|LOUISA COUNTY, IOWA|
The Republican Centennial Edition, Wapello, Louisa County, Iowa
Thursday, July 12, 1956, Section One, Page 12
Transcribed by Shirley Plumb, June 29, 2019
DURBINS PLAN 1956 EXPANSION
Will Hatch 150,000 Chicks in 1957
In 1937 Mr. and Mrs. Ray Durbin moved to Wapello to open the Durbin Hatchery. Since that time over a million chicks have been hatched and sold through his progress hatchery.
Before locating here, Mr. and Mrs. Durbin operated a hatchery in Oakville for four years. Business expanded so greatly, they needed larger headquarters, and moved to Wapello, where they purchased the former Wagg Battery building.
Durbin has worked with poultry all his life, being a government poultry inspector in western states for many years. At present he is a licensed APA poultry judge, and can judge anywhere in the world.
This summer he has some ten shows, including the Iowa State Fair, to judge. He is a graduate of Hilltop laboratories has won many trophies for standard and fancy poultry.
The building was remodeled into an efficient hatchery, and is known as one of the cleanest hatcheries in the Midwest.
The Durbinís purchased the Mediapolis Feed and Supply building in 1954. In 1955 they became an associate Honeggeer Hatchery. This expansion made necessary the replacement of incubators. They will double their present capacity, putting out 150,000 chicks in 1957.
Mr. and Mrs. Durbin have two children, Ronnie, 15, and Ruth Ann, 11.
Feed salesman for the firm is Fred Woodruff.
They offer Honeggeer chicks, feed and equipment, and Hilltop poultry remedies.