Iowa City left an extremely limited written record of African-Americans.
earliest dates to a January 1838 gathering at Gilbert’s trading post located
not far from what is now Napoleon Park near Iowa City’s southern boundary.
To break winter’s boredom, seven locals gathered, including “a person
called by the Indians Mogawk (sic), a tall and very black negro.”
clue is offered as to who he was, nor any other record of him, only that he
was present among the earliest local settlers while the area was still a
wilderness. A site for Iowa City was selected 16 months later.
presence is noted in an 1883 county history in a brief report written by
pioneer Henry Felkner, a farmer and saw mill operator who served several
public capacities, including territorial legislator.
record reveals the 1841 purchase of a black man for $250 during a meeting at
Swan’s Hotel then on the site now occupied by the University of Iowa’s
Gilmore Hall. Thus, a slave has been sold on what is now the University of
presidentially-appointed secretary of Iowa Territory O.H.W. Stull bought the
slave from Richard Chaney, a mill operator working upstream from what is now
Butler’s Bridge between Iowa City and River Heights. Chaney came from
Virginia by way of Keokuk.
was imitating appointed territorial Gov. John Chambers, an ex-congressman from
Kentucky, who had a black servant at his office in Old Capitol, meaning a
slave has worked in Old Cap. Just months later Stull lost his job after the
White House changed hands, moved to Burlington and gave the slave to a
early local sentiment clearly opposed slavery, and Iowa became a leader among
northern states in providing Civil War volunteer recruits. In 1858 when public
schools were organized separately from the City Council, the following was
adopted by the new Iowa City School Board.
that the colored children be instructed to attend the schools of their
respective sub-districts (wards) until objections be urged by the white
families sending to said schools; and that the secretary be instructed to
inform such colored families of this arrangement.”
district policy integrated local schools on inception prior to the Civil War.
recorded incident involves Lone Tree farmer John Curtis, who was charged in
1860 with taking two black girls to sell. To avoid a kidnapping conviction,
Curtis and wife Nancy adopted the children; then, reportedly sold them in
Memphis for $500 and $800.
Kansas abolitionist John Brown frequented Iowa City during visits at a Quaker
stop near West Branch on the Underground Railroad between 1856 and his hanging
at Harper’s Ferry, W.V., in 1859. He sought counsel and money from several
prominent locals, including lawyer and city councilman Penn Clark.
1858 Clark, noted retired sheriff Samuel Trowbridge and others surreptitiously
rented a railroad box car to carry Brown and 12 escaped slaves to Chicago.
When they were picked up in West Liberty, many who had heard street talk
turned out to cheer the group.
another visit Brown and friends were eating in a Clinton Street café now site
of The Summit restaurant downtown when a mob seeking a $3,000 reward formed
outside Metropolitan Hall where the Jefferson building now stands.
slipped out the back door and found refuge nine blocks away at Dr. Jesse
Bowen’s home along Iowa Avenue beyond Governor Street.
3 a.m. old sheriff Trowbridge led Brown and party on a circuitous route safely
to rural West Branch. During his return trek Trowbridge encountered three
separate groups of bounty hunters awaiting Brown, but kept the secret that the
Kansas abolitionist already was safely away.
is some early local black history.
Paved streets and highways arrive in Iowa City.
Hibbs collects local postcards and researches history related to them.
By Bob Hibbs
February 21, 2004