 December 1945 at Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas. He served with the 871st. Aviation Engineer Battalion as a Storage Battery Electrician and he also qualified as Rifle Marksman. Awards he received were the Philippine Liberation Ribbon with on Star and Good Conduct Ribbon. He served at two stations in New Guinea and traveled in convoy to Luzon Island, Philippines with the 871st Aviation Engineer Battalion. He was also at Clark Air Base for a short time. The battalion had built an airstrip nearby and were getting ready for Japan when the war was over. He left the Philippines for home on an aircraft carrier and docked at San Francisco, California. His rank at discharge was Private First Class.


Anderson, Marion "Pinky" entered the service on 8 May 1942, departing from Red Oak (Iowa) by bus from the Hotel Johnson and arrived at Ft. Des Moines, Iowa for shots, hair cut clothing, etc. "My basic training was taken at Ft. Knox, Kentucky. We had maneuvers in Tennessee then went on to Ft. Jackson, South Carolina. " While at Ft. Knox I was in the 8th Armored Division. Later I transferred to the 750th Tank Battalion and was in the European Theatre. "I participated in the Rhineland Campaign and the Ardennes Campaign in the Battle of the Bulge, and received two Bronze Battle Stars. I also received the Purple Heart for shrapnel wounds received in Cologne, Germany. That was my lst action as the war in Europe ended before I recovered. I returned to my unit 6 July 1945. "The 750th was attached to the Occupational Forces in Berlin, Germany. "I returned to the U.S. and was discharged from Jefferson Barracks, Missouri on 17 January 1945. My military occupation was gunner on a medium Sherman Tank. "My length of service was two years and eight months. While stationed at Ft. Knox, I was in the tank destroyer unit as a tester, giving the weapon a complete trial in efforts to find any flaws and to remedy them. Tests were made for strength and stability, new types of treads and, most particularly, of the various types of tank engines. Tank testers put 40 M-1 General Sherman Tanks over the bumps at Ft. Knox 24 hours a day, six days a week. Spending virtually all their waking hours with the tanks, members of the testing crews became attached to the "lumbering blitzbuggies." Pools were run backing the performance of favorite tanks with the kitty going to the tank that ran up the most mileage with the fewest breakdowns during a specified time. "My rank at discharge was Buck Private. Civilian occupation: Parts manager for Ford Dealerships in Council Bluffs, Iowa and in Downey, California and part owner of Anderson Bros. Ford in Shenandoah, Iowa. He retired from Smith Ford in Garden Grove, California in 1986 as parts manager, and lives in California.


Anderson, Norman C. graduated from the University of Iowa in 1942. He entered Columbia University where he was commissioned an Ensign. He served 1 1/2 years aboard the U.S.S. Phoenix. He arrived home in the spring of 1946 and was discharged from the U.S. Naval Reserve on 1 October 1956. The U.S.S. Phoenix, known as the "Fu-Bird" to the crew, was engaged in battle with the Japanese at Pearl Harbor and, until its triumphant return to the Philippines, was engaged in 30 operations against the enemy with only one killed and one missing. The Phoenix also saw action on the Atlantic. Only 27 of the crew were wounded during this time.  The ship did convoy duty for a year after Pearl Harbor between Hawaii and the U.S. Then it served in the Indian Ocean and also escorted convoys to Ceylon and Bombay. Some time was spent in the Coral Sea. He was discharged with the rank of Lieutenant. Norman died in January 1984 and is buried in the National Cemetery at Ft. Logan, Colorado. Submitted by sister, Kathryn Schenck


Anderson, Orville A. (37194573) was born 7 January 1906, and inducted into the armed services on 8 May 1942 in Des Moines, Iowa. He was discharged from duty 14 August 1943 at Ft. Campbell, Kentucky. He served with Battery "C", 495th Armored Field Artillery Battalion and was transferred to the enlisted Reserve Corps on the date of his discharge. He received his discharge, as a Private, from the Reserve on 26 September 1944. He died on 112 March 1984 and is buried in the Villisca, Iowa Cemetery.


Anderson, Randolph O. (37473422) entered service on 15 February 1943 at Ft. Crook, Nebraska and was discharged on 15 November 1945 at Jefferson Barracks, Missouri. His training was taken at Camp Callan, California; Los Angeles, California and Camp Davis, North Carolina. He served overseas from February 1944 to 9 November 1945, in New Guinea, Luzon and Philippine Islands, with the 50th C.M.P., 2238th S.L. Battalion. He was award the Asiatic Pacific Theatre Ribbon with Stars, Philippine Liberation Ribbon with 1 Star, W.W.II Victory Medal and Good Conduct Medal. Randolph is deceased.


Anderson, Reuben Edward was born 16 March 1902 at Stanton, Iowa and inducted into the service on 24 June 1943 at Ft. Des Moines, Iowa. He was discharged on 26 September 1944 at Omaha, Nebraska. He served in the Provisional Company, Sta. Compl. Bn. Reuben died 15 February 1974 and is buried in the Mission Cemetery in Montgomery County, Iowa.


Anderson, Stanley E. was born 8 July 1922 at Villisca, Iowa and graduated from Villisca, Iowa High School in 1940. He attended Iowa State from 1941 to 1943 where he a was member of the R.O.T.C. He entered the United States Army in April 1943 and served until October 1946 and was discharged with the rank of Captain. Stanley attended Officer's Candidate School, Medical Service Corps at Camp Barkley, Texas and was commissioned as second Lieutenant on 17 November 1943. He was stationed at the General Hospital Medical Training Center at Santa Fe, New Mexico and served at Ft. Lewis, Washington till September 1944 at which time he was sent to the European Theatre until July 1946. He Served with the 90th Inf. Division as Battalion Surgical Assistant with rank of 1st Lieutenant and as adjutant at the 58th Field Hospital from September 1945 to July 1946. Stanley was involved in four campaigns in France until the end of W.W.II. Stanley retired as a Lt. Col. from the U.S. Army Reserve. Civilian occupation: Animal Scientist, College Professor and Breeder of Registered Angus Cattle. Stanley and his wife, Elizabeth "Betty" Daley, were married 24 June 1944. She also served in W.W.II as a Hospital Dietician. The Anderson's line in Springfield, Missouri.


Anderson, Victor entered the service on 27 January 1943 and was discharged from duty on 30 November 1945. He saw service with the 47th Infantry Regiment, participating in action in Germany (Rhineland). Awards received included the W.W.II Victory Ribbon, the European-African-Middle Eastern Ribbon with one Bronze Service Star, Combat Infantry Badge, Purple Heart and ATCM. He was wounded in action in Germany on 13 March 1945. Rank at the time of discharge was Private First Class. Civilian occupations: Bus driver, policeman and truck driver until the time of his death. Submitted by wife, Laura Anderson


Anderson, Wayne Robert entered service on 16 March 1944 and was discharged on 16 May 1946. He served in the Rhineland Campaign and received the Marksmanship with Carbine Badge, Combat Infantryman Badge, W.W.II Victory Medal, European-African-Middle Eastern Theatre Ribbon with two Bronze Battle Stars, two Overseas Bars and Good Conduct Medal. Civilian occupations: Farmer for 30 Years; lawn and garden store and repair for 10 years. Wayne died 11 July 1989.


Ankeny, Isaac W. was born 23 January 1904 and enlisted as a Seabee in the Navy on 17 August 1942 at Creston, Iowa. He Was Honorably discharged on 14 November 1945 at Minneapolis, Minnesota. His basic training was received at the Great Lakes Training Center in Illinois. He was then sent to Norfolk, Virginia and sailed from there for the Pacific. He served at the NTS NOB, Norfolk, Virginia and the 36th Navy CB. He was Gunner's Mate 2/C until he landed on the islands. He participated in action in the Solomons, Fiji Islands, Marshall Islands, and New Hebrides. He was also on Okinawa and Bougainville. His service in the Pacific lasted from 1942 to 1945. His duty on shore was that of dynamite expert, a trade he had learned while coal mining with his grandfather and father. Rank at time of discharge was Chief Gunner's Mate. He died on 23 July 1972. Submitted by niece, Anna Marie Patterson


Ankeny, Milton Elmo (8604379) was born on 19 November 1907 at Villisca, Iowa and inducted into service on 7 April 1944 at the Navel Reserve Station, Des Moines, Iowa. At the time of his enlistment he was married with three children. Places of service included the Naval Training Station at Farragut, Idaho; Camp Bradford, Norfolk, Virginia; PhibTra Base, Solomons, Maryland and aboard the USS Helious. He served as a cook while on ship patrolling the West Coast of the United States. He was separated from service on 22 October 1945 at Minneapolis, Minnesota with the rank of Seaman First Class. Milton died in 1978. Submitted by niece, Anna Marie Patterson


Archer, Merle E. (37189242) was born on 24 October 1913 at Villisca, Iowa and inducted into service on 24 March 1942 at Ft. Des Moines, Iowa. He Received his discharge on 19 August 1945 at Ft. McClellan, Alabama. Part of his service time was spent at the Infantry Replacement Center at Camp Maxey, Texas. His military specialty was Rifleman and he qualified with  the M1 Rifle. He participated in the battle of the Aleutian Islands. Awards received were the American Theatre Ribbon, the Asiatic-Pacific Theatre Ribbon with one Bronze Battle Star, the Good Conduct Medal and the W.W.II Victory Medal. He arrived in the Asiatic-Pacific Theatre on 30 August 1942 and returned to the United States on 16 April 1944. He was Private First Class at discharge.


Artlip, Charles R. (37473373) was inducted into service on 15 February 1943 at Ft. Crook, Nebraska, and separated from duty on 1 March 1946 at Jefferson Barracks, Missouri. He served in the 46th Coast Artillery, Headquarters Battery "A", 783rd Field Artillery Battalion. His entire service of three years and seventeen days was spent in the United States. His military specialty was Cook and he qualified as a Carbine Sharpshooter. Charles received the W.W.II Victory Ribbon, American Theatre Ribbon and Good conduct Medal. His rank at discharge was Technician 4. "Buzz" and his wife, Elaine, live at Tennville, Iowa, near Villisca. Civilian occupations: Produce business route man.


Artlip, Delbert Dean Jr. entered service on 12 October 1941 and served in Company "A", 34th Bn. C.S.C.R.T.C. and the 300th Signal Heavy Construction Company. He was signal corps instructor and served in the U. S. He received expert medals for carbine and the rifle. He was discharged on 4 December 1945 at Ft. Dix, New Jersey as a Technician Third Grade. Civilian occupations: Carpenter and mason. Dean is deceased. Submitted by wife, Nettie Artlip


Atkinson, Cecil L. entered service on 4 April 1944 and received his discharge on 13 December 1945. He served with the 1892nd Engineer Aviation Battalion as a Construction Foreman and he qualified as a rifle expert. Cecil saw service in New Guinea and the Ryukyu Islands. Awards included the Sharpshooter Medal and Good Conduct Medal. His rank at discharge was Tec. 4 (Sergeant). Submitted by Leona Atkinson


Ayers, Duane "Stub" left Red Oak, Iowa with a group of inductees for Ft. Leavenworth, Kansas. On 22 November 1942 he departed for the Panama Canal Zone, where he served with the 87th Coast Artillery until June 1944. He was stationed at Camp VanDorn, Mississippi from July until December 1944. In January 1945 he left the United States to serve with the 63rd Blood and Fire Division in Germany and France. He served there until November 1945 and was honorably discharged on 30 November as Tech 4. He was awarded one Service Stripe, four Overseas Service Bars, American Campaign Medal, European-African-Middle Eastern Theatre Ribbon with three Bronze Battle Stars, Good Conduct Medal and W.W.II Victory Medal. After the war, Duane was manager of the Supply Store on the square in Red Oak for four years. Then he was employed by Milledge Hardware and Hunt's Super Valu until 1955 when he and his brother, Roy, bought The Little Super Market on Broadway. They also built and operated the A&W drive-in on Broadway from 1960 to 1963 when it was sold to Roy. He owned the Green Parrot for three years and then the Crest Men's Clothing Store which he owned when he retired in 1979. Submitted by Marjorie Ayres