Iowa
Old Press
Oskaloosa Herald
Oskaloosa, Mahaska
March, 1916
W.T. Tandy and wife celebrated their "Golden Wedding
Anniversary" March 28, 1916.
Mr. Tandy was born in Keokuk County, Iowa, November 18, 1844;
when three years of age, moved with his parents to Missouri,
there to reside but one year. Iowa was thought the best place and
thus the family moved to Appanoose County, making this their home
until 1852, when they came to Mahaska County and settled four
miles south of Oskaloosa, residing there but two years, and made
a slight change of only a mile distance farther south in what is
known as the "Rhinehart Neighborhood." In 1864 the
family moved to the place which is now owned by the youngest
brother, A.H. Tandy, in the "Six Mile Neighborhood."
W.T. Tandy is the next oldest child of a family of twelve
children. In 1892, his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Calvin Tandy,
celebrated their "Golden Wedding Anniversary" at the
old home at "Six Mile." Mrs. Tandy, who was Mary J.
Boston, was born February 19, 1846, in Marion County, Illinois.
She came to Mahaska County with her parents, William and Sarah
Boston, when but a six month old babe, in a covered wagon. Her
father took a claim where the county farm is now located, and
there erected a log cabin, but he met the same misfortunre, many
others experienced by having his claim taken from him by a Mr.
Beard. This pioneer father did not become discouraged, but took
another claim one and one-half miles north of the former one;
built another log cabin and remained there with his wife and
three little ones until death claimed him in 1852. The widow and
little ones were left alone to battle the hardships of life in
this new country. Soon, Mrs. Boston, with her little flock, moved
to her father's home, John Slider, who lived just a mile south of
her former home. The farm is now owned by Mrs. Dr. Bevan. Mr.
Slider entered this farm in 1844 and lived there until 1865, when
he sold it; bought and moved to the farm which is now owned by
Mont Wharton. The little girl, Mary, grew to womanhood on her
grandfather's farm located on the Knoxville Road, and just a year
after moving to the new home, was united in marriage to W.T.
Tandy, March 28, 1866. To this union were born three children,
two sons, A.B. Tandy and W.T. Tandy, Jr., and one daughter, Mrs.
R. H. Williams, all of whom are living. The entire immediate
family now, including the grandchildren, consists of a company of
eighteen. The most remarkable record is--fifty years of married
life and not a death in their own family or among the
grandchildren. Their blessing have been many. Mr. and Mrs. Tandy
spent their life on the farm until the spring of 1898 when they
retired and moved to their present home in Oskaloosa, 747 North
E? Street. In 1905, they took their "honeymoon" trip
and spent a few months on the western coast. All the previous
years of their married life had been too busy to take a vacation;
thus they waited until the door of opportunity opened to them.
They visited in Nebraska, Colorado, and (remainder of article
missing).
[transcribed by J.D.P., February 2005]