S. W. Young, the able proprietor and editor
of the principal newspaper of Battle Creek, Iowa, comes from the Pine Tree State, having
been born in Maine, March 28, 1843. His parents were Captain Ed B. and Ruth (Eells) Young,
both natives of New England. The father of the subject of this sketch was a sea captain,
who went to California in 1849 and died there.
Mr. Young was reared in Bellville, Ohio, until 1851. when he removed to
Indianola, Warren county, Iowa, where he lived for thirteen years. His first work for
himself was done in the employ of the Indianola Visitor, in which position he remained for
six years. He then returned to Ohio and was in the Herald office at Mansfield, that State,
for one year. He then again removed to Iowa, and for four years was in the employ of Mills
& Co., at Des Moines, being first employed as assistant foreman of the job room and
later as foreman of the press room. He afterward took charge of the Des Moines Bulletin,
but on its discontinuance, went, in the fall of 1870, to Storm Lake, Buena Vista county,
Iowa, where he started the Pilot, the first newspaper ever published in that county. He
also filled the position of Postmaster in Storm Lake under the administration of
Presidents Hayes, Garfield and Arthur. He continued to be thus occupied until 1881, when,
owing to financial reverses and dishonesty of a partner, he sold out his interest and
removed to Ida Grove. Here he had charge of the news depot for ten months, after which he
came to Battle Creek and assumed the publishing of the newspaper here, which had changed
hands five or six times shortly before his advent. Under Mr. Youngs energetic and
careful management, this paper has become the leading periodical of the county. He has
missed the superintendency of but two issues since taking charge of the paper, once when a
terrible blizzard rendered it impossible to reach his place of business, and on the
occasion of the death of his wife.
Mr. Young was
married at Des Moines, Iowa, in 1866, to Miss India Conner, a lady of intelligence and
refinement, of excellent family. She was born in Indiana and was a daughter of George W.
Conner, a well-known and highly respected gentleman. They had four children: Frances
Sarah, deceased, at the age of twenty-one years; Minnie, died aged twenty-one; Olive, now
fourteen years old; and Harry, aged eleven. Mr. Young was called upon to mourn the death
of his devoted wife in 1885. She was a lady of rare Christian character, and a worthy
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of Storm Lake, Iowa
Politically, Mr. Young is an independent Republican, a clear and forcible writer,
fearless in what he considers right, and of an energetic, progressive disposition; and he
wields a far-reaching influence for good throughout his community, while his genial
personality has gained for him many admiring friends.
J. G. Eicholtz,
the efficient Treasurer of Ida county, Iowa, has been the incumbent of this office since
January 1, 1888, and has been a resident of the county since March, 1881. Of Mr. Eicholtzs
life, both public and private, we make the following record, feeling sure that it will be
read with interest by his many friends and large circle of acquaintances here:
J. G. Eicholtz
dates his birth at that historic place, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, April 1, 1843. He is a
son of John and Margaret (Meals) Eicholtz, also natives of Pennsylvania. Their ancestors
originally came from Germany, but for three generations back have been residents of the
Keystone State. The father died in Gettysburg in 1890. The mother is still
living. They had a family of eight children, five sons and three daughters, six of whom
are living, all in Gettysburg, except the subject of our sketch. During the war the father
sustained heavy losses. He was a wagon-maker by trade. In 1861 he was elected Clerk of the
Courts at Gettysburg.
Two of the sons,
J. G. and Samuel H., were in the army. The latter enlisted in February, 1865, in Company
A, One Hundred and Third Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry; was chosen Second Lieutenant of
his company, was promoted to Lieutenant-Colonel just before the war closed, and was
mustered out as such. February 2, 1865, J. G. enlisted in the same company, having served
nine months previous to this in Company A, One Hundred and Fifty-sixth Pennsylvania
Volunteer Infantry, and was mustered out in September, 1865, as Corporal. He passed
through the battle of Gettysburg as a private citizen. He was taken prisoner, but by a
little strategy, on his part, made his escape. Just before he was taken prisoner he was
passing along through a wheat field, and when the fight commenced he and three companions
lay down in a ditch and the lines both passed over them four times. In the last charge he
and his associates picked up muskets and took a hand in the contest, and while thus
engaged were captured.
Mr. Eicholtz was
reared on a farm in his native county and spent a portion of his youthful days working in
wagon shop with his father. In March, 1868, he came as far West as Nachusa, Lee county, Illinois,
where he was engaged in manufacturing wagons two years. At the end of that time he and a
partner purchased 160 acres of prairie land. This was in 1870 and 71. In January,
1872, Mr. Eicholtz went back to Illinois and was married, returning with his wife to
Guthrie county. In May of the following year he took charge at his mother-in-laws
farm at Nachusa, Illinois, and remained there until 1881. Since that year, as above
stated, he has been a resident of Ida county. Upon coming here he located on 160 acres of
prairie land in section 31, Blaine township, which he had purchased three years previous,
and on which he made his home until 1884, devoting his time to its cultivation and
improvement. In 1884 he bought property in Ida Grove and moved to town. A year later,
however, he went back to the farm and there spent another year. In the fall of 1886 he
returned to his old home in Pennsylvania and the following spring again established his
home in Ida Grove. The rest of that year he was engaged in the grocery business. Then, in
July, he was appointed to fill a vacancy in the sheriffs office, and that same fall
was elected County Treasurer.
circles he is prominent and active, being a staunch Democrat. He was a member of the order
of Red Men for a number of years in Pennsylvania, and is connected with the following
organizations here: G. A. R., Matthew Gray Post, No. 105; A. F. & A. M., Kane Lodge,
No. 377; and K. of P., Syracuse Lodge, No. 200, Odebolt, Iowa.
Mr. Eicholtz was
married January 14, 1872, to Miss Ella Fish, who was born in Maine, May 5, 1851, daughter
of Ebenezer and Oseola (Mason) Fish. Her father was a member of the Thirty-fourth Illinois
Volunteer Infantry, and was killed at Perryville. They have a family of four children,
Mary M., married in October, 1892, to William F. Kapplin, County Superintendent of Ida
county; Burton E.; Edward J., and Ethel. Mr. Eicholtz is a Lutheran and his wife and one
of their daughters are members of the Church of God.
Samuel Shoop, a
farmer of section 19, Blaine township, Ida county, post office Ida Grove, was born in Dauphin county, Pennsylvania,
in 1846, a son of Samuel and Mary (Garman) Shoop, natives also of that county. Grandfather
Frederic Shoop was born in Germany, but when a boy came to Dauphin county, Pennsylvania,
where he afterward was married. The father of our subject was reared and educated in his
native State, where, in 1864, he enlisted and served until the close of the struggle. In
1884 he came to Ida county, Iowa, where he died, in 1890. His wife died in Dauphin county,
Pennsylvania, in 1853. Mr. and Mrs. Shoop were the parents of five children, viz.: Sarah,
widow of George Wallower, and a resident of Dauphin county, and a resident of Dauphin
county; George, a resident of Arthur; Samuel, our subject; Catherine, who died in 1872,
was the wife of Andrew Sarker, of Dauphin county; and John, if living, resides in the
Samuel Shoop was
reared in his native county. At the opening of the late war, he enlisted for three months
in Company B, Twenty-seventh Pennsylvania Infantry, and at the expiration of his term of
service re-enlisted in the Thirty-sixth Pennsylvania Infantry for three months, He next
entered Company D, Twentieth Pennsylvania Infantry, and took part in the battles of
Shenandoah Valley, Winchester, Weldon Railroad, Appomattox Courthouse and New Market. He
participated in nineteen engagements in all, and was honorably discharged at Philadelphia
in July, 1865. While in service Mr. Shoop contracted a disease, from which he has suffered
greatly. After the close of the struggle he resumed farming in Dauphin county, and in 1884
he purchased 120 acres of land on section 19, Blaine township, Ida county, Iowa, now under
a fine state of cultivation. He has a frame residence, 20 x 24 feet, with a wing, 16 x 14
feet, a barn, 24 x 14 feet, and two acres of his place is devoted to an orchard, shade and
ornamental trees. Mr. Shoop is engaged in general farming, also in raising Italian bees.
Politically, he affiliates with the Republican party.
county, Pennsylvania, in 1867, our subject was united in marriage to Miss Mary Howard, a
native of that county, and a daughter of Peter and Catherine (Stump) Howard, natives of Lancaster
county, Pennsylvania The parents afterward located in Dauphin county, where the mother
died in 1880. The same year the father came to Ida county, Iowa, and his death occurred in
1887. Great-grandmother Howard lived to the advanced age of 105 yard. Mr. and Mrs. Shoop
have had five children: Mary C., wife of C. W. Boyer, of Blaine township; Simon P., who
married Sarah Flathers, and resides in this township; Ida Isadora, wife of J. F. Fettro,
of Ida Grove; Sarah Elizabeth; and William Mitchell, attending school in this county. Our
subject and wife are members of the Evangelical Church.
G. C. Williams,
V. S.The subject of this sketch is a celebrated doctor of the ailments of the brute
creation and resides in Ida Grove, Iowa. He is a native of Elgin county, Canada, where he
was born, November 8, 1860, son of Arthur and Rachel (Welter) Williams, both natives of Canada,
although of English descent.
Our subject was
reared and educated in the public schools of his native place, and at the age of
twenty-five began the study of veterinary surgery, graduating from the Ontario Veterinary
College, Toronto, Canada, March 30, 1888, and is Honorary Fellow of the Ontario Veterinary
Medical Association. He first located in DeWitt, Clinton county, Iowa, and spent three
years there, engaged in the practice of his profession, and then came to Ida Grove, where
he has built up a large practice by his skill and knowledge. He is a thorough master of
his science, and enjoys the largest practice in the county. Prior to engaging in his
profession, Dr. Williams was engaged in farming and learned much of his practical
knowledge of animals in that calling.
He has been
married twice, the first wife being Miss Alice Morrell, whom he married, April 9, 1885,
but she only survived her marriage about eight months, and on August 3, 1981, he married
Miss Susie Suiter, a native of Iowa, daughter of Cyrus and Margaret (Gatton) Suiter.
Politically, Dr. Williams is a Democrat. He is a member of the Iowa State Veterinary
Medical Association, and also a member of the United States Veterinary Medical
Both Doctor and
Mrs. Williams are worthy people, who enjoy the respect and esteem of a large circle of
David O. Crum
David O. Crum,
one of the highly respected and reliable citizens of Corwin township, is residing upon
Forney & Bro.s well-cultivated farm of 160 acres of good farming land, on
section 25, in the above township, Ida county, Iowa. Mr. Crum settled in the township in
1880, since which time he has made his home among the residents of Corwin township. He was
born in Dauphin county, Pennsylvania, October 18, 1852, and is the son of William L. Crum,
a native of the same county and State, and the latter waws the son of Leonard Crum, of
German parentage. The mother of our subject was Elizabeth Croll, born in Dauphin county, Pennsylvania,
daughter of Henry Croll. Thirteen children were born to the parents of our subject, seven
sons and six daughters. The parents died in their native county, the mother passing away
in her sixty-eighth year, followed by her husband when he was over seventy. The latter was
a farmer by occupation, and a Republican in politics. He was a faithful member of the Evangelical
Church, in which he was a Deacon.
Our subject was
reared to farm life, educated in the common schools of his native county, and came at an
early age to Ohio, locating at Tiffin, where he remained some years; then returned to
Pennsylvania, and in 1880, again came West, settling in Corwin township, Ida county, Iowa.
Here he farmed 160 acres of Forney & Bro.s land, which he has since improved,
and on which he has erected a good one and a half residence, 18 x 24 feet. He has all of
the farm under fence, and is engaged in general farming.
At the age of
thirty Mr. Crum married, in his native county, a lady by the name of Sarah C. Forney, a
person of rare intellectual attainments, born, reared and educated at Harrisburg, in
Dauphin county, Pennsylvania, daughter of Michael and Elizabeth Forney. Seven children
have been born to our subject and his wife, namely: Maggie E., Anna F., Emma C., Ida May,
Oliver D., Ora, and Ellen Orveada. The first-born, Willie, died at the age of ten months.
Our subject, who takes some interest in politics, was formerly a Republican, but now
affiliates with the Peoples party. He is a prominent member of the Farmers Alliance.
Mr. and Mrs. Crum are active and faithful members of the Church of God, and take a great
deal of interest in Sunday-school work. Socially, Mr. Crum is connected with I. O. O. F.
and K. of P. He is a man that has taken an active interest in the cause of education and
religion, and is very willing to give his assistance to anything that promises to elevate
society or promote the general good of his fellow-citizens. For these many reasons Mr.
Crum is highly respected and esteemed throughout the entire community.
one of the early settlers of Ida Grove, Iowa, came to Ida county in 1877, and until
recently has been identified with the contracting and building interests here. He is one
of the oldest contractors and builders in the county, and has assisted largely in its
material growth and development. He located at Ida Grove when the town was just starting,
and began the contracting and building business, and has put up a great many of the best
buildings in the city. No other man or firm in the county has done as much in this line as
Mr. Bassett and his son, W. H., who were partners for a number of years. About 1887 Mr.
Bassett, Sr., retired from active business, his son succeeding him.
was born in the county of Cornwall, England, August 2, 1828, son of Thomas and Jane
(Pierce) Bassett. Hs parents both died in England. They had a family of nine children, of
whom five are still living, the subject of our sketch being the only one who came to America.
He was reared and learned his trade in his native land, and was there married in February,
1849, to Eliza A. Rouse, a native of the same county. In 1854 he came to America and
located in Zanesville, Ohio, where he remained until 1875, and while there engaged in
contracting and building. In 1877 he came to Ida Grove. And since coming here he has not
only been identified with the building interests of the place, but has also taken an
active part in the welfare of the county in general. He has been a member of the School
Board for five years. Politically, he is a Republican. He and his wife have been life-long
Methodists. They have had six children, viz.: Emily A., Elizabeth, wife of Charles S.
Barnes, Des Moines, Iowa; Eliza, deceased; Mary J., deceased wife of W. C. Moorehead of
this county; William H.; and Laura.
began life at the very bottom, and by honest and persistent industry worked his way up to
his present position. He and his family are among the most worthy and highly respected
people of their town. Of his son William H. we present the following brief sketch:
W. H. Bassett
was born in Zanesville, Ohio, December 31, 1859, and since he was seventeen has been a
resident of Ida county, Iowa. When quite young he began working at the carpenters
trade, and was associated in business with his father until 1887, since which time he has
been conducting a successful business in his own name. He employs from five to seven men
during the summer seasons, and in the winter three men. He has erected as many, if not
more, buildings in Ida Grove than any other firm here, and he also does a large outside
business. In connection with his contracting and building he is also engaged in the
real-estate business, buying, fitting up, and selling property. He now has a number of
properties in Ida Grove, which he keeps for sale or rental.
Mr. Bassett is
one of the most enterprising and progressive young men in the county. He is a Republican
in politics; is a member of the City Council, and is assistant chief of the Fire
Department, having been a member of the same since its organization. His office is on Main
Rinehart is one of the most popular hostelries of Battle Creek, Iowa, being centrally
situated, and within a short distance of the depot. Under its careful management it offers
a refreshing retreat for the weary and hungry, who are cordially welcomed and well-cared
for during their sojourn under its hospitable roof. The building is commodious, being 24 x
50 feet, two stories high, with an L, 22 x 26 feet, of the same height, comprising
fourteen bright, cheery, neat and comfortable rooms, whose appearance is very inviting to
the dusty, fatigued traveler. In connection with these there is a restaurant and lunch
counter, where the best of meals and all temperance drinks are provided at small cost. The
able proprietor and manager of this resort is deserving of mention in the history of Ida
Mr. Rinehart was
born in Frederick county, Maryland, February 21, 1859, son of Daniel and Margaret (Hyder)
Rinehart, both natives of the same State. Mr. Rinehart was reared and educated in his
native county. In 1882 he joined the westward tide of emigration, removing to Ida county, Iowa,
where he entered the employ of the Bowman Lumber Company, and after one years
service there was transferred by the company to Holstein, where he remained two years. He
then removed to Ida Grove for the same company, remaining there until March, 1884, at
which time he went to Arthur, and took charge of that companys yards at that place,
remaining there fifteen months. He was then transferred to Battle Creek to superintend the
same companys yard at that place, in
charge of which he remained until in June, 1892, when the company sold out to other
parties. The same month Mr. Rinehart bought his present hotel, which was then known as
Hotel Hopkins. This house has been overhauled and much improved under Mr. Rineharts
able management, who is nothing if not a rustler, and gifted with a genial
cordiality which attracts and retains customers and friends.
Mr. Rinehart was
married in Ida Grove, to Miss Elizabeth Estep, a native of Illinois, and daughter of
George W. and Sarah Estep. She is a lady of intelligence, and has been a true helpmate to
her husband, assisting him in the management of the house, and contributing in a great
measure to his prosperity. They have two bright children, both daughters: Hazel Pearl and
Rinehart affiliates with the Republican party, and he has served as a member of the City
Council for three years, discharging his duties in that capacity with ability and honor.
Socially, he belongs to the Knights of Pythias. As a citizen he is widely known and highly
Dr. E.C. Heilman
Dr. E. C.
Heilman, Ida Grove, Iowa, located here in August 20, 1877, and for the past fifteen years
has been prominently identified with the medical profession of this place.
Dr. Heilman was
born in Cedar county, Iowa, July 18, 1856, son of Samuel and Mary (Ranck) Heilman. His
parents are natives of Pennsylvania and of German descent. They now reside in Colorado.
The Doctor was reared in his native State, received his literary education at Cornell College
and took his medical course at the Medical College of Ohio, at Cincinnati, graduating at
the latter institution in March, 1877. Previous to his entering college at Cincinnati he
had studied medicine in the office of Dr. N. B. Cotton, of Cedar county, Iowa, and after
his graduation he spent a few months with his preceptor before settling in Ida Grove, as
above stated. Upon his arrival here he entered into a partnership with Dr. F. D. Seeber,
with whom he was associated for two years. At the end of that time Dr. Seeber withdrew
from the firm and went to California. After conducting his practice alone for two years
Dr. Heilman formed a partnership with Dr. Moorehead, who had just graduated and with whom
he practiced four years. In 1883 the subject of our sketch was elected on the Republican
ticket to the office of County Treasurer, and filled the same with credit to himself and
also to his constituents.
his official duties in December, 1887, Dr. Heilman resumed practice the first of 1888, and
has since devoted his whole time and attention to his profession. He has a large and
lucrative practice and is frequently called in during consultation, his professional
duties often calling him twenty-five miles away. The Doctor is a member of the State
Medical Society and also of the American Medical and Maple Valley Medical Societies. He
has two students in his office and also employs a bookkeeper. In 1884 he was a delegate to
the American Medical Association that converged in Washington, being sent from this
Dr. Heilman has
always been a public-spirited citizen, ever interested in the welfare of the community,
and active as a Republican politician. Socially, he is a member of the following
organizations: A. F. & A. M., Kane Lodge; Syria Chapter, No. 104; Rose Croix
Commandery, No. 38; I. O. O. F.; K. of P.; A. O. U. W., No. 271; and M. W. of A.
Dr. Heilman has
owned and improved several properties and owns the pleasant home in which he now resides.
He was married September 20, 1877, to Miss Nancy J. Blazer, of Cedar county, Iowa,
daughter of George W. and Catharine (Scarlett,) Blazer. They have three children: Earnest
S., Ralph E. and Frank B. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church,
he being one of the Trustees of the same.