|IOWA CEMETERIES, KEOKUK COUNTY|
LANCASTER (EAST, WEST) TOWNSHIP
East Lancaster Township
Trueblood Cemetery, or Basey as it is sometimes called, is southeast of Lancaster. It may be reached by taking the paved road east of Lancaster for a little over one-half mile to the first gravel road leading south, then south for approximately three-fourths mile. The cemetery lies in the field about one-fourth mile to the southeast where a few large trees are close to the fence row.
The cemetery is not fenced and livestock may at times be in the field. Those headstones that remain are lying on the ground and few are not broken. There are weeds and some dead timber, making it difficult to find the headstones or parts of stones.
As nearly as could be determined the cemetery lies in the South Half of the Northwest Quarter of the Northeast Quarter of Section 32, Township 75 North, Range 11 West of the 5th P.M. The cemetery is not shown on the Land Plat Book in the County Auditor's Office. Deeds pertaining to this above mentioned portion of land do not make a reference to the cemetery. Because the cemetery was never deeded or excepted from deeds of surrounding territory, it is impossible to give a specific description or size of the cemetery.
William Trueblood entered the Northwest Quarter of the Northeast Quarter of Section 32, Township 75 North, Range 11 West of the 5th P.M. on September 13, 1851. In 1866, William Trueblood and his wife sold the South Half of this Forty to Benjamin F. Trueblood. At a later time H. D. Basey acquired this Twenty Acres and it may be that through his ownership, the cemetery was sometimes called the Basey Cemetery. Jane, the wife of Wm. Trueblood is buried in this cemetery, as is also Belinda, the wife of Wm. Trueblood. It has been reported that Wm. Trueblood was also buried there, but no stone for him could be found.
March 1, 1947, John C. Weber and Clara B. Weber purchased the South Half of the Northwest Quarter of the Northeast Quarter of Section 32, Township 75 North, Range 11 West of the 5th P.M., together with other land and as in previous deeds no mention was made of the cemetery in tho land description. John Weber in the time that he owned the land has been concerned about the unfenced condition of the cemetery and asked the township trustees to provide for its preservation through adequate fencing, but his request was not granted. There is no question but that in the course of a few years the stones which are there now will no longer exist.
The headstones and pieces of headstones are listed es they were located. It is evident that the stones are no longer at the exact location of the grave.
(Foot stone with initials "C.C.G." on it)
Emma Joe, dau. of D. H. and M. F. Payton, d. (stone broken here; month not there but 9 (?), 1861)
(Slab lying on ground) J. Gabbert, d. Feb. 9, 1852; age 5 yrs. 6 mos.
(Only a part of stone slab could be read) aged 8 yrs. 1 mo. 4 days (remainder of stone gone)
(Foot stone with initials "B.T." on it)
(Foot stone with initials "S.C." on it)
Sarah Cobb, d. Aug. 2, 1851; age 20 yrs. 10 mos. 28 das.
Jane A., wife of Wm. Trueblood, d. Mar. 24, 1853; age 35 yrs. 1 mo. 23 das.
Samuel Grigsby, b. May 20, 1803; d. Oct. 31, 1856
(Slab broken in two parts; parts laid together to read) Thomas W., son of Wm. and J. A. Trueblood, d. May 20, 1853; age 3 mos. 18 das.
(Foot stone with initials "S.T." on it)
Belinda, wife of Wm. Trueblood, d. Mar. 26, 1857; aged 41 yrs. 7 mos. 24 das.
(Slab broken in two pieces; parts laid together to read) C. C. Gabbert, d. Sept. 16, 1851; age 16 yrs. 6 mos.
(Stone in three parts, but it could not be put together so as to identify)
(A good foundation stone, but no top stone on it.)
Transcribed by Barbara Rogge. Many thanks, Barbara!
| These pages were designed and are maintained by IAGenWeb solely for the use and benefit of the IAGenWeb Project, a part of the USGenWeb Project.
Copyright © 1997 by IAGenWeb & Other Contributors
Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions, & Disclaimer --all of which apply to Keokuk Co.
Back to top of page Return to Keokuk Co. IAGenWeb Back to top of page
Photo background collage is made from penny postcards of Keokuk County, donated to the USGenWeb Archives