BATES, PETER R., Mayor of the city of Villisca. Mr. Bates was born November 12, 1824, in Schoharie County, New York. At the age of sixteen went to the city of Rochester; attended a graded
school for one year. then to Geauga County, Ohio, and engaged in the manufacturing of wagons and buggies, having previously learned the trade under his brother in New York State; continued in
that business and farming and stock raising until 1856; then engaged in buying stock, and wool until 1861; then went to Chicago and engaged in buying and shipping stock until 1866; then moved
to Garden Grove, Iowa, and engaged in the same business with the addition of feeding stock, was there until 1868; then went to Mount Pleasant and engaged in the same business until 1870, and
them removed to this place, following the same occupation until 1877. In the spring of 1873 was appointed justice of the peace for Jackson township, and was elected to the same office the next
fall and has continued to fill that office ever since. In the winter of 1874 was elected mayor of Villisca, and has filled that office ever since, with the exception of the year 1876. Was married
October 16, 1845, to Mrs. Hanna H. Smith, who was born August 20, 1826, in Geauga County, Ohio. they have had five children, two dead: Charles L., born June 11, '60; Theron C., Feb. 15, '66;
Mary E., Nov. 7, '67. Those deceased, Harmony V., born January 8, '55, died Sept. 16, '63; Sanford G., born Nov. 22, '46, died March 19, '69.
BOWMAN, JAMES P., carpenter for C. B. & Q. railroad, P. O. Villisca. Was born February, 1845, in Gallia County, Ohio. He removed with his parents to Perry County, Illinois, in 1858, and
remained there until 1863. August 11, 1863 enlisted in company H, Fifty-eighth Illinois infantry, under Gen. Smith. The first engagement was at Nashville, Tennessee, and was victorious; was in
two general engagements; drove team for supplies most of the time in Sixteenth army corps; was mustered out in the spring of 1866, during which time his parents had moved to Ogle County,
Illinois, where he went and remained one year. After wards moved to Waterloo, Blackhawk County, Iowa. Here he engaged in plastering and brick-laying for two years; then returned to Ogle
County, Illinois. In 1870 came to Afton, Union County, Iowa, remaining there for one and a half years, engaged in the mason business. In 1872 came to Villisca, Montgomery County. On the 28th
of February, 1873, was married to Cassandra J. Lewis, who was born January 27, 1853. Her parents' names were John D. and Jane. They have three children: Joseph D., born May 19, '73; Lillie
M., May 14, '76; and Julia E., August 9, '79.
BURLESON, DAVID G.; was born in town of Tyre, Seneca County, New York, December 10, 1842. Moved to Branch County, Michigan, in 1853. His father died February 28, 1855. He then
lived with his uncle, Mr. E. T. Gardner, until the breaking out of the rebellion. August 24, 1861, enlisted as a soldier in company D, 11th Michigan volunteer infantry; Colonel William J. May
commanding the regiment. Received marching orders for Louisville, Kentucky, December 10, 1861, where his actual military service commenced. Was in eight battles, besides a large number of
skirmishes. The first was at Stone River, Tennessee, lasting five days, then the rebels evacuated in the night. The next day the soldiers were singing, (as happy as toad frogs in a willow swamp)
from all parts of the army:
"After five day's hard fight,
They skedadled in the night," etc.
Mr. B. relates of conversing with the rebels on the picket line in front of Chattanooga, during the battle of Lookout Mountain, which was in plain view, with the exception of a small part of the
army that was above the clouds. Mr. B. has kept a diary for twenty years, including the civil war, which is quite interesting to read, as it gives a true history of a soldier's every day life. We notice
one item of interest, dated June 27, 1864. While building breastworks, (before the battle of Kenesaw
Mountain), for protection against a heavy charge from the enemy, which was momentarily
expected, Mr. B. took a squad of men to cut down a pine tree which stood a few yards from the works. They had scarcely started when a cannon ball from the rebels' guns struck the tree and cut it
to the ground. They very politely thanked the Johnnies for their kindness in assisting largely in strengthening the works. Mr. B. carries the same watch he carried through the war; it has his name,
company and regiment engraved on the case; it was so well known in the company as the correct time keeper, that the boys would scarcely ever call for anything but the correct time. When
compelled to retreat on double-quick time, through the cedars at Stone river, the chain caught on a sapling and severed from the watch and lost forever, as all soldiers know there is but little time
to stop for lost articles when retreating before the enemy at the point of the bayonet. Mr. B. served a little over three years under Gens. Thomas, Grant and Sherman, holding the position of first
sergeant. Received a slight wound at the battle of Atlanta, Georgia. Was mustered out September 30, 1864, returning to his uncle, E. T. Gardner. Remained until April, 1867, when he started for
the west, (taking Horace Greeley's advice), stopping at Council Bluffs, Iowa, with Messrs. Arthur & Morse, for two years, in the grain and produce business, then returned to Michigan. Was
married March 24, 1869, to Miss Addie Shoemaker, of three Rivers, Michigan; her birth place, Bellevue, Huron County, Ohio, November 4, 1849. They returned to Council Bluffs; remained until
October, 1869, when they moved across the country to Villisca. Mr. B., still in the employment of Arthur & Morse, loaded the first car of grain that was shipped from Villisca, in April, 1873. Mr.
Burleson and Mr. Alger formed a co-partnership and continued in the grain business until June, 1875, when Mr. Alger sold out to Mr. C. H. Smith, and from that time the business has been
carried on by Smith & Burleson with great success. Mr. and Mrs. B. have one child living, Clara Isabel, who was born in Villisca, Iowa, September 23, 1880. She is a very promising child, and
Mr. B. thinks in a few years will be the belle of Quality Hill. They have lost two boys since they moved to Villisca. Mr. B's. father's and mother's names were Charles and Phebe; their family
consisted of fourteen children -- eleven boys and three girls. M. B. is the only one of the boys now living. Mrs. B's. father's and mother's names were Joel and Catharine Shoemaker; their family
consisted of five children -- two boys and three girls. Mr. B. started out in life without a dollar in the world, accumulating a small fortune during the war; then striking out for the west and
attending close to business has built up a large trade. May success go with him through life. Note: There is a photo of Burleson on p. 593 of the book
CLAYTON, B. F., Shepard & Co., livery and sale stable: Mr. Clayton was born in Fairfield County, Ohio, July 3, 1839, when at the age of three years his parents moved to Miami County,
Indiana, where they were engaged in farming. Left there when about eighteen years old; worked on the farm. Then in 1857, went to Niles, Michigan, and was engaged in the livery business until
he enlisted in company K, Twenty-ninth Indiana volunteer infantry in 1861. Participated in the battles of Pittsburg Landing, Chattanooga, and through with Sherman to the sea, and never got a
scratch. Was sick about six months in the three years service. His company under Captain John Cutler, made a dash on the enemy's artillery and captured the whole
thing, but the captain lost his
life by a cannon ball striking him in the waist and cutting him in two pieces. Clayton was mustered out at Indianapolis in 1865, and went home to Michigan and engaged in the livery business
until 1871, when he moved to Montgomery County, and settled in Villisca and went to farming, until 1875, when he went into the livery business, in which he still continues. He was married to
Miss Mary Ann Ritter in 1860, in St. Joe County, Indiana. They have three children: Emma, born July 25, 1861; Mary E.,
born December, 1863; Sadie, born 1869. Mr. Shepard was born in 1856,
in Union County, Iowa, and came to Villisca in 1871, at which time he engaged in the livery business
with Mr. Clayton, and was married to Miss Emma Clayton in the spring of 1878, in Villisca.
They have one child, Frank, about eighteen months old.
COOPER, FILSON, physician and surgeon, P. O. Villisca; was born in Venango County, Pennsylvania, May 7, 1837, and removed to Ohio in 1844. Was educated at Cumberland, Ohio, and
attended lectures at the Eclectic College of Cincinnati, and began the practice of medicine in Ohio, and continued to practice for eight years. Went into the army in 1863 as a private soldier one
year, but remained in the medical department. In 1868, came to Villisca, Iowa, and began the practice of his profession. At that time Villisca was but a small village. The Doctor is a charter
member of the Villisca lodge of Odd Fellows, and also a member of the A. O. U. W. Was married to his present wife, Sarah D. Bullock, in Villisca in 1872. Has three children by his former wife:
Elmer A., aged nineteen; Emmett J., aged sixteen; and William F., aged twelve. And by his present wife, one Ettie May, aged thee years. The Doctor has a large practice, extending over twenty
miles of territory around Villisca. He confines himself to no special practice, but has devoted much time and study to the eye and lungs. He has been the longest in practice of any physician in the
city of Villisca.
CORNELIUS, JAMES T., carpenter and joiner, P. O. Villisca, Iowa. He was born February 10, 1841, in Tuscarawas County, Ohio; removed with his parents to Harrison County, when he was
about six years old, and lived there until August 11, 1862, when he enlisted in company F, Ninety-eighth infantry, under captain Butts, in the command of general Jackson. His first engagement
was a t Perryville, Kentucky; was in five regular engagements besides a number of smaller skirmishes; was wounded at Kenesaw mountain, June 22, 1864, in left arm; Sherman was in command;
was taken to hospital and remained there five months, and in November was transferred to Veteran reserve corps; was mustered out July 14, 1865; was promoted to fourth corporal March 14,
1864, at Rossville, Georgia. After his discharge he returned to his home in Harrison County, Ohio, and engaged as a clerk in the store of J. Baker, dry goods and groceries, for one year, then
worked on the railroad for a year, and on the 31st day of May, 1866, was married to Mary A. Stubbins, who was born May 10, 1846, in Ohio. They have had five children: Elliot M.,
25, 1868,; Ida L., January 13, 1871; Lotta B., August 3, 1873; Charles B., September 6, 1876; one daughter deceased. In 1877 he came form his old home to Villisca and engaged in the
carpentering and cabinet business.
COWGILL, JONATHAN B., blacksmith, P. O. Villisca. Mr. Cowgill was born April 5, 1847, in Highland County, Ohio. His father died while he was an infant; he remained with his mother;
she married M. J. Hadley in 1858. Mr. Cowgill left home in 1865, and went to Indiana and hired to the firm of Nicholson Bro's, book dealers, and remained with them three years. On the 26th day
of September, 1871, was married to Miss Louisa Kimbrough, who was born in 1850, in Clinton County, Ohio. They have had two children, one dead: Howard,
born December 6, 1878, Retta, died
September, 1876. Mr. Cowgill attended Earlham College, Indiana, for about three years. He began his trade of machinist and blacksmith in 1865, in Indiana, engaged chiefly on job work.
CRUSE, WM. H., of the firm of Sullivan & Cruse, restaurant, P. O. Villisca. Mr. Cruse was
born December 30, 1857, in Limestone County, Texas. His father, Hiram Cruse, was
born March 7,
1820, in the state of Ohio; after he was married he moved to Illinois, then to Texas, and there engaged in farming. His mother, Mary, was
born in 1825, in Ohio. Mr. Cruse has seven brothers
and five sisters, all living: Catharine, John, Annie, Elizabeth, Rebecca, Hiram, William, Douglass, Richard, Dennis E. and Mary A. (twins), and Seymour, six of whom are married. He removed
with his father to Illinois, and was there fifteen years, engaged in farming. In 1874 came with his parents to Wapello County, Iowa, and remained there three years, then to Page County, living
there four years, following farming until January, 1881, when he engaged in his present business in this city.
ELLIS, WILLIAM W., P. O. Villisca; born in Wilkesbarre, Pennsylvania, March 18, 1840. Educated at home. Entered the army April 16, 1861; enlisted as a private for three months, and served
his time, returning as acting quartermaster. Raised a company and with his company joined Birney's Zouaves. Was wounded at Fair Oaks, in the shoulder; and at Fredericksburg, in 1863, in the
loin and compound fracture of left leg, while taking part in the famous charge of the Light Division, (61st Pennsylvania regiment); on account of his extreme youth he was known
as the "Boy
Captain." Gave up his captaincy, voluntarily, for first lieutenancy, but was promoted for bravery at Fair Oaks. Also wounded at Fredericksburg. Was in
the battles of Williamsburg, Savage's
Station, Fair Oaks, Malvern Hill, and in the seven days' fight at Fredericksburg, Antietam and South Mountain. After being wounded at Fredericksburg, was taken to Washington, and after
convalescing was transferred to the "veteran reserve corps," by order of the president, and confirmed by congress, and remained in service until discharged in 1866. He went into business at his
old home. In 1870 he removed to Villisca, and is now engaged in the grain trade at that place, owning the elevator there, buying and shipping a large amount of grain annually. He is now colonel
of the Fifth regiment Iowa National Guards; was elected colonel in April, 1880. (A history of this regiment will be found in another part of this book.) Col. Ellis is a member of
the Masonic and
Odd Fellows lodges of Villisca. Was married to Maggie Sleppy in 1861. They have four children: Arthur W., aged nineteen, Emmor, aged seventeen, Walter S., aged fourteen, and Maud T., aged
thirteen. Col. Ellis has proved himself to be a brave man and worthy soldier, going at the first call of the government and remaining until the country was redeemed and peace declared.
FISHER, ORANGE A., carpenter and joiner, P. O. Villisca; was born January 23, 1832, in Brown County, Ohio; his father was a Dunkard minister. Mr. Fisher moved with his parents to Indiana,
remaining there until he was twelve years of age, when he went to learn the carpenter's
trade under Mr. Cornwall in La Salle County, Illinois; remained with him for three years, then returned to
Indiana. And on the ninth day of December, 1848, was married to Sarah A. Garver, who was about fifteen years old, Mr. Fisher being only sixteen. By this marriage they have had six children,
one living: William, born December 15, 1852. Mrs. Fisher died November 13, 1863, in Ottawa, Illinois. In
December, 1864, Mr. Fisher was again married to Miss Helen L. Manes, who was born
June 25, 1844, in Berrien County, Michigan. By this marriage they have had five children, four living: Laura E., born June 12, 1866; Florence M., March 24, '69; Maud, November 16, '71; Helen
L., February 22, '77. After Mr. Fisher's marriage the first time he went to Ottawa, Illinois, and engaged in the hotel business, also in the grocery business until the spring of '70, when he came to
Villisca, they engaged in the carpentering business. Mr. Fisher built the first house of any note that was built in Villisca; and has assisted in building all the principal houses in the city.
GALLANER, LEE, harness maker, P. O. Villisca; Mr. Gallaner was born January 20, 1845, in Monroe County, Ohio. At the age of seventeen he enlisted in the army, August 12, 1862, in
company G, thirty-fifth Iowa volunteer infantry, under captain Dickson, in the command of General Tuttle. His first engagement was at Jackson, Mississippi; was in eight general engagements;
mustered out August 12, 1865; was wounded in the left shoulder at Nashville, Tennessee, August 30, 1865. Began the trade of harness making at Attalissa, Iowa; was there four years. Then in
September, 1869, came to Villisca and began business in the grocery line; following that for two years, then clerked for John Neal; then to Clarinda, working at his trade, then to Corning, and in
1874 came to Villisca and engaged in his present business.
HAGEMASTER, HENRY, P. O. Villisca; was born October 30, 1847, in Prussia near Minden. He came with his parents to America via New Orleans, in 1851; stopping at St. Louis he engaged
in wagon making business until 1854; then went to Nashville, Washington County, Illinois; there engaged in same business. In February, 1869, his father died. Mr. Hagemaster continued the same
business in the same place until the fall of 1872, when he came to the city of Villisca. He went to Hawleyville, Page County, remaining there for a year and a half, then returned to Villisca.
October 1, 1870, was married to Miss Sarah J. Winters, born August 25, 1850, in Washington County, Illinois. They have had two children: Cora Bell, born May 12, '73; Ada B., November 17,
1875. Mr. Hagemaster speaks both German and English; also reads and writes both languages. He was educated in Germany, under the German Evangelical Church. He is a member of the M. E.
Church, also of the I. O. O. F. society; he is also in partnership with Mr. Cowgill in handling Morrison Bros'. implements.
HOOVER, REUBEN O., of the firm of Hoover & Reed, liverymen, P. O. Villisca; Mr. Hoover was born September 7, 1847, in Mahaska County, Iowa; parents names were Daniel and Mabel.
His mother died in 1851; Mr. H. remained with his father until he was twenty-two years of age, working on the farm. On the ninth of September, 1868, was married to Miss Margaret R. Mathis,
who was born March 6, 1844, at Campbell Station in Tennessee. She removed with her parents to Missouri, then to Iowa in 1864. They are the
parents of three children: Hattie M., born
September 25, 1869; Cora E., March 4, 1874; John C., August 3, 1876. Mr. H. went to Leon in 1870, stopped a short time in Clarinda, in 1871; came to Villisca in 1874; bought the Bradfield &
Armstrong livery barn and has followed the business ever since. He is a member of
the I.. O. O. F. Mrs. H. is a member of the Old School Presbyterian church.
HOWLAND, JOSEPH M., real estate and loan agent, P. O. Villisca; Mr. Howland was born May 7, 1837, in Ashtabula County, Ohio, living with his parents on a farm until he grew to
manhood. And continued to farm until May, 1871, when he removed to Villisca, and engaged in the real estate and loan business; his real estate business is confined chiefly to town property and
loan business for eastern parties on farm property, although he does something for parties here on personal security. Mr. Howland is a member of the I. O. O. F.; he was married October 3, 1859,
to Margaret Waterman, of Ashtabula County, Ohio. They have five children living: Benton M., Jessie L., Solomon P., Burt J., Pearl L.; one deceased, Minnie L. In his younger days Mr. Howland
taught school in the winter and farmed in the summer.
INGMAN, GEORGE P., P. O. Villisca; Mr. Ingman was born May 17, 1815, in Fairfield County, Ohio, and there grew to manhood; was brought up in the dry goods business which he followed
for the most part through life. In 1840 he engaged in business for himself in Kenton, Ohio, remaining there until 1856, when he removed to Cedar County, Iowa, where he sold goods for five
years; he served as clerk of the courts one year by appointment. He was afterward elected treasurer, serving three consecutive
terms; again he embarked in the dry goods business, continuing in the
trade until the fall of 1870, when he moved to Villisca, Iowa, and engaged in the trade for seven years. Mr. Ingman although "in the sere and yellow leaf," is still active and full of energy. He is a
member of the M. E. church and has been for fifty-three years; his wife was also a member of the church. Mr. Ingman is also a Mason, perhaps the oldest in the county; he first joined the Masons
in 1848; he was married in 1838 to Martha Johns of Kenton, Ohio; they have five children, all living: George J., Edmund B., Mary R., Maria, Rebecca H. His wife died in 1852; he was married
again in 1854 to Harriet Farnum, of Akron, Ohio; she died in February, 1878; was married again February, 1879, to Harriet J. Wheeler, of Potaka, Illinois. Mr. Ingman was elected supervisor first
in 1873 and again in 1877.
KENNEDY, CLARENCE K., of the firm of Powers & Kennedy, proprietors and publishers of the "Villisca Review," Villisca, Iowa. Mr. Kennedy was
born October 20, 1849, in Athens County,
Ohio. When six years of age he moved with his parents to western Pennsylvania, moving again in a short time to western Ohio. In 1859 they removed to LaHarpe, Hancock County, Illinois, and in
1866 to Chariton, Lucas County, Iowa, where his parents still reside. In 1867 Mr. K. began school-teaching, which he followed for two years, then in 1869 he entered Simpson college, at
Indianola; remained there four years, graduating in the "Class of '72," taking second honors. During the time he was in college he also gave some attention to the printing business. After
graduating he again taught school for a short time. In 1874, he, in connection with
another "wielder of the birch" (John Everett by name), bought the Warren County Record, published in
Indianola, Iowa. After about one year's experience there, he sold out, and in the fall of 1875 moved to Villisca, Iowa, and bought the Villisca Review, which he continued to publish until the fall
of 1877, when he sold one-half interest to Mr. Powers, his present partner. (A history of this paper is given on pages 402-3 of
his work.) Mr. Kennedy is a member of the A. O. U. W. society. He
was married August 31, 1873, to Luella M. Green, of Wyoming County, New York; she is also a graduate of Simpson college, Indianola, Iowa; was a member of the "Class of '75." They have
three children living: Walter S., Rex B., and Frederick. Mr. Kennedy is a member of the Delta Taw Delta society, of which society there are chapters in all the principal colleges of the United
LELL, WILLIAM, marshal and constable, P. O. Villisca; Mr. Lell was
born May 5, 1842, in Wurtemburg, Germany. He came to America with his parents in 1854, and located in Laporte
County, Indiana. There he engaged to work as a hand on a farm, following this for four years. He then
went to Bureau County, Illinois, and engaged in farming until April, 1861, when he enlisted
in company C, Seventh Kansas cavalry, under Captain Merriman. His first battle was Halden, Missouri. He was in about thirty-five general engagements; was third sergeant;
reenlisted in 1863,
and served until the close of the war in 1865. Returned to his home in Illinois, and remained there about three years, and was engaged in farming and butchering. In 1868, came to this county and
followed railroading for a time, then butchered in Red Oak, then to Villisca and opened the first regular meat market ever opened there, and continued that business for about four years. July 3,
1879, was appointed marshal of the city of Villisca and was reappointed in March, 1880, and also elected constable in the fall of 1880. In September, 1870, he was married to Miss Mary A. Insco,
who was born in February, 1841, in Indiana. They have had two children: Nellie, born March 17, 1873; William, February 17, 1878.
LUNDY, CYRUS C., dealer in groceries, boots and shoes, P. O. Villisca; Mr. Lundy was born April 3, 1844, in Highland County, Ohio. He moved with his parents to Muscatine, Iowa, in 1847,
and there grew to manhood. August 7, 1862, he enlisted in company B, Thirty-fifth Iowa infantry volunteers, and served until August 7, 1865, having served three years to a day. This regiment
took part in the battles of Jackson, Mississippi; siege of Vicksburg under Grant; and Red River, under A. J. Smith as far as Alexander. At Henderson Hill, twenty miles from Alexander, they took
a four-gun battery and three hundred prisoners without firing a gun. Then in the battle at Pleasant Hill, Marksville, also in the Briar Patch fight near the mouth of Red River. They went north from
there and took another battery between Vicksburg and Memphis. Then to Tupelo, Mississippi, where they burnt a bridge and fought Forrest for two days. Then to Arkansas and followed Price on
his last raid through Missouri, leaving him below Kansas City, and returned to Nashville, remaining there during the siege of that city. Then camped on the Tennessee river, living there six weeks
on shelled corn; then to Fort Blakely. They were mustard out August 7, 1865. Mr. Lundy was never absent from his regiment when it moved except once. He was never wounded or taken
prisoner. He was married to Emma Waterman, of Ashtabula County, Ohio. They have two children living: Frank W., born November 25, 1869; Luther T., January 22, 1878.
MARSH, WASHINGTON, P. O. Villisca; Mr. Marsh was born June 20, 1839, in Oswego County, New York. His father, Elam Marsh, lives with him. Mr. Elam Marsh is the father of six
children; his son Benson B., died in the hospital in Cumberland, Maryland, December 7, 1862; was a member of the one hundred and sixth New York infantry. He was born June 14, 1840; Lucy
L., February 26, 1843; Earl B., March 8, 1845; Samuel E., February 8, 1847; Elam Jr., February 17, 1856; Ellinor, his mother was born May 23, 1812, in Worcester County, Massachusetts. Mr.
Marsh remained with his parents until he enlisted in the army, which he did April 22, 1861, in company B, Sixteenth New York infantry, under Capt. J. M. Pomroy, commanded by Colonel T. A.
Davis. First engagement at the first battle of Bull Run. He was in twenty-two general engagements and about thirty-two skirmishes. Was mustered out May 22, 1863; then returned home; then was
employed by the government to work on the Orange & Alexandria railroad, continued there until August 11, 1865, when he was discharged, and he then returned home to his parents, who had
moved to Westmoreland, New Hampshire; remained there until 1868, when he went to New York City and engaged in queensware and glassware trade with Woodgard, Cotins & Norton, was
there but a short time. In 1868 came to Afton, and then, October, 1869, came to Villisca and has followed painting ever since. His parents came here in 1871. When Mr. Marsh came to Villisca
there were only three inhabitants; his father is the oldest man in Villisca. His father's name was Samuel, jr.; he was
born in Massachusetts. Mr. Marsh went into the army as fourth sergeant and
came out first sergeant.
MOODY, F. J., firm of Moody & Sherman, steam marble works, P. O. Villisca; Mr. Moody was born September 17, 1842, in Delaware County, Indiana. He remained with his parents until he
was of age, engaged in farming. In 1851 went to Henry County, Illinois, and remained about fourteen years; thence to Colorado and Montana and engaged in the mining business there. From there
to Kansas and Texas on a hunting expedition, during which time he had numerous fights with the Indians. At one time they lost four out of six of their party; the two Moffit Bros. were killed in
this encounter. Mr. Moody escaped without any injury. In 1867 went to Indianola where his parents had moved to during his absence, and remained there until 1870, when he came to Villisca. His
father came to Villisca in 1877 and remained here until his death. In 1865, in Illinois, Mr. Moody learned the engineering business under Prof. Jurett, the superintendent of the C., B. & Q. R. R.,
served as an apprentice for two years and in 1870 began the canvassing business for pumps, lightning rods, patent right; also the marble business, and is engaged in the same business at this time.
Has handled high bred horses, and owned the famous "Sciola," formerly "Kate Wisner." which has since sold for four thousand dollars; now in New York City. He engaged in the steam marble
works with his brothers George and Frank in 1874, and in 1876 Mr. Sherman became a partner. He was married, December 25, 18--, to Alice F. Grant, of Cambridge, Illinois, she was born May
14, 18--. Mr. Moody's mother, Cynthia, was born February 10, 1820; his father George, was born October 31, 1815, died February 18, 1879. Mr. and Mrs. Moody have had four children, two
deceased; Orville E., born March 26, 1874; Gilbert, December 20, 1876. Mr. Moody was educated in the seminary in Kewanee, Illinois.
MOORE, PHILIP, meat market, P. O. Villisca; Mr. Moore was born April 17, 1849, in Highland County, Ohio. He removed to Decatur County, Iowa, in 1855 with his parents, and in the spring
of 1856 came to the place where Villisca now stands, and engaged in farming and railroading, his father being a contractor. He also clerked in his father's store, which was one of the first in
Villisca. In 1875 went to California; was there a short time, returned the same year to his home. He began the meat business in this place in 1878. He was married April 17, 1879, to Miss Caroline
Larson, who was born in Sweden, in 1860; came in 1870, with her parents, to America. They have one child: Lawrence T., born January 12, 1880. His parents' names were Thomas and Elizabeth.
MOORE, CHARLES S., Highland House, Villisca; was born
October 21, 1807, in Augusta, Georgia. His father in 1812 moved to Illinois. He remained with his uncle until 1820, attending
school in the meantime in Augusta; then went to his parents in Illinois, and there worked at farming until 1862 when he
went to St. Louis to learn the trade of moulding and machinist. In the spring of 1830 he engaged with the American Fur Company, and in March, 1830, started from St. Louis, going by the way of St. Joseph, Omaha, and west to where the city of Denver now
stands; then divided company and started through the mountains searching for beaver. In the spring of 1831 went into the Deadwood country, remaining there a year. In 1833-34, continued in the
same business, going as far south as New Mexico. In July, 1835, he enlisted in second United States cavalry, in company K, under Captain Nathaniel Boone, and went to Florida,
engaged in that war in several battles with the Seminoles; was at the Ochachobe fight. After his time was out came back to Jefferson Barracks; then went out to the plains again, and out to the
Arkansas river country, an din 1838 returned to Iowa, making headquarters at Ft. Madison. In 1839 he was discharged and in 1840 engaged in blacksmithing at Keokuk. In 1851 was in the employ
of the United States and went to Ft. Dodge and took charge of the government smithing there. In 1852 returned to Keokuk and remained there until April 15, 1859; then started for Denver, but
stopped at Plattsmouth, Nebraska, remaining there until 1862, when he enlisted as veterinary surgeon in the Second Nebraska cavalry; went into the northwest under Capt. Marshal and Gen. Sully;
was mustered out in 1864; worked at smithing for one year at Omaha; came to Villisca. In 1847 Mr. William Moore, brother of Charlie, raised a company in Belleville, Illinois, in which Charles
enlisted and took part in the fight at Rock Island. In 1829 he reenlisted in the same war under Capt. Miller, served his time out and was discharged. December 8, 1846, he was married to Miss
Maria Murch. Have had ten children: Josephine, born August 16, '48; Maria, October 16, '56; Kate, September 8, '60; Charles S., November 8, '64; Nettie, October 2, '67; five deceased. Mr.
Moore was acquainted with the renowned French traders Sarpay and Joe Rubado. In 1836 Mr. Moore was at the present site of Council Bluffs; at that time there was only one house there; and that
was the house of a French trader.
SANFORD, EDWIN S., Agent Hawkeye Insurance Company, Villisca. Mr. Sanford was born March 30, 1819, in Duchess County, New York. His father
died in 1855. In 1860 he came to
Whiteside County, Illinois, and was engaged in the grain trade for six years for one firm; then in the grain and lumber for two years. In 1868 came to Lyons, Iowa, and for a short time was
engaged in the lumber trade there; then to Tama County; then to Mahaska County, and in 1875 came to Villisca, Iowa, and has been engaged in the insurance business ever since. In December,
1842, was married to Miss Ann J. Darling, who was born in 1816, died February 18, 1859. They had five children: Eva J., Henry S., Willie C., two deceased. Henry S. is a merchant in Clinton,
Iowa. Willie C. is a telegraph operator at St. Ansgar, Mitchell County, Iowa. April 11, 1864, was married to Miss Jennie R. Townsend who was born September 20, 1835, in Fountain County,
Indiana. Mrs. Sanford was left an orphan when only ten years old. She came to this state in 1848 to Des Moines. They have had three children: Eddie H., living; Ellen, died March 4, 1866; Ward
L., died January 25, 1873. She began the trade of dressmaking at the age of fifteen, and has followed it ever since. She lived in Des Moines when there were but two stores in the town. The first
piano she ever saw, and the first one in Des Moines, was owned by Miss Clara West, late Mrs. B. F. Allen.
SCHRIVER, JOHN D., dry goods merchant, Villisca. Mr. Schriver was born March 5, 1822, in Adams County, Pennsylvania, and there grew to manhood. In his boyhood days he learned the
tailor's trade in Gettysburg, and afterward went to Mercersburg, Franklin County, and engaged in the tailoring business, but in a short time began handling clothing, and after a time his tailoring
establishment was transformed into a general merchandising concern. He continued here for about ten years. In 1856 he moved
to Kewanee, Illinois, where he engaged in the clothing trade, and
changed - after a year or two, into a general store. He remained in Kewanee until 1871; when he opened a store in Villisca which was managed by his son, John C., Mr. S. remaining in Kewanee
until 1874 when he moved his family to Villisca. Mr. Schriver has been longer in the dry goods business than any man in Villisca, and they have perhaps the largest trade of any house in the town,
selling exclusively for cash. In Kewanee Mr. Schriver did the leading business from 1864 to 1866. Mr. S. is a member of the Masonic fraternity. Married August 19, 1845, to Matilda Stockhouse,
of Mount Joy, Pennsylvania. They have six children living: John C., born January 14, '48, in Pa.; Almira A., January 30 '54, in Pa.; Irene M., October 14, '56, in Ills.' E. Jessie, born March 31, '62;
three deceased. His wife was born December 9, 1823, in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.
SHERMAN, JOSEPH T., of the firm of Moody & Sherman, steam marble works, Villisca, Iowa. Mr. Sherman was born May 26, 1850, in Licking County, Ohio. He remained with his parents
until he was seventeen years of age; at that time he began his apprenticeship in the marble business under K. G. Campbell, in Berlin, Wisconsin. After his three years' service he went to Ripon,
Wisconsin, and engaged with Stewart & Baldwin, in the same line of business, for two
years. Then returned to Berlin and took charge of the works of his former employers, as foreman, and
remained with them about eight years. In 1876 came to this county, locating in Villisca, Iowa; bought the one-half interest in with Mr. George Moody. Then in 1877 removed the business to Red
Oak; remained there about one year; then returned to Villisca and have remained there ever since. At this time Mr. G. Moody sold to his brother, F. J. Moody. He was married September 23, 1873,
to Miss Julia A. Morse, who was born June 7, 1850, in New Hampshire. Came west; stopped a while in Michigan; then to Wisconsin, where she was married to Mr. Sherman. They have had three
children: Cora B, born June 1, '74; Eva in '76; Francis, September 14, '78. The firm does about $5,000 worth of work per annum. The material is obtained from the quarries of Rutland, Vermont.
They manufacture both light and dark colored marble. Mr. Sherman has had the good fortune to never lose a day by reason of sickness. At the age of fourteen he enlisted in company B, 41st
Wisconsin infantry, under Capt. Densmore, as drummer boy; was in the skirmish at Memphis, Tennessee; was in only 40 months.
SMITH, FRANK H., of the firm of F. H. & J. T. Smith, Villisca, Iowa, druggists; Mr. Smith was born August 14, 1852, at Fort Madison, Iowa. Was at Fort Madison only a short time, when he
removed with his parents to Houston County, Minnesota, and was there for 16 years in the drug business, which he began to learn when he was eight years old, under the instruction of his father.
In 1870 he went to Eau Claire, Wisconsin, and engaged in the same business for a short time, then went to Chippewa Falls; then to Winona, Minnesota; then to Milwaukee; then returned to
Minnesota and began business for himself; after three years sold out and went on the road as traveling man for a drug house; continued that business for four years; then in 1876 came to this place
and engaged in present business. October 6, 1878, was married to Gertrude A. Burnham, who was born October 30, 1860. Her father died in 1877. They have one child, Florence H., born
September 4, 1879.
SMITH, C. H., of the firm of Smith & Son, Villisca, Iowa. Mr. C. H. Smith was born March 5, 1830, in Evans, Erie County, New York. Mr. Smith remained with his parents until he was
eighteen years old, and was engaged in the milling business, both lumber and flour. Soon after leaving home he engaged in railroad contracting, following that for three years; then went to
California for one year, and in the spring of 1854 returned from California and located in the city of Buffalo, and engaged with his father in the lumber business,
continuing in this business for
about four years, after which he moved to west Tennessee in 1858, and there engaged in the lumbering business for about two years and a half. In 1861 he moved to Henderson County, Illinois;
bought and repaired the Biggsville mills. In 1862 was joined by his father, and bought the Ellisville mills and distillery, carrying on both until the spring of 1864; then sold at good profit; he then
fitted out a train and crossed the plains to Idaho, arriving there October 1, 1864; prospected for a short time, then went to Oregon; then sailed from San Francisco to New York, arriving December
20, 1864; here purchased machinery for mining purposes, and in the spring of 1865, returned to Idaho, and began the work of placer and quartz mining; followed that for about five years; was
unsuccessful; then worked for wages five years longer in the employ of C. Jacobs, in a flouring mill. In the spring of 1875 came to Villisca and bought the Villisca elevator. He also built the
"Model Mills," at a cost of $10,000. At the time of the purchase of the elevator, he took Mr. Burleson in as partner in the elevator. His son Frederick W. became full partner in 18878. The elevator
has a capacity of about 20,000 bushels of grain. The flouring mill has all the business it can do. Mr. Smith was married July 4, 1856, to Miss Mary F. Watson, who was born April 4, 1842, in New
York state. They have three children, one dead: Frederick W., born February 22, 1858, in Buffalo, New York; Ida M. born May 14, 1866 in Idaho; she is now attending high school in Villisca.
THURMAN, MORGAN S., was born August 27, 1826, in Highland County, Ohio, and there lived until 1866. He was brought up in the mercantile business, which he has followed for the
greater part of his life. In 1866 Mr. Thurman moved to Villisca and opened a general store, the first one of any importance in the town. He was also the first postmaster and the first mayor. At the
time the city built their present school building Mr. Thurman was president of the board. Mr. Thurman has been engaged in the real estate, loaning and insurance business. He has always been
among the foremost looking after the interest of Villisca. He and his wife were charter members of the M. E. Church. It is largely due to the untiring efforts of his wife that they were so successful
in erecting their church building. He is also a member of the I. O. O. F. Was married, September, 1848, to Eleanor Barrett of Highland County, Ohio. They have had four children: Barrett, Horace
G., Cyrus D.; one daughter, Sarah B., died in October, 1862. Barrett began railroading about 1869, and for ten years was a conductor on the C., B. & Q. between Creston and Council Bluffs.
Horace G. bought the Review when but nineteen years old, and when it was in its infancy, and succeeded in placing it on a firm footing. He afterward graduated at the law school at Iowa City, and
has for three years been practicing law at Osceola, Nebraska. Cyrus D. is a graduate of the Villisca school; is now in his eighteenth year, and is teaching his first school. Mrs. Thurman was noted
for her philanthropy and charity, and was a prominent worker in both the church and in the cause of temperance, and, in fact, in every good enterprise.
POWERS, ALPHONSO E., of the firm of Powers & Kennedy, proprietors and publishers of the Villisca Review, P. O. Villisca; Mr. Powers
was born March 12, 1848, in Medina County, Ohio.
When five years of age removed with his parents to Mercer County, Illinois, and in the fall of 1864 moved to Page County, Iowa. He was educated at Rock Island high school and Amity college.
In 1868 he married and moved to his farm in Nodawa County, Missouri, just over the line from Page County. Here he engaged in farming until the fall of 1877, when he moved to Villisca, having
bought one half interest in the Villisca Review. Since that time he has devoted all his time and energies to the editorial work and management of the paper. In this work Mr. Powers has met with
marked success, and shown himself an able editor, furnishing to his patrons morally, as clean a sheet as can be found in the northwest, and at the same time a newsy and spicy paper. Mr. Powers is
a member of the M. E. Church, as is also Mrs. Powers. He is a member of the I. O. O. F., also a charter member of the A. O. U. W. He was married, November 26, 1868, to Miss Inez Noe of
College Springs, Iowa. They have three children living: Zenetta H., born March 12, 1871; Glen R., August 27, 1873; Leona Gail, August 28, 1879.
PRESTON, CHARLES N., P. O. Villisca; born in Steuben County, New York, April 16, 1836, and was educated in the graded schools of that city; he removed to Muscatine County, Iowa, in
1858, and went into business at Atalissa, and continued in business there until the breaking out of the war; enlisted in the army in August, 1862 for three years; was at Vicksburg on the famous
22d of July, was detailed on special duty and so remained during the war; was mustered out at Muscatine on the second of August, 1865, and returned to his
old home and resumed business. In
1870 he removed to Grinnell, Iowa, and went into business, and in 1871 came to Villisca, being one of the first merchants of the town, and to-day ranks as one of the most energetic business men
of the place. He is one of the charter members, and first master of the lodge of A. O. U. W., and is present secretary and past master of the
Masonic lodge; he is also a member of the Presbyterian
church. He was married to his present wife, Flora Robshaw, at Muscatine in 1869; by a former marriage has three children: George W., aged twenty-one years; Willie and Willard, twins, aged
nineteen, born on Washington's birthday; by his present wife has two children: Vida C., aged eight; the other, "baby," born in 1881.
WYMORE, PHYLANDER, carpenter, P. O. Villisca; he was born September 14, 1843, in Montgomery County, Kentucky; remained with his parents until the 29th of September, 1861, when he
enlisted in company C, twenty-fourth regiment Kentucky infantry, under captain Hall; first engagement at Knoxville, Tennessee; was with Sherman as far as Jonesboro, Georgia, then went to
Cincinnati, Ohio, guarding forts until June 31st, 1865, when he was mustered out as first corporal; while in Georgia was building bridges and forts, and was in numerous engagements, among
which was the siege of Atlanta; at the close of the war returned to his home in Kentucky; remained there for about one and one-half years; in 1866 went to Fayette County, Maryland, and in 1867
was married to Miss A. E. Moffett; had one child which died March 2, 1871; Mrs. Wymore died in Indiana in 1869; in October same year, came to Villisca, and has since been engaged at his
trade. November 30th, 1870, was married to Miss Emma S. McCreary, who was born July 31st, 1847, in Morrow County, Ohio; have had three children by this marriage: two living, one dead:
Rosa M., died September 12, 1874; Eva Z., born April 18, 1875, Minnie C., May 16, 1877. His father, David Wymore, was in the same company with him and served through the war; during their
absence in the army the remainder of the family were compelled to leave Kentucky by the rebs, and when he returned after the war he was compelled to pass on, as Union men were not the kind
they wanted in the neighborhood.