This page was last updated  Thursday, 19 April 2018

Montgomery County, Iowa

Biography Center


World War II Biographical Sketches

Surnames beginning "C"

(with updates and corrections)



Canfield, Robert James Jr. was born on 9 February 1922 to R. James Canfield and Rowena McQueen Canfield. He graduated from Red Oak, Iowa, High School in May 1939 and enlisted in the U.S. Navy on 28 May 1940. He served in the Asiatic-Pacific Theatre from December 1940 through January 1944. His stateside assignments were from January 1944 to 27 May 1946.Robert feels that his most sobering experience was the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on 7 December 1941. He served in the Navy for exactly six years. His rating at discharge was Chief Petty Officer (Aviation Chief Metalsmith). He married Jean Nissen of Shenandoah, Iowa on 25 March 1944. She died in January 1993. Civilian occupation: Graduated with Mechanical Engineering Degree from Iowa State College in Ames, Iowa under the GI bill and worked in project management-steam power plant construction from 1949 till May 1987. Robert now lives in Marissa, Illinois.


Cannon, Loren Russell (37260573) was born at Cromwell, Iowa on 12 March 1902. His parents were John Cannon and Ella Smith Cannon. He was inducted into the armed forces on 25 September 1942 at Ft. Crook, Nebraska and discharged from duty on 24 February 1943 at Camp Butner, North Carolina. His service was with Company "I", 311th Infantry. Loren died on 26 October 1974 at Hot Springs, Arkansas and is buried in Evergreen Cemetery at Red Oak, Iowa.


Carbaugh, Clarence C. entered service on 27 May 1943 and served with the 8th Air Force Depot Air Base. He was in the European Theatre of Operations in England, France and Germany. He received 4 Service Bars and 1 service Stripe. Clarence and his fellow technicians, while at an Air Service Command Depot in England, constructed X-ray equipment used by American medical officers to X-ray the chests of soldiers waiting re-assignment. The cost was only a penny and a half a pair of lungs. Without plans or drawings the technicians built an X-ray mobile trailer unit that proved its practicality. The group won the commendation of Colonel Read B. Harding, the Director of Medical Services of the Air Service Command in England. They were also given a request for another trailer. The machine was capable of filming more than 1000 soldiers every 8 hours, had its own power plant, dark room, running water and collapsible tent dressing room kept warm by a blower fan directing heat from the generator through ducts. Clarence farmed for 22 years. He has now retired from the Eveready Battery Plant in Red Oak, Iowa. Submitted by Dorothy Carbaugh


Carlson, David Edgar went into the military service in April 1946 and was discharged in September 1947. "This was considered WWII service since I served in the Occupation Force. "Like all other boys my age I wanted so very much to get into the service to help win the war but I did not turn eighteen until early 1946. I then enlisted and was assigned to the Army Air Corps. My first letter from my mother said that my draft orders had come. By the time of my graduation from Red Oak High School many of my classmates had already enlisted, but I was, as yet, only seventeen. "My basic training was at Amarillo, Texas. The Air Corps then wanted to send me to Chanute Field, Illinois for training as a radar technician or as a control tower operator but either one was an extended, intensive course and I would have to extend my enlistment. Had this offer come a little sooner I would have taken them up on it, but by now I was quite clear as to my life's work so I turned it down. "Assigned to the 8th Air Force I expected to go to England, but when my orders came I was sent to Okinawa where I served twelve months with the Far East Air Force in the occupation of the island, known as "The Rock.". "Okinawa, with its numerous wrecked planes, parts of ships protruding from the water and shell and bullet holes in the walls of the buildings in the capitol city of Naha, was a vivid reminder of the bloody battles that had so recently been fought there. "We of the Occupation Force were quite humbled by all this and worked on thankfulness and praise of the brave men who had fought and died there. "Outstanding in my memory was the day a fellow from Chicago and I climbed a high coral rock to a cave where we found several skeletons of Japanese soldiers. "Ribbons I received included the Good Conduct, Pacific Theatre of Operations and Occupation Forces Ribbons. "I was discharged with rank of Corporal even though my job in Okinawa gave me the authority of a higher rank. I even had the wife of a Lieutenant working as my secretary. "In Okinawa we had natives doing our laundry and house (Quonset) keeping. The fifteen of us in our group each paid these three ladies 25 cents a week (that's $1.25 for each of them). Soon the mayor of the nearby town came and asked that we not pay these ladies so much since they were the highest paid residents in the town. "After discharge at Oakland, California I went to college followed by seminary. I have since been a pastor in Evangelical Covenant Churches until my retirement in 1990." "My wife, Marian (Swanson), also a Red Oak native, and I make our home back in the hometown of Red Oak, Iowa."


Carlson, Glen enlisted in the service at Des Moines, Iowa in 1942 and was separated from duty at San Diego, California in October 1945. He Received training in boot camp at San Diego, California and qualified as M1 Rifle Marksman. He participated in the Bismarck Archipelago operation from November 1944 to December 1944: Luzon, Philippine Islands operation from January 1945 to February 1945; the Mindoro, Philippines and Mindanao, Philippine Island operation from March 1945 to June 1945. Glen received several operations citation ribbons. Glen lives in Red Oak, Iowa.


Carlson, Harley A. (8602033) entered the service on 29 February 1944 at Des Moines, Iowa and received his discharge at Minneapolis, Minnesota on 22 February 1946. His training was taken at Bainbridge, Maryland; in California and at Staten Island, New York. He served on the U.S.S. P.C. 1173 in the Atlantic Theatre and was overseas from January 15, 1946 to February 15, 1946. Harley's rating at the time of discharge was Motor Machinists Mate 3/C. S.R.V. Civilian occupation: R.E.A.


Carlson, Joseph L. enlisted in the U. S. Navy Seabees in March 1942 and was honorably discharged in September 1945. He received the North Pacific Campaign Ribbon with 1 Battle Star. He served in the North Pacific Campaign with the Navy Seabees 22nd Battalion. The battalion, along with the 68th Battalion, was responsible for the building of a mile-long runway on Attu as soon as they were reasonably sure of not being fired on by the enemy. "The enemy, for the first and last time were on American soil. The Japanese were firm on Attu and Kiska and were hitting hard at Adak and Dutch Harbor and other bases on the Aleutian Islands. For some reason it was kept quite, although it was the second most-costly battle in the Pacific, second only to Iwo Jima. "We Seabees were on a navy attack transport in the North Bering Sea heading for the Attu invasion. I discovered Robert (Bob) Brayton was an officer aboard this transport. We had a good visit. Also, on the Island of Attu I bumped into Tom Young in the Marines. Later, on return to the States, I bumped into Robert Brayton again in San Francisco. Also, in the Bay Area, Pauline and I had some good times with Betty and Allan Speagh, both from Red Oak, Iowa. And also Sam and Evelyn Peterson, also from Red Oak. Pauline and I, on my return to the states, spent over a year in the Bay Area so we saw several from Red Oak ship out overseas. One was Johnny Sunberg, one of the many from Red Oak who did not return." On the morning of June 16, 1993, a charted plane landed on the Island of Attu. Among veterans of the WWII Battle of Attu were Joe with his son, Joe, Jr. Part of the visit was devoted to the dedication of a Memorial Marker for those who had served on the island. It was recalled that the Japanese were always an the high ground and to get them the Americans had to go higher. Then the wounded were brought down over very difficult terrain. Remembered were the Quonset huts and freezing weather and determined men in getting a job done. On his visit back to Attu, Joe and his son spent most of an afternoon on the peninsula that extends out into Massacre Bay where the Seabee group lived for over a year. The rotting wooden floors of the mess hall, showers and head and post office are still there. It was a nostalgic visit. Joe's rank at discharge was Petty Officer First Class. Joe and his wife, the former Pauline Peterson, have been married 54 years. They live in Minneapolis, Minnesota.


Carlson, Paul Harold (37420619) was born on 17 May 1905 at Stanton, Iowa. He entered service on 24 June 1942 and was honorably discharged on 3 September 1943. He served with the QM Sec. Enl. Det., 3861st Unit (8'SC) at Camp Fannin, Texas, completing 1 year, 2 months and 11 days of service. Paul's rank at discharge was Private First Class.


Carlson, Ronald L. (37542041) was born at Red Oak, Iowa on 2 May 1920 and graduated from Red Oak, Iowa High School in 1937. He was inducted into the Army Air Corps on 2 December 1942 at Buffalo, Minnesota and received his basic training at Kingman, Arizona. His training was completed at the air base at Sioux City, Iowa. He was stationed in England and served as waist gunner on a B17 Flying Fortress. In October 1943, while on leave, he married Shirley Learned of Buffalo. This was the last time the Carlson's were to see each other. He was killed in action on 11 April 1944 over Rostock, Germany at age 24. He had completed 15 missions at the time his plane was shot down. Ronald's brother, Major Roy Carlson, also in the Air Force, escorted his brother's body home from Germany, arriving on New York on 7 May 1949. Ronald is buried in Evergreen Cemetery at Red Oak, Iowa. He was posthumously awarded the Purple Heart and Air Medal with 3 Oak Leaf Clusters. He held the rank of Staff Sergeant at the time of his death. Submitted by Patricia Norris


Carlson, Roy D. (0678830) was born at Red Oak, Iowa on 14 January 1922 and enlisted on 25 April 1942. He attended Aviation Cadet School at Foster Field, Texas where he received a commission as 2nd Lieutenant. His active duty as an Air Force officer began on 22 April 1943. He served with the 378th Fighter Squadron, 362nd Fighter Group. On 17 January 1046 he received his discharge at Seymour Johnson Field, North Carolina. Roy participated in the Air Offensive in Europe, and the Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes, and Central Europe Campaigns. He received the European-African-Middle Eastern Service Medal, American Theatre Service Medal, WWII Victory Medal, Air Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster, Distinguished Unit Badge and 3 Overseas Bars. He also received a Letter of Commendation from President Harry S. Truman. He arrived in the European Theatre on 8 January 1944, returned to the U.S. on 18 December 1944, back to the European Theatre on 16 February 1945 and returned to the U.S. on 2 September 1945. Roy's brother, Ronald L. Carlson, also served in the Air Force and was killed in action over Germany. Major Carlson was the escort for his brother's body when it was returned to the states on 7 May 1949. Roy Carlson served in the Air Force following WWII. His rank at discharge from WWII duty was Major.


Carper, Warren F. "Frosty" entered the service on 24 August 1942 and was honorably discharged 4 November 1945 at Ft. Sheridan, Illinois. He served in the Service Battery, 128th Armored Field Artillery Battalion and in "B" Battery of the 391st Armored Field Artillery Battalion. His service was in Normandy, Northern France, Ardennes, Rhineland and Central Europe. Medals and ribbons he received were the WWII Victory Medal, American Theatre Ribbon, European-African-Middle Eastern Theatre Ribbon with 1 Silver Battle Star, 3 Overseas Bars, 1 Service Stripe and the Good Conduct Medal. In a letter written to his mother, dated 27 June 1945: "Here it is nearly the 4th of July and, believe it or not, for once I an hoping for a quite one. The night we crossed the Rhine will always make 4th of July celebrations seem like a tea party to me." Another letter dated 5 September 1945: "I had a swell 12 gauge shotgun I was going to try to send, but I left it lying in the motor park and some !#%&* ran over it with a tank. Now all it's good for is to shoot around corners!" Warren's military specialty was shop maintenance mechanic. His rank at time of discharge was Tech/5. He worked in construction for a while after he returned to civilian life.  Submitted by Donna L. Johnson


Cederberg, Raymond (20705556) was inducted into service on 10 February 1941 at Villisca, Iowa and discharged from active duty on 26 June 1945 at Ft. Sheridan, Illinois. His service previous to discharge was with Headquarters Company, 168th Infantry Regiment, 34th Division. Raymond's military occupation specialty was Truck Driver, Light. Campaigns he participated in were the Tunisian, Algerian-French Moroccan, Naples-Foggia, Rome-Arno, Po Valley and Northern Appennines. He received the Combat Infantry Badge, Good Conduct Ribbon, American Defense Service Ribbon, European-African-Middle Eastern Theatre Ribbon with 1 Silver Battle Star and 1 Bronze Battle Star and 6 Overseas Service Bars. He departed for the European Theatre on 30 April 1942 and arrived there on 12 May 1942. Leaving the European Theatre on 10 June 1945 he arrived in the U.S. on 18 June 1945. He was overseas for 3 years, 1 month and 19 days of his total service time. His rank at time of discharge was Private First Class.


Chaney, Ernest Franklin was born in Adams County, Iowa on 16 April 1922. On 14 December 1942 in Omaha, Nebraska he entered into service with the U.S. Navy. He received his discharge at the U.S.N. Personnel Separation Center at Minneapolis, Minnesota on 6 March 1946. He served in the Navy for 3 years, 2 months and 23 days. Places of service were the Naval Training Station, Great Lakes, Illinois; Service School at Great Lakes, Illinois; NATT Center at Chicago, Illinois; Headquarters Squad 5-1; Hedron 5-2 PBM Sea Patrol by B-24th; Hedron FAW 12 at Key West, Florida, and Air Transport Ron. 12 out of Hawaii flying war casualties and supplies. He served in both American and Pacific Theatres. Ernest received the Good Conduct Medal. Rating at discharge was Aviation Electrician Mate 2/C. Ernest and his wife live in Red Oak, Iowa.


Chaney, Laurence E. (37113015) was inducted into service on 7 February 1942 at Ft. Des Moines, Iowa and received his discharge on 1 December 1945 at the Air Force Separation Center at Sioux City, Iowa. He served with the 462nd A.A.F. Base Unit. His military occupation specialty was Engineman Operating. Awards he received were American Theatre Service Medal, Good Conduct Medal, WWII Victory Medal and 1 Service Stripe. He served in the American Theatre for 3 years, 9 months and 25 days. His rank when discharged was Corporal. He lived in Bowling Green, Florida for most of his life but moved to Ft. Meade, Maryland before his death in 1989 or 1990. Civilian occupation: Bulldozer Operator.


Charles, Samuel Franklin was born in Red Oak, Iowa on 21 July 1922, and entered the U.S. Navy on 16 February 1943 at Red Oak, Iowa. He was discharged on 23 November 1945 at Minneapolis, Minnesota. He served at the Naval Training Station, Farragut, Idaho; CVE PCD, Astoria, Oregon; on the U.S.S. Saginaw CompAirPac; and on the U.S.S. Tripoli. Samuel was authorized to wear the following decorations: American Pacific Theatre War Ribbon, Asiatic-Pacific War Ribbon with a Silver Battle Star for Palau, Leyte, Lingayen Gulf, Iwo Jima and Okinawa Campaigns, and the Philippines Liberation Ribbon with 2 Star for enemy air attack. At the time of his discharge he was Seaman 1/c.