Notes are from the back of the postcards.
(webmaster notes are in
smaller italic font.)
for access to Irving Weber's Iowa City
and click here for more about Irving Weber
Old City Hall, Iowa City, Iowa, was located at the
northwest corner of Washington and Linn Streets. It was
built in 1881 and torn down 80 years later. The First
National Bank is now located at the site. This photo is
part of the F. W. Kent collection.
Washington Street at Clinton – looking east. About 1904.
For more information and another photo see:
Irving Weber’s Iowa City Volume 2 page 187
Fink’s Bazaar, Cigar, and Notion Store, Iowa City, Iowa,
was in the St. James Hotel building on Clinton Street.
Note the Indian. Henry J. Wieneke was the manager of the
store, which was located the first door south of the
post office, according to the 1883 History of Johnson
County. This photo was taken ca. 1890.
St. James Hotel, Iowa City, Iowa was on the southeast
corner of Clinton Street and Iowa Avenue, the present
site of the Dey Building and Iowa Book and Supply. This
photo was taken from the east side of the Old Capitol
lawn, ca. 1890
Rock Island Railroad Depot, Iowa City, Iowa, in the
mid-1930’s. The first railroad train to reach Iowa City
arrived on January I, 1855, at the site of the old
freight depot, located just west of Dodge Street.
This same photo is in Irving Weber's Iowa
City, Volume 2 page 111.
Heart of Down Town Iowa City. Intersection of Washington
and Dubuque Streets about 1915.
See Irving Weber’s Iowa City, Volume
2, page 183 for more.
Help identify the building in the
Butler’s Bridge on old unpaved Highway 218, just north
of Iowa City.
“Mill Hill (Terrell Mill)”—700-800 block of North
Dubuque Street. Around 1900.
According to Irving Weber’s
Iowa City, Volume 2, page 177, the Park Bridge was not
built until 1909.
Fine Arts Building overlooking the Iowa River, a
structure of great beauty and source of inspiration.
State University of Iowa.
Ectachrome by Helen O'Brien.
See Irving Weber's Iowa City Volume 2, page 123
Terrill Mill was located in
front of the present Mayflower Apartment building.
Please help identify these people.
Submitted by Mary Hitchcock (daughter of Charles Ruppert)
It must be 1906-1910. Most of those were born about 1900
and lived in the 4th Ward. Kathryn Watkins, Alan Rock,
?, Irma Mentzer b. 1899 dau of Michael and Louise
Mabel Pell b. 9 Jun 1899 dau of Geo. Hoak Pell & Emma
Fackler Pell, Fred Weider b. 1897 son of Charles &
Louise Weider, Pauline Be,Lorna ?, Roger B?, ? , C.
Krall, Baker, Willis Nutting 10 Mar 1900 son of C.C. &
Louis Nutting, Geo?. ? Baker, Marie ?, ? Hoover, Gladys
Gilipin 26 May 1900 dau. Henry & Ida Gilpin, Walter
Trump 22 Jan 1899 son John & Amelia Trump, Helen S?,
Paul Pringler 1901 son of Peter & Mary Pringler .
Maybe someone has the card and knows all the names. Mary