Mills County, Iowa  


History Journal




Contributed by Joe DeGisi with permission from Beverly Boileau


by D.H. Solomon


Continued ........

- 10 -

Mills County Journal
Glenwood, Iowa
July 22, 1876

In the Spring of 1847, a party of Mormons, who had been located in Nebraska north and west of the ferry at Traders Point, under the leadership of Alpheus Cutler, at a grove that was called "Cutler's Park," recrossed the Missouri river and settled on Silver Creek in our county, at the place long afterward and still known as Cutler's Camp. Alpheus Cutler, who appears to have been considerable of a man, was still their ruling spirit. Among them were Alpheus Cutler, Lewis Chauncey and Sylvester Whiting. These Whitings were all chair makers, and manufactured and sold thousands of split bottom chairs throughout all this country, some of which are yet to be found among our old settlers, who have not grown so proud as to sacrifice ease, comfort, cheapness and durability, for cushioned and ornamented chairs so richly cushioned and ornamented that each chair costs more than a dozen of Whitney's split bottoms. Walter and Johnson Cox, Wm. Redfield, _____ Sherman, Noah S. Cotton, the Burdicks, Fishers and many others, in all over one hundred families, on reaching there found nobody there ahead of them. A majority of them settled for permanence. The camp was a large one and composed of two, the upper and lower. The upper camp was on the upland where Daniel Lewis' farm is; the lower one within half a mile of the creek. Asa Davis was settled about one mile up the creek from the lower camp.

There was breaking done that spring (1847) but they cleared timber and brush land and broke it instead of prairie. The camp came very near starvation, having scarcely anything but parched corn and milk, besides game to subsist on.

The first corn meal was obtained in this way: By cutting off the top of a stump, square, then by use of augers, chisels, etc., making a hole in the same. In the bottom of that, placing some iron which was taken from a wagon bed, and thus making a mortar, and in this with a pestle made of a piece of wood, with some iron fastened upon the end; and with this pounding and breaking the corn into meal.

Plowing was done with _____ boards, some of it was dug up with grubbing hoes. One of the Whitneys made a stirring plow of wood alone and plowed 3 or 4 acres with it. There was plenty of deer, turkey, and in fact all kinds of game except buffalo; there were a few elk.

There were some Indians there yet but they were leaving and fixing to leave the country.

A settlement was also made, at the place which is now the farm of our worthy old neighbor, Wilson Bomar, and on the hill east of this elegant brick residence, in the same year, 1847, by Alexander Kidd, Harvey and John Runnells. It was the bells on their cattle that Billy Wolfe and Alex Berger heard, while camping on Keg Creek - as is below stated.

- 11 -


In the fall of 1847, old uncle Billy Wolfe, of Rawles Township and Abram Berger came up from Missouri and passed through this county looking up claims for permanent homes.

They passed up north but returned; they crossed Keg creek at the place where the bridge at the fair ground now is, at a ford, there being no bridges there then. They camped there all night, and in the morning heard cow bells and knew there must be a settlement somewhere near. They traveled southeast about 2 miles and came to a house, it was the place called Kidd's grove. A Mormon lived there, and there they got breakfast. Abel Burger that fall selected the place where Glenwood now is hired some logs cut and a house built, to come to in the spring. Billy Wolfe selected the spot where his farm is now, and they went back to return in the spring.


In February, 1848, a party composed of Billy Britton, Libbeus T. Coons, Silas Hillman and Hira Hillman, Russell Rogers, Almond Williams, Jesse Meechomb and Jonathan Everett, came up from Rushville in search of claims in the upland and hills, in order to secure timber, soil and water. They crossed the Pony creek lake in the bottom on the ice and came on over the hills to the land we are now on. On arriving here they found nobody. But they did find some timber felled and logs cut, some of them 30 foot cuts and very large. These logs were on the branch heading back of the Betts house and running into Keg creek in Walnut street in Glenwood. Britton selected a place on the west side of Glenwood and built at about where Cunnington lived awhile. All of the party built but Meechomb. Coons built on the west side and Everett on the east side of the spring, at the head of the branch back of the Betts house, in block 20, at Glenwood. Coons took up the claim where Glenwood now stands. He built his house of the logs that had been cut the winter before for Abel Burger. Silas Hillman built upon what is now called Tinkel's branch, at a place where Esq. Snuffin afterwards lived, and where H.C. Newell now lives, and Hira Hillman built on the opposite side of that branch. Almond Williams built on the north side of the branch at the place where Uncle Johny Moore lives now.

When through building the houses and ready to return to Rushville, the route they came being impassable, owing to the mud and water, they made a bridge across Keg creek. This bridge was above the mouth of the branch that Coons built on, and just about where the white How bridge now is across Keg creek and on Vine street. They used some of the logs they found cut, for this bridge, threw stringers across and covered with split logs.

Britton moved up into his house in March 1848, and the others came soon after or about the same time.

That spring, Burger came back and finding his claim jumped by Coons, he was very angry and they had a big quarrel about it, but Coons kept the claim. Burger settled at Kidd's grove, two or three miles east of Glenwood. The stages soon began to run from St. Joe to the place where

- 12 -

Council Bluffs is now, crossing Keg Creek on the bridge built by Britton & Co., out of Burger's logs. W.W. Noyes lived two miles south of town and stages stopped at his house.

In the spring of 1848, Billy Wolfe came up and settled on the farm where he now lives. Old man Cummings, Thos. Cummings' father, and Greenbury T. Jones, were then there and were living on the old Indian chief's place, Wah-ha-bon-sah's; they were living in his houses. Joseph Rawles came up the same spring; he bought the old Wiles place of Bickmore and sold to old Thomas Wiles.

Wolfe, Burger, and Rawles were the pioneer Gentile settlers, the others being Mormons or Latter Day Saints.

J.W. Coolidge came in May 1849 and settled on the hill south of Keg creek. George Clark and Stephen Farnsworth took up the claim where the mill now stands (the old Coolidge mill) and got Coolidge to come in with them and put up the mill. They took up the claim in 1848, but the mill was not built until the summer and fall of 1849. They sawed lumber for the mill with a whip saw until they got the saw mill to running. James Owen settled in 1848 at a point on the Missouri river opposite Plattsmouth, afterwards called Bethlehem.

In 1849, the Coolidge mill went into operation. A town was laid off on Coons' claim, where Glenwood now is, and called Coonville. The first school house in Coonville was built. This was of logs, and the first teacher was a woman, Mrs. Owen. This house was burned down and another was built on the same spot where the old one stood, and was one that is now on lot 7, in block 28, in Glenwood. It was in this house that I taught school in the summer and fall of 1853.

This mill, Coolidge's, was at that time the only mill in all south-western Iowa, except that old government mill on Mosquito creek, in Pottawattamie Co.

An election was held near Coonville in August 1849, at the house of George Liston on the land now owned by John Byers. D.M. Gammett was elected Justice of the Peace. He lived where Leonard Houston has lived for a long time and still lives. It was before him the earliest trials in the county were had. But for these things I have no record and have to take tradition only.

But from the poll books of 1851, it is seen that the judges of that election were sworn in by the following persons in the capacity of justice of the peace. West Liberty township (Glenwood) W.W. Noyes; Bethlehem township (Platteville), J.B. Wilson; Rawles township, James McCord.

There is a poll book from Silver creek but the judges there do not appear to have been sworn in. From this we may safely infer that Noyes, Wilson, and McCord were justices and elected in 1849, at the same time Gammett was.

The judges were sworn to the "best of their ability, studiously to endeavor to prevent fraud, deceit or abuse."

So the Democrats should not be too confident in charging upon the Republicans the origin of all fraud, deceit and abuse in office, for it was feared in Coonville 25 years ago. L.T. Coons was first postmaster at Coonville, and kept it at his log cabin on the west side of the spring.

- 13 -

Wm. E. Dean came to Wahabonsah in 1849, and so did also Fred Rector, a large farmer in Fremont county. In August he settled in one of the old fort buildings in Wahabonsah village, in Mills county. James Cummings and Jonathan and Michael Kerns and John Burger were there then. A.H. Burger came here this year, and this year the Indians from across the river were very troublesome. They frequently crossed over from Nebraska and stole stock. James Davenport, who had settled and established a blacksmith shop in 1847, on what is now called the John Askwig farm on Pony creek - this was John Davenport's father - had cattle stolen by them in the spring of 1849, four cows and two yearling heifers. The Indians took them to the bank of the river, butchered them, and crossed them over in a canoe. The old man reached the bank in pursuit just in time to see them going over.

Provisions this year were scarce and high, but wild game plenty and fuel cheap. I can hear of no wheat that had been raised up to that time, in the county. John Sivers' son, John Henry, was born July 19, 1849, but 15 days after their landing here, and Willie Coolidge was born December 10 of that year. The California and Salt Lake emigration was heavy in the spring of 1850 and prices at Coolidge's mill were as follows: Flour, per cwt., $10; corn meal, per bushel, $3; bran, per bushel, $1.

In 1849, about the first of June, Moses Martin landed at Traders Point. Our friend, 0.N. Tyson, so long a leading and influential citizen with us was then there; so was old Dr. Clark. This man had but one eye. He and one Wheeling, and Fred Lord were conspicuous men there then. They figured largely and were the leading spirits. There being no political organizations, there was no law to govern, control, or punish; every man was a law unto himself. Clark and Wheeling claimed to own the ferry. The county lines not having been run out or established, they hoped and pretended to know that when this was done, Traders Point, or Council Bluffs as it was called by many, would be in the center of the western border of the new county. Speculations ran high - Clark and Wheeling went as a lobby to the Legislature to log roll certain measures through. The slope had no recognized representation. The importance of roads and stage routes was not overlooked, and I find in an act of the Legislature passed the 5th of February 1851, section 34, which reads as follows:

"That 0.N. Tyson, Wm. Lane, and Wm. H. Look of Pottawattamie county, are hereby appointed commissioners to locate and establish a State road from Council Bluffs via Kanesville and Silver Creek to Indian Town, on the East Nishnabotany river."

Kanesville was the name then given to the city now known as Council Bluffs. The name was changed from Kanesville to Council Bluffs by an act of the Legislature in 1853.

The point which was known on the atlasses in the days of my boyhood as Council Bluffs, was some 25 miles above Kanesville, and on the west bank of the Missouri river, so called from a council or big talk had there between the Indians and Lewis and Clark, during their trip up the river in the year 1804, known as Lewis and Clark's expedition. The government afterwards built a fort and powder magazine there. It was called Fort Calhoun.

- 14 -

Traders Point, through its ambitious spirits, tried to appropriate the name, but it was beaten by its more successful rivals. The name of Council Bluffs was retained, however, partially, as the first township established in our county, in its northwest corner, was called Council Bluffs. It is now St. Mary's. Many were attracted to Traders Point. It was quite a place of busines from '46 to '52. In some way or other a great deal of counterfeit specie silver made its appearance there. The impression prevailed that it was made there or near there. There were a great many rumors afloat, and conjecture was on tip toe, till at length, some men who were butchering hogs and who took up the floor of a house to use as a platform to dress them upon, discovered the press, material, dies, etc., under the floor. They were wrapped in an old blanket. A large astonished crowd gathered and hammered it to pieces. The strangest thing of all is that, although many of the suspected ones were present or near at hand, nobody interfered or claimed the property. About this time, too, some material out of which to make the counterfeit specie was found in the timber on Pony creek, a little west of where Elijah Dalton now lives. The community was not without its scenes of strife and bloodshed, and even of murder.

Fred Lord had a difficulty with a man in his employ, hauling rock, and as the man claimed, had cheated him out of his wages. The fellow, as Lord was passing along on a load of rock, put a ball through him. Lord had before been supposed to be the means of causing another man - Pat Murphy by name - to be killed. Rumor had it that Lord had got Murphy to go and kill London, but London saw him coming and shot and put a ball through Pat. This occurred in 1850. Lord, it was said, came from Chicago and was of a very respectable family; he was well posted, sharp, cool, and well educated. He handled the violin, flute, and revolver to perfection. Upon being shot, he took down his violin and played for himself while life was ebbing away, which was not long. This was in 1854. No family circle was broken, for though he had married a very fine girl, after coming to Traders Point, on acquaintance, she left him, and when shot, his domestic relations were somewhat irregular. Traders Point has entirely disappeared; it was washed into the river.

Having disposed of Traders Point, let us go back to . . . . . 1850


It was in this year that permanent settlements began in earnest. Claims and claim lines were contended over, clubs and club laws were insisted upon, and the settlers began gradually to drift into contentions and feuds of first a personal and local character, then into clans - and this speedily formed into the two great parties which divided the people - the lines being drawn between the Mormon and the anti-Mormon element - and the parties styled themselves, or were styled by each other, Gentiles and Mormons.

At a place called Platteville, on the bank of the Missouri river, nearly opposite but a little below the mouth of the Platte, a ferry was started in 1850. Samuel Martin and Jacob Rose built and launched a boat there, and there was a trading post there kept by Martin. In the same year the Mormons made a town, a little below, and called it Bethlehem, and this

- 15 -

at once became their principal crossing. This is the place where James O'Neil settled in the fall of 1848.

In 1851, by an act of the legislature, the counties of Union, Adams, Adair, Cass, Montgomery, Mills and Pottawattamie were defined. Approved Jan. 15th, 1851.

During the session of 1846-7 acts were passed defining the boundaries of Ringgold, Taylor, Fremont, and other counties. And also an act providing that all that tract of country on the Missouri river purchased from the Pottawattamie Indians might be temporarily organized into a county, to be called Pottawattamie, whenever in the opinion of the judge of the 4th judicial district the public good should require it. This strip of country was attached to the organized counties east of the various portions of it for political and judicial purposes, but the county of Dallas was the only new county organized that session. Under this it is claimed that Dr. Henry Miller did represent this county of Pottawattamie in the succeeding legislature, and that he was voted for at a precinct called Coonville. It is also stated by some that the people of the territory which is now Mills were taxed by tax gatherers from Kanesville, our big neighbor, and that the returns of an election held in the county now Mills county, in the year 1849, were made to Kanesville, instead of to Monroe county, as the statute contemplated.

It is said also that our peculiar statute on the crime of adultery, which provides that "No prosecution for adultery can be commenced but on the complaint of the husband or wife," owes its origin to the influence of the Mormons of the Pottawattamie.

- 16 -

Mills County Journal
Glenwood, Iowa
July 29, 1876 And by an act approved Feb. 4, 1851, the counties of Ringgold, Taylor, Page, Fremont, Mills, Montgomery, Adams, Union, Adair, Cass, Pottawattamie, Harrison, Shelby, Audubon, Carroll, Crawford, Monona, Wahkan, Sac, Ida, Buena Vista, Cherokee, Plymouth, Sioux, O'Brien, Clay, Dickinson, Osceola, and Buncombe - 29, were created the _th judicial district - a district opened the first Monday in Apr ___, returns to be made to Pottawattamie county. At the same session the judge was given to fix the time and place of holding court in new counties yet unorganized.

Mills county was named in honor of Frederick D. Mills, a native of Connecticut - a young lawyer of fine attainment and brilliant talents. He had resided in Burlington some four years before the Mexican war began. He was appointed a Major of volunteers by James K. Polk, early in the year of ____ and was assigned to duty in the 15th Ohio regiment, commanded by Col. Geo. W. Morgan.

Major Mills was killed at one of the gates of the city of Mexico, on the day of the battle of Churabusco, September 26, 1846. Waiving rank he joined in a volunteer charge, as private under Phil. Kearney, commanding a squadron of Dragoons. Not hearing the ____ that had been sounded, they unfortunately dashed up to the San ____ gate. Of the seven officers of the squadron, Kearney lost his right arm, four other officers were badly wounded, and Major F.D. Mills of the 15th regiment, a volunteer in this charge, was killed at the gate.

In 1851 many more good people settled in Mills county, times were good, the community prosperous, and generally happy. Wild game, deer, turkeys, geese and other large and small game generally continued to be plenty. The country had begun to produce everything needed for substantial living. This year Billy Wolfe brought some fruit trees from Missouri, and set some out for himself, and let Joe Rawles, J.D. Rogers and Wm. E. Dean have some.


It was in the month of August, 185l, that the first election of which we have any record was held. I find records which denote the fact that the West Liberty precinct (Glenwood) had 55 votes; Rawles precinct __; Bethlehem precinct (Plattville) 37; Silver Creek precinct 45; total 168.

At this election Dr. Wm. Smith was elected County Judge; James Hardy, Sheriff, W.W. Noyes, Clerk D.C.

During the day an Indian came in and voted in West Liberty (Glenwood) in the morning. He was voting in the interest of the Mormons - James Mickelwait observed him. In the afternoon Mr. Indian come and offered his vote again! Mickelwait asked him if he had not voted once; he said no; Mickelwait told him he thought he had seen him vote that morning. The Indian gave him the lie and then had all he could do to pick himself up outside of the house, and the ventilation in the room was much better

- 17 -

from that on as there was a large hole in the window in consequence of the absence of sundrie panes of glass.

The names of the persons voting at that election are as follows, to-wit: West Liberty (Glenwood) precinct: Noah N. Abbott, W.W. Noyes, William Gregory, Jacob Anthony, Wm. Bickmore, Gilbert Bickmore, Loring S. Gardner, Aaron Dolph, B. Alcorn, John Sullivan, Simon Dyke, Gabriel Cotton, A. Kidd, David E. Study, Moses J. Gardner, William Kidd, Silas Hillman, R.N. Howell, Alfred Harvey, John Williamson, William Young, Benjamin Lambert, C.P. Liston, Abraham Burger, William Martindale, James L. Thompson, Henry O'Neil, L.M. Farnsworth, David Holeman, L.T. Coons, Joseph W. Coolidge, A.H. Anson, Timothy H. King, Levi Thomas, Moses Martin, John F. Windham, David Study, J.D. Rogers, Samuel Gates, Joseph Browne, Elijah Allen, Hiram O'Neil, Samuel Barnett, James Mickelwait, John F. Liston, Frederick Farney, Willeby Mickelwait, Jonathan Bell, James Hardy, Wm. Clarke, J. Everett, John Buchanan, Jacob Clapper, N.V. Sheffer.

Rawles precinct: James McCord, Joseph M. Shepardson, D.B. Goodwin, Levi Anthony, Levi Troth, G.T. Jones, James Darby, Michael Karns, George Anthony, John Wolf, Asa Darnall, Nicholas Anthony, B.F. Merritt, William Wolfe, John Troth, S.L. Scott, Isaac Troth, L. Raines, Samuel Bickmore, J.D. Karns, Jonas L. Burger, John Ellis, Eli Withrow, Wm. E. Dean.

Silver Creek precinct: Andrew Clark, William C. Mathews, A.W. Sherman, Edmund Fisher, John Dyson, John L. Ballard, John K. McIntyre, William McDaniels, John Halton, Noah Cotten, William Redfield, Clark Stillman, Asa Davis, Anslim Coon, James Worthington, Thomas Traul, William Spencer, David Fry, Edward Miller, Chauncy Whiting, Squire Eggleston, Dexter Stillman, Mathew Ivory, William Steel, Sterling Davis, Harmon J. Chipman, Benjamin McIntyre, Woody Burdinnow, Joseph Fletcher, Jr., Silvester Whitney, Joseph Huff, C.W. Tolles, Levi J. Hull, J.W. Cox, Silvester Fletcher, Pliney Fisher, Silas Green, Wheatley Mickelwaite, R.S. Baldwin, John Anderson, Lewis Whiting, Jackson Burdick, Noah Green, Cary Burdick.

Bethlehem precinct: William Jessup, Christian Clapp, Waldo Tosier, James O'Neil, Jefferson Martin, Isiah Cox, David Moody, James Burchfeel, Russell K. Homer, Johnson Bently, Franklin Killion, Chauncey Williamson, Almond Williams, Ambrose Clark, Frederick Levi, John Todd, John Spidell, Jacob H. Rose, John B. Wilson, Freman Tryan, Henry Clapp, Dan Clark, James Clark, John Crumpton, Moses R. Jackson, Shanderick Richardson, William O'Neil, Jeremiah David, Jason Hawes, Jacob Killion, George Clark, Simson Tosler, Harris Evens, John Jackson, Thomas Moody, John W. Robinson, Elijah Hawes.

In the fall election in 1852, there vote was: Plattville (Bethlehem), 20; Coonville (West Liberty), 60; Council Bluffs, 14; Silver Creek, 16; Rawles, 41; total 151. This decrease was owing to the removal of many of the Mormons, some to adjoining counties, but most of them to Sale Lake.


The first District court of which there is any record, convened at the "Court House protem," at Coonville: Present, James Sloan, Judge; W.W. Noyes, Clerk; James Hardy, Sheriff; on Monday the 20th day of Oct. 1851.

- 18 -

Tuesday morning, October 21st, roll of attorneys: H.D. Johnson, George P. Stiles, L. Lingenfelter, J. Longworthy Sharp, C.P. Brown, A.A. Bradford, Alverado G. Ford, J.A. Kelting.

Of these, L. Lingenfelter alone remains in Iowa, and he is the only attorney still here who was here when I came.

On call of Grand Jury, the following persons answered: Daniel Moody, Joseph Gilbert, Henry O'Neil, Abraham Burger, Nicholas Anthony, Christian Clapper, David Holman, Chauncy Whiting, Joel Edwards, Abram Hendrix, John Wilson, F. Long.

H.D. Johnson was appointed prosecuting attorney pro tem. This being the first court with its grand jury and prosecuting attorney which had ever been assembled in the county, it was natural and inevitable that there should be much feeling and solicitude in regard to its proceedings. This would be the case in any new community. But in consequence of the exciting events and scenes through which the people, the Mormons, had just passed in Illinois, and the feeling that was entertained against them among those who were not Mormons, this solicitude was increased and shared by all, and the fact that James Sloan, a very eccentric character - the presiding judge, was a Mormon, placed on the bench by Mormon votes, added still more to intensify the feeling. But as things as yet had not assumed any definite shape, and Johnson, the prosecutor, was a Gentile, the court at this term continued in session, without anything to interrupt its progress, and tried several causes and found some bills of indictment. But partaking of the feeling of uneasiness that was manifest in every one, adjourned for a few days to breathe, take a look at itself, prepare for the great work before it, and return with renewed strength and faith for the task.

The causes entered of record for this term were as follows:

No. 1 - Samuel Martin vs. George Lord; replevin.

No. 2 - Noah Cotton vs. ______ Anderson, appeal.

No. 3 - R.N. Howell vs. Henry O'Neil; appeal.

No. 4 - State of Iowa vs. R. & M. Keys, larceny. A.C. Ford, Sharp and Stiles, attorneys for defendants. Separate trials. Margaret a witness for Robert. Robert acquitted and discharged.

No. 5 - State of Iowa vs. Lewis Johnson; gaming. Plea of guilty - fine, $5.00. (This is the Johnson who was put into the river and drowned, as is hereafter stated and who killed Creech.)

No. 6 - E. Burchfield vs. J. Burchfield; divorce.

The adjournment was to the first of December, 1851. Whether this court met and actually opened Court at that time - December 1st - is in doubt. We find as the record of this adjourned term, this: "the court 'opened' and for want of a house to hold court in, the county judge not having furnished one, and the sheriff not being able to procure one, and the weather being too inclement to hold court in open air, and the judge's health not being very good, it was ordered to adjourn to a special term on the 2d Monday in May, 1852."

These are all, and each of them, and any one of them, singly and alone, was a good and substantial reason in and of itself for not holding court. The causes of this state of affairs however, are not noted in record. It seems that during the week of previous court, many grievances had been

- 19 -

brought to light which had given rise to fears on one side and threats on the other, and thus had roused the feelings of the community generally to such an extent that the holding of a court in a proper spirit was next to impossible. On the part of the Gentiles, or anti-Mormons, it was claimed that it was the purpose of the court and Mormon element to persecute them, and that no justice could be expected for them. They were not as candid as the Irishman who confessed to the court on being assured that justice should be done him that "justice yer honor is all I am afraid of."

It is not perhaps impossible to give the exact manner in which it was done, or to name the men who did it, nor perhaps would it be desirable if it could be done, but it is certain that the judge was defied and notified that he should not hold court and that the numbers and strength of the force who issued the order to him, were of such a character that he deemed it the better part of valor to submit, and so he retired by simply appointing a time and place for another court.

Many amusing anecdotes are related of this eccentric character, Judge Sloan.

With this he disappeared and never again was heard of in Mills County in the capacity of judge.

There is no record of any court held in Mills county on the 2d Monday of May. The next entry is a vacation entry of June 26, 1852.

An application to Achilles Rodgers, clerk, of James and George Mickelwait, alien subjects of the British government, and declarations of intentions to become citizens of the United States by taking the oath prescribed.

The next entry is of a term as follows: "July 12, 1852, a regular term of the district court was begun. A.A. Bradford, Judge; A. Rodgers, Clerk; James Hardy, Sheriff; J.L. Sharp, prosecuting attorney."

Bradford holding under a commission from the Governor of Iowa - Stephen Hempstead, under date of May 4, 1852. George Hepner enrolled as attorney.

Among others the following causes are found:

James B. McCabe vs. H.P. Bennett; appeal.

McCabe & Painter vs. H.P. Bennett; appeal.

H.P. Bennett vs. Jas. B. McCabe; attachment.

H.P. Bennett was enrolled as an attorney. Bennett had married McCabe's daughter, and hence this litigation.

In March, 1853 - the next term:

The judge was A.A. Bradford; sheriff, William Davis; clerk, Wm. A. Scott.

The first marriage of which there is any official record entry to be found, is as follows: "Jason Haws and Sariel Hillman. Was married by Joseph W. Coolidge, minister of the Gospel on the 7th day of September, A.D. 1851. Found on file Nov. 17, 1852. -- Wm. A. Scott, C.C. Ct., Mills Co. -- By J.S. Scott, deputy."

The first entry in the probate record is: "County court, July term, A.D. 1852, J.L. Sharp, prosecuting attorney and acting judge. Application of Sarah Francis Kimberling, an orphan, under the age of 14 years, for the appointment of guardian." Azor Richardson appointed. Bond $3,000; Wm. Snuffin and J.A. Painter, bondsmen.

Next county judge, H.P. Bennett, August term, 1852.


                                       back to Mills County Home