Jefferson County Online
A part of the IAGenWeb and USGenWeb Projects
Early History of County Schools


This article was not part of the partial history of early Jefferson County schools as written in the 1970s, but contains historical information from the same timeframe.


"The Fairfield Ledger"
Wednesday, May 21, 1975
Page 2, Columns 1, 2, 3, and 4

History Lists 3 Names, 3 Sites --
School's Move Inspires Reunion

The moving of Cedar No. 6, Wooster, or Peachblossom School is the first major project of the Jefferson County Bicentennial Commission. It was a momentous occasion for those who attended the school, and those who taught there.

Mrs. William Bristow and Mrs. Fred Robinson, decided this would be an appropriate time for a school reunion. To make a permanent record of the event pictures were taken and a tape recording was made by the commission to be preserved in the school house.

The reunion was held Sunday at noon at the Girls 4-H Building on the Junior Ag grounds with 66 in attendance for the bountiful basket luncheon.

Twenty-eight of those present had attended school at Wooster. The oldest was Mrs. Carl Jay, who will be 90 in December. Youngest was Terry Dodds, who now farms a mile north of the schoolhouse site. His father, John Dodds was the last director and lives a mile east of the site.

The largest family turnout was the Fickel family. Family members making the trip were Mr. and Mrs. Elvin Fickel of Des Moines, Mr. and Mrs. Ervin Fickel of Ames, Mr. and Mrs. John Fickel and Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Hollander (Esther Fickel) all of Fairfield, and Mr. and Mrs. Earl Fickel of Indianola.

Preceding the meal, Mrs. Sam Farmer effectively expressed the appreciation of the group for honoring the memory of those who had passed away during the years.

The one coming the farthest was Frances Fisher Harris. She and her husband are from Lansing, Mich. She has been a teacher as well as a student in the school.

Other people not mentioned came from Burlington, Ottumwa, Lockridge, Iowa City, Batavia, Richland and Brighton.


History

A history of the school was read by Mrs. Bristow. She told that the first schoolhouse was built of logs and stoof one-half mile east of where it was later located. Date of the lease was January 1858.

A new frame building was erected in 1860 which was later remodeled and enlarged in 1886. In 1910 this building was moved a half mile south to Wooster and used for a corn crib. A new school was constructed and the school yard was enlarged at that time.

A maple tree was set out one Arbor Day which is some 70 to 85 years old and is still standing, a rare feat for a maple tree.

Tragedy struck when the school house burned at Christmas time in 1915. To some students this was a decided blessing! But they were outwitted and the year was finished in a dwelling half mile west of Wooster.

The present bulding was built soon after and used until 17 years ago, when the school system was reorganized. Recently the building was purchased by the Bicentennial Commission which moved it to the Jefferson County Conservation Area on May 12. This is 5 miles southeast of its former location. It will be restored and preserved as a museum and permanent memo of bye-gone days (sic). It ranks as a centenarian since it served from 1858 to 1958 in active duty.

As an interesting sidelight Sunday, the hostesses had made name tags in the shape of the school building, front view.


Teachers

From past records Mrs. Bristow has dredged up the names of instructors at the school through the years. It follows.

Ella Case, Bird Fuller, Alva Barnes, Lula Barnes, Helen McCoy, Morris Caviness, Emma Gardner, Goldie Trent, Jessie Connor, Carrie Wikoff, Hazel Grant, a Clemmens whose first name could not be found.

Bertie Newell, Louise Massey, Eric Castile, Mr. Sargent, Florence Green, Ethel Julian, Bernice Webber, Chloe Hale, Hattie Patterson, Dan Overholt, Helen Shafer, Belle Allender, Blanche Banta, Mabel Alverson and Helen Parsons around the 1914 era.

Pearl Knedler, Lida Gardner, LeVergne Whitmore, Wilma Reitveld, Mrs. Allerdice, Grace Roberts, Mary Bean, Clara Fry, Mabel Humphreys; Mrs. Mary Colville started the 1920s. She was followed by Ethel Fulton, Eleanor Parsons, Edna Pattison, Mabel Wilhelm, Gladys Reed, Helen Billingsley, Freda Keller, Enid Pearson, Beverly Jane Smith, Lottie Hansen.

The last six teachers were Bertie DuVall, Della Erickson, Mrs. Ralph Leathers, Florence Taylor Holmes from about 45-52, Winifred Mary Harvey and Katheryn Schadt was the last.

A large display of snapshots and other pictures dating as far back as 1904 was the focal point for the recalling of many events at the school with three names and three sites.





This page was created on 5 July 2026 and is copyrighted. The page and/or its linked data may be copied and used for personal purposes but can not be republished nor used for commercial purposes without the author's written permission.

I am the County Coordinator and the Webmaster, the one who is responsible for the IAGenWeb project for Jefferson County, Iowa. Please contact me if you would like to contribute to this database or if you note any problems with these pages.

Return to the Jefferson County Main Page