|LOUISA COUNTY, IOWA|
The Republican Centennial Edition, Wapello, Louisa County, Iowa
Thursday, July 12, 1956, Section Three, Page 44
Transcribed by Shirley Plumb, June 30, 2019
THE WESTERN AUTO SUPPLY STORE
Back in February of 1948, a fine young couple came to Wapello from Burlington, Ia. They were Lester and Laurel Barrick who are so well known today as the owner and operators of the Western Auto Supply Store here in Wapello. They have made many friends throughout the entire area by their accommodating ways and friendly treatment. They always have the time for each customer.
The Barricks purchased the stock from the Gamble store which was operated by Pete Gaylor and was located where Kathrynís Dress Shop is today.
Next in line was a building of their own, so they purchased the brick building where they are located today This was also owned by Pete Gaylor, as he had intended moving the Gamble Store to this location if he had remained here in Wapello.
The building was known as the Thomas Building and was the location of the Wapello post office before it moved across the street to the Otto building where it is today.
The ambition of Lester and Laurel was put to a great test when they worked day and night in their new building, but with the assistance of their many friends it showed results and was finished, completely remodeled and with new fixtures, within thirty days and the new Western Auto Supply Store had their formal opening on March 20, 1948.
Business was good and in 1949, they added a 24 by 30 addition to the original building for the much needed extra space. Lester and Laurel were rewarded in other ways than that of monetary value and that was in being blessed with a son, David, 10 years of age.