to the time of the Revolutionary war, practically all the people
of the United States
were living east of the Allegheny Mountains
in the thirteen original colonies.
There was very little emigration to the west of the
Alleghenies until after the close of the war but then it
flourished. By the
turn of the century there was quite a wave of immigration into Tennessee,
and Ohio, Indiana
and Illinois, until by 1818 all five of them had sufficient population to be
admitted as states. Iowa
had scarcely been thought of and as yet belonged to the Indians.
It was not until after the Black Hawk war, 1832-33, that
the first settler crossed the Mississippi and settled along its western shore.
The first Iowa
settlers came from across the river, from Illinois, Indiana
and Ohio and the eastern states. Some
came by steamers down the Ohio River and up the Mississippi River
and then scattered along the western bank of the Mississippi, some
stopping at Keokuk, and others at Burlington, Davenport, Clinton
and Dubuque. Others
came west across the country in prairie schooners, and they were
ferried across at these various places.
Clayton was among the first Iowa counties to be settled, having over 1700 citizens in the 1840
census. Hence by the time that Madison County
was open for settlers, late in the fall of 1845, Clayton County was pretty well settled for that day.
first settlers in Madison County
were from Missouri, coming in the spring of 1846.
Hirum Hurst was the first, rumored to be a fugitive from an
arson charge in his home state of Missouri. He came alone and later went back to
Missouri to collect his family and belongings. The Clanton contingent
settled near where St. Charles now stands. The Guye
family settled in Union Township. Later in the summer
there came also from northwestern Missouri John Evans, Lemuel
Thornbrugh, John Butler, William Butler, Irwin Baum, Martin Baum,
Jacob Combs, William Combs, John Beedle, Philip M. Boyles and
following year there came David Bishop and the Whiteds, who
settled south of Middle River
on what was afterwards known as Hoosier Prairie.
These were from Indiana
and started a colony of Hoosiers, made by the addition of the
Henkels, the Runkles, Queens, Debords and others.
– Sturmans, Lulls and Phillipses came from Coshocton County, Ohio. Later in the ‘50s
there was a large colony settled in Ohio Township, from which the township took its name.
However, people from Ohio
settled in various parts of Madison County; the Irish settlement in Lee and Crawford townships; the German
settlement in Jefferson Township; the Quakers about Earlham; the Ohio
– Swiss – German settlement in Penn Township
and the Kentucky settlement in South and Scott townships.
will be noticed that all the settlements already mentioned came
from outside the State of Iowa, while the Clayton County
settlers came from within the State of Iowa. Up to the time of
the Civil war and later there were many no doubt who had first
settled in some other part of Iowa and later moved to Madison
County, but there is no single county that ever sent such an
immigration as Clayton, and one that has made such an impression
upon the people. This wave began about 1864 and lasted until 1873.
The cause of this emigration was to find cheaper lands, as the
land from where they came had increased in value and they were
also seeking a more moderate climate.
C. Goodale, one of the best known men in Madison County
thirty years ago, had the following to say: "The first
settler from Clayton County
was John Wragg, who in the year 1863 settled in Grand River Township, but only stayed there about a year, when he removed to
Dallas County, where he remained until he died.
pioneer of the Clayton County wave, however, was Daniel Hazen,
who, having sold his farm in 1863 in Clayton County, and desiring
a more moderate climate where the winters were not so severe,
shortly afterward made a trip through the southern and
southwestern part of the state, and becoming attracted by the
fertility of the soil in Jefferson Township, purchased land there
in 1864. In 1865 he moved there and was shortly afterward followed
by three of his brothers, Emerous and Rufus Hazen, who settled in Jefferson
Township, and Emerson Hazen, who settled in Lee Township. With Rufus Hazen came Miss Lucinda Parks, who shortly afterwards
married Henry Gutshall, a resident of Jefferson Township, and there they still reside.
August, 1865, Charles C. Goodale, an acquaintance of the Hazens,
came to Jefferson Township and worked for Daniel Hazen, and during
the winter taught school in the Jefferson schoolhouse in that
district. During the winter he purchased a tract of land in Lee Township, where he afterwards resided until the fall of 1873, when he
moved to Winterset, having been elected county auditor. John
Stevenson settled in Lee Township
in 1867 and remained there several years, after which he removed
was the favored township for the people from Clayton County, owing to the character of the soil, which resembled that of
Clayton County, and also to the smooth undulating surface in the northern part
where most of them settled. In 1866 those who came to Jefferson
Township were Malcolm McBride, William C. Hazen, Gustavus Hazen, John
Kelley, Mrs. Estey, George and John Brooker and John Hartenbower.
1867 those who came were William Brewster, Leonidas Renshaw, Lewis
Ballou, Enoch Allen, Frank Trunkey, Elliott Cook, Jonathan Smith,
John Hutchins, Alfred Pierce, Almon Wright, John Wright, Dewitt C.
Wright, Hardy Lockwood, Gudliffe Brooker, Frederick Brooker,
Timothy Killam, and John Smith. All these settled in Jefferson Township. Afterwards and prior to 1870 those who settled in this township
from Clayton County were Merrill A. Knight, Alexander Miller,
Sylvester Renshaw, Silas Angier, William Kelley, Gearhardt Storck,
John Westphal, Herman Marquardt, Ferdinand Marquardt, Mr.
Steinhouse, Merrill Carty, Harriet Hazen, George Allen and William
1868 Anson M. Peters settled in Madison Township and soon after George Storck settled there. About the same time
Simeon Alger settled in Penn Township
and Thomas Adams and William Shennan settled in Jackson Township.
the period from 1865 to 1870 Dr. Evan Linton, Mrs. Linton,
Harrison, Hettie and Emily Linton, Emily Adams and Charles Henry
Lancaster came from Clayton County and settled in Winterset.
the foregoing settlers, John Hartenbower and John Smith were
afterwards elected as representatives; Merrill A. Knight, county
treasurer; George Storck, county supervisor; Dewitt C. Wright,
clerk of the district court; and Charles C. Goodale, county
the list mentioned it will be noted that many have moved away and
others have passed to a better land. However, many of their
descendants are living within the county, some occupying the homes
where their parents first settled.
Clayton County settlers were an honest, sober, industrious class of citizens and
were progressive farmers. They became identified with Madison County's best farmers and having settled in the north part of the
county, they made a wise choice in the selection of farms and soon
became well-to-do and prosperous. John Wragg, who settled in Grand
River in 1863, went to Dallas County the following year and
founded the Wragg Nursery, which is now known all over the state.
— Emerson Hazen came here in
1865 and owned 320 acres of land in section 16. He died several
years ago. Part of the farm is still owned by a son and daughter.
John Stevenson came in 1867 and owned a farm on section 5, which
is now occupied by William Shambaugh. Mr. Stevenson moved to Colorado
many years ago. Solomon
H. Bronson arrived in 1868 and for a time lived on section 19. He
soon afterward began buying and shipping hogs, making his
residence at De Soto, Booneville and Commerce. He died a few years ago at the latter
— Enoch Allen in 1867 bought
640 acres of land on sections 11, 12, 13 and 14, which he sold to
Anson M. Peters, who came in 1868. Mr. Peters owned one of the
best farms in Madison Township. Several years ago he moved to California, first disposing of his land. It is owned at present by Henry
Thomsen and others. George Storck, the first of the Germans, came
in 1868 and bought 160 acres on which he still lives. He owns in
all 440 acres.
— Simeon Alger settled at Penn Center, in Perm Township, in 1868, and there passed away. He was the father of Mrs. L.
Renshaw, Mrs. Merrill Carty and Mrs. Rev. William Mercer.
— Thomas Adams and William
Sherman settled here in 1868. Clark Sherman owned land in sections
4 and 9 from 1876 until 1901.
— Daniel Hazen bought his farm
in section 27 in 1864 and moved thereon in 1865. He later owned
320 acres. About 1883, on account of ill health, he and his family
went to Florida and there his wife died. He and his sons returned to
Madison County. He died a number of years ago. His son Bert now lives in
and Carl lives in Oregon. Emerous Hazen bought land on section 3 in 1865, where his son
Frank still resides. Rufus Hazen settled on section 14 in 1865,
near Pleasant Grove Church. He moved to
Union County many years ago and some of his children still reside there. He is
C. Goodale came in 1865. He worked for Daniel Hazen and also
taught school. He later lived on a farm in Lee Township. In 1873 he was elected county auditor, holding the position
three terms. In 1887 he moved with his family to Lamar, Colorado. For four years he was surveyor general of
and made his home in Denver. He is now practicing law at Lamar, where he has property
Allen, who came in 1865, was a brother of Mrs. Emerous Hazen. Mrs.
Henry Gutshall, who was formerly Miss Lucinda Parks and came here
in 1865, lives on the old homestead on section 2.
Brooker, who came in 1866, married a Miss Killam. He owned the
northeast quarter of section 22. He died about 1885. His children
were. Clinton and Elmer E. of Des Moines, Orva of South Dakota, Ernest of
Township and Mrs. Williams. John Brooker, who came in 1866,
settled on section 16, Jefferson Township. He died in Winterset
in 1904. He married Mary Hubbard and their children are Ernest,
William, and Mrs. Lou Imes, Mrs. Trindle, Mrs. Coe and Clara.
Malcolm McBride, who came in 1866, settled on section 22. He died
about 1894. He married a Miss Hazen, who died many years ago.
Their children were Lawrence William of New Mexico, Mrs. Hettie
Baur, Mrs. Nellie Alexander and Carrie.
Kelley, who came in 1866, married a Miss Estey and they had
several children. Mrs. Estey, who came the same year, died many
years ago. Besides her daughter, Mrs. Kelley, her children were
Oren, Benjamin and Mrs. Kopp. Gustavus Hazen at one time owned
Reigle Mill. John Hartenbower owned 160 acres of land on section
25. He was elected representative in 1870. He later went to Kansas
where he was elected to the same office. He died a few years ago.
Cook owned 320 acres of land on section 24.
Francis Trunkey owned land on section 13. He moved to Van Meter,
Iowa, and died there several years ago. Gudliffe Brooker lived on
section 20. He became
very prominent in Sunday school work and was president of the
county Sunday school association for twenty years or more. He sold his farm and died in
Earlham in March, 1907. Frederick Brooker lived but a short time
in Jefferson Township, when he moved to Missouri and there died.
Brewster owned land on section 21. He eventually returned to his
old home in Connecticut and died there several years ago. Lewis Ballou owned 240 acres of
land on section 17. He eventually moved to Pasadena, California. Leonidas Renshaw owned a farm on section 21. He sold his land
several years ago and moved to Indianola and later to Canada. He married a Miss Alger. John Hutchins owned the northwest
quarter of section 16. He
died several years ago. Some
of his children resided in Colorado and a son. Dr. Arthur C. lives in
Des Moines. His daughters are Mrs. Frank Howell and Mrs. Alvin Williams.
Wright owned the Procknow farm. He moved to Storm Lake. Alfred Pierce, who lived on section 12, married a Miss Wright.
Almon Wright lived on section 12. D. C. Wright was elected clerk
of the district court in 1893. He later moved to North Dakota. Timothy Killam first located in Winterset and later in
Jefferson Township. He was the father of Mrs. Gudliffe and Mrs. George Brooker,
James Monroe Killam of Truro, Timothy Ingram of St. Charles, Clinton Dewitt of Sioux City and George of Denver.
Smith, who owned land on section 14, moved to Van Meter and died
there a few years ago. John J. Smith lived on section 10, and was
elected representative in 1875.
Angier moved from the county to Dakota and later moved to Indianola,
Iowa. Adam Geizelman lived on the Renshaw farm. All the above named
came in 1867 to Jefferson Township.
Cook, who came in 1868, owned eighty acres on section 14. His
children were Elliott, Frank and George. He died in 1885.
Knight, who came the same year, owned 160 acres on sections 7 and
8. He was elected county treasurer in 1875 and served two terms.
He conducted a hotel in Winterset for a time and later
lived on a farm in Jackson Township, where he passed away. He
had three sons and three daughters.
Renshaw came in 1868 and settled on section 21, Jefferson Township. He married a Miss Hazen and moved to Earlham. Alexander Miller
settled on the southwest quarter of section 9, Jefferson Township.
Storck came in 1870 and located on sections 9 and 10. He married a
Miss Marquardt and reared a large family and died. Ferdinand
Marquardt came in 1870 and located on section 3.
Buske, who came to the county in 1871, lived on section 8. He
later moved to Des Moines.
Bernau came in 1872 and settled on section 7. He died in 1885.
John H. Bernau, also deceased, lived on section 14. Another son
William lived on the homestead. The daughters were Mrs. R. Kneuper
and Mrs. Henrietta Wishmire. Charles and Merrill Carty, who came
in 1872, were then aged eleven and thirteen years respectively.
Zieman and wife came in 1873 and located on sections 21 and 28.
Carl Marquardt and wife also came in 1873. They were the parents
of Mrs. Gerhardt and Mrs. George Storck, Mrs. William H. Burger
and Ferdinand and Herman Marquardt. Frederick Roggeman came in
1873 and settled on section 8. He sold to Louis Niendorf.
Westphal came here in 1874 and settled on sections 3 and 4. He
died in 1884. His widow afterward moved to Des Moines. His son Herman lives in
Jefferson Township. Frederick H. Myers came in 1874 and located on 320 acres on
by Judy Wight Branson
by Kent Transier