IAGenWeb Project

 Iowa History

       An IAGenWeb Special Project




Researched and Transcribed by
Susan Rekkas

Daily Gazette, Wednesday Morning, November 18, 1868, page 4.



He is not Expected to Live!


Yesterday afternoon the steamer Key City landed a gang of as desperate-looking men as ever murdered in night time. They had not been here long before they commenced quarreling among themselves. This was on Front street, near Brady, at about 5 o'clock. The strife settled, the party adjourned to Cope's saloon, corner of Brady, to take a drink all around. Here two of the party, named Mike Clancy and James Holden, renewed the quarrel and soon came to blows. Cope stepped up to separate them, no one else venturing to interfere. As he put himself between the men, Clancy out with a big handled, long-bladed knife, and with lightening-like, motions, stabbed Holden in two places. Once in the neck, just below the ear, a bad cut, and again in the abdomen, on the left side, a deep and frightful wound. Holden shrieked "I'm murdered! I'm murdered!" and the lookers on were horror-stricken to see his bowels protrude from the orifice of the wound. The wounded man fell to the floor and Clancy fled out doors. Cope followed him, took the knife from him, and intended to deliver him up to the police. Clancy shook him off and escaped up Brady street.

Officer Carstens then made his appearance at the saloon, and taking Cope with him went in search of Clancy. At last they went to the ferry boat, and Cope saw Clancy coming towards the dock, accompanied by two roughs, with his hat low down, his collar up, and his body bent so as to conceal his face. He was recognized, however, and Carstens out with his revolver, and told him to surrender. He demurred at first, but the sight of the barker quelled his rebellious thoughts, and Carstens took him to jail, where he was safely locked in a cell.

In the meantime Doctors French and Baker, having been sent for, arrived at Cope's saloon, and proceeded to dress Holden's wounds. The cut in the neck was not dangerous, as it was only a deep flesh wound. But the hole in the abdomen was a sorry affair. The surgeons put back the entrails, and did all they could to relieve the man, who seemed to be in great agony. Late in the evening Marshall Kauffman removed the man to the Mississippi House, where he grew worse. It was feared that his intestines were cut, and that he would not live till the morning. During the night he became flighty, and imagined himself mate of a steamboat, giving orders. At two this A. M. he was in a very precarious condition.

Clancy is evidently a savage among his class. One of the men who got off the boat with him, informed Carstens that Clancy murdered a man in Cairo less than a year ago. About ten o'clock last night, two of Clancy's companions were also arrested and lodged in jail.

Clancy will be examined before Justice Peters to-day.

The Davenport Democrat, November 18, 1868, page 1.


Terrible Fight Between Desperadoes.

Probable Murder.

A terrible tragedy occurred about dark last night at Cope's saloon, corner of Front and Brady streets, one man receiving a wound which will probably end his life. The facts in the case are these: The steamer Key City arrived yesterday afternoon from Savanna, on her way to St. Louis. She had on board as hardened and reckless a set of deck passengers as had been seen for many months. They were villains and roughs from the North; who had been up there all summer, and were going home to the South. They were represented to be the very worst class of blacklegs and men of evil deeds, who had dark and bloody stains upon their souls. Rumor said that many of them had taken human life more than once. The Key City landed them about the middle of the afternoon. They had not been long on shore before the natural element of demon-ism manifested itself in their actions, and they commenced to quarrel and use hard words towards each other. At about 5 o'clock in the afternoon they appeared to have settled their quarrel and adjourned to Cope's, to take a drink and be friends. Two of the party, named Mike Clancy and James Holden, went in together and stood by the bar. Soon they commenced an altercation, and came to blows and scuffling about the room. Cope went to them, separated them and put one out upon the sidewalk, when he discovered the villain had a large knife. He compelled him to give up the weapon, and then tried to arrest him, but he broke loose and made off. Cope returned to the room and ordered the other one out, but he said faint, "I am hurt--he cut me." Cope immediately set him in a chair and took off part of his clothes until he discovered that Holden had a fearful gash in his left mid near the abdomen, though which the bowels protruded.

At this juncture Constable Carstens appeared, and, after sending for medical assistance to aid the wounded man, he and Cope started after the villain Clancy.

They found him near the ferry dock, apparently waiting a chance to escape across the river. He at first showed fight, but was speedily brought to terms by the sight of a revolver pointed at his head. He was taken into custody by Carstens and marched to jail, where he was at once safely quartered in a secure cell.

Dr. Roundy had in the meantime arrived at the saloon and proceeded to care for the wounded man. He had a flesh wound on the neck, which was not dangerous; but the fatal stab was in the side. He was suffering intolerable agony. The wound was dressed with all the possible dispatch, and relieved him for a time. During the evening, he was, by direction of Marshall Kauffman, removed to the Mississippi House, where he grew rapidly worse. He has been for the most part out of his head and talking wildly. The physicians fear there is a probability of inflammation setting in at the wound, which would speedily close his sufferings.

The would-be murderer, Clancy, is spoken of as a most desperate character. He has openly boasted of killing men for a slight provocation. Late last night two of his companions were arrested and lodged in jail.

Clancy was brought up before Justice Peters this morning for examination, and the annals of our police court fail to show a harder looking case than he was. His bail was fixed at $5,000. If the wounded man Holden should die, of course, there would be no necessity for bail, and there is strong probability that he will not recover. The villain Clancy accordingly goes to jail there to await the fate of his victim.

The Daily Gazette, November 19, 1868, page 4.



Holden, the man who was stabbed by Clancy, as detailed in the Gazette yesterday morning, is alive yet. At the hour of this writing (midnight), he is very low, and his physicians have little hopes of his recovery. He has been removed to the Infirmary on Iowa street.

The Davenport Democrat, Saturday, November 21, 1868

The End of the Tragedy.--

James Holden, the man who was stabbed by Clancy, died to-day. A post mortem examination revealed the fact, that the blade of the knife had penetrated though the abdomen clear to the backbone. From all the information that has thus far been brought to light, it is almost opinion that it was a cold blooded, deliberate murder, and it is to be hoped that the full measure of the law will be meted out without stint to Clancy, the perpetrator of the deed.

Daily Gazette, Saturday Morning, November 21, 1868, page 4.

A PICKPOCKET'S ADMISSION.--When officer Carstens was taking the pickpocket Owen Jones to jail, night before last, the prisoner asked "What did they do with Clancy?" alluding to the rough who all-but murdered Holden the other night. "Oh, the Judge sent him up for ten years!" "Did they?" says the thief, "that's tough on the boy. I saw the whole affair from beginning to end. Was near the parties all the time!"

Jones was mightily astonished yesterday, to find himself in the court room for the purpose of hearing the Judge tell him to enter into recognizance in the sum of $300 to appear as witness in the trail of Clancy, or lay in jail till next February, the time of the trail. The fellow is one of the most thick-headed "Bufe-nappers" in the "profession." He's a regular "bottle-head." The "blokes" will disown him, and that's worse than receiving ten years in prison.

Daily Gazette, Saturday Morning, November 21, 1868, page 4.


Michael Clancy was arraigned for assault with intent to kill. He plead not guilty. Con. Harrington, John Taylor and Owen Jones were required to enter into recognizance in the sum of $800 each to appear as witnesses at the next term of the District Court. The four were sent back to jail. A more villainous-looking quartet never stood before the court in this county.
The Court adjourned sine dis.

Daily Gazette, November 23, 1868, page 4.


Death of the Injured Man.

Testimony at Coroner's Inquest.


James Holden, who was stabbed by Mike Clancy, during an affray in Cope's saloon, on the corner of Brady and Front streets, last Tuesday evening, died at the Infirmary on Iowa street, at 7 o'clock on last Saturday morning. In the afternoon a Coroner's inquest was commenced by Dr. Tomson, Messrs. C. H. Kent, W. F. Kidder and W. A. Remington serving as jurymen.

The first witness examined was Joseph A. Cope, who, after speaking of the entrance of the men into his saloon, said the first he knew of any disturbance, was when the men took hold of each other. He parted them, sat Holden in a chair, and put Clancy out doors. The latter ran back, and was going to put Holden out, when Holden said "I am cut." The witness then detailed Clancy's arrest, much as given in the Gazette the morning after. He said the large blade of the knife Clancy used was five inches in length.

Owen Jones was sworn. He pretended he knew nothing about the affray, and denied ever having told officer Carstens that he knew all about it.

John Taylor testified that he had known the deceased about three years, had steamboated with him, and never knew him to be drunk or in a quarrel. The two had been working on the Addie Johnston for about a week. On Tuesday about 5 P.M. witness, Holden, and another deck hand went to Cope's saloon to get a drink. After drinking, conversation was had about a fight in a lumber yard between Clancy and a man named Harrington, during which the latter received a black eye. Holden told Clancy that he was too big a man to be fighting with so small a man. After a quarrel of words, Clancy and Holden clinched. Witness saw Clancy strike Holden on his neck, then saw the knife, and saw the blow on Holden's body with the knife. Witness caught Clancy by the collar, and saw him shut up and drop the knife in Harrington's hands.

Cornelius Harrington was sworn. He said he had been steamboating and rafting for three or four years--his home being in Buffalo, New York. He and Clancy quit the boat last Monday evening. At the time of the stabbing affray he was drunk, and cannot recollect much of it now. Clancy was not drunk.

John Buckley testified that he had called to see Holden after he was cut. Holden said, "There was a fight at a lumber yard,, and a man by the name of Clancy was hunting for a knife to cut a man by the name of "Red."" Holden continued, "I asked Clancy, in the saloon where I was cut, if he found that knife. Clancy says, 'What knife?" I said that knife to cut "Red" with. 'No,' he said, 'but I've got a knife to cut you with.'"

J. C. McCullough testified that Holden told him that Clancy struck him with the knife.

Dr. French testified as to his being called to dress Holden's wounds. He detailed the condition in which he found him on the floor of Cope's saloon, and said he considered it a hopeless case from the first.

Dr. John Hall and Dr. Middleton, testified that they had made an autopsy of the body of James Holden. They found a wound in the left lumbar region penetrating through the walls of the abdomen. There was no lacerating of intestines, but a deposit of lymph was there, the abdomen being full of clotted blood. Upon removing the intestines a wound was found running posteriorly toward the spine, in the muscles of the back. It was about 1 1/2 inches in length. The witnesses gave it as their opinion that the wound caused Holden's death, as they found no disease of the heart or other vital organs, and that Holden died from internal hemorrhage.

The inquest was then adjourned till this morning.

Daily Gazette, November 24, 1868, page 4.


The Coroner's inquest over the remains of James Holden was concluded at the infirmary yesterday forenoon. But one additional witness was examined, and he was the bar-keeper in Cope's saloon. No new facts were elicited. The jury returned a verdict that Holden's death was caused by a wound in the abdomen inflicted with a knife in the hands of one Patrick (Michael) Clancy, the date of the stabbing and death being mentioned.

The evidence before the jury showed that the killing of Holden was one of the most unprovoked crimes on record. There seems not to have been one word on the part of the deceased to provoke an affray. And so it remains a rather mysterious affair.

Clancy is to be examined before Justice Peters to-day. We understand that he has retained J. D. Campbell, Esq., as his attorney.

A James Holden is listed on page 283 of the Tombstone Records of Scott County, Iowa. He is listed as having died on 11-24-1868 res. Davenport. (Dav. Gazette 11-14-1868.) There is no cemetery listed.

Daily Gazette, November 26, 1868, page 4.


The examination of Michael Clancy who killed James Holden, occurred at Justice Petis' office yesterday. Gen. Leake for State, and Messrs. Campbell and Hubbel for the defense. The evidence was the same as that taken before the Coroner. The Justice committed the prisoner to jail, to answer to the charge of murder.


The Daily Davenport Democrat, Friday, February 19, 1869, page 1.


Six Prisoners Dig Though a Twenty-inch Wall.

And Make Their Escape in Daylight.

Full Particulars of the Chase.

Yesterday afternoon at about 4 o'clock one of the most daring and successful jail deliveries that has ever occurred in Scott county, took place, resulting in six of the toughest cases crawling through the wall and taking to the prairies.

The place where they got out was a very weak spot, but, until now, has been considered as secure as any part of the walls. To give a correct idea of the affair, it must be known that the first floor is divided by a wall running north and south, the back part being the jail and the part fronting on Ripley being used for Sheriff's sitting-room and parlors. Though this wall, built of small stone and mortar, and 21 inches thick, the prisoners proceeded in making a hole which let them though into the parlor, fronting on Ripley and Fifth street.

It is supposed that they commenced operations on the wall about 9 o'clock, A. M., when they know that the Sheriff and his assistants would be very busy at Court. With the aid of a pump-handle and some sharp instruments to, to pick out the mortar, they met with very little difficulty in getting though the wall. Once in the parlor to reach the street was much less difficult. They raised a window on the Fifth street side, jumped into the yard, climbed the fence and lit out for liberty.

As soon as they reached Fifth street they were discovered by Mr. Ott, who was assisting in loading a car with lumber near by. Surmising who they were, he started for the jail, and from there went to the Court House and gave the alarm. There was a grand rush for the jail, while only, two, Deputy Sheriff Fold and the janitor, started after the fleeing prisoners, who had by this time reached Gaines street, and, while one, supposed to be the counterfeiter, B. F. Newell, took off down towards the river, the five others struck for the prairies. It was a daring attempt and a bold push, made in open daylight, with a hundred men within call, and the Court in session, ready to sentence most of them to the penitentiary, the conditions of the streets and the heavy fall of snow which continued until eight o'clock alone favored them.

The following are the names of the liberated prisoners:
Michael Clancy, indicted for murder, who was probably the ringleader.

Michael McCoy, found guilty of assault with intent to rob; was waiting sentence.

John Harvey, who had plead guilty to larceny and burglary of Mr. Corkin's jewelry store, was waiting sentence.

B. F. Newell, one of the St. Louis counterfeiters-pal of Alsopp and Mrs. Julia Britton, now in jail. He was waiting trial at the April Term of the United States Circuit Court at Keokuk.

Chaba Buckner, the horse thief who sold J. S. Smith the team, stolen at Maqueketa. He had plead guilty to obtaining money under false pretenses, and was also waiting sentence.

Pat McCann, who had plead guilty to larceny in a hotel room, was awaiting sentence.

There were other prisoners who might have availed themselves of the opportunity of escape, but did not. Some were only in trifling offenses, and as witnesses, and preferred to remain. Alsopp, the counterfeiter, refused to go, fearing he should be caught, and his term in the Penitentiary lengthened on account of the act.

The news was soon known all over the city, and several parties started out into the country to look for the beauties. Adolphus Schultz, who had formerly been turn-key, ran to the Sheriff's stable, saddled his horse, and started out towards Locust St. Near the Fair Grounds, he came upon McCann, and saw three others at a little distance in the fields. Securing McCann, he took him back until he met a policeman, to whom he delivered up his prize, and started back, but was unable to find any of the others.
Buckner was also seen taken, and although it may seem a little strange, by the same man who went to Michigan and brought him here. As soon as Mr. Pearce heard of the escape, he mounted a horse and started in pursuit. Taking Gaines St., he soon passed the city limits, and came upon a man walking along side of a wire fence. As soon as he saw Pearce he jumped the fence and ran. The horse broke the fence and a lively chase ensued, each fence giving the prisoner a new start. He came up with him several times but he was determined not to be taken. A revolver finally quieted him so as to allow of handcuffing. Several attempts were then made to escape. There was much cursing and holding back on the part of the prisoner, until Mr. Pearce got out of patience with him, and so putting the handcuffs on to one of his hands and fastening it to the stirrup he trotted into the city. It is perhaps needless to say the prisoner arrived at about the same time.

Unfortunately for Sheriff Schnitger, he has been lame for a few days, and was unable to join in the pursuit of his boarders. Deputy Sheriff Fied and officers of the police force went into the county last night, looking after them, but were unable to come up with any of them in the vicinity of the city. It is to be hoped that they will be taken, and especially Chancy, the murderer, who is a desperate fellow. Whoever takes him wants to be on their guard.

We learn from Mr. Dave LeClaire, who lives in the western part of the city, that two of the runaways stopped at this house about 8 o'clock last evening. They came in without rapping, evidently not expecting to find any man about the house, but seeing their mistake, immediately left. Their tracks this morning showed that they went in the direction of Black Hawk. The probabilities are that they will keep close to the river, and make their way to Muscatine, or they may still be skulking about the city. Up to 4 o'clock this afternoon nothing further has been learned of their whereabouts.

Daily Gazette, Friday, February 19, 1869, page 4.


Six Prisoners Dig Though a Stone Wall and Escape.

Two of them Recaptured.


Exciting Chase--Full Particulars.

At a quarter before four o'clock yesterday afternoon occurred the boldest escape of prisoners ever recorded in the annuals of the Scott County jail. Six of the worst characters in the prison--a murderer, a burglar, a counterfeiter, a horse thief, a robber, and a thief--bid the premises good by, and went over the hills and far away. The following are the particulars of the escape of the gentry, commencing with the


At the hour named above, Wilhelm Ott, an employee in French & Davis' lumber yard, was assisting in loading a car when he saw three men jump over the picket fence on the north side of the jail and cross Fifth street. They halted on the side walk opposite the jail for several minutes. Ott supposed they were loafers who had been talking with female prisoners at the upper windows and were driven away. But when three other hard looking chaps also leaped the fence and ran to the others, he at once knew that they were escaped prisoners, and he put for the jail. The ex-prisoners rushed down Fifth street to Scott, up Scott to Sixth, down Sixth to Gaines, and thence up the bluff. Ott ran to the Sheriff's office in the Court House, and told of the escape. The news was heard in the court room and there was a universal rush for the jail. Deputy Feid and Janitor Tischner went on the trail of the fleeing villains, but all the rest of the hundred men stopped at the jail. The sheriff was suffering with a lame ankle, and could not do more than hope for the catching of his stray boarders. A few persons were admitted into the jail, and they learned


To get at a correct understanding of the delivery a knowledge of the apartments of the jail is necessary. The first floor of the front portion of the building is divided into a hall, which leads into the jail proper, and two rooms, the south one being a reception room or office, and the north one constituting the parlor of the Sheriff's residence. These apartments are separated from the jail by a stone wall twenty-one inches in thickness, which forms the eastern boundary of the hall in front of the south side range of cells. In the southwest corner of the hall is an iron pump, the handle of which is of wrought iron and about three feet long. The prisoners broke the fastening of the handle with some implement or other, and went to work to dig a hole through the wall which separated them from the parlor. At what time this operation was commenced is not known, but it was near noon. And now it may be said that the wall is an astonishingly weak affair. It is composed of rubble lime-stone, just such as is put into ordinary cellar walls, none being large and square. The interstices are filled with mortar or cement. Manifestly it could not have been very difficult work to pick a hole though the wall. Using a knife or a similar tool, the prisoners dug out the mortar and with the pump handle as a lever, pried out the rock, which they carried to the privy vault at the other end of the hall. Having made a hole large enough to permit the passage of their bodies, the six prisoners crawled through into the parlor, raised a window on Fifth street side, jumped into the yard, scaled the fence, and went off as related above.

It was a bold deed for a broad-day light one. Yet they chose the very best time possible. The Sheriff, his deputy and other assistants were all in attendance at court, being unusually busy yesterday in subpoenaing witness; consequently their opportunity was an excellent one--far better than it possibly could have been at any other period. The street, too, was entirely deserted, the miserable weather and the mud and slush keeping everybody within doors who was not obliged to be out.


of the escaped prisoners, and the crimes for which they were committed, are as follows:
First, and worst, was Michael Clancy, indicted for murder. He opened the bowels of James Holden, in a fight in a saloon, corner of Front and Brady streets, last November. Holden died two or three days afterwards. Clancy looks like a murderer. Has a bullet head, reddish face, and brutal physiognomy. He was probably the leader in the plot, as he has been in jail many a time before.
Michael McCoy was another of the gang. He was tried for an assault with intent to rob, on last Monday, was found guilty, and was awaiting his sentence. He, with a man unknown, knocked a stranger down on Front street, one night last July, and robbed him of his pocket book.

Benj. F. Newell, the counterfeiter, was also with the party. He was brought here from St. Louis with Alsop, last week, and was awaiting the April term of the United States Court at Keokuk for trial.

John Harvey, the burglar, who entered Corken's jewelry store on the night of the 31at ult., also went with the party. He had plead guilty to larceny and burglary, and was awaiting sentence.

Elisha Buckner, the horse-thief, who had plead guilty to obtaining money under false pretenses, also escaped. But he is now in his cell again, as will be seen presently.

Pat McCann, who had plead guilty to larceny, having slept in a hotel room last summer, which he robbed, also got away and--got back again.


Half an hour after the delivery, Mr. A. L. Pearce, of Smith's livery stable, Commercial Alley, heard of the affair--he it was who followed Buckner to Jackson, Mich., and arrested him and brought him back to Davenport--and mounting a saddle horse he put in the direction the jail birds had flown. Away out on Gaines street beyond the city limits, he saw a man walking alongside of a wire fence. The man turned and looked at him, leaped the fence and put for a corn field. He had three hundred yards the start, but Pearce had a horse. The animal broke down the wire fence and fell. Soon righted again, Pearce gained on the fellow till he recognized his old friend Buckner. Over another fence went the fleeing thief, and the horse in attempting to clear it went down again. Buckner gained time reached a knoll and went into a valley and laid down in the brush. Pearce came up, Buckner says, "Pearce,-----you shall not take me again," and was upon his feet and away. Three hundred yards or more, and Pearce again came near the gent, pulled a revolver and said, "Come to me!" Buckner shouted, "Don't Point that at me!" "Come to me I say!" and Buckner came. So his friend Pearce had the darbies on "him', and started him on ahead. Buckner stooped down, wet his hands with snow, and slipped off one hand cuff, Pearce fixed them so he couldn't repeat the feat. Then Buckner cursed him till the air was fairly blue, and swore the most terrible oath that if ever he should get out of prison he would have Pearce's "heart's blood, every drop of it." Then he commenced getting backward about coming forward, and Pearce dismounted, released one of Buckner's hands, and fixed the wristiet in the stirrup, mounted again, and Buckner had to come. He commenced his threats again, and the horse trotted--so did Buckner, through mud and slush until threats creased. And so on down Harrison street to jail, where the Sheriff was very glad to welcome him, and iron him and cell him. Pearce deserves great praise for his arrest of Buckner, and no doubts the county will give him substantial tokens of appreciation for his successful efforts.

As soon as he heard of the delivery, Adolph Schultz, an ex-bailiff, who was in the court room, ran to the Sheriff's stable, mounted a horse, and followed after the jail-birds. Out on Locust street near the Fair Grounds he came up to McCann, and saw three others in the corn field. He took McCann to the corner of 16th and Harrison, put him in charge of a policeman--who brought him to jail-- and went back after the others. But they had disappeared. Important duties required his presence in town, and he could not continue the hunt. He also is entitled to praise for his alacrity in chasing and securing one of the prisoners.


Deputy Feid, Officer Delancy and several others went into the country last night searching for the fleeing convicts. The region north of the city was roused by them, and if the birds escape entirely they will have to be smart. One of them, Newell, it is supposed, turned on Gaines street, and put towards the river.


served a jail breaking purpose one year ago last summer, when it was used to wrench off bolts and other fastenings of iron doors.


some weeks ago, Buckner says, and was broke to him in two days after he was lodged in the jail. He blowed a great deal as to his knowledge of the whereabouts and intentions of his escaped companions, and threatened to die rather than divulge. Nous verrons.

We hope to learn of the capture of the other scamps, Clancy especially, before our next issue.

Daily Gazette, Saturday, February 20, 1869, page 4.


The Funny Part of the Affair--The Drinks--The Treat--Stuck in the Hole--A Bold Counterfeiter--

Whereabouts of the Uncaptured.

The jail delivery day before yesterday, was not wholly a serious affair. There were some humorous features connected with it, which caused the fleeing scamps themselves, in a hurry as they were, to stop and laugh. Owing to repairs in other rooms, the Sheriff had been using the parlor into which the prisoners entered from the jail as a sleeping room. In the room was a jug which contained a half gallon of good brandy. Clancy was the first man through the hole, and he spied the jug. He seized it, and as his partners put their heads though the aperture he placed the jug to their lips, and treated them. After all had got a good sup the jug was passed though into the jail for the remaining prisoners, who drank to the success of the enterprise upon which their departed companions had entered.


McCoy is a broadly built fellow, and did not get though the hole easily. In fact he stuck, and for some time could get neither one way nor the other. Clancy and Harvey pulled him, and Buckner and McCann pushed him, but he couldn't stir. It was a nice fix to be in at such a time. Clancy grew desperate at last, and stuck a pin into McCoy, who gave a sudden and desperate twitch to his shoulders, loosened himself and went though. But he tore the coat and shirt off his shoulders in so doing, and bruised his shoulders considerably.

Another thing about Alsopp, the counterfeiter. He was connected with the escaping gang, but was the last to try the hole.--Just as he had placed his head into it, the front door bell was rung. He was alarmed and drew back. In a minute more it was all up with him. The alarm had been given. The next thing he knew he was ordered to his cell.


Alsopp's pal, Newell, who escaped, did the boldest thing connected with this very bold delivery. About six o'clock, two hours after he had escaped, he entered the saloon at the corner of Fifth and Harrison streets, and sat there a full half hour, enjoying a beer and lunch as unconcernedly, to all appearances, as though he was an innocent citizen, and as if the dozen men who were doing their best to find him were not in existence. From what direction he reached the saloon is not known, and what direction he took when he left it is equally unknown. But that he was there, the Sheriff feels certain.


Yesterday the Sheriff discovered that one of the iron bars which form a casing to one of the entrances to the jail halls had been broken off from the bottom, and used in loosing the rock. The prisoners had cut a bolt which held it at the bottom, and broken it off at a rivet above, thus securing a bar three feet long. It bears evidence of having seen good service in stone and mortar business. A piece of rod iron, resembling a coal stove poker, was also found, which had been used in the hole business. One of the prisoners says that an adze was among the implements employed, though the tool has not been found yet. How the rod, the adze, and the knife, mentioned yesterday, came into the possession of the prisoners, is a mystery.


of, or rather search for the freedom loving criminals was maintained with vigor all day yesterday. What became of Baker and Newell is not known, as no trail of them has been found. But Clancy and McCoy have been tracked to the vicinity of Buffalo. Upon leaving Gaines street they went westwardly, across Mitchell's bluff, though the grounds of Messrs. Davenport, Dillion, Fejervary and Glasbell, and into Wrights woods, where they tramped about considerably. About eight o'clock two men, answering their description, were at the house of Mr. David LeClaire, merely entering and leaving immediately. Between 9 and 10 o'clock they crossed a bridge near Mr. Sower's in Buffalo township, having wandered along the river bank, as tracks seen yesterday morning show. They slept in a barn near Buffalo the rest of the night. Just before dawn they were seen in a skiff trying to cross the river this side of Buffalo. The ice caused them to put back, since which time no trace of them has been found. Thus ends the second chapter of the Jail Delivery.


Was expected by the prisoners is evident from the following note, found concealed in the drawers of Michael Manahan, who was released from the jail on Friday, after having been held on a charge of forgery, the Grand Jury failing to convict him. Fanagan, to whom it is addressed, was discharged from jail last December, and was in town this week:
Burn this note.

Davenport, Feb. 16, 1869.
James Flanagan Dear friend I wish you would do what you said you would and right away as mike McCoy got tried yesterday and got convicted and he is certain he will go down but he don't know how long
From your friends

Daily Gazette, Saturday, February 20, 1969, page 4.



J. S. RICHMAN, Judge
M.D. SNYDER, Clerk.
Sentencing of the prisoners:
Elisha Buckner, who hired a livery team at Maquoketa, and sold it in Davenport to Mr. J. S. Smith, and who had plead guilty to an indictment of obtaining money under false pretenses, received eighteen months in the penitentiary.

Patrick McCann, who robbed a room mate in a hotel last summer, got two years in the penitentiary.

These parties were among the scamps who broke jail, day before yesterday, and the Judge alluded to the expectation that that act would insure them greater punishment than they would otherwise have received. He said that breaking jail was not taken into consideration in sentencing them. They had not been tried for the act. Furthermore it is the duty of the county to provide a secure place for the confinement of malefactors. If prisoners saw an opportunity for escape, it was but natural that they should seize it, and get away if possible.

Daily Davenport Democrat, Saturday, February 20, 1869, page 1.



Lost in a Snow Storm.


About noon, to-day, G. J. Halbert, constable of Buffalo township, Daniel Stapleford, and Erie Dodge of Buffalo, came into the city, bringing two of the escaped prisoners, Clancy the murderer, and Michael McCoy, the robber, whom they had captured some eighteen miles down the river, near the Dr. Merry place. They had tracked them though the fields and timber and came upon them last evening about dark at a place kept by a man named Far, a kind of burglars retreat--a half way house between this city and Muscatine. When taken, McCoy was in bed, and Clancy was just preparing to retire.

They made no resistance, probably, because they did not like the looks of certain instruments of death in the hands of Mr. Halbert and Stapleford, who looked like men with whom it wouldn't be safe or pleasant to trifle under the existing circumstances. When captured they seem to take it very coolly and laid their mishap all to the snow storm. On the night of their escape they were lost in the storm and after wandering about all night, found themselves in the morning within a mile and a half of the city. Righting themselves, they again started down the river.

Yesterday, Mr. Ed Mills and Policeman Seirns notified Constable Halbert to be on the lookout for them. With the add of Mr. Dodge he found their track and captured them as above.

We visited the jail this afternoon and saw the beauties. Sheriff Schnitger has given them some substantial jewelry to wear, besides giving them the executive use of a room each. Their diet will also be somewhat modified.

Clancy was exceedingly desirous, when captured, of getting back in time to have his trial at this term of court.

They admit that they were the two principals in the escape and were the first to go through the opening in the wall. They had their plans all well matured and knew just when to put them into operation to make them successful. McCoy, it seems, is the author of the plan and would have put it in operation some time ago if Davenport, the forger, had favored the project. Parties are in pursuit of the other two prisoners, and we hope to be able to announce their capture in our next issue.

Daily Gazette, Sunday, February 22, 1869, page 4.


Clancy and McCoy Again in Jail.

How They were Caught--A Wakeful Snorer--Interesting Incidents.


Those very precious wanderers, Michael Clancy, the murderer, and Michael McCoy, to have and to hold whom is of so much importance, just now especially, and at any other time when life and property are worth caring for, are safe in jail again. They were captured late on Friday night by Messrs. G. J. Halbert and Erie Dodge, of Buffalo township, in the house of the "Fox family," nine miles south of the village of Buffalo. The worthies had been tracked by them the whole distance from Buffalo, hardly a rod of the distance being on the public thoroughfare, but some distance off across fields, through sloughs and woods, up hill and down hill, till they reached the hole of the Foxes, where the two chappies proposed to enjoy a night's rest before pursuing their flight from justice.

It seems that when the pursuers reached the place, McCoy, utterly worn out, had retired but Clancy had taken a notion to step out and survey the premises before following his companion's example. He opened the door and revealed himself before the light within, and then walked down towards the gate. Just then Halbert sprang to the gate and pointing a shot-gun at Clancy told him to go back into the house. Clancy assumed an air of astonishment and commenced parlying, when the ominous click of the hammer, followed by another warning, caused him to about face instanter, and start back to the house with both Halbert and Dodge only a gun's length in the rear. Clancy would have shouted a note of warming, but a stern, "Not a word." from his captors silenced him. McCoy was an astonished individual when the party entered the house.

Clancy was put in bed with McCoy, and Messrs. Halbert and Dodge kept watch by turns. Both prisoners were terribly sound asleep in five minutes, snoring so as to be heard all over the house. That game didn't win. The guard sat in a chair with weapons handy. Every once in a while his head would drop upon his breast, as if asleep, but with half-closed eye directed towards the bed. Suddenly Clancy's bazoo would crease its music, the covering would rise gently from his head, and in a few minutes more the head would rise too, with eyes bent on the supposed-to-be slumbering watchman. Then the latter's head, with open eyes, would jerk back--down Clancy's head would go, and the bazoo would commence its bass again in a second. Thus the guard amused themselves twenty times during the night. Tired and foot sore as he was, Clancy was not once, during the night, so sound asleep but that he was wide awake the instant the guard pretended to slumber.

After day-light the prisoners were placed in a wagon and brought to the city, accompanied by their captors and Mr. Daniel Stapleton. Sheriff Schnitger gave his truant boarders a cordial welcome--was very glad to see them again, promising them more secure quarters, if not just as agreeable a bill of fare as formerly.

Clancy and McCoy tell an interesting story of their wandering. On Thursday night they nearly froze. After walking and wading below Rockingham, they became confused, and took a back track towards the city,--never knowing their direction till when within two miles of the city they recognized a house they had passed before. They then went west again, and at dawn tried to find a boat with which to cross the river. They got into one, but dared not cross, and then went away from the road into the back country, and walked to Fox's. Clancy says McCoy was a great hindrance, and gave up half a dozen times. If he had not waited to assist and encourage him, he thinks he would have eluded pursuit and made good his escape. Clancy confirms Buckner's statement that the plan for escape was concocted months ago, and would have been consummated weeks ago since had the other prisoners been courageous enough to make the attempt. At last the court opened, and all noticed the absence of the jail officials, caused by duties outside, so they tried and succeeded and--then failed.

Harvey, the burglar, and Newell, the counterfeiter, are still at large. Nobody knows the direction the latter took. The former is very weak with disease, and it is thought he is not far away.

All the recaptured criminals now wear anklets and bracelets, decorations of which they seem to be proud, though they are not envied by their fellow prisoners on that account.

Daily Gazette, Friday, May 7, 1869, page 4.


Mike Clancy Goes Through Two Stone Walls.



Michael Clancy, the murderer, escaped from jail at some hour between eleven o'clock Wednesday night and six o'clock yesterday morning. At the later hour the jailer opened Mike's cell door, and was astonished to see day light pouring into it as if from a side-window. He saw on the bunk what appeared to be Mike's legs, but upon examining the same, he only found Mike's pants stuffed with straw. At the north side of the cell, a foot from the floor, was a hole in the wall, big enough for Mike or any other man to crawl through. Under Mike's bunk was the solid block of stone which once filled the opening. And through the wall which separates the corridor from the parlor of the Sheriff's residence was another hole through which Mike had forced himself. Once into the parlor all the fellow had to do was to raise a window, a feat which he practiced last February, jump to the ground, scale a fence, and go where he pleased. All this he had done, and was probably miles away from the jail, when the jailer discovered his escape.

Clancy must have been days, if not weeks, in loosing the heavy stone in his jail cell wall. The stone was 24 inches long, 22 inches in width, 11 inches thick, and weighted about three hundred pounds. Layers of just such blocks form the walls of the cells. The cement in which they are laid is one-third of an inch thick. Mike manufactured the tool for removing the cement out of the lower hoop of the slop bucket in his cell. The level which he used to pry the stone from its place after he had loosened it, was procured by him weeks ago, probably, and was formed from a thick bar of iron, which he removed from its place in a cell occupied by him some weeks ago. It was bolted into the rock at the side of the door, the bolts being held by nuts, and was the brace against which the cell door closed. He removed the nuts, pulled the top of the bar forward until it broke near the floor, leaving as handy a lever in his hands as ever man had for jail-breaking purpose. How he procured the bar, after being removed into his new cell, is a mystery. But procure it he did, and it served him well. The mortar which he dug out of the wall was probably thrown into his slop-bucket, and by himself thrown thrown into the vault at the rear of the corridor. It would be interesting to know how long he was at this difficult work. The prying out of the heavy block of stone must have been a very difficult operation. Indeed,it seems almost impossible for it to have been done, without assistance from the outside. But it was removed, sure, and to go though the hole it left was easy enough.

The hole in the outer wall referred to above, was already made for him by stone masons, who are engaged in facing the wall with plates of iron to prevent any more such deliveries as occurred in February last. The wall is twenty-one inches in thickness. The hole made by the masons is ten inches high by twelve inches in width. In the center of it a projecting stone lessons the space by a couple of inches. It is four feet and a half from the floor, and almost fronts his cell. Beneath it stood a carpenter's bench, without which it would have been impossible for Clancy to have poked his body into the hole. But though the place he went somehow, and in doing so he must have received a squeezing like that which Baron Trench experienced in his renowned chimney ascent. The room into which this allowed him was vacant, the furniture having been removed on account of mortar dust. He raised the window at the north side of the room, was upon the ground and over the fence in a minute and--liberty was his. Where is he now the Sheriff would like to know.

The jailer examined Clancy's cell between ten and eleven o'clock Wednesday night, and discovered nothing wrong. On the wall outside of the cell pictures had been posted by Clancy or some one else, and from them hung a paper, which nearly touched the floor, covering the stone upon which he had been operating. The jailer raised the paper but saw no signs of the removal of mortar. In fact Clancy must have left a mere shell of mortar at the exterior, and punched it out when ready to leave.
Day before yesterday the Grand Jury visited the jail. Clancy complained to them of a want of air in his cell at night, and one of them became excited over the matter, and denounced the closing of the plate-iron door at night as a barbarous act. Clancy has air enough now. Yesterday the jury were in the jail again, and not one of them could begin to lift the stone that Clancy took from the wall.

All in all, Clancy's escape forms a remarkable adventure--as much so as any other that has ever allowed a jail bird to go free.
Yesterday several men were dispatched in pursuit of Clancy, but up to a late hour last night no tidings of the fellow had been received.

Daily Davenport Democrat, Thursday, May 6, 1869, page 1.



Another Successful attempt to Break out of Jail.

It is but the other day (in fact, the last term of court) that we had to chronicle the escape of six desperate characters from our county jail, among whom was the notorious Tom (Mike) Clancy who was committed for the murder on Front street. He was recaptured and has since been confined to his cell and heavily ironed, and suspicion of his being able to quit his lodgings would have been laughed at as absurd.--Early this morning, however, on going his rounds Sheriff Schnitger, to his extreme astonishment discovered that the bird had flown. To understand how he accomplished this almost impossible feat, it is necessary to describe affairs at the jail.

To ensure the safety of the prisoners (after the recent escape) it was necessary to line the outer wall of the jail property, which is the inner wall of the official residence, with plates of iron, and for the purpose of securing these with bolts, masons were employed in cutting boltholes though this wall.

One of these, some ten inches square, was at a distance of four feet six inches from the floor, immediately opposite to the escaped prisoner's cell. Doubtless during the day he had watched through the grating of his cell with extreme interest, the progress of this work, and though from certain evidence, he had contemplated trying to escape, yet the sight of so desirable an outlet stimulated those exertions which were crowned with success. At what hour in the night it was accomplished remains unknown, nobody having been alarmed by any unusual noise.

On approaching Clancy's cell whom the Sheriff had seen perfectly safe the evening before, he found that it was empty, a large oblong hole through the thick wall showing the way through not the manner of his going. It appears that he had by some means or other possessed himself of two pieces of light iron looping, from a pail, and which he had transformed into rule saws, these he left in his cell as souvenirs of his flight. With these he had succeeded in removing the mortar (a mere sandy mass of little adhesive power) from the jointing round a stone measuring 22 inches in length, 23 inches in breath and 10 inches in thickness, and by some inexplicable process, had managed to lift this mass of rock weighing over 200 pounds, from its resting place in the wall, and lodging it in the interior of his cell.--Though this hole he crawled and then impossible as it may appear, succeeded in forcing himself through an irregular aperture made by the masons, about ten inches square in the exterior wall, leading into an unoccupied sleeping room attached to the prison. This hole was four feet six inches from the floor, and how he got into it and out of it is more than an acrobat could tell, though a bench on the inside might render some trifling assistance. Once in this room escape was easy, as he had but to cross the room and taking a leap thought a second story window, he was free. His tracks could be traced across the garden, but of course when he gained the highroad nothing could be seen. It was only yesterday that the Grand Jury visited the jail and recommended less close confinement for the prisoner, asking the Sheriff if he would not be perfectly safe without the closing of the iron door of his cell, as they thought it impeded thorough ventilation. Although Major Schnitger did not follow the advice of the Grand Jury, the prisoner did, and succeeded in obtaining certainly a more extended ventilation than they were prepared for. It appears that the prisoner was an expert at removing his frogs, and told the Grand Jury he had got them off before. Whether this be so or not, one thing is certain, he has carried them off with him, either of necessity, or from a partiality formed by an intimate acquaintance. When he was captured after his previous escape, he said that he should try it on again, and that he would not then be taken had it not been for the fall of snow, which compelled him to take refuge in a house.

The Sheriff has sent his men out in all directions in pursuit, but as there is not the lest clue to the road he has taken, the chances of his capture seem very remote. Looking at the circumstances in all points, a more wonderful escape has never been recorded, and its performance justifies our entitling him the Dick Turpin of the West.

Daily Gazette, Monday, May 10, 1869, page 4.


Report of the Grand Jury.


Grand Jury Room, }
May Term, 1869.}

To The Honorable Judge of the District court:

The Grand Jury respectfully report that they have visited the jail of the county, and found it clean and in good sanitary condition--excepting, however, an insufficiency of towels for male prisoners. Of it security they cannot speak favorably, since lately, a large, well-fitted stone, 25 by 21 inches and 10 inches thick, extending quite thought the wall of a cell, was removed from its place by a prisoner confined therein, possibly aided by some person in the corridor, but, so far as ocular evidence reaches, unassisted.

It appears that the particular stone was not secured in its place by dowel pins or clamps, and it is probable that the other stones are alike unfastened. It appears to the jury that it would not be difficult for a person in the jail yard, easily accessible to convey tools through the windows to prisoners having the run of the corridors. They would suggest an armed guard in the corridors of the male department, each night, at which time the prisoners are, or should be confined in their cells and one or more lights placed to show the parts of all the cells, or, as an alternative, the lining of two or more cells with iron.

We would call attention to the fact that a man confined for six months past, as a witness, was at the time of our visit locked in a cell with alleged criminals, and in all particulars treated as a criminal, as acknowledged by a turn-key--a treatment, in the opinion of the Grand Jury, unjust and barbarous.

Foreman of Grand Jury.

Davenport Gazette, Monday Morning, January 8, 1877, page 4.



And it is Asked Whether He is Wanted or Not.


It is eight years ago last November that Michael Clancy became famous in this town. Hundreds of our city readers will remember Clancy. A cooler, bolder, more desperate villain never appeared in the criminal annals of Iowa. He was a short, thick-set, low-browed, red-faced, bullet-jawed, cruel, dare-devil, who had some good points in his make-up.

Clancy was a roustabout on a steamboat; he arrived here about the last of October, 1868. On the 18th of November following, he and another rooster known as "Reddy" had a fight in a lumber yard in East Davenport, which ended when Clancy drew a knife, "Reddy" taking to his heels. Next afternoon Clancy was in a saloon at the northwest corner of Front and Brady streets, when a deck-hand named James Holden entered. He and Clancy got into a quarrel right away. Holden asks, "Have you that knife yet?" "What knife?" queries Clancy. "The knife you pulled on Reddy, d--n you," replies Holden. "Yes, I have." says Clancy, "and it is sharp enough for you"--and he whips out a long knife and slashes Holden across the bowels with it. Holden's intestines protrude and he falls to the floor crying, "I'm killed." while Clancy flees, but is caught not long after at the ferry dock. Holden lived for three days, and then died.

Clancy was placed in jail, where he remained one of the quietest of prisoners till the 19th of February, '69, when he and six other prisoners made their escape by means of a hole which they dug though a privy vault. All were recaptured, however, but one--that one was not Clancy, who was caught near Buffalo three days after; he refused to forsake a fellow prisoner named McCoy, who was lame, else he would have escaped.

After Clancy was back in jail he was kept in close confinement, but somehow he procured tools, and on the 6th of May, 1869, he escaped again. He removed a stone 24 inches long, 22 inches wide, ll inches thick, weighing 300 pounds from his cell wall, got into the corridor, crept through a hole in the jail which was made by the masons who were about to sheathe the wall with boiler iron, got into the Sheriff's parlor, raised a window and was free. Two years after he was heard from--he had killed a steamboat engineer in New Orleans. In the spring of 1868 he had killed a man in Cairo.

Saturday last Chief Martens received this telegram:
Crawfordsville, Ind., Jan. 5.

Do you want Michael Clancy, who killed Cody (Holden) four years ago.
H. P. Enminger.

Chief Martens had no doubt that this Clancy was the escaped murderer, so he telegraphed to hold Clancy for a requisition. Mike has probably learned that there is no capital punishment in Iowa, and so wants to return to Davenport, and get sent to the penitentiary for a living.

The Davenport Democrat, Monday, January 8, 1877, page 1.


His Arrest at Crawfordsville, Ind.--A Requisition will be Made by our Authorities for his Return.

During the sheriffalty of Gus. Schnitger in the fall of 1868, a row occurred in Joe Cope's saloon, corner of Front and Brady, in which a fellow named Michael Clancy stabbed another man named Jas. Holden, from the effect of which he died two or three days afterward. Clancy was arrested, lodged in jail, but made his escape in February following, with six other prisoners. He was recaptured a few days afterwards, put in close confinement, but effected his escape in May of the same year, and has avoided this section of the country ever since. Chief Martens, this (Monday) morning, received a letter from the Marshall of Crawfordsville, Ind., together with a photograph of Clancy, informing him of the arrest, and asking if the Chief recognized the likeness. In his letter the Marshall states that Clancy confessed to him that he had "killed a man in Joe Cope's saloon some four or five years ago, in Davenport, Iowa." The chief telegraphed back that Clancy was wanted here for the murder of Holden, and to hold him until he could get a requisition on the governor of Indiana. Thus, another murderer, after years of wandering is in a fair way of being brought to justice. The murderer and his victim were steamboat hands, and the assault upon Holden was a cold blooded one.

Davenport Gazette, January 9, 1877, page 4.

Chief Martens has received a letter from Marshall Enminger, of Crawfordsville, Ind., containing further information concerning Mike Clancy, mention of whose career here as a murderer of Holden and escaped prisoner were given in yesterday's Gazette. Clancy was in jail at Crawfordsville, and confessed to the Marshall that he killed Cody--meaning Holden, as Cody was the man with whom he fought in the lumber yard. In the letter was a photograph of Mike--a change being, thin-faced, dull looking and broken down, not at all like the stalwart, fat-cheeked, bold, ugly-looking man he was when in jail here. He is evidently nearing the end of physical decline. Whether he will be brought to Davenport or not, is a question. He is probably past power of doing further harm, and he may as well be allowed to remain where he is.

The Davenport Democrat, Tuesday, January 16, 1877, page 1.


Chief Martens is a little anxious about Clancy, the murderer of Holden, who was arrested in Crawfordsville, Ind., some days ago. The details were published in the Democrat some time since. The Chief wrote to the Marshall of that city, giving a minute description of Clancy, and asking the Marshall to telegraph him if it corresponded with the man in arrest. Although plenty of time has lapsed for a return letter, the Chief has not heard a word, and is fearful that Clancy has broken jail, as he is known to be a desperate villain. Yet this seems hardly probable for it was upon his own confession that the Marshall of Crawfordsville was able to notify Chief Martens of his arrest.

The Davenport Democrat, Wednesday, August 20, 1879, page 1.


A Old Ruffian Turns Up After Years of Absence--and Tells What Became of Clancy,

Who Killed Holden--His Confession--A Bloody Villain.

A former and very hard citizen of Davenport turned up at the Fifth street station last evening, brought in by officer Flint. It was no less a person than Joe McClune, who was a ruffian here eight to ten years ago, and gave the police any amount of trouble. His last deed was to cut a man's throat in the bar-room of the Sigel House (now Washington House)--eight years ago. For this he was jailed, but the man recovered enough to be hired to skip, and when the case was called for trial there was no prosecuting witness. When released Joe left the city, and never returned till yesterday. A couple of years before the cutting affair, he attempted to get out of jail one evening by knocking the turn-key down; but the other prisoners refused to join him and he didn't get the keys.

Thus much for Joe. He brings information concerning one of the most desperate murderers ever known in this section. Many readers will remember Mike Clancy, who murdered James Holden in the fall of '68. The two got into a quarrel in the saloon at the northeast corner of Front and Brady streets, and out on the sidewalk Clancy out with a Bowie knife and slashed Holden across the stomach with it, and put for the ferry. But he was caught by Joseph Cope and surrendered to the police. Clancy staid in jail till February,'69, and one day in the month, he, with six other prisoners escaped, and fled in all directions. All were caught except a counterfeiter who was very badly wanted by the U. S. authorities. Clancy was captured some days after in Blue Grass township; he and another prisoner were nearly exhausted, and they surrendered themselves. It was because Clancy stood by his pal, who had hurt his foot on the way, that he was captured. Then Clancy was shut up in a strong cell by Sheriff Schnitger; but in less than a fortnight he was out again--dug a big stone which helped form the wall of his cell from its place, crept though, then got outside just as he did before, by means of a hole dug in the east wall by the prisoners before. This time he wasn't caught. Two years ago his photograph was sent to the Chief of police from Michigan, with the statement that he could be captured, but the prosecuting witnesses were nearly all gone, and it was better to let Clancy remain away. McClune says that Clancy died in a ranch twelve miles south of Leadville, Colorado, last January. Before he died he confessed that he had killed five men with knives, and wounded three others with the intention of killing them. He had a face that was as near like a bull-dog's as a human face could well be.

With McCune was arrested one Charles McCarthy. It is believed that both men have been guilty of a bad deed lately; they were so anxious over their arrest. They were held till this afternoon, when, nothing appearing against them, they were released on condition of their leaving town immediately. And it was seen that they left, too.

Daily Gazette, Thursday Morning, August 21, 1879, page 4.


The intelligence is received from what may or may not be a reliable source that Mike Clancy, the man who murdered Jas. Holden in a quarrel at a Front street saloon some 11 years ago, died last January near Leadville, Colorado. Before his death he confessed to having killed five men with knives.


Collected and Transcribed by

Sus Rekkas


back to History Index