IOWA CEMETERIES, KEOKUK COUNTY

CLARY (DURLAND) CEMETERY

Van Buren Township
25-76-12

Location

The Clary (Durland) Cemetery is located on the Verne Sherwood Farm (1975), which is two miles north and about one-fourth mile east of Sigourney. To reach the Sherwood Farm take the North Main Street road out of Sigourney the two and one-fourth miles. To reach the cemetery, walk through the barn lot at the farm, then south through the pasture for about one-fourth mile. The burial ground is completely enclosed with a high woven wire fence. There are a few small trees growing on the plot. The size is about 30 by 30 feet.

Land Description, History, and Headstones

Without question the Clary (Durland) Cemetery was originally a family burial ground. Though time did not permit an exhaustive search of the county recorder's office records, no record was found of a deed for the cemetery plot. There was only one deed for the surrounding real estate which mentioned the cemetery. This deed information is set out here to indicate the cemetery's location.

A. F. Durland and wife,                                                                            Warranty Deed
Rebecca Durland                                                                                     Consideration: $1.00
                                                                                                                    Dated June 3, 1889
to                                                                                                                 Recorded June 3, 1889
                                                                                                                    Deed Record 18, 455
Frederick Neumann

Description: The Northwest Quarter of Section 25, Township 76 North, Range 12 West of the 5th P.M., containing according to government survey 160 acres more or less, except one-half acre off the Northeast side of the Northeast quarter of the Northwest Quarter, also one-half acre of the Southwest Quarter known as grave yard near the Southwest corner of the Southwest Quarter of the Northwest Quarter of Township 76 North, Range 12 West of the 5th P.M., containing 159 acres be the same more or less.

When the above real estate was sold by Frederick Neumann, no mention was made of a cemetery, nor was there any mention made of a cemetery in subsequent deeds.

At a time in the cemetery's history the burial area was not fenced, but was a part of pasture ground. At a later time the stones were taken up but shortly thereafter returned to the area. Those person who knew the cemetery in the early 1900's say there were six to eight stones in the cemetery. The only stones which were found by the lister in 1975 are given below:

Clarance, son of A. F. and C. R. Durland, d. Oct. 14, 1875; age 1 mo. 11 das.
     (Stone with top portion broken off and not there); d. Nov. 15, 18__
          (last portion of year not there); aged 72 yrs.

Transcribed by Diane Muir. Thanks so much, Diane!

These pages were designed and are maintained by IAGenWeb solely for the  use and benefit of the  IAGenWeb Project, a part of the USGenWeb Project.
Copyright © 1997 by IAGenWeb & Other Contributors        
Please read the IAGenWeb Terms, Conditions, & Disclaimer  --all of which apply to Keokuk Co.

Back to top of page                             Return to Keokuk Co. IAGenWeb                             Back to top of page

Photo background collage is made from penny postcards of Keokuk County, donated to the USGenWeb Archives