in the early part of the year 1858, Rev. Archibald H. Murphy, a
circuit rider, held a revival meeting at St. Charles, in the new
home of William Bradshaw, now owned by Mrs. Lura Sayre, and
occupied by the Coffman family. This was the beginning of the St.
Charles Class, with D. Simpson Smith as its first class leader,
serving until he removed to Norwalk, Iowa, in 1868.
At the Conference held in Fairfield, Iowa, September, 1858, St.
Charles was put in the New Virginia circuit, with Rev. John W.
Anderson, as the first pastor. It was in the New Virginia circuit
until 1868, when it was placed in t he Winterset Circuit,
remaining about two years, when it was placed into a circuit of
its own. Until 1860 or 61, services were held in the homes of the
1861, the class purchased the store building where the blacksmith
shop now stands, and converted it into a church building.
This served as a place of worship until a new church was built in
1874, now owned and used by the St, Charles Park Association. The
former building was sold to the Presbyterian congregation. In
1905, under the leadership of Rev. M. J. Rarick, the present
building was erected, which was dedicated February 11, 1906. The
present membership is now about 400.
St. Charles Methodist Episcopal Church