- School Sports
The first school in the community was held in
a small log cabin built by Patrick Burns, on his land. This was the
winter of 1857-8 and the school, which contained sixteen scholars, was
taught by Eliza Knowles. The first schoolhouse was built by private
subscription, in 1860, and was taught by T. E. Collins. The
schoolhouse in the east side of town was erected in 1882 at the cost
of $2,000. It was a substantial structure, two stories in height.
Gertrude Tyler, and Cora Ray were two teachers. It was later enlarged.
In 1914 it was moved away to make room for a
brick building. Until 1956, this building housed the elementary grades
and the high school. Professor Lowell E. Cockrill was Superintendent
for 29 of those years, having come to Livermore in 1927. In 1964,
Marguerite Wyman retired from fifty years of teaching, thirty-two of
which were spent with the second grade in Livermore. Jack Sykes
custodian at that time, served for over thirty years.
In 1956 the schools of Ottosen, Bode, and Livermore merged to form the
Twin Rivers Community School. The elementary schools were located at Ottosen and
Livermore and the high school at Bode, all under Superintendent Alvin