|Marshall County, Iowa|
FROM ALBION: Head north on IA-330 N/North Main St. Turn left onto 160th
St. Turn right onto Langford Ave. Turn left onto 155th St., and cemetery
will be on your left.
DIRECTIONS FROM ALBION: Head north on IA-330 N/North Main St. Turn left onto 160th St. Turn right onto Langford Ave. Turn left onto 155th St., and cemetery will be on your left.
STONE PLACEMENT MAP OF CEMETERY (this will open in a new tab in your internet browser)
This is the oldest cemetery in Marshall County. The original owner was Sheldon Gaer, and now owned by Mike and Shelly Walton. The Original cemetery plat was down by the North road (155th Street) and was moved to the Center of the field. Deed does not show date when moved. This cemetery was so hidden with growth as to cover all traces of the cemetery and many stones were broken, missing & buried under the dirt. The cemetery has now been restored; stones repaired, buried ones have been dug up, cleaned and placed with the other stones. It stands proudly like it should for these pioneer folks. Some stones are missing as people took the stones several years ago before the present owner bought the property.
The first burial was John Ballard. The last burial was that of James Hamblin on 29 Nov 1897.
Note: Daniel Marling death date has never been confirmed. This was before Marshall County was settled. Was reported in the 1875 Iowa Andreas Atlas there was a body of a Mormon Pilgrim who spent the winter of 1844 – 45 in the area.
The stones in this cemetery were copied in June 1971 & 1976 by Barbra Price & Shirley Price. (Not related). Located on property originally owned by Sheldon Gaer, He deeded the property to a G.S. Miller in 1871. This land then was deeded to John & Sarah Denbow who sold it to the Trustees of Iowa Township, Marshall County, Iowa for $6.00 on July 8. 1884. The property around this cemetery has been bought & sold many times.
A newspaper article in Times Republican, Marshalltown August 10 1985 said the property had been in the Poling Family for more then 92 yrs. Poling’s restored the cemetery and put a fence around it. The cemetery has been deserted and uncared for many of years. Storms have destroyed the trees which had fallen on the stones and broken then so many were just pieces. Several owners have tried to restore it as Iowa Township had no money for this cemetery.
On 05 Nov 2005 Merrill & Shirley Price, cut the 10’ weeds. Cleaned & repaired stones under the directions of Bob Terry “Terry’s Cemetery Restoration & Repairs” of Liscomb Iowa.
Mike Walton owner of the property dug out the buried stones and leveled the ground, reseeded the grass. Stones were set in place and a flag pole & flag was placed at cemetery. The site was the Spinning Wheel Chapter D.A.R. Regent’s (Shirley Price) project and was completed in Sept 30, 2006.
Mike & Shelly Walton (owner of the property) mow & maintain the cemetery and fly the flag on Special days.
Typed by Merrill J. Price on September 30, 2009
|(c) Copyright 2007 by Jennie Williams Pahls. Last updated on April 20, 2014.|