Montrose Twp. Road dividing Sec. 7,8, and 17,18. A post office from
1840 to 1857
West Point Twp. Sec. 12. The name of a railroad station, it was later
changed to Edwards.
Montrose Twp. Sec. 36. Also known as Ballenger's Siding and Ballenger's
Switch. Settlement of cabins along the bank of the Mississippi River.
In the 1870's timber and tin shacks were the homes of approximately 500
men who worked on the construction of the canal to bypass the rapids on
the Mississippi River.
Van Buren Twp. Sec. 2
Washington Twp. Sec. 7. A Railroad Station.
Cedar Twp. At common corners of Sec 19,20,29 and 30. Post Office
Montrose Twp. Sec. A community of summer homes overlooking the
Jefferson Twp. Sec 11
Des Moines Twp. Sec. 20. The name of the post office of Vincennes from
1852 to 1858 at the village and railway station of Sand Prairie.
Cedar Twp. Sec. 12. A post office from 1869-1875 when it was changed to
White Lane. Post office was discontinued in 1876.
Marion Twp. Sec. 29. A post office from 1857-1863, and again from
Des MoinesTwp. Sec. 1 Connables took over the railway station after the
tracks were moved. Therefore the name. Had previouly been Melrose.
Cedar Twp. Sec 10.
Cedar Twp. Sec. 25. The name of the post office for a few months in
1881, change to Hamill and at present Mt Hamil
Van Buren Twp
Cedar Twp. Sec. 15. Another name for Russelville.
Franklin Twp. Sec. 8. Was formally Tuscarora, a post office was formed
there in 1840, by 1853 the name was changed.
Franklin Twp. Sec 23 and 26. Town was laid out in 1840 and was intended
for the county seat. Its post office, Franklin Center, was from 1843 to
1883 when it was changed to Franklin. It then ran until 1920.
Montrose Twp. Sec. 24. First school in Iowa here.
Green Bay Twp. Sec. 9. A post office for a few months in 1851 and again
from 1854 to 1859.
Washington Twp. Sec. 17. A railway station.
Des Moines Twp. Sec. 24.
Jefferson Twp. Sec. 16. A village on the railway. It was laid out in
1867, but failed to build up due to its close proximity to Viele. The
post office established before the village was platted, ran from 1856
with the exception of two short intermissions, until 1876.
Green Bay Twp
Parts of Franklin and Madison Twp. Sec
Twp. Sec. Madison Twp. In 1836 the town now known as Ft. Madison was
Marion Twp. Sec. 25. A village and railroad station.
Des Moines Twp. Sec. 1. A railway station. The railroad was relocated
and the station was taken over by Connables.
Montrose Twp. Sec. Found on a 1857 map between Nashville and Keokuk, on
Montrose Twp. Sec. 24. The former name of Galland. Nashville was laid
out in 1841. It had a post office for part of the year 1843, but it was
Marion Twp. Sec. 22 The former name of the railroad station and post
office of Pilot Grove.
Charleston Twp. Sec. 22. The name of the railway station, and post
office from 1843 to 1850 when the name was changed to Charleston.
Cedar Twp. Sec 15. Town was laid out in 1858. Also called Doantown.
Washington Twp. Sec. 7.
Denmark Twp. Sec. 25. A village on the south side of the Des Moines
River oppisite the town of Augusta. It was surveyed in 1842, but no
permanent town developed.
Franklin Twp. Sec. 35. The former name of the railway station near
Des Moines Twp. Sec, 15. A post office indicated on maps of 1854.
Montrose Twp. Sec. 30 and Des Moines Twp. Sec. 25. The first Swedish
settlement in Lee County,
Franklin Twp. Sec. 8. A post office was established here in 1840. In
1853 the name was changed to Dover.
Van Buren Twp. Sec The name first given to the post office established
at Warren, the railroad station in Sec 36, Harrison Twp. This was from
January to December, 1849.
Jefferson Twp. Sec. 10. This town was never platted. It was named for
Phillip Viele, a pioneer Ft. Madison lawyer. In 1868 Daniel Weise was
appointed the first Postmaster. The post office closed in 1911.
Harrison Twp. Sec. 36
The name of a post office formerly called Camackville, which see above.
It was located at White's Iowa Intitute of Manual Labor, Sec. 14, Cedar
Charleston Twp. Sec. A former station on the old Keokuk and
The name of the plat of a projected pioneer town somewhere in Lee County
Communities Still Populated
Charles Twp. Sec. 22.
Van Buren Twp. Sec. 20. Laid out July 3, 1849 it lays along the Des
Moines River. Across the river is Athens, Missouri where the Northern
most Civil Battle occurred. This was on August 2, 1861. Amos Glover, a
Rev War solider, lies in the Croton cemetery.
Franklin Twp. Sec. 26. Laid out in 1840. The town almost became the
County Seat since it is located almost in the center of the county.
Many stone homes, from a nearby quarry, are still being used today. A
Jackson Twp. Sec. 9. Originally a railway station. During the WW I a
settlement built up around the "Powder Works." Explosives were made
there. It is now referred to as either Powder Works or Mooar.
Cedar Twp. Sec. 25.
Charles Twp. Sec. 35
Harrison Twp. Sec. 23. Laid out by Geo. Perkins, a Rev. War soldier,
about 1838. It was named by the wife of the first postmaster, Exum
McCulloch, for the wild flowers that grew in abundance. Primrose
thrived for awhile, but then the railroad never came through as
planned. Settled mostly by Germans from the Northern part, or from
Baveria. There were also Quakers and Mennonites.
Montrose Twp. Sec. 36 A small village on the Mississippi River at the
mouth of Lemoliese Creek. This name came from a Frenchman who
established a trading post there in 1820. A post office was established
in 1861-1905. Sandusky was a trading point of some importance for many
years. There was a canning factory and in the early to mid 1900's
Sandusky was known for its strawberry growing and shipping.
Marion Twp. Sec. 23
Montrose Twp. Parts of Sec. 23 The name appears to be locally
discriptive as it is on rising ground along the ridge road. The post
office was established in 1847 and discontinued in 1919. Besides the
post office there was a school, a general store and a Christian and
Des Moines Twp. Sec. 20
Towns with U. S. Postal
Des Moines Twp. Sec. 8-9
Denmark Twp. Sec. 29.
Parts of Charles Twp. Sec. 4-5 Franklin Twp. Sec. 32-33
Madison Twp. One of two County Seats in Lee County.
Cedar Twp. Sec. 13
Jackson Twp. Sec. One of two County Seats
Montrose Twp. Sec. 16
Marion Twp. Sec. 22
West Point Twp. Sec. 5
Green Bay Twp. Parts of Sec.5
Thanks to Erma Derosear and Betty Haas for help with this page