|ARNOLD, R. J., farmer, P.O. Grant; born in Mercer
county, Illinois, December 29, 1850; living there until he grew to manhood, and was educated in the district schools of that county. He
moved to Montgomery county, Iowa, in February, 1872, locating near Red Oak, and afterwards moved onto the premises he owns and occupies. Was married March 16, 1878, to Miss Sarah Cantrall, native of Illinois. They are the parents of two children: Bertha E. and Edith M. Mr. Arnold now owns eighty acres of land in section twenty-five of Douglas township, and eighty head of
ARCHER, SARAH, farmer, P.O. Grant; lives on section twenty-one, Douglas township, born in Clark
county, Indiana, November 23, 1818. Her maiden name was Brenton; moved with her
parents at the age of ten years to Clay county, Indiana, where she was married to Benjamin Archer, who was born in Ohio November 3, 1818, who was one of the oldest settlers in this township;
did (sic) January 1, 1868, leaving a wife and eight children living: Patrick, killed at the first battle of Vicksburg, John, Catharine, Eliza, Charles, Frank, Lydia, wife of Solomon McKeever, Benjamin,
ALLARD, ALONZO, P. O. Grant; resides on section twenty-seven, Douglas township. Born in Franklin
county, New York, May 6, 1845, and moved with his parents to Scott county, Iowa,
living there on a farm two and a half miles from Davenport; moved to Montgomery
county, in June, 1861, locating in Douglas Township. Mr. Allard has two hundred and six acres of good land
as can be found in the county; on his farm is the old Indian burying ground, and many evidences of it still exist, such as beads and other articles prized by that peculiar race of human beings. Was
married March 5, 1866, to Shilata Sprague, a native of Indiana; they have three children: Laura Rosalia, George W., Mary Elizabeth, all living. Mr. And Mrs. Allard are both members of the M. E.
Church at Milford, and are regarded as consistent, christian people by their neighbors.
ANDREWS, JOHN G., school teacher, P.O. Grant; born in Hartford, Connecticut, March 27, 1820, and moved at the age of eight years to Trumbull
county, Ohio; and while here learned the
trade of shoemaker, and also received his education in an Academy at Kingsville, Ashtabula
county, Ohio. After finishing his education he taught school during the winter and worked at his trade
during the summer. Moved to Jefferson county, Wisconsin, and in May, 1870, moved to Montgomery
county, Iowa; first locating in Sciola, but soon moved to Milford and worked at his trade a
year or more. Since that time has been teaching, having taught fourteen sessions, teaching in the Milford schools four terms and now teaching his fourth year in Pilot Grove township. Married
October 24, 1846, to Miss Sophronia E. Wheeler, a native of Trumbull county, Ohio. By this union they are the parents of three children: Oscar W., Orrell A., now Mrs. John C. Schuler of
Milford, and Frank L., now teaching in Cass county.
BACON, WILLIAM L., farmer, P.O. Grant; born in Steuben
county, New York, January 3, 1849. When about one year old moved to Tioga county, Pennsylvania. In 1864 moved to McHenry
county, Illinois, farming during the summer and going to school in the winter: remaining there until May, 1873, when he moved to Montgomery
county, Iowa, locating on section 17, Douglas
township, on eighty acres of land which he now owns and which he has well improved, has a good young orchard and a fine young grove. He was married October 18, 1871, to Miss Anna
Stewart, a native of McHenry county, Illinois. They are the parents of two children: Eva A. and Etta M. He is now constable of this township, elected in the fall of 1880; holding other offices
BRENTON, C. PERRY, P. O. Elliott: he was born in Clay
county, Indiana, August 10, 1852. Removed to Iowa in 1854, to Cass county, then to Montgomery
county, where he now lives, and
engaged in farming in 1877. He engaged in stock-business on his own account and has continued it ever since. He was married February 27, 1879 to Lillie Fuller of Montgomery
have two children: Emma L., born January 11, 1880; William F., born January 16, 1881. His father was born in 1828 in Indiana. Died October 2, 1876, at his home in this county. His mother was
born in 1830 and is still living at her home. Mr. Brenton was educated in Nebraska City. He is a member of I.O.O.F.
BRENTON, MARY, farmer, P.O. Grant; was born in Park
county, Indiana. Her maiden name was Mary Merideth. she was married to James L. Brenton, who was born in Clark
May 14, 1824, where he was raised, and was married November 8, 1849, to Mary Merideth. Mr. Brenton died October 2, 1876, leaving a wife and nine children living: Sarah C., P.C., William
Francis, Susan J., Fannie, Mary E., Elvira, Lovica, James F. Mrs. Brenton and children were left with a large farm, well improved and all paid for. They had a farm of 466 acres of land, which is
now divided among the heirs. Mr. Brenton was a kind husband and a loving father and beloved by all who knew him.
BRENTON, W. F., P.O. Grant; lives in Douglas township, section 15; born in Clay
county, Indiana, January 7, 1854. At the age of two years he moved with his parents to this county, where he
now lives and has been educated. Was married to Miss Ida E. Christopher, a native of this county, on the 5th of February, 1879. They have one child: James Oren, born September 28, 1880. Owns
forty acres of land, well improved, with new house.
BRYANT, J. CHILTON, teacher, P. O. Grant; born in Wapello
county, Iowa, May 1, 1855, and was raised in that and Davis county until twenty-one years of age. Was reared on a farm,
attending school in the winter and farming in the summer. He was educated in the North Missouri Normal, at Kirksville, Missouri, graduating in June, 1879. Since that time has followed teaching
constantly; teaching in both Cass and Montgomery counties. He has the name of a first-class teacher. He was married to Mary A. McFadden, a native of Indiana, in Cass
county, November 11,
1879, by Rev. Mr. Clark, of the M.E. Church.
CLOSE, GEORGE V., blacksmith, P. O., Grant; born in Binghamton, Brown
county, New York, January 29, 1842, and lived there until he was twelve years of age. His father died when he was
nine years of age; he was therefore thrown upon his own resources early in life, and at the age of twelve years he went to Alleghany
county, New York, and there began his trade. Having
completed his trade he started for the West, landing in Iowa City in the spring of 1858; carrying on a shop there for a while, then started on a tour through the States and Territories, visiting every
state but two and all the territories, landing, in 1864, at Iowa City, returning the next year to Idaho; finally returning to Albia, Monroe
county in 1868, then engaging in the grain trade, and was
married to Miss Maggie H., a daughter of Capt. John Webb of Albia. They are the parents of three children, one living, Alma E., born Jan. 14, 1875. Mr. Close has a pleasant home in Milford,
also one hundred and sixty acres of land in Kansas. Mr. And Mrs. Close are both members of the M. E. Church of Milford.
CHARD, DAVID, farmer, P. O., Grant; lives on section twenty-one, Douglas township. Was born in Scioto
county, Ohio, February 28, 1831, living there until fifteen years of age, when he
moved to Henderson county, Illinois, with his parents, living there until the spring of 1869, when he moved to Montgomery
county, and located on his present farm of sixty-four acres of land
well-improved. He was married December 3, 1862, to Miss Mary Jane McCartney, a native of Tennessee. Born June 1, 1839. They are the parents of three children living: Delos Phelps, Minnie
D., Oliver D.
CANTRALL, JOHN H., farmer, P.O., Grant; born in Sangamon
county, Illinois, October 1, 1834, and at the age of two years moved with his parents to Whiteside
county, Illinois, where he
was educated in the district schools. Moving to Linn county, Iowa, 1865, where he remained until October, 1872, when he moved to Montgomery
county; and in February 1876, located on
section twenty five in Douglas township, owns a farm of eighty acres situated on what is known as Reid's branch. Was married April 2, 1856, in Whiteside
county, Illinois, to Miss Ellen Stratton,
a native of Rutland, Vermont. They have nine children living; Alice E., now Mrs. William Gurnway, Lenora, now Mrs. Grant Cathcart, Sarah, now Mrs. R.J. Arnold, Nettie T., Edith M., Florence
L., Bertha A., John W., and Charlie.
DAVIS, W. J., farmer and stock raiser, section 20, P. O., Grant; born in Andrews
county, Missouri, August 7, 1852, where he was raised till four years of age, when he with his parents moved to
Mills county, Iowa, on a farm, where he was raised and educated, receiving his education at Tabor College, Iowa. Was married to Miss Sarah F. Stringfield, daughter of C.C. and Kitty
Stringfield, of Missouri, by which union they have two children: Alice E., born August 7, 1875; Woody R., born January 29, 1877. Mr. Davis' farm consists of 370 acres of well improved land;
two good houses, good orchard and endless varieties of small fruits and one of the best watered farms in the township, fed by the very best springs, and would make a good dairy or cheese farm.
Mr. D. stands at the very highest notch in his township, and is well liked by all. He and his wife are members of the Milford circuit of the M. E. Church.
DONOHO, ORLANDO S., carpenter and joiner, P. O., Grant; born in Milford, Montgomery
county, Iowa, September 28, 1855, and was the first white person born (now living) in this
township; has never lived 80 rods distant from the place where he was born. He began his trade in the spring of 1873 and has followed it ever since. He received his education in the schools of
Milford. Was married October 1, 1879, to Miss Lottie Hunt, who was also born within 80 rods of where she now lives. Mr. And Mrs. Donoho were in reality raised and educated together.
DONOHO, ELECTA E., P. O., Grant; lives in Milford. Her maiden name was Sherman, a native of Franklin
county, New York. Born October 28, 1827. Moved to Tazewell county, Illinois,
when ten years of age and was raised there. Married to Mr. Thomas Donoho, a native of Kentucky; born. January 13, 1806; married March 11, 1851; died, November 11, 1868, leaving a wife and
three children; Sarah Florence, now Mrs. John Tighe of this township; Orlando Sherman, the first born white child in the township now living; Alice Maria, now Mrs. Edward Gould, with whom
Mrs. Donoho now lives. Mrs. Donoho was Postmistress here for nearly twenty years.
DIAMOND, D. J., farmer, P. O., Grant; section 8. Born in Oswego
county, New York, in 1838, and moved with his parents at three years of age to McHenry
county, Illinois, and settled on a
farm, where he was raised and educated, and in August, 1862, married to Miss Martha Teabo, a native of Illinois. Of this union they have five children living; Carrie B., Frederick E., William J.,
Ernest P. and Ada A. Mr. Diamond moved to Montgomery county, Iowa, in 1873, locating where he now lives on a farm of 240 acres of well improved land. Enlisted in the Ninety-fifth regiment
Illinois infantry, as a private, and served until the close of the war. Was in thirteen battles, and skirmishes too numerous to mention.
FARLOW, E. J., physician, P. O., Grant; born in Dewitt, Clinton
county, Iowa, August 6, 1851, and moved with his parents at the age of one year, to Page county and located where Clarinda
now stands; from here they moved to Fremont county,; his father being a minister caused them to make frequent moves. Dr. Farlow was educated at Simpson College at Indianola, Iowa, then
taught school two years. He read medicine under B. M. Webster of Shenandoah, and attended lectures at Rush Medical College of Chicago, beginning in the fall of 1874 and graduating in the
spring of 1876; after his graduation he practiced medicine at Union Grove, Page
county, for about six months, and in the fall of 1877 came to Milford, where he has followed it continuously
except about eight months at Tarkio, Page county. He has had the best of success, and now enjoys a good practice. The doctor was married, September 4, 1875, to Miss Eva Hall of Fremont
county, Iowa; by this union they have two children; Carl Clayton, born October 20, 1877; Liola, born June 12, 1880.
FIGGINS, WILLIAM M., farmer, P. O., Grant; lives on section fourteen Douglas township. Born in Perry
county, Indiana, November 7, 1839, and there grew to manhood, farming in the
summer and attending school in the winter. He enlisted in company A, Ninety-first Indiana Infantry, in September, 1862, and was mustered out June 23, 1863; was in the battles of Owensboro,
Kentucky, Knoxville, Tennessee, then through the Sherman raids to Morehead City, North Carolina; then to Richmond; when he was mustered out he came direct to this county and has lived here
ever since and followed farming. Was married, December 19, 1867, to Miss Hulda A. Cart, native of Indiana. They are the parents of three children; Sylvester, Hettie and Alice, all at home.
FIGGINS, A. S., farmer, P. O., Morton's Mills; lives on section thirty-three, Douglas township. Born in Perry
county, Indiana, September 14, 1851, living there until 1865, when he moved to
Douglas township, Montgomery county, Iowa. He received his education in the common schools. He now owns forty acres of good land well improved. Was married May 24, 1874, to Miss
Rachel Rosacrants, native of same place. Married in Perry county, Indiana; have two children, one living; Effie May, born October 31, 1879; Mr. Figgins is at present agent for Sprinkle & Cole,
of Red Oak.
FIGGINS, WILLIAM, father of A. S. Figgins, was born in Perry
county, Indiana, August 16, 1830, where he lived and was educated until the spring of 1865, when he moved to Montgomery
county, Iowa, and located on section thirty-three, Douglas township, where he has lived ever since; he now owns one hundred and forty acres of well-improved land. He was married to Miss
Agnes Sweet, who was born in Perry county, Indiana.
FOCHT, WILLIAM, farmer, section 27, P. O. Grant; when about twelve years old his parents emigrated to Allen
county, Ohio, known now as Auglaize county, Ohio. In 1857, he emigrated to
Montgomery county, Iowa, and located in Pilot Grove township. In 1858 he located on the farm he now lives on. Was married to Miss Rebecca Williams, June 25, 1853, a native of Champaign
county, Ohio, and married in Auglaize county, by Jospeh Bidwell, justice of the peace. They have seven children; Persifer S., born June 26, 1855; John Q., born December 26, 1856; Melvin, born
March 3, 1858; James M., born March 8, 1860; Samuel W., born October 12, 1861; Homer, born November 25, 1867; Oscar, born November 17, 1872. Six children dead: Hulda, Adam, William,
Andrew J., Mary A., Laura M. Mr. Focht enlisted in the Mexican war in the year 1847, serving twenty months. Was discharged on Governor's Island, in New York. Served under Stonewall
Jackson as his captain. When he came to this county he had one thousand dollars, and now owns four hundred acres of land, three hundred acres under cultivation and balance in timber. He is a
member of the Masonic order at Milford and helped to organize the first lodge at Red Oak.
FOCHT, PERSIFER S., farmer, section 26, P. O., Grant; born in Auglaize
county, Ohio, June 26, 1855, and when three years old his parents emigrated to Montgomery
county, Iowa. He lived
with his parents until December, 1879, when he was married to Miss Harriet E. Moates; were married under a large tree two miles east of Red Oak, near the residence of W. W, Merritt, December
22, 1879, by Mr. W. W. Merritt, minister of the Universalist church. Mr. Focht and lady resided with her parents for the last year, but now have moved on to his father's farm in Douglas township.
They have one child: Rescal J., born September 24, 1880. Mr. Focht is a member of the Mayflower Lodge of the Farmer's Alliance in Douglas township.
GOULD, EDWARD, shoemaker, P. O., Grant; born in London, England, May 23, 1852, and moved to the United States, landing in Milford, May, 1872, having resided here ever since following
his trade. He was educated at the school of London, founded in 1613, by the "Brewers" and it is generally known as the Brewers' School. He was married to Miss Alice M. Donoho, January 27,
1877. They have two children: one living, Bertha Isabel, born May 22, 1880.
HART, JAMES M., druggist, P. O., Grant; born in Fall River, on the Massachusetts side, September 14, 1831, and in infancy moved with his parents to Natick, Kent
county, Rhode Island,
remaining there until eighteen years old, then removed to Taunton, Massachusetts, where he served his apprenticeship as a machinist for three years. Then he went to Augusta, Georgia, to put in
machinery in a large cotton factory for the firm with whom he learned his trade; viz., Dean, Moss & Co. Having finished his work in Georgia, he returned to New York and engaged as a clerk in a
gent's furnishing establishment, and after a time went into business for himself in the same line, under the firm name of Taylor & Hart, following this business for two years. Sold out and moved
to Philadelphia, engaging in the commission business under the firm name of Holt & Hart, and continued in this business only one year. From Philadelphia Mr. Hart moved to Pittsburg. Was there
in the employ of the Pennsylvania Cotton Manufacturing Company as assistant superintendent, holding this position for two years. Afterwards bought a saw-mill and moved it to Franklin
county, Kansas, in the fall of 1855, remaining there but a short time, and in
November, 1858, came to Iowa, locating in Lewis, Cass county, and engaged as a clerk in the store of M. F. Jones, and
remained with him one year. In 1859 he went to Colorado and made a short tour, and returned again, engaging as a clerk, this time with H. H. Obehatzer & Co. Then he engaged in the saw-milling
business again, continued in that for two years. Removing to Council Bluffs he began clerking for R. P. Snow, remaining with him one year, then moved to Des Moines, living there one summer,
then returned to Lewis, Cass county, and engaged in the sale of a patent spinning machine for about two years. Then went to Red Oak, Montgomery
county, Iowa, and there went into the drug
store of H. C. Shank and remained with him for three years, then bought out a bakery, running that for a short time, and then sold out and went into the notion and stationery business in the post
office at Red Oak, and continued that for one year, then sold out and engaged in the fruit and grocery business. Retiring from this business he came to Milford in June, 1877, and engaged in the
drug business. Mr. Hart was married December 1, 1861, to Miss Sophia A. Carrey, a native of Ohio. Was married at Lewis, Cass
county, Iowa. Have had three children: two are living, Mary
Grace and George Carey; one dead. Mr. Hart is the inventor of the Iowa "Check Row Corn Planter" of Milford, which is admitted by the most competent judges to be the best invention of the kind
in the state of Iowa.
HOWARD, HENRY, merchant, P. O., Grant; born in Kewanee, Henry
county, Illinois, March 16, 1840, and was the third white male child born in that county. Was raised there, attending
school and teaching until he went into the army. Mr. Howard was educated in the common school and at Knox College, Galesburg, Illinois, and Oberlin College, Ohio, attending at Oberlin
College, from 1859 to 1861, when he enlisted in the army with a company of students, Company C, 7th Ohio Infantry. Was captured August 26, 1861, at Cross Lanes, in West Virginia, and was
released June, 1862. When captured was taken to Richmond, then to New Orleans, then to Salisbury, North Carolina, then ordered to parole camp at Columbus, then detailed as clerk in military
commander's office, where he remained until he was discharged, April 9, 1863. After his discharge he remained at home but a few days, going south again to Helena, Arkansas, in quartermaster's
department, remaining there until August, 1864. During this time he and his wife were at the battle fought at Helena, July 4, 1863. From Helena he went to Nashville, Tennessee, and was
employed in the auditor's office, of military division of the Tennessee, remaining there until November, 1866, when the railroads were transferred back to their respective companies, and he
returned home. In May, 1867, moved to Blakesburg, Wapello county, Iowa, engaging in farming and stock dealing, following that for three years; then moved to Lincoln, Nebraska, and engaged
in farming for six months, then returned to Mills county, Iowa, and engaged in school teaching for six months, and then to Red Oak, Iowa, March 20, 1871, dairying and farming for two years,
and in the fall of 1873 was elected auditor of Montgomery county, which office he filled for four years, then moved to Milford and engaged in merchandising, as a member of the firm of Smith &
Howard. Mr. Howard landed in Montgomery county with but ten dollars. He now has a good paying business and enjoys the confidence of citizens of his town. Mr. H. is a leading Mason, and at
this time is master of the lodge at Milford. He was married December 25, 1862, to Miss Amanda V. Reiff, a native of Norristown, Pennsylvania. They have six children: Henry and Sullivan,
twins; Elizabeth R., Nellie V., Clara, Mary N.; all living.
LOTT, HENRY S., farmer, P. O. Grant; lives on section 8, Douglas township; was born in Pennsylvania May 1st, 1832, and moved to Muskingum County, Ohio, at the age of seven years, and
remained there three years, then moved to Union County, Ohio, and engaged in farming during the summer, and attended the common schools during the winter. At the age of seventeen he began
the business of soda manufacturing, following that for three years, and in 1854 moved to Back Hawk County, Iowa, living there three years; returning to Union County, Ohio, he remained there
until the fall of 1861, when he moved to Montgomery County and engaged in farming. He now has a farm of 276 acres, all well improved. Mr. Lott was married April 13, 1853, to Barbara Poland,
of Virginia, who died August 11, 1870, leaving one child, Samantha. He was married the second time to Mrs. E. J. Christopher, June 25, 1871, of La Salle County, Illinois, having six children
living: Grace V., Ida E., William M., Orrin H., George A., E. May; by Mr. Lott tow children: Jennie M. and Gertie J. Samantha, now Mrs. W. P. Douglas; Grace V., now Mrs. Thomas Ely of Cass
County; Ida E., now Mrs. Frank Brenton, of Douglas township. Mr. Lott has been a member of the M. E. church since 1851, and Mrs. Lott has been a member of that church for nineteen years.
Mr. Lott is a member of the Masonic lodge of Milford. He has filled the office of justice of the peace for over five years, giving entire satisfaction in the discharge of the duties of that office.
MAYBON, HINTON C., farmer, section 35, P. O. Grant; born in Montgomery
county, New York, November 10, 1830, and was raised and educated there, receiving his education in the schools
of that locality; moved to Knox county, Illinois, in April, 1865, settling on a farm, and lived there until February, 1872, when he moved to this place. He is now the owner of 200 acres of land
well improved, with the best of buildings, and a fine orchard containing a great variety of fruits, also small fruits of all kinds. His orchard is beginning to bear. Was married October 15, 1851, to
Miss Deborah Clark, born in Fulton county, New York. They have six children: James J., Mary Ann, Frances E., Hinton C., Clark and Euphena. Mary Ann, now Mrs. Francis Archer; and Frances
E., now Mrs. Abner Westrope.
MAYHEW, JUDSON, farmer, P. O., Sciola; was born in Henry
county, Illinois, June 26, 1854, living there until fifteen years of age, when he moved with his parents to Montgomery
Iowa, locating then in Washington township, where he received a part of his education. He also attended high school in Illinois. Mr. Mayhew moved on to his present home, section 34, Douglas
township, in 1879. He has a farm of 160 acres of land, all improved. He was married March 6, 1879, to Miss Ida M. Damuth, born in Jefferson
county, Wisconsin, November 6, 1860. They have
one child, Burlie R., born January 24, 1880.
MCCUE, WILLIAM, farmer, P. O. Grant; born in Lebanon
county, Pennsylvania, August 29, 1832, and in infancy moved to Lancaster county, where he was educated, moving in 1862 to
Jackson county, Iowa, and engaged in farming for three years, then moved to Jones County, living there six years; then lived in Linn County for a short time and from there came to Montgomery
County in the fall of 1872, locating on section 15, Douglas township, where he has a good 80 acres of land, containing a good house and a nice young orchard. Was married June 28, 1854, to Miss
Sarah M. Stewart, a native of Pennsylvania, Lancaster county, who died October 4, 1872, leaving eight children: Alice A., John T., Mary M., now Mrs. James Kenedy; Ida A., Henry H., Dora
May, William D., Cora V. Mr. McCue is one of the first men in this township.
MCCUE, JOHN, farmer, P. O. Grant; born in Lebanon
county, Pennsylvania, October 1, 1821. At the age of eight years his father moved to Lancaster
county, Pennsylvania, where he grew to
manhood, working on a farm in the summer and attending the district school during the winter. In the spring of 1865 he moved to Jones
county, Iowa, living there five years, then moved to
Montgomery county and located on his present farm of 160 acres of land, now well improved. He was married June 14, 1851, to Miss Hettie Alexander, of Lancaster
county, Penn. They have
eight children: Joseph B., Laura J., now Mrs. Albert Bright of Cass county; William H., Hannah A., Catherine P., now Mrs. John Focht of this township; Anna M., Morris M., Minerva E. Mr.
And Mrs. McCue are both members of the Baptist church.
MCCONOUGHEY, H. N., mechanic and farmer, P. O. Grant; born in Geauga
county, Ohio, June 12, 1836. At the age of six years he moved to Henry county, Illinois with his parents and
settled on a farm. His father's name was Eli H., who was a descendant of Bruce of Scottish fame. Mr. M. made Henry
county his home until he was twenty two years of age. After that received
his education; then spent two years in Minnesota; then returned home. Afterward, in July 1858, moved to Fremont
county, living there until April, 1863, when he removed to Montgomery
county, where he has since lived on a farm of 200 acres of well improved land. Mr. McConoughey has frequently been elected to the office of justice of the peace, township clerk, and other
important offices. He was married to Miss Maria A. White, a native of Illinois. They have three children: Eli H., Laurin V., the first white male child born in Shenandoah, Page
county, Iowa; and
MCGUIRE, S. D., farmer, P. O. Morton's mills; born in Crawford
county, Ohio, July 21, 1850; moved at the age of 8 years with parents to Taylor
county, Iowa, lived there until 18 years of age,
then lived one year in Page county; returning again to his home in Taylor county, where he received the greater part of his education; he attended the graded schools of Clarinda one year. He
moved to Montgomery County in February, 1877, and settled on section 29, Douglas township. Mr. McGuire has a farm of 160 acres of well improved land. He was married December 14, 1875,
to Miss Alice Bean, daughter of J. H. Bean, of Page county, who was the first clerk of this township. They are the parents of two children: Willis Cass, born December 20, 1876; Ernest L., born
June 14, 1879.
MCKEEVER, SOLOMON, farmer, P. O. Grant, lives on section 21, Douglas township; born in Sandusky
county, Ohio, December 18, 1845, living there until 1859, when he moved with his
parents to Montgomery county. In the spring of 1860, his father moved to California, he remaining behind and on the 13th day of October, 1862, enlisted in the Sixth Iowa Cavalry, Company "E,"
as a private, and was mustered out October 17, 1865. Mr. McKeever was in the west among the Indians, was engaged in the "White Stone Hill" battle in Dakota territory a din many other Indian
fights, scouting all over that territory and coming out of the army without a scratch. After his return home, worked by the month for a year or two then returned to Colorado and was engaged in a
saw-mill for a time; returned to Iowa in 1870; was married April 9, 1871, to Miss Lydia Archer, who was born in Montgomery
county, Iowa, February 17, 1856, they have two children living: Cade and Benjamin.
NORCROSS, JOHN P., farmer, P. O. Grant, section twenty-three, Douglas township. Born in Warren
county, Illinois, April 16, 1849, and was raised on the old homestead; was educated in the
graded schools of Monmouth, Illinois, finishing his education in Monmouth College. He moved to Montgomery
county in 1869, locating on his present farm of one hundred and sixty acres of
well-improved land. Was married, March 4, 1875, to Miss Sarah C. Mosier, a native of Cass
county. Mrs. Norcross died October 20, 1877. Married the second time March 19, 1878, to miss
Margaret N. Logan, a native of Tennessee; by this union they have one child: Mariam M., born September 16, 1879.
PATTERSON, AARON, farmer, P. O. Grant; lives on section 17, Douglas township. Was born in Guernsey
county, Ohio, July 18, 1828, and lived there on his father's farm until fourteen years
of age, and then learned the trade of tanner and currier, following that four years. Mr. Patterson had but limited privileges as to education, not having been in school but about eight months. At the
age of twenty-one he crossed the plains to California with an ox team from Kansas City, starting on the 9th of May, 1849, and landing at Nevada City, September 14, same year, he remained there
two years, returning home by water to Rialao, then the City of Leon, then to Grenada, there crossing the lake in a schooner and came by boat down the San Juan river to Graytown, there took sail
vessel to New Orleans, then by steamboat to Wheeling, Virginia, stage-ing it from there home, landing on the 12th day of April, 1851. Engaged in the milling business until about first of
December 1854, when he moved by wagon to Montgomery county, Iowa, being about forty days on the way, located on section 20. He has lived in the township ever since. Married August 1,
1852, to Miss Nancy Bryan, a native of Ohio, who died January 29, 1867, leaving three children living: Sarah, Martha L., Gilbert L., four deceased. Married again August 1, 1867, Miss Mary M.
Deeds, a native of Ohio: they had two children by this union, both deceased. He now owns 120 acres of good bottom land in good cultivation, has good house, has served as township trustee,
justice of the peace, etc., etc., in his township. Is a member of the Masonic lodge of Milford, was also a member of the Masons in Ohio.
PATTERSON, JOHN W., farmer, P. O. Grant; born in Guernsey
county, Ohio, October 31, 1816, and there grew to manhood. Received nothing but a common school education, and in 1839
moved to Hancock county, Illinois, remaining there but one year, moved to Lee county, Iowa, in March, 1840, locating on a farm about one mile from Keokuk, now known as Reese's addition to
Keokuk, living there until 1853, when he moved to Montgomery county, Iowa. Mr. Patterson was the first treasurer of Montgomery
county, which office he held for one year. He settled and has
since been a resident of this county. Mr. Patterson has at various times in different capacities, served the citizens of his township and county, and always with satisfaction to them and credit to
himself. He was married, January 18, 1838, to Miss Mary Ann Hardisty, a native of Belmont
county, Ohio, who died February 3, 1857, leaving seven children living: Nancy C., John F., Susan D.,
Louisa, Lillian, Harriet, Amanda, James D., deceased twins. Married the second time Jun 14, to Miss Catharine C. Reid, a native of Tazewell County, Illinois, who died January 6, 1874, leaving
three children: William R., Francis M., Hannah H. Married third time August 27, 1876, to Miss Fannie Pierce; divorced November 9, 1880; owns forty acres of land. Mr. Patterson now lives with
his son John T., who was married to Miss Alice M. Wilson of Warren County, Illinois; February 23, 1871; by this union they have two children: Mary Ann and Lenora. Mr. Patterson was the first
W. M. of the Red Oak and Villisca Masonic lodges; was also master of Keokuk lodge for many years; also custodian of the work for eight counties of the state, and was one of the organizers of
the grand lodge of this state, in fact a leader of that order.
PATTERSON, URIAS, lives on section 20, Douglas township, P. O. Grant; was born in Guernsey
county, Ohio, April 27, 1830, lived there until 15 years of age when he move to Tuscarawas
county, Ohio, where he engaged in the dry goods trade as a clerk. Here he spent the early part of his life clerking, farming and going to school, until January 13, 1865, when he came to
Montgomery county, Iowa, locating on his present homestead of 220 acres of well improved land with a good brick house, the only one in the township; he has a fine young orchard and as fine a
farm as there is in the township. Mr. Patterson has been honored with many of the offices of the township and he has always honored the offices. Mr. Patterson was one of the charter members of
the Masonic fraternity of Milford, he was also a member in Ohio. Mr. P. was married May 29, 1853, to Miss Mary Neighbor, of Tuscarawas
county, Ohio. They have three children; two
deceased, one living, Cora Bell. They also have charge of a nephew of Mrs. Patterson's, Albert O. Neighbor. Mrs. Patterson is a member of the Lutheran Church. Mr. Patterson is one of the
leading men in the community in which he lives.
REID, J. B., farmer section 11, P. O. Grant; born in Tazewell
county, Illinois, September 16, 1838, living there until fourteen years of age, when he moved to Harrison
county, Missouri, with his
parents, where he lived until May, 1858, when he came to Montgomery county, Iowa, and located in Douglas township. Mr. Reid enlisted August 13, 1862, in Company D, Twenty-ninth Iowa
Infantry as second corporal, and was discharged July 19, 1865. During his service he was detailed to do service on a gun boat, and was assigned to and did service for six months on the Prairie
Bird and then returned to his regiment. His first battles were at Helena, Arkansas, and Little Rock, and fought all the way from Little Rock, every day under fire, for 32 days and wound up at
Jenkins' Ferry; then returned to Little Rock; was also at Mobile, Bazer's Island, mouth of Rio Grande River; then shipped to Galveston, back to New Orleans; then returned home. Was married
July 11, 1859, to Miss Elizabeth A. Reid, a native of Tazewell county Illinois, have tow children: Letitia and Emma, both living. The oldest daughter is teaching in District No. 3. Mr. Reid owns
40 acres of good land, well improved.
REID, THOS. J., farmer, section 26, P. O. Grant; born in Tazewell
county, Illinois, June 15, 1851, and moved with his parents to Montgomery county, Iowa, in the spring of 1856, where he has
lived ever since upon the farm which his father first opened up, in this county. He has 100 acres of good land, well improved. Was married July 12, 1872, to Miss Mary S. Carlton, a native of
Indiana. They have three children: Carrie L., Mertie A., and Jessie A. His father lives with him and is one of the pioneer preachers of this county.
REID, REV. WILLIAM T., minister, section 26, P. O. Grant; born in Loudon
county, Virginia, July 7, 1811. When eight years of age he moved to Hamilton county, Ohio, with his parents;
then moved to Dearborn county, Indiana, living there for ten years; then to Tazewell
county, Illinois, remaining there for twenty-four years; then to Montgomery county, Iowa, May 1856, where he
has lived ever since. He received his education in the district schools of Indiana. Mr. Reid was converted to religion fifty years ago, the 3d of June, and began the work of the ministry when forty
years of age as a local preacher, but did much itinerant work while in Illinois and Iowa, and preached the first sermon ever preached in Frankfort, and was also the first M. E. minister ever in
Villisca. The sermon was preached at the house of Mr. Overman, a Universalist of that day. Was married June 12, 1833, to Miss Elizabeth Halland, a native of North Carolina, who died
September 30, 1873, leaving four children: Catherine C., wife of J. W. Patterson deceased; Elizabeth B. wife of J. B. Reid; William H. and Thomas J. Mr. Reid is one of the preachers who
ministered to the spiritual wants of the pioneers of this county, and a man who has by a continuous, consistent Christian walk, and by his fair and manly dealings with his fellow men in every-day
life, made every man his friend whose privilege it has been to know him.
STIPE, WILLIAM, farmer, P. O. Grant; lives on section ten. Was born in Frederick
county, Virginia, April 17, 1820, living there until sixteen years of age, when he moved to Athens
Ohio, and two years later moved with his parents to the Territory of Iowa, arriving in the spring of 1838, in Henry
county; from there he moved to Van Buren county, remaining there two years
and helping to build the first dam ever built in that county, farming the balance of the time. Spent a winter in Natchez, returned to Lee
county, Iowa in the spring; from Lee county he went to Fort
Des Moines, living there three years with the soldiers, then moved to Clark county, Missouri, and farmed for four years. In 1850 he made a trip to California by land, being five months on the
road, returning in June 1852, taking his family to Wapello county, Iowa, before he started to California, and in March 1, 1853, to Montgomery
county, Iowa, and settled on the farm which he
now owns and lives upon. In 1852 he made a trip to Virginia to his old home and by the way of Montgomery
county on a prospecting tour. He now owns eight hundred acres of land
well-improved and well stocked with hogs and cattle, having about one hundred head of each. Was married October 8, 1846, to Miss Ann Caywood, a native of Tennessee, they have three
children: Matilda E., now Mrs. H. W. Ellwood; Georgina, now Mrs. Chas. W. Mercer, Sarah J., now Mrs. E. C. Beals of this township. They have also raised a niece of Mrs. Stipe's, Mary E.
McCarey, now Mrs. Valintine Acerman.
SCHULER, JOHN C., painter, P. O. Grant; born in Galena, Illinois, October 31, 1850; lived in that vicinity until fourteen years of age when he moved to Lafeyette,
county, Wisconsin, when he
hired to a farmer by the month until 1870, when he came to Milford, and has lived there ever since. He began his trade in Red Oak in 1874, and has followed it ever since; he received his
education in the district schools. He was married, 22d of March, 1873, to Miss Orrell A. Andrews, born in Trumbull
county, Ohio, by J. M. Holmes. Parents of two children, one living, John
Frederick, born December 9, 1876.
SCOTT, JAMES, M. D., physician and surgeon, P. O. Grant; was born in Noble
county, Ohio, April 24, 1844, where he was raised and educated. He enlisted in the army in the fall of 1862, in
Company K, Seventy-seventh Ohio infantry volunteers, as private for one year, did service at Alton, Illinois, the greater part of the time. In the spring of 1864 moved to Guthrie Center, there
located, teaching school in Guthrie and Carroll counties for several years; began reading medicine in the fall of 1869, with Dr. Warren of Casey, Guthrie
county, and a year afterward with Dr.
Bower of Guthrie Center; and during the years 1870 and 1871 attending lectures at the Iowa State University; then moved to Extra, practicing there for four or five months, then coming to Milford
in the fall of 1871, practicing here one year; then taking a second course of lectures at the Iowa State University, graduating in March, 1873; then located in Hawleyville in Page
there for a short time, and then returned to Milford, where he lived ever since, and has had good success, building up a good practice. Was married, July 21, 1873, to Miss Mary J. Dunn, of
Belmont county, Ohio, by which marriage they have two children: Walter D., Lucretia A., born July 4, 1876, a "centennial present." Dr. Scott is the secretary of the Masonic lodge at Milford.
SILLIK, FRANK M., postmaster and merchant, P. O. Grant; born in Galion, Crawford
county, Ohio, December 18, 1853, and resided there until eighteen years of age, going to school until
fifteen years of age, when he was employed as a clerk in a wholesale millinery and furnishing establishment in Mansfield, Ohio. After leaving this position he came to Montgomery
and taught school during the winter and farmed in the summer until 1877. Taught school two years in Milford. In April 1879, he took charge of the post office and began his present business,
which he has followed ever since with good success. He was elected clerk of the township, first, in 1878, and again in 1880, his time not expiring until 1882. So far he has filled the office with
credit to himself and with perfect satisfaction to citizens of the township. Mr. Sillik was married April 4, 1877, to Miss Maria L. Clark, a native of New York. Were married in Red Oak, Iowa.
They are the parents of three children: Frank M., Mollie M., and Samuel C. Mr. Sillik is one of the enterprising and rising young men of this township.
SMITH, GEORGE W., farmer, P. O. Grant; was born in Orange
county, New York, January 22, 1842, and when three years old his parents moved to Jackson
county, Michigan, and settled on a
farm, living there until fourteen years of age, when he moved to Montgomery county with his brothers, his parents having died in Michigan. He landed here the third day of June, 1856, and has
made this his home ever since. He enlisted in Company H, Fourth Iowa infantry, July 25, 1861, as private, and was promoted to third corporal, July 3, 1865, at Louisville. Was engaged in the
battles of Pea Ridge, Arkansas Post, Chickasaw Bayou, Port Hudson, Jackson, Mississippi; Black River Bridge, June 27, 1863, and at siege of Vicksburg, second siege of Jackson, then returned to
Jackson, Tennessee, and there veteranized and returned home on veteran furlough; reported at Davenport and returned to Jackson, then to Chattanooga; was in the fight at Kenesaw Mountain and
Snake Creek Gap and Big Shanty; 22d day of July 1864, at Atlanta, Georgia and at Boonsboro, where he was taken with the sore eyes and was sent to New York. Then went to Goldsboro, North
Carolina, and participated in the battle at Raleigh, near the close of the war. Mr. Smith is now drawing a pension on account of his eyes, which have never fully recovered. Mr. Smith was married
February 11, 186o, to Miss Sarah Stipe, a native of Ohio; divorced in 1865; married second time February 5, 1871, to Miss Cecelia A. Bucklin, a native of Indiana. By this marriage they had one
child, Samuel Marion, born April 25, 1872. Mrs. Smith died March 24, 1875. He was married the third time to Miss Martha Westlake, February 12, 1876, a native of Ohio; have one child, Albert
Oscar, born November 27, 1877.
SMITH, SAMUEL M., merchant, miller and farmer, P. O. Grant; was born in Orange
county, New York, July 21, 1826, and at the age of six years moved with his parents to Ontario
New York, remaining there for about eleven years, going to school in the winter and farming in the summer; then moved to Jackson
county, Michigan, and went to farming and milling; followed
this for about three years, when he enlisted in the 14th United States regiment in the spring of 1847, and served until the close of the war. Served as a private the first six or seven months; was
then promoted and transferred to the quartermaster's department. In the fall of 1849 he returned home and the following year superintended the construction of the Northwest plank road at
Chicago, Illinois. After completing this work he went to Ohio and clerked in a store for his uncle, at Bolivar, remaining there for a year, returning to Michigan to settle his father's estate> In the
spring of 1856 he came to Montgomery, having about $1,000 in land warrants, and by industry and frugality has "increased in goods" and now has 508 acres of land and a one-half interest in a
store, and a half interest in the Arlington mills, valued at $15,000; all in good condition. Mr. Smith was married October 15, 1852, to Miss Maria Mills of Michigan. By this marriage they have
nine children, six living; Eva, married; Clara, married; Dora, married; Frank, married; Samuel, Elmer, Rose O.
SMITH, SETH M., farmer, section 16, P. O. Grant; born in Geauga
county, Ohio, June 30, 1822, living there until twelve years old, when he moved to Lafayette
county, Wisconsin. He worked
upon the Cleveland and Pittsburg canal. He spent several years in traveling through the South, finally in 1844 locating at Lafayette, working two or three years in the mines. Then engaged in
farming and in the fall of 1868 came to Montgomery county, locating on the farm he now owns of 920 acres of good land, being well adapted to either grain or grass. Mr. Smith has a good house
and barn, and has about 200 head of cattle on his farm at this time. Was married September 20, 1849, to Miss Sarah E. Bennett, of Clarksburg, Harrison County, Virginia. They have seven
children living: Ollie E., Laura E., William W., John R., Eva M., Frank E., and Seth E.
SMITH, MILTON, farmer, P. O. Grant; lives on section 11. Born in Orange
county, New York, May 12, 1828, and at the age of two years moved to Ontario county, New York, residing there
until thirteen years old, when his father moved to Jackson county, Michigan, where he resided with his parents until he went to work on the Illinois Central Railroad as baggage-master, serving in
that capacity for over four years. In the spring of 1857 locating in Cass county on a farm, remaining there until 1875, when he moved to Montgomery and located on his present farm of eighty
acres about one and a half miles east of Milford. Mr. Smith was married December 23, 1860, to Miss J. L. Stinman, who was born in the city of New York, November 26, 1841, by which
marriage they have seven children: William W., Milton E., Anna O., Bell V., Mary M., Clarence E. and Frank A. Both Mr. and Mrs. Smith are members of the M. E. church of Milford and have
the respect and confidence of the entire community in which they live.
STINEMATE, L. D., farmer, section 23, P. O. Grant; born in Knox
county, Ohio, January 13, 1843. At the age of eight years moved with his parents to Warren
county, Illinois, where he lived
on a farm until eighteen years of age, when he enlisted in the Fiftieth Illinois infantry in February, 1864, in company I, as private, and was mustered out July 22, 1865; was in the battle of Resaca
and all the skirmishes about Bentonville, North Carolina; went through to the sea with Sherman, and round to Washington. Was married January 1, 1873, to Miss Henrietta M. Tubbs, a native of
New York; by this marriage they have three children: Mattie M., George W., Arthur C., all living with their parents. Mr. Stinemate now owns eighty acres of good land well improved.
TUBBS, R. F., farmer, and breeder of fine cattle, P. O. Villisca; born in Montgomery
county, New York, October 7, 1840. At the age of fourteen years he came to Warren
county, Illinois, his
father following him about three years afterward. He lived there on a farm until he came to Montgomery
county, Iowa, and located on section 28 in Douglas township in the fall of 1868, on one of
the finest farms in the county. Mr. Tubbs enlisted in Company F, Seventeenth Illinois infantry volunteers, in April, 1861, as private, and was discharged for disability, May, 1862. Was taken with
the measles in the early part of the war and did not fully recover until the close of the war. Mr. Tubbs has first class buildings on his farm and is the pioneer fine stock-raiser in southwestern Iowa,
and has the largest and best pedigreed herd of fine stock in the state, and has both sets of herd books complete, the only man in the county who owns such books. His herd consists of forty-six
females and two males, all blooded stock; Mr. Tubbs has been one of the heaviest cattle feeders and stock raisers in this part of Iowa. He was married, May 1, 1862, to Miss S. E. McCartney, a
native of McDonough county, Illinois, and has by this marriage six children: Alpha, Bettie, Ellen Marcella, Jay A., Robert H., Lula M., Claude W.; all at home.
WESTROPE, THOMAS R., farmer, P. O. Grant; lives on section 1 and 2. Born in Morgan
county, Illinois, September 2, 1825; moving to Wisconsin, in 1830, living there until 1874, then to
Montgomery county, Iowa, to his present home. Mr. Westrope made two trips across the plains to California, going in 1849 the first time, going through with ox teams, walking all the way, being
about five months on the road; he returned in 1851 to his home; made his second trip in 1852, returning January, 1856, and living in his native state until he moved to Iowa. He now owns four
hundred and ninety acres of land in this county and four hundred and fifty in Cass
county, all in the one farm; Mr. Westrope owns 2,179 acres of land; he also has about three hundred and
seventy-five head of cattle, and one of the finest herds of short-horns in this part of the state, and is doubtless the wealthiest farmer in Montgomery
county. He was married, March 8, 1848, to
Miss Sarah Ann Huntsman, a native of Indiana; by which marriage they have ten children living: Maria J., Abner, Perry A., Thomas R. Jr., Orville D., John, Walter, Elmira, Norman. Mr.
Westrope raised 3200 bushels of wheat in the year 1880. Mr. Westrope is a plain and unassuming man and has the respect of all his neighbors; he is one of the enterprising farmers of the county.
WHITNEY, THEODORE, farmer, P. O. Mortons' Mills, section 33, was born in Richmond
county, Ohio, December 25, 1824, where he lived until eighteen years of age, when he farmed and
attended district school alternately; moving to Boone county, Indiana, with his parents, remaining there for fifteen years, then move to Montgomery
county, Iowa, in June 1855, where he has
lived ever since. When he came to this county he preempted the farm he now occupies, selling off the mill privilege. He enlisted in the army in the Mexican war, June, 1846, company E, Third
Indiana volunteers, for one year, and was mustered out at New Orleans in June, 1847; was in the battle of Buena Vista, coming out of the engagement without a scratch. He was married, January
8, 1850, to Miss Isabella Quinn, a native of Ashtabula county, Ohio, who died July 19, 1862, leaving three children: William W., Mary, now Mrs. Philip Thomas, of Adams
county; Margaret A.,
now Mrs. John Welch, also of Adams county. Mr. Whitney was married the second time to Miss Susan Beasley, a native of Andrew
county, Missouri; they are the parents of seven children
living: James Grant, Arthur E., Bell, Austin, Bertie, Lillie, Ellen, Walter Scott, all living at home. Mr. Whitney is one of the first men of the township, and has the respect of the entire community.
Mr. and Mrs. Whitney are both members of the Christian Church.