HUMBOLDT COUNTY'S NEWSPAPER
The first newspaper in Humboldt County was the
Moccasin, a manuscript sheet, and was circulated among the settlers. It
was edited by M. D. Collins at Sumner in Delana Township in 1856, but was only
published for one year.
County True Democrat, a weekly paper, edited by S. H. Taft, was established in
1866. In 1869 the paper was renamed the Republican and a new press was
purchased. In 1869 the paper was sold to J. N. Weaver who in turn sold
back to Taft in 1872. During Mr. Taft's absence in the East, A. M. Adams
edited the paper followed by Frederick H. Taft. The paper was now known
as the Humboldt Kosmos. In 1874, F. H. Taft, then 17 years old, became
editor and manager, and he continued in this capacity until 1882 when the
paper was sold in turn to Bissell and Kenyon and to J. B. Swinborne.
April 1, 1893, the paper was sold to Frank Jaqua, owner and editor of the
Republican and was incorporated with that paper under the name of the Humboldt
The Humboldt County
Independent was established at Dakota City, 1860, its equipment of a few cases
of type and an old Washington iron hand press was brought from Fort Dodge by
an ox team. The paper shortly was discontinued, but revived again in
1863, and in 1874, passed into the hand of A. M. Adams, who edited the paper
until his death at which time the late A. E. Minion became owner and editor.
This paper, in 1929, was sold to the Jaqua interests of the Humboldt
Republican who still publish the paper under the same name each week on
Saturday and the Humboldt Republican on Thursday.
Editor Frank Jaqua was the dean of all Humboldt
County editors, having published the Humboldt Republican for fifty five years.
He was also the most noted and one of the State's ablest editorial writers,
and upon his death, the newspaper of the State editorialized upon the loss of
one so gifted in the art of journalism. The two sons, Lawrence, as
editor, and Franklin, as business manager, and Franklin's son, John, as a
partner, carry on the publications of the Republican and Independent in the
same efficient manner as their famous Father and Grandfather.
John Hopkins, in the early 1900's came from
Bradgate and published the Herald Democrat for several years. John was
an able editor of the old school, and his sharp and spicy comments on politics
and the State of the Union drew many a laugh.