|LOUISA COUNTY, IOWA|
The Wapello Republican
June 18, 1981, Section B, Page 19
Transcribed by Shirley Plumb, July 14, 2018
THE BUSINESS COMMUNITY OF 1899 GRIMM BROS.
The above gentlemen started up in the livery business here last fall in the Hurley barn and they have been doing their share of the business in that line since then. The barn is centrally located and the livery stock and equipment is first class in every particular. They aim to please all their patrons by furnishing good turnouts at the most reasonable rates, and we hear of no complaint in that respect. They run a feed barn in connection where the best of attention is always given. This barn pays particular attention to the trade of commercial men and has gained a reputation for quick drives. John G. Grimm, the senior member of the firm, is also engaged in the stock buying business with W. J. Kelly.
The fair grounds of the Louisa County Agricultural Society are located in the suburbs of Wapello and meetings are held annually. The grounds are large and the buildings are sufficient for all purposes. The track, which is a half mile one, is considered by horsemen to be as good as any in the state. Last year’s meeting was very successful and this year’s promises to be as good or better. The dates are August 15, 16, 17 and 18. If you want any information about this year’s meeting write to the secretary, John G. Keck.
MILLER CANNING FACTORY
The above is one of Wapello’s growing business industries and since it was established in 1895 has made a gradual increase in volume of output each year. Ed. Miller, son of the late Jonas Miller, is the proprietor, and he is perfectly familiar with all branches of the business. The principal product of this factory is tomatoes, though last year Mr. Miller put up some corn, plumbs, blackberries, gooseberries, and sweet potatoes. He merely canned the fruit as an experiment, but may eventually work into that branch of the business on a larger scale. During the past Mr. Miller has canned only the product of his own raising, which amounted to about fourteen acres last year, but this year he expects to do business on a much larger scale, and will can both corn and tomatoes. Mr. Miller is a deserving young man and he is endowed with the necessary push and energy to succeed in anything he undertakes. His product is as good as the best and finds ready sale.
W. E. Edwards
Conducts a manufacturing plant that has done as much to advertise Wapello in a business way as any other institution in it. He manufactures the celebrated “Wapello” wagon that has been sold all over this section of Iowa. He is also patentee and manufacturer of the famous “Dewey” scoop board which has gained a wide reputation and general sale throughout the country. It is a very useful thing on …
David Gillette Is the “village blacksmith” and he has been in the business longer than any other man in town. His residence in Wapello dates back fifty-three years, and he is probably as well-known as any man in Wapello. He is a good workman and has employment sufficient to keep him busy all the time.
Picture: Gus Tiemeyer
This gentleman conducts one of the most popular restaurants and bakeries to be found in Louisa County. He has had several years’ experience in the business and knows just how to please the public. He started upon the north east corner of Second and Van Buren streets in 1896 and his business has increased every year since. He carries a complete line of confectionary nuts, fruits and canned goods. His stock of cigars and tobacco is especially large and comprises the very best brands made. The bakery department is a leading feature of the house and John Davis is the baker in charge. Besides turning out a fine quality of bread, their pies, cookies and cakes are of the most tempting kind, and are quite generally used by the town people. A model lunch counter is also a leading feature of this place and meals are served at all hours on the short order plan. Socially Mr. Tiemeyer is one of the most pleasant men, and he has considerable ability in the musical line. He has engineered several very successful local minstrel performances since his residence here and he has made good “hits” in each case.
Jap Shipton conducts a boarding and eating house in the rooms over McCray’s music store and Kline’s barber shop, and he has been doing a land office business since he started up last fall. “Uncle Jap.” As he is familiarly called, is a popular landlord at all times, and he knows how to run a house of that kind that will please his guests. Mrs. Shipton is also one of the best of landladies, and she is capable of preparing the food that is served in the most tempting manner. In other words she is a good cook. The REPUBLICAN is pleased to see them getting along so nicely and hopes they may continue to prosper.
GEO. K. BELL
He operates a feed mill established some years ago by the late Thos. S. Bell. Where all kinds of feed grinding is done and buckwheat flour, graham flour, and a fine quality of corn meal is manufactured. Mr. Bell came here from Davenport and took charge of this business at the death of Thos. Bell last summer. The mill is equipped with all necessary machinery and Mr. Bell understands how to operate it to obtain the best quality of products. He was born in Wapello and is well and favorably known by most of our older residents.
MUSCATINE NORTH & SOUTH RAILWAY
Until last year Wapello had but one railroad passing through it, but now we have a line connecting with the Iowa Central at Elrick Junction and running to Muscatine. The Tennis Construction Company of Philadelphia had the contract for the construction of the road, which was completed and a regular train service inaugurated the 20th of last January. Two trains are now run each way daily and the officers of the road say that a third one will be put on in a short time. All though trains have not been running any great length of time, the service is all that would be expected and the management is doing its best to improve the same. This road has been has been big thing for Wapello in a business way, and during its construction last year a good many, out thousand dollars with our teamsters, laboring men and merchants. Most of the work that could be done by our mechanics and laborers, was given to them. W.S. Isett built the depot at this place.. Grandview and Fruitland, besides during a great deal of other work for them in the carpenter line. F.R. Sillick and J. H. Jamison ad the contract of building the fences along the line, and Hayden & Bettler furnished the barbed wire. The piling used on the line, and many of the ties and fence posts were furnished by local contractors. There was so much at this work done that one cannot estimate the amount of money that was left with our people. The business men of Wapello had long wished for another line of railroad, not because they didn’t like the B. C. R. & N., but because it would furnish better shipping facilities. Now that their wish had been gratified, everything has taken on a new impetus and all feel that the new road will help Wapello’s commercial interests. The general offices of the road are located at Muscatine and the men who are managing the line are wide awake and progressive. T. J. O’Donnell is agent for the company in Wapello. He is an old railroad man, and though he has been a resident of this city but a short time he has made many friends by his polite manners and accommodating ways. This line puts Wapello in direct communication with Peoria via the Iowa Central thus more directly opening up to our shippers the best grain and stock market in the west.
J. B. McCULLOUGH
While the above gentleman is not now actively engaged in business, yet he has so recently retired that we don’t feel justified in closing our write up of Wapello businessmen without making mentioned of his honorable business career. For eighteen years he conducted a lumber yard near the river bridge, and no Wapello business man ever laid aside the cares of active business life with a better record than he has made. Valuing his reputation above everything else, he made it a practice to conduct his business on such lines that his patrons would have no cause for complaint. Fair dealing and liberality have characterized his business throughout. He retires with the best wishes of a host of friends and old customers. Mr. McCullough’s true worth has often been recognized in a public way, and he is at present a member of the board of education which office he has filled for a number of years.
H. C. DRUSE
Photo: H. C. Druse
Is H. C. Druse, Wapello’s only photographer and he is getting plenty of work to do. His studio is located in the rear rooms over Freeland’s grocery store and many specimens of his fine workmanship are hung about the walls. There are several classes of photographers, but Mr. Druse is in the front rank. As a proof of this we will state that many of the cuts displayed in this edition were made from photographs taken by Mr. Druse. It takes a good photograph to get a good cut, and that accounts for the many fine cuts in this edition. Mr. Druse has had several years’ experience in the business and he is constantly making improvements and studying the desires of his patrons, always striving for the highest excellence in his work. Most of his life has been spent in Wapello, and he is held in the highest esteem.
TUSTISON & GRIMES
Pictures: W. S. Grimes & F. Tustison
One of the best known and oldest firms in the practice of medicine and surgery in Louisa County at the present time is that of Drs. F. Tustison and W. S. Grimes. The partnership which has continued so pleasantly, was formed June 9, 1874. The above firm has always had a most successful practice and their services have been sought for by the sick and maimed from all sections of the county. They have rode over these prairies and bottoms so many times, that they know almost every inch of the ground, so to speak. For many years they were the only physicians in Wapello. They have grown gray in ministering to the wants of the sick, but they have in so doing earned a reputation that is imperishable. They are both well read in medicine and surgery. They have a fine library and keep up-to-date in everything that pertains to their profession. Their office is located over Plitt’s drugstore, occupying the entire length of the building. It is fitted up nicely, divided into four compart-office and reception room, two consultation rooms and operating room. Mr. Tustison began practicing medicine in Ainsworth, Iowa, and graduated from the Keokuk Medical College in 1864. He moved to Wapello in 1871 and practiced alone until the present partnership was formed in ’74. Mr. Grimes came to Wapello on July 23, 1867, and he says the reason he can remember the date so well is that he rode from Burlington in a stage coach and was as sick as he could be. He taught school in this neighborhood several years and graduated from Rush Medical College at Chicago, in 1874.
Both of the above gentlemen are wide awake, public spirited men, and Mr. Grimes has filled the office of president of the Wapello board of education for a number of years.
Wapello is especially favored in being a splendid class of skilled tradesmen in all that the term includes, and we doubt if there is another town the size of Wapello in the whole county that can show a better one. They have all served full apprenticeships in their respective lines, and besides making intelligent study of their trade have had many years of practical experience.
CARPENTERS AND BUILDERS
In the carpentering line we have the following gentleman: N. E. Stephens, J. A. Leamon, E. F. Gore, Oscar Sellers, L. C. WonneII, W. S. Isett, S. B. Stone, D.L. Sweeney, Geo. Stone, G.D. Ruble, Wm. Archibald, H. O. Pease, W. W. Emery, John Vanhorn, Rudolph Fotsch, R, M. Archibald, Aner Nearhood, Wm. Vanhorn and Fred Davis. J. L. Sweeney and S. Clitten been prominent workmen in their day but they have now retired.
PAINTERS AND PAPER HANGERS
In the above lie we have these excellent workmen: J. D. Hicklin, F. R. Allen, E. L. Taylor and son, Ted, C. L. Taylor, Frank Christie, N. F. Jackson and son, Bon, H. D. Keller and P. 5Harry Clearer.