Mills County, Iowa


(Click tab above to see the IAGenWeb History Project)
Historical Events and Stories


A Brief History of Malvern

by John D. Paddock, 1917

Transcribed by: Cay Merryman

The author, John D. Paddock, reminisces about the early days of Malvern (then called Milton) and his move to the area. We pick up the story as Mr. Paddock is describing the small town of Milton about the year 1868/1869. Some paragraphs were deleted and some sentences changed to explain the deletions. These items seem to be taken from newspapers and sometimes are not always consistent as far as dates are concerned. Portions of this history are contained in the 1985 Mills County History.
 
1884

Marriage

Our business man Walter Larison wants a home as well as a business and he finds a wife, Miss Laura Summers and they commence the journey May 29th, 1884, and go to housekeeping on 3rd Avenue.


Birthday

Grandmother Raines a pioneer of 1856, celebrates her 84th birthday at the home of her son, A W. Ralnes.


Death

Lillie Barnet dies, a young womanly life goes out.


A pleasant gathering of the graduating class of ‘82 of the Western Normal and intimate friends, at the home of Dr. Brothers, July 7th, 1884.

A new industry in Malvern, Mrs. L. T. Buell and daughter, Mrs. Lottie Gray have fitted up three rooms above In their business building and are keeping three boys busy gathering osage leaves to feed to the young and ravenous growing silk worms that they have. When grown they commence weaving about themselves a silk fiber web that when finished is about the size of a peanut and is called a cacoon, from which they will realize a good price per pound. This interesting formula at Mrs. Buells is the foundation of the great silk Industry of the World.

D. E. Whitfield recently graduated from the Iowa State University has settled down for business at Atwood, Rawlins County, Kansas.

Miss Eva Copeland daughter of Hon. W. H. Copeland of Vermillion, Dakota, is visiting in Malvern. The Hon. W. H. Copeland is our Billy Copeland of the early days.

Mr. Fred Davis, the survivor of the Wabash wreck at St. Charles, takes his first trip on the road since that event, with some stock. The stock part of the train goes down through a small bridge and the stock killed, but the caboose car this time remains on the track.

Mr. Alvin Robey is assistant Post Master.

J. Degenhart buys the harness business of H. T. Richmond and a company is formed to manufacture the patent horse collar lately invented by Mr. Richmond.
 


Birthday

Mabel Robey celebrates her 8th birthday by the presence at her parents home of her school mates and play companions: Flo Cottrell, Ella Cottrell, Helen Hunter, Nellie Angel, Susie Schaffer, Lillie Chantry, Stella Smith, Miggie Keffer, Sophia Retelsdorf, Carrie Wills, Nellie Churchill, Sadie Paddock, Minnie Dalton and Mamle Donner.

 


Robt. Padget, an efficient helper and citizen for several years sells out his home and embarks in the mercantile business in Nebraska.

A last chance party is given by Jessie and Frankie Duncan. It is leap year 1884, and nearing its close. The young ladies invite the timid young men in and make the most of their leap year privileges.

1885

City, Church and Lodge directory for 1885. Wm. Black Mayor, Walter Larison Recorder, L. W. Boehner Treasurer, J. E. Skadan Assessor, Wm. Donner, Geo. McCabe, M. J. Higgins, James Churchill, J. T. Ward, J. T. Brohard Councilmen, J. L. Talbott street Commissioner and Marshall, Masonic Lodge: M. J. Curtis, W. M.; G. E. Wetmore, Secretary. I. O. O. F J. D. Graves, N. G.; Denny McHugh, Secretary. Churches: W. V. Jeffries, Presbyterian; G. W. Robey, Baptist; J. F. St. Clair, M. E. Church,  G. A. R. Post, A. J. Chantry, P. C.; R. L. Gidley, Adgt.

The Abbott Bros. start a broom factory.

The Bridges Bros. have the picture gallery from McGregor for a while and turn the business over to Mr. S. E. Dearborn.

Rankin succeeds Munson in the brick factory. Dr. H. H. Smith is our new tooth puller. J. T. Ward runs the Q. and P. M Campbell does the same with the Wabash.

 


Death

The white plague takes the life of young Mrs. John Barton.


Mr. Major Barnes and wife are in Kansas where they can see the sunflowers grow.

J. R. Hubbard and family come from Illinois to make Iowa their home.

Will Black and Paul Evans are students at Parsons College. Dave Layton is resident auctioneer of sales.

The partnership of McCabe and Mellor hardware firm is dissolved and Mr. Mellor continues the business.

June 18, 1855, Roose and Wainwright take over the lumber business of R. A. Baird who is forced to give up on account of his health. Mr. Baird is an extra good type of a business man, and it is with regret that his many friends see him leave.

R. S. Padget for many years the efficient and valued helper at the Pioneer Store goes to western Nebraska and starts in business for himself.

Death

Mrs. Frances S. Strahan after a long affliction and patient waiting for the end, the heart today, September 3, 1885, ceases to beat.

 


The Bridges Bros. give a concert at the Opera House and old acquaintances and their late school companions are pleased at their success in their chosen work.

The Central House is leased to Don Roland and renamed ‘The Hawsbrook.". It is a fine name, it will season the hash and make it taste better. Burglars visit the hardware store of McCabe & Co. and take an inventory of stock, make some choice selections of knives, razors and other fine goods. Later they were caught and paid the penalty.

An unique character comes occasionally to see us, James Ballard who styles himself, the Red Oak poet. He rode into town today and gave recitations and song from the sidewalk, some of his own production in prose and poetry. Some of the boys induced him to remain and gave an evening entertainment. They obtained the use of the upper story of the carriage factory and advertised for a crowd. A good sized audience greeted him with such hearty voice in appreciation of his efforts that he did his very best. The hat was passed at the close for a free will offering. Sixty three cents in good money, a few dozen buttons, screws and marbles was the harvest. He enjoyed the attention given him, and the boys could only be pardoned for their fun because of the pleasure it gave to Mr. Ballard.

Will Mitchener who has been a helper at Boehner’s Store resigns his position and Charlie Barnett takes his place.

G. D. Keffer & Co. sell their business to M. J. Curtis but Mr. Keffer stays as manager. 1885 is a cold winter.

Death

It is but a little while since little Eddie Campbell died and now the mother, the wife of P. M. Campbell is taken by death.

 


 

C. H. Paddock, on account of the growing affliction of asthma moves to western Nebraska, hoping the climate will afford him relief.

John Dull, a newcomer is building a home in the north west part of town.

Ed B. Brown ships a good hardware stock to Cortland, Nebr., and opens up for business. Geo. McCabe stays in Malvern buying interest in hardware store of M. J. Curtis.

Birthday

It is Nellie Churchill's 8th birthday and some of her schoolmates surprise her, and have a jolly time. Those present Lillie Chantry Carrie Wills, Mollie Harris, Midgie Keffer, Susie Schaffer, Flo Cottrell, Sophie Retelsdorf, Helen Hunt and May Churchill.
There are cases of small pox in the Strahan neighborhood and the town quarantines against them for thirty days.

 


 

There are cases of smallpox in the Strahan neighborhood and the town quarantined  against them for thirty days.

 


Marriage

Thomas Madigan, the section boss of the Wabash and Mrs. Taylor are quietly married.


 

By tunneling under the wall and floor, burglars get into the Farmers & Traders Bank and make the attempt to open the safe but fail and nothing of value taken.

J. F. Christopher buys a home. Lewis 0. Place and family move to Des Moines, Iowa, where A. D. Place, his brother now resides.

 


Marriage

During the stay with us as a teacher in the school two years ago an acquaintance was formed that culminates in the marriage today August 18, 1885, at the home of G. W. F. Willey at Mt. Pleasant, Iowa, of his daughter Miss Emma S. Willey to Mr. A. L. Young of Malvern. Mr. Wille Y and his daughter, Miss Ida Willey soon follow and become residents of Malvern.

 


 

J. W. Hollins is our baker. Jame Churchill in addition to other business has a wood, coal and feed yard. A grain elevator is being built on the Wabash road.

Mr. Lute Robbins, the owner of the Judkins House hotel property has been making some improvements and leases it to Frank Wilkinson.

 


Marriage

At the Myers home, John Hammon and Minnie Myers are married, November 26, 1885.

 


 

E. B. Brown of The Leader who has been elected as County Auditor, transfers his interests to S. C. Hunter & Co. and takes up his work at Glenwood.

J. F. Evans of Council Bluffs rents the Packing House for the season; M. J. Curtiss, Manager and C. C. Cottrell, Sr., Supt. of work.

Jess Heiner and his old team of mules are doing their part in the work of the day.

Peter Smith is owner and landlord of the Malvern House and the public gave it the name Uncle Peters Hotel.

Malvern people as a part of the Nation, mourn with others the death of Ulysses S. Grant, July 23, 1885.

Our citizen, Joseph Jacqua is a war veteran, having served fourteen years in the U. S. service.

The public school opens up today, August 31, 1885. Prof. W. M. Ireland, Principal; Miss Etta Brown, Mrs. F. A. Marsh, Miss Barbara Molesworth, Miss Anna Jordan, assistants; the primary grades in the building on site of present school building and the higher grades in former Normal school building.

Dr. J. R. Scott of Des Moines, Iowa, is pleased  with the outlook and becomes a resident of Malvern.

Dr. Eddy leaves Malvern and locates at Burnett, Nebr.

Denny McHugh buys the Mrs. Moss property on west 4th Street.

 


Birthdays

The youngsters are celebrating their birthdays. Georgie Robey’s 12th birthday, her friends Libbie Dull, May Paul, Jennie Brohard, Lillie Smith, Stella Page, Blanche Roberts, Cozie Curtis, Bessie Larison, Nellie Boehner, Fannie McCabe and Susie
Schaffer come to help her celebrate the event

1886

New Year’s Day, 1886, a number of our young men formed themselves into an umbrella brigade, for the object as expressed In the following verse:

“We in compliance
With our alliance
Assert in this production
This association, Is a combination
For provender destruction.”

And each one, with an umbrella and a free lunch appetite, started out for the visits and the eats. They lightened the larder at about forty homes, before their hunger was appeased. The members engaged in this riotous raid were J. R. Foulks, Dr. Scott, Dr. Smith, J. W. Foulks, F. A. Paddock, J. F. Smith, Wm. Evans, John Larison, A G. Robey, Frank Bentley, J. H. Byerly and H. J. Baird.

Rev. Merwin and family move to Tabor for the benefits of the college.

Mr. A. E. Cook and wife choose Malvern as their abiding place.

Mr. Eshelmen rents the north room in the bank block for a Clothing Store Stock.

I.O.O.F. officers Installed: 0. H. Snyder N.G., John Knight V. G., W. M. Moore R.S, Wm. Wortz P. S., R. D. Hammond Treasurer, J. A. Mc Curdy Chaplain.

M. J. Curtis retires from the hardware business and the new firm is Mc Cabe & Co. Dr. Robert McNutt is a new comer.

Mrs. Buell trades building and stock to Tom Lough for his farm in Nebraska, and Mrs. Lough is business manager of millinery store.

Wm. M. Evans is starting in the banking business at Randolph.

Alvin Robey, our assistant Post Master is appointed as Railway Postal Clerk on route between Council Bluffs and St. Paul and his sister Miss Nettie takes his place. Irvin Skadan is implement wrestler at his father’s store.

 


Death

Edwin M. Benson, after an illness of several months, dies at the home of his sister Mrs. J. K. DeWolf.

 


 

March, 1886. Prof. Jarboe and his helpers, Denny McHugh, E. E. Bushnell, A. Wilkenson, Charles Hayes, G. A. Bushnell, John Knight, Ben Hawkins, E. E. Daugherty are making it pleasant for us with their sweet note of melody.

Some one to lead, led others to follow, from Henry County, Iowa, and we have a goodly number in Malvern from that locality. In June, 1886, the Henry County clans gathered on the lawn at the home of O. H. Snyder, who was the patriarch of the bunch, it having been his birthplace. There were present, as representatives, Mr. and Mrs. W. D. Evans, Edith and Paul Evans, A. L. Young and wife, Prof. Willey, John Eshelman, A. E. Cook and wife, H. H. Smith and W. W. Fisher. Dr. Scott and Mrs. Anna Goodwin reported absent. After refreshments they enjoyed themselves In recalling reminiscences of the fatherland, listening to music of the band and in eating up all of Snyder’s cherries.

J. H. Hershey and wife of North Platte, Nebr., are visiting at the home of Al Hershey, his brother. Mr. Harry Hershey was one of that trio of young men who came to Malvern in an early day and Mrs. Hershey was Florence McCrary of the McCrary home In Malvern and our first assistant teacher on the opening of our public school.
 


Wedding

P.M. Campbell and Miss Minnie Neiman agree to travel life’s pathway. together. Mr. M. E. Boehner fixes up one of his buildings and goes into the mercantile business. The packing Co. shipped 200,000 lbs. of meat to St. Louis last Friday. A new Clerk, Mr. Howard Dearborn at the Drug Store of Munger & Goodwin.

 


 

Charlie Holmes takes Charlie Barnet’s position at Boehner’s. Dr. W. H. Otis of Elmo, Mo., and family move to Malvern with the highest recommendation to us from the Elmo people. Abbott Bros. add to their broom business the manufacture of broom handles. Geo. Mellor is our Jewelry Store man.

 


Marriages


The young people are mating up like robins in the spring time: D. E. Whitfield, Miss Lillie M. Brothers; John Byerly, Miss Ida Mitchener; F. A. Paddock, Miss May Cleaver; Henry Mills, Miss Mary Holmes; Dr. J. R. Scott, Miss Ida Ida. M. Willey; all have permitted the minister to tie the tie that binds the lovers knot and have assumed the sacred obligations of a married life.

 


 

J. H. Minnich is elected Principal of our schools. J. A. Waggoner is the new agent at the Q. R. L. Gidley receives his appointment as Postmaster. Our soldier citizens and friends are today in attendance at the reunion at Creston, Iowa. General Phil Sheridan meets with them, and is the center of interest, some of the boys were under his command during the days of strife.

 


Death

The young life of Dolly Bentley goes out, the summons come to young as well as old.

 


 

Rev. W. 0. Allen succeeds J. F. St. Clair after his three year pastorate at the M. E. Church.


Death

Mrs. Harriet E. Smith, the mother of Wm., Jesse and Nobe Smith dies today, April 13th. 1886, and the remains taken to Lansing, Iowa, where they will rest beside her husband. Mrs. Martha M. Duncan, mother of Jessie and Frankie Duncan dies September 17th.
 


 

About twenty of our young musical people are associated together as the Monday Night Club. Mr. L. P. Anderson comes in horseback to Sunday evening church service and some stranger borrows his horse and forgets to return it.

In enfeebled health, Rev. 0. W. Robey has to bid farewell to his people as pastor and gets away to Tampa, his new home in the sunny land of Florida.

Thanksgiving day service at the church, and family and friendly gatherings, around the spread out dining tables in many homes.

Our packing house has had to close its doors to business, and the citizens of the town are feel1ng it as a personal loss. The rapid building up of South Omaha at about the same time, the immense amount of capital invested in their plants and being the terminal of go many roads, they possess advantages our people cannot compete with.

John O’Grady Is the faithful watchman at the Q and Wabash crossing. News came up the street this morning that while swing the gate for the Wabash he had broken his leg. Sympathy was aroused for Mr. O'Grady until we learned the particulars. John had two legs, but one of them was a cork leg and it was the cork leg that was broken. The blacksmith and the shoemaker soon made it as good as new.
 

Geo. Wetmore sells his restaurant to Chester Berkhimer. J. B. Rose of Villisca takes charge of the creamery business. Rev. Geo. H. Brown is pastor of the Baptist Church.

Not absent a day from his work at the shop of J. K. DeWolf for three years, George Rockafellow takes a vacation.

1887

Early in the evening of January 19th, 1887, the dreaded cry of fire, fire, came ringing up first avenue, and business men rushed from their business and people from their homes to the scene. Fire had broken out in one of six frame buildings in what was called Norris Block and the fire spread quickly in both directions and soon was a sheet of flame. Our present organization of faithful fire boys was not in existence and the fire seem to laugh at the feeble efforts of the bucket brigade in trying to quench it. It was evident that the entire row of buildings was doomed to destruction and all hands turned to save the buildings across the street, that the intense heat was now scorching the stores of Munger and Goodwin and Alexander and crumbling the thick plate glass of L. W. Boehner and Co.’s fine brick store building. In the frame row, there were only two business places, McCabe & Co. Hardware and M. E. Boehner Groceries, the upper rooms being partly occupied as sleeping rooms and residence apartments. Mr. Douglas and family lived in the Glynn building and the sick and helpless mother was hurriedly carried from the bed to safety. Little comparatively was saved from the homes and sleeping rooms. Faithful watches on top and about the buildings across the street were kept busy to quench the flying firebrands. To these toilers with the water buckets was due the saving of an immense va1ue of other property. No insurance on buildings destroyed owned by Wm. Norris, John Glynn, Hayes Bros., M. E. Boehner and James Churchill. Loss on stock of McCabe & Co. and M. E. Boehnoer nearly made good by insurance.


W. W. Fisher is a new business man with a dry goods store. Mr. John Flanagan and E. Witt move in and become citizens of the town. A change in business, it is now Keffer & Wainwright.

P. M. Campbell, the efficient agent of the Wabash accepts a position with the Union Pacific and G. K. Vauhn takes his place.

 


Death

A suicide of a stranger at the Q Depot, this morning. Letters upon his person gave his name as Jacob Trion, and they indicated that remorse for some crime committed in the past was cause of the act; no clue to the location of any friends. The coroner’s orders to bury the body as found was carried out and in his blood besmeared clothing, in overcoat and rubber boots, his body was consigned to a paupers grave in our cemetery. That it was done in such a manner is a disgraceful bit of history.

 


 

Wm. Bennett buys an Interest In the Abbott broom factory and they plan to enlarge the business.

The revival meetings conducted by Mrs. Libby at the M. E. Church close with lasting influence for good to many lives. Mr. Allen, the pastor of the church was so pleased with the evangelist that later on he persuaded her to assume the name of Mrs. Allen.
 


Death

D. W. C. Kline a long time resident of Malvern dies at his home in Maryville, Mo., and has a resting place in the Malvern Cemetery. Jennie Wise Davis dies at the home of James H. Smith.


Marriage

Two of our young people formerly, so well and favorably known and liked that we go over the line and announce the marriage of Frank Bentley and Miss Nettie Robey, who will be at home at Syracuse, Kansas.
 


Death

News reaches friends that our former respected business man of Malvern, R. A. Baird is dead at his home at Garden City, Kansas, May 4th, 1887. This morning the life of Richard L. Gidley slowly ebbs away, a good citizen performing faithfully and honestly his part of the guard duty of the town, an early comer, and finding a wife here, Miss Sena Mabee, to whom he was married in 1878.

 


 

Prof. Wilbur Davis is this year principal of our school and Laura Bishop, Grace Welch, Marie Butterfield and Florence Cook assistants.

Mrs. Gidley succeeds her husband as postmistress and Alice Brothers is assistant.

A camp of sons of veterans established and named Malvern Hill. M. A. Chantry Captain, J. E. Johnson 1st Lieutenant, L. G. Newman 2nd Lieutenant, R. F. Salyers Orderly Seargt.

Prof. Willey while taking a walk to day up the Wabash, discovers a broken rail in the track near Mr. Boston’s. The south bound passenger would soon be due. He places a handkerchief signal on a stick at the break and hurries up the track and waving another; the train is stopped and a terrible accident probably averted.

Our National holiday for 1887 was properly observed and a big and patriotic crowd in attendance. C. W. Black, President of the day; J. K. DeWoIf, Marshall with Ed Cleaver and J. T. Ward assistants; Captain C. S. Howard the eloquent orator of the day. The great attraction about dinner time was the roasted ox and the invitation for all to bring their cup and plate for a piece of the big roast and a cup of coffee free of charge.


Marriage

Dr. H. H. Smith, our dentist lays down his forceps for a few days and takes unto himself a wife, Miss Flo Brothers.


 

Mr. Onist Larson in the employ of W. M. Mccoy has been able to send for wife and son in Denmark and they meet today after three years of separation.


Death

The funeral service of little Edith Barton is being held today, attracting much interest from her being the victim of ptomaine poison, at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Curtis. Efficient medical service saved the lives of Mrs. Curtis, Mrs. Sweetzer and John Barton the father.


 

Marriage

Miss Emma Bartlett promises to obey Mr. Fred F. Smith in the marriage vows. Chas. Larison buys the J. W. Bartlett home and Walter Larison sells his to H. T. Richmond.

 


Death

Mrs. J. H. Meeks dies.

 


 

Ed Cleaver buys out the meat market of J.K. DeWolt.

The family of M. J. Curtis, so long residents of Malvern leave for Wakeeny, Kansas, and A. H. Landis and family move into town and become owners of the M. T. Davis home.

Colyer Boston succeeds Alice Brothers at the post office.

 


Death

M. E. Boehner after a lingering illness dies today December 6, 1887. Mr. Boehner was one of the earliest settlers of the town and an honored citizen.


Rev. S. J. McCormick is called to the pastorate of the Baptist Church.

Quite an important event in the history of the town is the opening up and occupancy of the new brick block of elegant store rooms just completed by L. W. Boehner & Co., R. E. K. Mellor and R. W. Hyde on first avenue, and also that it is the consummation of the plans of the pioneer movers from the lower town to the higher ground on First Avenue and unites the interests of the whole town for the common good.
 

W. G. Wagner succeeds his brother J. A. Wagner as Q Agent.

A. J. Chantry is our Representative to the State House.

Mr. Anderson swaps the Central Hotel with a Mr. Parker for Missouri land. Henry Stich has charge of the picture gallery, formerly owned by Mr. Dearborn.

A memorable event in the amusement column was the masquerade party at the 0. F. Hall, participated in by all the pleasure loving people of the town, in gay and fanciful costume.

Stone and Belden buy the brick and tile business of 0. T. Rankin.

 


1888

Deaths

February 20th, 1888, Mrs. I. B. Ringland dies, rather a sudden summons, and the only ones at home were Mrs. Mellor and the son Harvey, Mr. Mellor being in Vermont at the bedside of his sick parents, Mrs. Wilson at Blakeman, Kansas, but did not receive telegram Until too late to come; Mrs. Smith and her husband In California. It was a sad homecoming to the daughters when they again got together under the roof of their childhood home, with the mother gone. This home was the starting point of the first funeral procession from our little village In 1870, when little Willie, the baby toddler of 17 months, was in the casket for burial.

 


 

We are feeling the results of the strike of engineers and firemen on the Q. Freight traffic entirely suspended and mall and passenger trains
nearly so.

Mr. Davis brings his plant for publication of the Iowa Leader to Malvern.

 


Death
 

Uncle John Williams dies, happy in the thought that he had some treasures, laid up over beyond if not the owner of them here.

 


 

Geo. Rockafellow opens up a meat market of his own. J. R. Hubbard buys the dray line of J. L. Talbott.

April 27th, 1888. The first observance of Arbor Day in Malvern, by a pleasing program of exercises and tree planting by the high school students.

H. G. Rising who set the type for Volume 1 Number 1 of the Leader is greeting friends here today. He is the publisher of a daily paper at Chickamauga, Tenn.

James J. Wilson accepts a position as one of the working force at the First National Bank.

A base ball game is the attraction today, between the lads and their dads, the lads are the winners.


Death

Death closes the eyes of little Nell today, thirteen years the span of her life, the idol of the mother and the pride of many friends old and young. The sympathy of the community goes out to the stricken mother, Mrs. M. Angel, as friends lay away in the tomb, the centered affections of her own very life. The husband and the little lad, the son, had already been taken, and now the daughter has gone.

 


 

A new business firm. F. S. Leighty, the corner grocer. Mr. Seeger is improving his mill by putting in machinery for grinding wheat.

 


Wedding

Mr. C.H. Withnell of Omaha comes to Malvern for a wife, Miss Alfaretta Cleaver

 




As an aid in suppression of intemperance an I. 0. G. T. Lodge is organized and officers elected, Thomas Paul, G. H. Roose, Mrs. Kate Keffer, H. Dolph, Miss Blanche Roberts, Mrs. Landis, L. G; Marsh and Paul Evans.

 


Death


Uncle Peter Smith, the landlord of the Malvern House for many years, completes life’s Journey.

 


Birthday

Pet Rickabaugh is seventeen today and a bevy, of young friends help her celebrate.

 


Marriage

Frank Strahan and Miss Lou Larison, two of our young people marry and start for their new home at Wayne, Nebr. Our bachelor Charlie Dinwiddle concludes to take a partner and weds Mrs. Martha D. Morton of Nebraska City and Albert B. Adams and Addie L. Graves march to the same music. Geo. Salyers and Miss Ella Kayton are united in the holy bonds of marriage.

 


Miss Josie Wetmore goes to the Woman’s Medical College at Chicago to complete her studies as a doctor.

The home of John Hatfield burns this evening with most of the household goods.
 


Death

A.D. Place a business man of Malvern from 1873-1881, dies at his home in Riverside, California.

 


Robt. Mellor sells out his business to A. J. Kronsbein.

It is lively times in the old town these days with political rallies and torchlight processions, and martial music, The winner Cleveland is the last battle is now the loser.

W. H. Abbott, John O'Grady and John Robrahn are stockholders in the the Malvern Cigar factory.

I. J. Swain, in order to be nearer his work sells his nice home in town, to Walter Larison and moves out to the farm. Frank Beam succeeds G. K. Vaughan at the Wabash.

Land values have advanced some since 1888. Rev. Merwin sells his farm near Lawrence Station to J. W. Barnes for $22 per acre.

A. J. Chantry purchases the nice home of 0. H. Snyder. John Knight and Miss Rose Barnet are married today at the Barnet home.

The Christian Church is completed and dedicated today December, 28, 1888, another temple of worship.

1889

.It is now twenty years since the coming of the covered wagon and the first start of the town. The lone building erected out in the weed pasture, has been the nucleus around which has grown many more. The lonesome view and the bright vista of the imagination of better things to come, has been realized. The helpers and business associates, the school and scholars, the churches, fine homes and green grass lawns are all here now.

Knights of Pythias Lodge instituted and officers elected, A. E. Cook, G. D. Keffer, J. P. Munger, W. Larison, W. G. Wagner, W. H. Otis, G. C. Boston, C. E. Holmes, J. H. Hubbard and W. H. Byers.

W. D, Evans retires from the active duties of the Farmers and Traders Bank, turning the business over to son and daughter, Will and Edith Evans, who are qualified by long experience as helpers to manage its affairs.

J., Degenhart purchases Thos, Lough’s business building and fits it up for his business.

 


Marriages

J. M. Strahan and Mrs. M. W. Guilford are united in marriage at G1enwood by Rev. S. J. McCormick.



The first annual meeting of The Farmers Institute of Mills County is held at Malvern. Town election held and the following officers were elected: H. Barnes Mayor, J T. Ward Recorder, C. F. Goodwin Treasurer. S. Wainwright, and J. K. DeWolf councilmen.


Wedding

Irving Skadan and Miss Jessie Duncan take a joy ride to Red Oak and the Presbyterian minister soon performs the ceremony that makes them husband and and wife.


 

W. H. Byers buys the H. Barnes property and starts out on the highway of business life.

Grace and Harry Landis had a gathering at their parents home last Tuesday evening as per list below of youngsters then, but now older grown. There were present Ella, Flo and Katie Cottrell, Susie, Bee and Dell Schaffer, Midgie Keffer, Mabel and Elwood Barrick, Paul and Sophie Ret clsdorf, Pearl Mellor, Helen Mather, Mamie Donner, Maud Norton, Ralph Roberts, Frank Higgins, Carrie Wills, Dakin Miller, Frank Goodwin, Will Edmqnds, Grant Lewis, Kittie and Robie McCormick, Oscar McCoy, Min nie ana Stella Smith, Retta and George Perdue, Anna Harvey, Charlie and Harry Cleaver and Ralph Brothers.

G. E. Wetmore is erecting a building for his business. Dr. Marsh and J. T. Ward succeed 0. H. Snyder as pharmacists.

R. F. Norton of Kellogg, Iowa, buys an Interest in the Creamery and soon has it going in good shape. The price of fat cattle is very low, friends who shipped last week had enough to pay freight and commission and get home alive.

C. B. Christy and family become residents of Malvern.

J.R. Hubbard buys the Bowman property for a home. Mr. T. D. Gibson buys property in the Bank Block, takes off his coat and invites customers to come and see him for groceries.

Fred Lockwood is the new helper at Larison Bros. shop.

April 4th, 1889. A notable social event took place commemorating the fiftieth anniversary of wedded life as per invitation cards sent out giving this announcement: Our Fiftieth Anniversary, Capt. H. H.E. Boehner and Louisa H. Moir, married at Cowes, Isle of Wight, England, April 4, 1839. Golden Wedding at Malvern, Iowa, Friday, April 4, 1889. ReceptIon, Friday and Saturday, April 4 and 5, from 10 a. in. to 6 p. in. No presents. Rev. Mr. Mackey of Council Bluffs, tied the knot anew that had held for fifty years.The relatlves at home and from abroad made a goodlY company at the ceremony. Throngs of friends attended the reception days and added their hearty congratulations to the young bride and groom.

A new base ball team has been organized: Capt. F. A. Marsh, Catcher W. A. Black, Pitcher W. M. Evans, 1st base Ed. B. Brown, 2nd base Join Cairior, 3rd base F. A. Marsh, Short stop H. A. Baird, left field Ed McCurdy, center field C. E. Holmes, right field Harry Dull. The sporting editor of the Leader says: “This club is a good one and ought to be able to mop up the soil with the village clubs round about.” These boys are now older grown and business men, scattered abroad striving to catch the balls of prosperity and success, that cogie flying their way. May they all be successful and honest players in the contests of life.

Roose & Wainwright sell lumber business to Iowa Lumber Co., Mr. G. E. Poyneer Manager. Dr. Otis buys W. E. Bartlette’s residence.

 


Death

Death takes Nettie, the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Dunn and Philip Kryselmier a resident of Malvern since 1879. The Knights of Labor Malvern Lodge officiate at Mr. Kryselmier’s funeral service.

 



Mr. and Mrs. W. E, Bartlett leave us after several years residence here.

An election in favor of a two per cent tax in aid of the Tabor and Northern Railroad carried 98 for, 56 against.

 


Death

The death toll of two more residents of Malvern, Mr. B. L. Hays and Mrs. John Hatfield.
 


 

S.N. Shanks a newcomer buys the Shuman property. Mrs. Foster of Hastings purchases the Wilkinson house hotel for $2000.

The sympathy of the town is aroused in aid of the Johnstown, Penn., flood sufferers and $122.54 is sent them.

The Misses Marmie and Nellie Boehner are quite popular business women as the lady grocers.

G. C. Seeger trades his little mill property with Peck and Rogers for land.

Church directory: Rev. M. McConnell Christian Church, M. R. Harned M. E. Church, S J. McCormick Baptist Church, W. V. Jeffries Presbyterian Church, Father Cook Catholic Church.

The Perfection End Gate Co. shipped out a car load of their gates to Deere Wells & Co.

Mr. John Dyson is our representative on the board of County Supervisors with H. B. Cheney and F. F. Deitschler.

The school board change the time of school year from 8 to 8 ˝ months.

Foulks Bros. sell their harness business to Wm. Wortz and Charlie Cook

 


Death

The little two year old lad of Mr. and Mrs. John Barrett falls into a boiler of hot water and death soon comes to the little sufferer.

 


 

Nicholas Schmittroth is our maker of bread and cakes.

Foulks Bros. have completed their fine new brick building on the east side of First Avenue and the new Clothing Store firm of Baker and Kneeland open out and commence business. With only a few changes they are at this writing as Kneeland and Kneeland the oldest continuous firm of the long list of Malvern merchants.

Roose and Wainwright repurchase their old business of The Iowa Lumber Co. after three months of travel and investigation, and settle down again as residents of Malvern.

B. F. Buffingtcn & Son open up in the banking business in their new building on the east side of First avenue. Charlie Buffington assumes the working part of the business.

Collyer Boston resigns his position at the Post Office and becomes a salesman at the new Clothing Store. Miss Rose Mabee succeeds him at the post office wicket with her sunny smiles or sunny frowns as the case might be.

A family reunion today of unusual character and interest occurs at the home of Mr. and Mrs. E.R. Graves when their family of nine children were all together for the first time in their lives, some of the older ones having gone out from the parental roof before the younger ones were born. They are now all of them for this gathering around the spread out dining table of the parents home.

The old settlers had such a good time last year 1888, that they meet with us again. President Mickelwait ably directed the affairs of the reunion last year and President Clark of Council Bluffs is at the helm this year. A special train on the Wabash brought three crowded coaches of pleasure seekers and Dalbeys Band. The program of the day: Music by The ‘Malvern Glee Club and the band, Rev. Geo. C. Rice invokes divine blessing upon the gathering, W. S. Lewis address of welcome, John N. Baldwin delivers the annual address. All could not participate in the program of entertainment, but when the hundreds of picnic dinners were spread there were none but what thought they were qualified to take part. After dinner Rev. Crofts read a poem written for the occasion, W. H. M. Pusey gave a short address. Visiting and music for a while closed the exercises of a very pleasant and enjoyable gathering.

Tom Butler buys John Blades home. Our country neighbors and towns people have been helping with the display of our county products at the Blue Grass Palace at Creston where many of our people are going today.

W. M. Lewis who has been for 6 years a diligent student of the art preservative at the Leader print rooms, graduates with honor and goes out, seeking wider fields.

We say good bye to 0. H. Snyder and family as they move to Plattsmouth, Nebr., we shall miss them.


Death

A Mr. Kennedy of Villisca is killed by the passing of the fast mail train at the Q station. This calls to mind the death of E. H. Mabee, the well liked agent at the Q, who was by the reckless bumping of the switching engine, thrown from the top of a car and so terribly injured that death came December 11, 1877.

 


 

E. F. Korns of Phlllipsburg, Kas., formerly a newspaper man In Malvern Is here shaking hands with old time friends.

As we read the tributes of esteem and respect of W. D. Evans and A. B. Sisson to the memory of Mr. C. A Donner, we mention our error, in previous record made, that should have been placed at this date, November 3, 1889 instead.

Thanksgiving service for benefits and blessings of the year past is held at Baptist Church, Rev. C. M. Ward preaching the sermon.

Horace DeWolf is thirteen today and his playmates gather and help him celebrate.

 


Wedding

G. C. Boston and Hattie Wilkinson agree to walk the ways of life together.

 



Geo. Mellor moves his business into his fine new store room, north of Buffington Bank. James Maguire buys W. G. Wagner’s borne and Samuel Shutterly buys Dinwiddie’s property. Frank Goodwin goes Into business at Missouri Valley.

Plucky Tabor wins and railroad connections are made between the College town and Malvern. In the early days Tabor was a well known station on the road from slavery and freedom, and passengers were carried free. Davis & Cunningham are the first shippers of livestock over the Tabor and Northern.

1890

1890 records A. H. Landis purchases the Greeson property for a home.

Rev. McCormick is called as pastor of the Baptist Church.

A daughter is left at the home of Mr. and Mrs. J. R. Hubbard.

 


Marriage

Miss Ethel L. Norris and Charles W. Bigger are married today at the Norris home.

 




Frank Hough takes his position as Jeweler at Munger & Goodwin Store.

W. A. Barkus and family become residents of Malvern and Mr. Barkus opens a laundry In Churchill block on 3rd street.

Good Templars Lodge elect officers: Miss Eva Landis C. T., Miss Ella Miller V. T., Miss Nannie Roose Secretary, Clyde Wills F. Sec., Miss Chattie Guilford Treasurer, Miss Ida Roose Chaplain, Geo. Cleaver Marshall, Ralph Brothers Guard, Obb Raines Sentinel, May Paul Organist.

 


Deaths

We go out over the border to make record of the death of former residents of Malvern, Mrs. Sweetzer at her later home in Sacramento, Calf., who was for eighteen years a history maker for good in her home in Malvern; of Mrs. Arthur Brown, nee Miss Nettie Rhodes at Portland, Ore., and Mrs. Kryseimier in her Malvern home.


Another fire breaks out in the Abbott & Gavitt broom factory down on 3rd Street, burning quickly, the family of Wesley Petty barely having time to escape. Mr. Barkus’ laundry goods mostly saved. Lossses were Mr. Churchill on building, Foulka Bros. on goods stored, G. Schuckmeilska shoe repair shop and Petty and Barkus on household goods.

The Tabor and Northern Railroad commence doing business for Uncle Sam in carrying the mails.

The early ones down town Saturday morning were horrified to see a human form hanging from the front of E. B. Brown & Co. Store. It was an effigy of the noted McGinty.


John Robrahn builds brick veneared residence south of M. E. Church. Frank Day and his mother move from Strahan to Malvern.

G. D. Keffer and family move to Hastings to take charge as manager of Kronsbeins branch store. George has proved to be a stayer there and at this writing is driving away at the same line of business.

Miss Frazier is elected principal of our schools. R. E. K Mellor, a long time business man here, with his family start a new business and a home at Wayne, Nebr.

Miss Katie Kline takes the place of Miss Pet Rickabaugh with Boehner Mercantile Co.

The best medical skill is not able to save the life of little Bertle Munger who dies to day.

Dr. Campbell has completed his new office building on the ground floor on 1st avenue.

 


Birthday

Some of the young folks who surprise Georgie Smith on her birthday are Nelfie Churchill, Annie Moore, Duck and Maud Wilkinson, Maud Vandevert, Ollie and Hopie Gavltt, Elsie Chantry, Maud Raines, Mabel Wetmore, Eva Lockwood, Maud Landis, Hazel Campbell.

 


Marriage

W. H. Byers and Miss Jennie Mabee form a marriage partnership.

 




Quite a number of our people are attending the Council Bluffs Chautauqua.


 


Birth

The stork leaves a bunch of three babies at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Jess Heiner, but they stay only a few days.

 




Mills County Normal Institute Is held in the high school building, with good attendance and an Instructive program of work.

H. H. Stich purchases the picture gallery of Mr. Tolman for whom he has been manager.

 


Reunion

The reunion of the surviving comrades of the ‘29th Iowa Infantry on August 12th and 13th was a memorable event for them, and also for those from other regiments and states who took part with them in the glad gathering. From the register of names of those present, so many have since been mustered out, that only a small company could now be present at roll call.

 




The little kindergarten folks who have been under the care and training of Miss Griffith assisted by Mrs. Ed Brown for a while, separate today.

 


Marriage

Miss Blanche Roberts and L. W. Boehner are married today at the home of Mrs. Ruth Roberts and are off on a tour of travel.

 




R. F. Norton purchases the entire interests of the Creamery. John Dyson Jr. Is one of the helpers at the post office.

Wm. Marshall formerly in business here returns and buys the bakery of Mrs. Wilkinson and combines the two, bakery and meat shop


Marriage

Rev. G. C. Waynick unites in marriage this 22nd day of September, 1890, at the home of her mother Mrs. Mat Boehner, her daughter Nellie and John R. Foulks.

 




The Mills County Fair has just closed its gates on Pits exhibits for the year 1890, and has a balance on the credit side.

 


Death

Death calls Thomas Bonham, of firm of Bonham & Hammond, who dies at the home of his son in Council Bluffs, and laid to rest in our silent city of the dead.

 




Lodge and Church directory for 1890: Masonic, H. H. Norton, W. M; W. J. C. Smith. Secretary. I. 0. 0. F., F. A. Marsh, N, G,; Wm. Wortz, V. C.; Thos. Hawkins Jr., Secretary. K. of P.: Jesse Smith, C. C.; C. E, holmes, V. C.; F.M. Beam, Rec. K. of L. Assembly Hall over Retelslor Tailor Shop. G. A. H.: J. M. Johnson, P. C.; Thos, Paul, Adjt. Sons of V. .Malvern Hill Camp, J. E. Johnson Capt. I. 0. G. T.: Katie Kline, C T.; Nannie Norton Secretary. Church Pastors: M. A. Hampton, Christian Church C. M. Ward Methodist; W. J. Watson, Baptist; D. B. Fleming. Presbyterian. A. Hershey, Mayor.

A pair of bright boys are left at the home of Mr. and Mrs. A. E. Cook.

Floral Hall at Fair Grounds burned last night, cause unknown.

Mrs. Betts, a business woman, buys the Ringland home on Douglas Street, with a view of making it a hotel. This was the first start of the Cottage which has had a number of landladies and landlords since Mrs. Betta dedicated it to the traveling public. But its doors arc still open for the weary and hungry ones.

The Woody Bros. entertainment with whom are the Bridges brothers, Malvern boys, given last evening, was very much enjoyed by our music loving people and pleased at the part taken on the program by the Bridges boys.

A. H. Earhart buys C. B. Christy residence.

Robt. Hammond sells his Peacevilie home and is looking around for a little piece of ground inside the Corporate limits of Malvern.

Our former citizen and businessman, Rev Wallace the marrying parson, is yet alive and at the business, having just married his 807th couple at his home town of Clarinda,

Nard Byers and W. A. Crow are putting up a blacksmith shop west of Skadan’s Implement house.

G. H. Roose is building a nice cottage home on Center Street, half way up the hill.

Rev. Watson and Henry Baird, as pilots for the writer and twenty seven of his Sunday school boys, have a rabbit hunt and roast over the camp fire for a beautifu1 December day picnic down on the Nishna. The boys then, flow men grown will remember the jolly time we had if they do not have a snap shot picture of the gathering.
source: From
History of Mills County 1881

~ transcribed by Cay Merryman

 

back to Mills County Home