period having been conducted in
the schoolhouse one mile north of the present church building.
Among the organizing members may be mentioned George Storck,
F. Dallman, L. Vaudt, C. Radke, Mrs. John Westphal, Carl
Marquardt, R. Kneuper, John Lienemann, H. E. Marquardt, Charles
Wishmyer, August Ziemann, B. P. Lienemann, F. Marquardt and
Rev. E. A. Brauer is the present minister.
"The History of Madison County & Its People," Herman
by Judy Wight Branson
LUTHERAN CHURCH - A 2ND HISTORY
In 1870 a number of Lutherans from Clayton County, Iowa, settled
in the northern part of Madison County. Pastor Mertens, a pioneer missionary of our state, met with them
and held the first Lutheran service in this area in Booneville on
February 5, 1872. He continued to come as often as possible during
the next few years. At first he met with the small group in
private homes, generally in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Gerhard
Storck. Later, the group met regularly in the Storck schoolhouse
in Jefferson Township.
In 1875 the
Rev. J. Horn was installed as pastor of the Lutheran congregation
in Dexter. He also served the preaching station in Jefferson
On May 14, 1885, Trinity Evangelical
Church, Jefferson Township, was organized. In its constitution the congregation acknowledged
all the books of Scripture as the inspired Word of God and
subscribed to the confessional writings of the Lutheran Church
as contained in the Book of Concord.
The newly organized congregation dedicated its first church, a
28x42x16 frame building with a 65-foot steeple equipped with a
700-pound bell, on November 29, 1885, on a four-acre plot donated
by Mr. and Mrs. Gerhard Storck, four miles south of Van Meter in
In 1889 the
congregation became a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of
Missouri, Ohio and Other States, now known as The Lutheran Church Missouri Synod.
The congregation was served by pastors of Zion Lutheran
Church, Dexter, until 1904 when the Rev. C. Jobst became the first
pastor of Trinity Congregation.
A parsonage was
built to provide a home for the new pastor. On February 20, 1928,
this building was destroyed by fire. A new parsonage was built
immediately and was dedicated in September of the same year.
Less than a
month later, on Sunday, September 30, the church also was
destroyed by fire. These two fires in one year were a severe blow
to the congregation. However, plans for the building of another
church were made immediately. The construction of a tile-veneer
church, 30x68, with full basement was begun before the end of the
year, and with Godís blessing it was possible to dedicate the
new church on the second Sunday after Easter in 1929.
Because of faulty construction, this structure was rebuilt almost
in its entirety with the work beginning in 1950. A new church,
veneered with red brick with over-all dimensions of 30x94, was
dedicated on February 4, 1951. An addition to this building,
including a spacious entryway on the main floor, was dedicated in
Pastors succeeding the Rev. C. Jobst were E. A. Brauer, H. W.
Schreiber, C. Lillie, C. G. Meyer, E. V. G. Holstein and Edwin A.
by Kent Transier