|JOHNSON COUNTY IAGenWeb Project|
By Bob Hibbs
Saturday August 21, 2004 page rebuilt 23 Sep 2010
A marvelously original class souvenir (center, measuring 20” by 24”) has surfaced of the 1895 class at the long-defunct Iowa City Academy.
Enlargements offer such details as Old Capitol (left) and areas of study (right). Courtesy of Steven Warner.
is history in every block of Iowa City, as well as in every piece of obscure
ephemera if one can just figure out where to locate at least semi-reliable
sources of data.
in point is a stunning piece prepared of the 1895 graduating class of the
long-dead Iowa City Academy which was operated a half century beginning in
1868 in several central Iowa City locations.
was founded by Prof. William McClain in Market Hall, a two-story brick then on
the southeast corner of the Iowa Avenue intersection with Dubuque. McClain
sold it to brothers Amos and Herman Hiatt effective Jan. 1, 1878, who moved it
to the northeast corner of Clinton and Jefferson streets.
the fall term in 1882 the staff included the Hiatt brothers, plus Prof. E.R.
Williams in penmanship and bookkeeping, Miss Lou Mordoff in German, Miss S.F.
Lougbridge in Latin, J.C. Armentrout in physiology, anatomy and hygiene,
Mattie Hiatt in math and English, and George Bremer in drawing.
passed to R. H. Tripp and Albert Loughridge in 1887, and from Loughridge to
Williams and Prof. William Willis in 1891, then solely to Prof. Willis
beginning in 1895. Through these years, the school was housed in a two-story
brick on the northeast corner of Clinton and Jefferson streets, just across
sold this site to St. Mary’s Roman Catholic Church in 1905 which operated
St. Joseph’s Institute next door. The site eventually served St. Mary’s
elementary and high school, and is currently occupied by the Newman Catholic
moved the academy to Washington Street, where it remained until his death
sometime before 1922.
Iowa City Academy was unrelated to short-lived 1843 Iowa City College which
made plans that never materialized, or to never-opened 1845 Iowa City
University. They were proffered by well-meaning local citizens who proved to
be ahead of any local pool of potential students.
the University of Iowa suffered a severe student shortage when it finally
struggled into existence in 1855, eight years after it was created on paper.
Despite its operation of a preparatory school (read “high school”),
financial shortages forced UI to close from 1858 until it finally was opened
for good in 1860.
operated the prep school as a source of students for decades, earning UI the
early derisive sobriquet “Johnson County High School.”
academy served as a private school for Iowa Citians seeking a better
education, but it ultimately could not compete with UI.
distinguished academy alumni were long-time UI history professor and Iowa City
historian Benjamin Shambaugh, and noted local business college teacher
Elizabeth Irish whose name the college carried.
class of 1895 came near the peak of academy operation while still at the
Clinton-Jefferson streets intersection across from Pentacrest. The class
created a souvenir which has survived, yielding photos of 40 students and nine
addition to Willis and Williams, the faculty was Prof. Blakely, Prof. Stoke,
Misses Carrie and Louise Mordoff (sisters), Mrs. Partridge, Miss Faith Willis
(daughter) and Miss Calvin.
carried such vintage local family names as Black, Bowman, Bradley, Bridenstine,
Browning, Burns, Carter, Fry, Ham, Mann, McDonnell, Miller, Moore, Morland,
Roberts, Secrest, Stevens and Thomas.
in a seemingly mystic background is a list nine arts and sciences, including
agricultural, artist, legal, mechanical, merchantile (sic), musical,
political, professional and theological. A photograph of Old Capitol also
appears, surrounded by a delicate hand-painted scroll-like border. Stylized
Greek letters appear elsewhere.
of “Higher Learning” and “Practical Life” seem focused on the words
“Class” and “1895” found on either side of an 11-level pyramid stack
of faculty and student photos.
pardon a poorly spun pun; but, it stacks up as a rather classy portrayal of
Saturday: Another school – Hoover
Elementary – marking a semi-centennial.
Bob Hibbs collects local postcards and other historic ephemera and researches history related to them.