IOWA HISTORY PROJECT
A Narrative History
The People of Iowa
SPECIAL TREATMENT OF THEIR CHIEF ENTERPRISES IN
EDUCATION, RELIGION, VALOR, INDUSTRY,
EDGAR RUBEY HARLAN, LL. B., A. M.
Curator of the
Historical, Memorial and Art Department of Iowa
THE AMERICAN HISTORICAL SOCIETY, Inc.
Chicago and New York
EMANUEL P. ADLER was reared in Ottumwa, began learning the printer's trade at the age of thirteen, and for over forty years has been a prominent figure in Iowa journalism. He was associated with the late A. W. Lee in founding the Lee Syndicate of Newspapers, now published in five states, and at the death of Mr. Lee succeeded him as president of this company. Mr. Adler for over a quarter of a century has been a resident of Davenport, where he is publisher of the Davenport Daily Times.
He was born in Chicago, Illinois, September 30, 1872, and was a small boy when his parents, Philip Emanuel and Bertha (Blade) Adler, moved to Ottumwa, Iowa. He attended school in that town, was an apprentice printer at the age of thirteen and at seventeen had received his card in the typographical union. He learned his trade by working "at the case," before the modern machines for type setting were in use in Iowa. In 1893 he was a reporter for the Ottumwa Courier and later became city editor, then managing editor and business manager of the Courier. The publisher of the Ottumwa Courier was A. W. Lee, who in purchasing the Davenport Daily Times in 1899 established the first unit of the Lee Syndicate of Newspapers. Subsequently he acquired the Muscatine Journal and in 1907 the Tribune at La Crosse, Wisconsin, and the Courier-Post at Hannibal, Missouri. At this point death stopped him in his career and Mr. Adler succeeded him as president and has since greatly enlarged the scope of the Lee Syndicate of Newspapers, which now include in addition to those mentioned the Globe Gazette of Mason City, Iowa. The Democrat and Leader of Davenport, Iowa, the Madison State Journal at Madison, Wisconsin, the Star-Courier at Kewanee, Illinois, the Lincoln Star of Lincoln, Nebraska.
Mr. Adler removed to Davenport and took over the active management of the Daily Times in 1901. The Daily Times has been published as a daily newspaper at Davenport since 1886, succeeding several earlier newspapers, the first of which was a temperance newspaper established in February, 1878. The Daily Times until it was purchased by Mr. Lee was owned by members of the Brady family, E. W. Brady having established the daily. The sons of E. W. Brady later became publishers of McClure's Magazine.
Mr. Adler in addition to being president of the individual publishing companies included in the Lee Syndicate of Newspapers was second vice president of the Associated Press in 1917-18, was president of the Inland Daily Press Associated in 1917-18, was secretary of the Iowa Republican State Central Committee in 1910-12. He is a trustee of the Friendly House at Davenport, trustee of the Davenport Municipal Art Gallery and the Davenport Museum and Saint Luke's Hospital. He is chairman of the Davenport Chapter of the Red Cross. He was one of the organizers of the Greater Davenport Committee and now a member of the Davenport Industrial Commission. He is a member of the Davenport Commercial Club, the Rock Island Arsenal Golf Club and the B. P. O. Elks.
On February 5, 1902, the year after coming to Davenport, Mr. Adler married Miss Lena Rothschild, of Davenport. They have one son, Philip David, who finished his education in the University of Iowa and is now publisher of the Star Courier at Kewanee, Illinois.
ALBERT E. ADY is a physician and surgeon who was associated in practice with his father, Dr. Emmett Ady, in the firm of Drs. Ady & Ady, occupying a fine suite of offices in the People's State Bank Building at West Liberty.
His is the youngest physician of three Doctors Ady who have practiced at West Liberty covering a period of three-quarters of a century. Dr. Albert E. Ady was born in West Liberty, October 27, 1896. He completed his high school work at Belle Plaine, Iowa, and in 1923 was graduated from the medical department of the University of Iowa. He served as an interne in the Harper Hospital at Detroit during 1923-24, and on completing his training joined his father at West Liberty.
Dr. Albert Ady is a World war veteran and was stationed at the Central Machine Gun Officers Training School at Camp Hancock, Georgia. He is a member of the fraternities of the Masons, Elks, Moose, Royal Arcanum, the Nu Sigma Nu professional fraternity and Delta Chi social fraternity. He belongs to the Johnson County, Iowa State Medical Societies, is a Republican and a Presbyterian.
Dr. Albert Ady married, December 31, 1924, Miss Odette MacKenzie, a native of Canada, daughter of William and Elizabeth (Green) MacKenzie. Her parents were brought from Edinburgh, Scotland, when children to Canada, and her father is a dry goods merchant at Kenora, Ontario.
EMMETT ADY, physician and surgeon, was an Iowa doctor whose experience goes back to comparatively pioneer conditions as affecting the medical practice. He began his work of riding and driving over the country before telephones were known except in the larger towns and cities, and had practiced twenty years before the introduction of automobiles and before any mention was made of good roads.
Doctor Ady, whose home was at West Liberty, was born in that Iowa town December 20, 1854, and represents the second generation of a family of physicians. His father was Dr. Albert Ady, who was born in Belmont County, Ohio, and came to Iowa when still an under-graduate student of medicine. He attended the Starling Medical College at Columbus, Ohio, and Bellevue Hospital Medical College of New York, and practiced medicine in Iowa from before the Civil war until his death on March 20, 1893, at the age of sixty-seven, Dr. Albert Ady married Adelaide Richard, who died October 11, 1926, at the ripe old age of ninety-three.
Dr. Emmett Ady attended high school in Muscatine County, the McClain Academy at Iowa City, and was graduated from the medical department of the University of Iowa, March 2, 1882. He served his internship during 1882-83 in the Bellevue Hospital of New York, and practiced in and around West Liberty forty-six years. Since 1924 he has had his son, Dr. Albert E., associated with him.
Dr. Emmett Ady married, in 1886, Martha Brown, whose father, Edward Brown, was a farmer in Muscatine County. They have two children: Dr. Albert E., and Mrs. Janet Malcolm, who lives at Marengo, Iowa. Dr. Emmett Ady was affiliated with the Knights of Pythias and B. P. O. Elks, was a Republican and a member of the Muscatine County, Iowa State and American Medical Associations. Dr. Ady died March 30, 1929.
ALBIA PUBLIC LIBRARY is an institution that has long been a source of pride to that community. The library was established in 1905, the man chiefly honored by his work in bringing about the results being former Governor N. E. Kendall, who was the first president of the library board and has continuously and generously served as a member through all the years.
The original collection of books was kept in the courthouse until the erection of the present building. The building is the result of a Carnegie donation, and the building site was donated to the library association by Mr. John Z. Evans of Albia. The library was completed in 1908, and for twenty years the library as an institution has continued to serve the Albia public. It contains eighty-seven hundred volumes, a well balanced collection of books, together with magazines, and there is a reference room and also a children's department.
Mrs. Laura M. Duncan, the first librarian, has served through all the years, and all friends of the library appreciate her loyal and efficient service. The present assistant is Miss Edna Gantz. The board of directors consist of the following: W. G. Wood, president; Mrs. Ruth Fall Hollinghead, vice president; R. R. Toby, treasurer; Mrs. Lillian Reddish, secretary; and other trustees are Mrs. Mary Humeston, Mrs. Henrietta D. Canning, Edwin S. Gantz, D. W. Bates and N. E. Kendall. In the year 1930, through the generosity of N. E. Kendall, the first president of the Albia Library Board, a $75,000 addition was made to the library building, adding greatly to its usefulness and beauty.
J. FRANK ALDRICH, M. D. In the thirty-five years since he left medical college Doctor Aldrich has had a constantly enlarging range of opportunity and service in his chosen profession. He has been known as a conscientious and devoted doctor among his private patients, and even more a steadfast friend of the public welfare, a leader in public health work.
Doctor Aldrich, whose home is at Shenandoah, was born near Creston in Union County, Iowa, January 24, 1873, son of Charles and Roxa (Caldwell) Aldrich. His father was a prominent farmer and leader in agricultural affairs in Southwestern Iowa. Charles Aldrich was born in Canada, in November, 1848, son of Chester W. and Sarah A. (Bailey) Aldrich. His parents were also natives of Canada. When Charles Aldrich was seven years of age his mother died. His father married again, and in 1857 came to the United States and settled on a farm at Neponset, Illinois. He was a carpenter by trade. he lived to very advanced years. Charles Aldrich had a common school education. While his father was absent from home in the Civil war he looked after the farm, and in 1865 he also enlisted, but when it was discovered that he was only eighteen years of age he was sent home. He continued farm work four years, and then farmed on his own account for one year. In 1871 he came out to Iowa to take charge of a 200 acre farm owned by a man at Neponset, Illinois. This farm was near Creston, and he remained on it four years. In the meantime, in 1873, he bought eighty acres in Fremont County, Iowa, and in 1875 moved to this place. His most successful years as an Iowa farmer were spent in Fremont County. His wife died in 1896 and later he moved to Shenandoah and for many years was a member and part of the time president of the Shenandoah Fair Association. He was a Methodist and was affiliated with Shenandoah Lodge No. 1122, B. P. O. Elks. Charles Aldrich married Roxa Caldwell, of Batavia, Iowa, in 1872. They were the parents of a family of six children.
Dr. J. Frank Aldrich was three years of age when the family moved to Fremont County. He grew up on his father's farm there, attended the district schools and the Western Normal College at Shenandoah, graduating Bachelor of Science in 1891. He put in some time as a teacher and in the fall of 1894 entered Rush Medical College of Chicago, and during vacations also read medicine under Dr. T. L. Putnam at Shenandoah. He was graduated from Rush Medical College in 1897, and for seven years had a successful country practice at Murray, Iowa. In 1905 he moved to the larger city of Shenandoah, and for a time was associated in partnership with Doctor Putnam. Doctor Aldrich for a number of years has been an outstanding specialist in Southwestern Iowa in internal medicine. He was a leader in his profession in combating the scourge of tuberculosis, and soon after locating at Shenandoah was instrumental in establishing a tent colony to provide open air treatment for tuberculosis patients. A large amount of credit is due him for the establishment of a state sanatorium for the care of tuberculosis patients. His work in this field made him known all over the United States. He acted as examiner for his district for the State Tuberculosis Sanatorium. Doctor Aldrich for the past ten years has been health officer of Shenandoah and is a member of the Social Welfare Board of Page County, and for seven years has been secretary of the Page County Medical Society. He is also a member of the Iowa State, the Southwestern Iowa, Missouri Valley and American Medical Association. Fraternally he is affiliated with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Woodmen of the World, and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is serving on the church board.
Doctor Aldrich married in 1897 Miss Fannie McGogy, of Shenandoah. They have three children. The son, Lester, who attended high school at Shenandoah, is now located at Park Ridge, Chicago, Illinois, and married Marjorie Hevelin, of Clarinda, Iowa, and has two children, Jack Wesley and Charles Edward. The daughter Kathryn Aldrich is the wife of William Bishop, chemist for the Staley Products Company of Decatur, Illinois, and they have a son, William. The third child of Doctor and Mrs. Aldrich is Frances, attending the Junior High School at Shenandoah.
EDWARD T. ALFORD, M. D., has been established in the successful practice of his profession in his native City of Waterloo during a period of nearly a quarter of a century and is one of the representative physicians and surgeons of Blackhawk County. His ancestral record closely and prominently touches the early Colonial history of New England. He has the distinction of being a lineal descendant of the historic Puritans, John and Priscilla (Mullens) Alden, whose youthful romance is effectively told in Longfellow's poem entitled The Courtship of Miles Standish.
Doctor Alford was born in Waterloo on the 29th of July, 1875, and is a son of Hon. Lore Alford and Lilla (St. John) Alford. His paternal grandparents were Col. Nathaniel and Deborah (Cushman) Alford, the latter of whom was a daughter of Nathaniel and Lucia (Howlands) Cushman. Nathaniel Cushman was a son of Joseph and Deborah (Ring) Cushman and his mother was a daughter of Andres and Judith (Standish) Ring. Andrew Ring was a son of Ebenezer and Judith (Standish) Ring. Ebenezer Standish was a son of Alexander and Sarah (Alden) Standish, the latter of whom was a daughter of John and Priscilla Alden, while Alexander Standish was a son of Miles Standish, the other principal in the previously mentioned poem by Longfellow.
Hon. Lore Alford was born in the town of Hope, Knox County, Maine, March 8, 1838, and his death occurred at his home in Waterloo, Iowa, March 30, 1900. His early education was acquired in his native stare and he was a student in Union College, Schenectady, New York, when the Civil war broke out. He promptly subordinated all personal interests to the call of patriotism, an din May, 1861, enlisted for service in defense of the Union. He was assigned to Company A, Sixteenth New York Volunteer Infantry, which became a part of the Army of the Potomac. With his command Mr. Alford participated in the first battle of Bull Run and in various skirmishes in the summer and fall of 1861. In January, 1862, he was detailed for service in the Signal Corps and entered the camp of instruction at Georgetown, D. C., where he passed the winter. In April, 1862, he was sent with a detachment of the Signal Corps to join Gen. Benjamin F. Butler at Ship Island, and later he accompanied his unit to New Orleans. In June, 1862, the governor of his native state of Maine commissioned him first lieutenant of Company H, Eighth Maine Volunteer Infantry, and he joined this regiment at Beaufort, South Carolina. He then took part in the expedition that resulted in the capture of Jacksonville, Florida, and in the fall of 1863 and the ensuing winter he served as judge advocate at Beaufort and Hilton Head, South Carolina. In March, 1864, he was appointed a member of the staff of the general who was in command of a division of the Tenth Army Corps, and he was soon afterward assigned to the Army of the James, with which he took part in the various engagements leading up to the battle of Drewry's Bluff, where he fell from his horse, which kicked him and caused injuries that necessitated his spending two months in a hospital. He then rejoined his Maine regiment, which had been attached to the Eighteenth Army Corps, and with it he participated in the seige of Petersburg and other engagements, the latter of minor order. His term expired and he received his honorable discharge October 14, 1864, his service having thus covered nearly the entire period of the war.
After the close of his military career Captain Alford resumed the study of law, and in 1866 he came to Iowa, was admitted to the bar of the state and engaged in the practice of his profession as one of the pioneer members of the Waterloo bar. He soon gained prominence in his profession and in public affairs and in 1878 he was elected representative of Blackhawk County in the State Legislature. In 1880 he was again elected and at the ensuing session he was chosen speaker of the House of Representatives. He was stalwart as a supporter of the principles of the Republican party and was influential in its Iowa councils many years. He long continued in the active practice of his profession in Waterloo and was one of the prominent and honored members of the Iowa bar at the time of his death, March 30, 1900. He was long and prominently affiliated with the Grand Army of the Republic and held membership in the Blackhawk County Bar Association and the Iowa State Bar Association.
In the City of Chicago, on the 29th of March, 1871, was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Alford to Miss Lilla St. John, daughter of Elon and Julia (Burton) St. John, who were born in the State of New York and who established their residence in Waterloo, Iowa, in 1869. Mrs. Alford received the advantages of Cornell College, at Mount Vernon, Iowa, and she was long a gracious figure in the social and cultural life of her home City of Waterloo. She died September, 1928, at Waterloo.
After his graduation in the East High School of Waterloo Dr. Edward T. Alford took a course in the Northwestern School of Pharmacy, in which he was duly graduated. In 1896 he received from Rush Medical College his degree of Doctor of Medicine, and thereafter remained two years in Chicago as an interne in the Baptist Hospital. He then passed a year in post-graduate study in the medical department of the great University of Vienna, Austria, and after his return to Chicago he was there associated with Dr. Bayard Holmes in the practice of his profession during a period of three years. In 1908 he returned to Waterloo, Iowa, and here he has continued his representative professional activities during the intervening years. He has specialized in surgery and established a wide reputation for his skill in this field. He is an influential member of the Blackhawk County Medical Society, and has membership also in the Iowa State Medical Society and the American Medical Association, and is a Fellow of the American College of surgeons, Doctor Alford is consulting surgeon for the Illinois Central Railroad; division surgeon for the Chicago and Great Western Railroad, chief surgeon for the Waterloo, Cedar Falls & Northern Railroad, and local surgeon for the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad. His political support is given to the Republican party but he has no desire for pubic office. Doctor Alford through his own personal efforts, succeeding in securing the contributions necessary to the establishment of Allen Memorial Hospital at Waterloo, the principal donation being obtained from H. B. Allen, an old resident of Waterloo.
January 17, 1906, recorded the marriage of Doctor Alford to Miss Elizabeth Williston, who was born October 27, 1881, at Manchester, Iowa, a daughter of Melville and Mary Louise (Merritt) Williston, a granddaughter of Timothy Williston, and a great-granddaughter of Rev. Seth Williston, who was born in Massachusetts, and was graduated from Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire, and there ordained a clergyman of the Presbyterian Church. He served thirty-two years as pastor of the Presbyterian Church of Durham, New York. His son Timothy graduated from Williams College in Massachusetts and likewise became a Presbyterian clergyman, and held various pastoral charges in the State of New York, he having been a resident of Ashland, that state, at the time of his death and the maiden name of his wife having been Isabella Tyler. Melville Williston was seventeen years of age when, in 1864, he left the preparatory school in which he had been a student, in Ohio, and enlisted for service in a regiment of Wisconsin volunteer infantry. He accompanied his command to the front and with it continued in active service until the close of the Civil war. He later came to Iowa and established his home at Manchester. During the long period of thirty-two years he was retained as one of the leading traveling salesmen for the Dubuque wholesale house of H. B. Glover & Company, and after his retirement he continued to reside at Manchester until his death, at the age of seventy-four years. His wife was born at Angelica, Allegany County, New York, a daughter of Sidney and Nancy (Hickok) Merritt and a granddaughter of Peter and Abigail (Whipple) Merritt, the latter having been a daughter of Ethan Whipple, whose father, Capt. Benjamin Whipple, commanded a company of patriot soldiers in the War of the Revolution. Ethan Whipple married Abigail Hawkins, daughter of Charles and Sarah (Olney) Hawkins, the latter a daughter of James and Hannah (Winser) Olney. Hannah Winser was a daughter of Samuel Winser, Jr., and Mary (Harding) Winser, and her father was a son of Samuel and Mary (Williams) Winser, the latter of whom was a daughter of Roger and Mary (Warnard) Williams, her father having been distinguished Revolutionary patriot, as history records. Mrs. Alford graduated in 1904 from Oberlin College Oberlin, Ohio, with the A. B. degree. She is director of the Third District of the Iowa Federation of Women's Clubs.
Doctor and Mrs. Alford have two children, Lore Williston Alford, born October 15, 1906, graduated from Shattuck Military School at Raribault, Minnesota, in 1924, and graduated from Dartmouth College in 1928, with the B. S. degree, and is now with the Guarantee Company of New York in Chicago. Mary Eleanor, born February 18, 1914, is attending the Emma Willard School at Troy, New York, in the class of 1931.
MANNING L. ALLEN as a physician and surgeon has practiced in Tama for over forty years. He is a son of a pioneer Iowa doctor, and their careers overlapped for a number of years, and in the aggregate the Allen family has been represented by capable physicians and surgeons in this state for over eighty years.
His father was Dr. L. F. Allen, who was born at Saratoga Springs, New York, and was brought out to Iowa when a young boy. He returned East to get his education, and was graduated from the medical department of the University of Rochester, New York. For a time he practiced at Ottawa, Illinois, and during the early 1850's came to Iowa and in 1860 located at Columbus City. For years he performed all the service of a country doctor, riding and driving night and day regardless of the condition of roads or the weather, and, like many other pioneer doctors, his skill in administering medicine was supplemented by his cheerfulness and benevolence of his character. He had to his credit a professional career of more than half a century when he retired in 1909. His last years were spent with his son at Tama, where he died in 1912, at the age of eighty-six. Dr. L. F. Allen married Harriett Litsey, who passed away in 1824, at the age of seventy-nine. There were seven children in the family, two of them becoming doctors. Dr. L. E. Allen is a well known medical man in Des Moines.
Dr. Manning L. Allen was born at Wapello, Louisa County, Iowa, November 14, 1862. He graduated from the School of Medicine of the University of Iowa in 1883. In 1893 he received a second degree from the University of Illinois. He has taken four extended post-graduate courses, attending the Chicago Post Graduate College, the Illinois Post Graduate College, and spent some time in the Woman's Hospital in Chicago. His work has been that of a general physician and surgeon, and he enjoys a wide reputation among other members of the profession and the public for his skill in rectal diseases and surgery.
Doctor Allen paid his expenses through school and college. At one time he taught school in Greene County, Iowa. While in Illinois he taught singing classes, operated a pile driver and took other employment that would enable him to make his expenses and tide him over the period until he was qualified for his chosen line of work. Doctor Allen first practiced at Manila, Iowa, locating there after graduating in 1883, and in 1887 moved to Tama. He is a member of the Tama County, Iowa State and American Medical Associations and is a charter member of the American Association of Railway Surgeons, having acted as local surgeon for the Milwaukee Railway since 1889.
Tama citizens often think of Doctor Allen in other relationships than as a professional man. For eight years he gave the value of his effort and counsel to running the local city government. He is a member of the Commercial Club and during the World war was enrolled in the Medical Reserve Corps. He is a trustee of the Baptist Church, a past chancellor commander of the local lodge Knights of Pythias, and has sat in the Grand Lodge of that order.
He married Miss Sarah Rebecca Rambo, of Lamoille, Illinois. Frances R., the oldest of their three children, showed as a girl special gifts in music and was educated in that line at Leander Clarke College at Tama and Knox College at Galesburg. She is now the wife of Earl Spooner, of Tama. The son, Raymond M., now located at Long Beach, California, was with the Aviation Corps during the World war, being chief of the mechanical field at Birmingham, Alabama. The second son, Leonard E., who served overseas with the Hospital Corps in France, is a representative of the Stoner Piano Company of Des Moines at Pella.
CLARENCE EDWARD ALLING. Among the persons whose biographies appear in this work, some are eminent in the sense that they have held high public office or accomplished notable achievements that have attracted wide public attention or are the heads of important concerns. Some of these have achieved their eminence by virtue of their own force of character and ability while others occupy their positions through the efforts of those who preceded them or through a fortunate combination of circumstances. Another here have been but little in the public eye but are nevertheless truly representative of the great substantial class of people whose careers are not favored by any fortuitous circumstances but who overcome innumerable daily obstacles in the important job of contributing their bit as citizens to the sum total of what is the real commonwealth of Iowa and passing on to their children the true ideals of the state and the pioneer. Even through this class of people may not achieve eminence, they are recognized by historians as the real backbone of a nation, and it is altogether fitting that the children of such parents who have labored against considerable odds in order to give them an honorable heritage, good educations and the foundation of noble characters, should desire to have such a career perpetuated in a public record.
In this last group is Clarence Edward Alling, of Keokuk. Only as a result of the insistence of his children does this record appear, as Mr. Alling, himself, feels that he has failed to achieve all that he had hoped and that his career hardly merits public notice. Nevertheless, those who know Mr. Alling and his wife appreciate the fact that they have lived highly useful lives in their community and have passed on to their children and grandchildren a heritage more valuable by far than wealth.
Mr. Alling was born November 24, 1874, in the vicinity of Orion, Richland County, Wisconsin, son of Calvin Porter and Emmarett Evaretta (Perrin) Alling. His gather, Calvin Porter Alling, at the request of his children, compiled, at the expense of considerable labor and with the assistance of his wife, a very interesting family history, the high points of which are recorded here for the ready reference of succeeding generations.
According to this record the family originated in this country in the immigration from England in the days of religious persecution of three brothers, Henry, Jonathan and William Alling, who landed at Plymouth Rock at an uncertain date, not so long after the famous Mayflower. They were of Puritan stock and faith and were among the earliest of the pioneers into the wild, unbroken wilderness of the vicinity of what is now Boston, Massachusetts. Later Henry moved west, William south, and Jonathan, from whom this branch of the family is descended, never heard from either of them again. The records of the next four generations or so have been lost and next came Elisha Alling, of whom but little is known except that he was the father of David Alling, who married Clementina Clapper Judd, thus introducing into the family the Judd line, descendants of a line of English nobility.
It is worthy of note that the family record indicates that they have always been pioneers in spirit. Pioneers seldom remain in one place long enough to reap the financial rewards of their efforts, but they are a type of people highly indispensable to the development of a new nation in a wilderness, not only because they were pioneers but particularly because, wherever they went, they carried with them the rock-ribbed principles of character that have been the true foundation of a great nation. Thus David Alling moved west in 1827 to Ohio, in the then primitive wilderness of what is now the City of Warren. When the family had grown up most of them moved west again, this time to the new frontier of Wisconsin, near Platteville, and David died in Nebraska, where he had gone with his youngest son, Edward. He was nearly ninety years old when he died.
One of the sons of David Alling was Calvin Porter Alling, Senior, born in 1812, and at an early age became famous over a wide area ad a crack marksman and hunter. At about eighteen years of age he became an apprentice in the Remington Gun Works and at about twenty-two years of age invented the world famous Gaintwist rifle, which was immediately adopted by the company and has since been almost universally adopted by gun makers. He never had money enough to patent it and so failed to profit much from it. His son and only child was Calvin Porter Alling, Junior, father of the subject of this review.
Calvin Porter Alling, Junior, has left a most interesting record of his own experiences from boyhood on, which were always of the true frontier type that makes most excellent reading but which can be touched on but briefly here. He was born in Braceville, Ohio, April 2, 1840, and at three years of age moved with his father to Grant County, Wisconsin, and at six years of age made a long trip with his parents to visit relatives, traveling by stage coach, boats and other pre-railroad methods of travel over four states. While on this trip he saw his first railroad train, at Cincinnati, Ohio, probably the first railroad west of the Alleghenies. He served in the Federal army during the Civil war for a continuous period of four years, one month and twenty days. He participated in many important battles.
He married Emmarett Evaretta Perrin, daughter of Aaron Perrin and granddaughter of Solomon Perrin, of Marseilles, France, a descendant of a family of title and estates, well known in the early history of France. Solomon Perrin was an artist and a gentleman of leisure. On a visit to the United States he met Miss Sarah Neal Bott, of Virginia, whose father was so proud of her beauty that he engaged the young artist to paint her portrait, being a man of means and a large slaveholder. The two fell in love and when married were given a beautiful home by the bride's father, where all manual labor was carried on by slaves, who were so well treated by the young master and mistress that their loyal devotion to them was extraordinary. Thus they were free all their lives to enjoy life, and love and art and to raise a charming family. In this way there was introduced into the family another strain somewhat different from the pioneer love of adventure, namely, the love of the aesthetic and the domestic.
On his return from the Civil war Calvin Porter Alling, Junior, bought eighty acres of timber land in Richland County, Wisconsin, to which he moved his bride and where they lived for three years, later moving to the vicinity of Orion, Wisconsin, where Clarence Edward was born, the fifth of a family of then children. Of the others five have died and the remaining four are: Charles Calvin, Aaron Angelo, Sarah Florence and Alfred Tennyson.
In 1880, when Clarence Edward Alling was six years of age, the family moved to Bloomington, Illinois, in a covered wagon, the family being so large that the boys, even the six-year-old, walked most of the way alongside the wagon. At Bloomington the boy received his first business experience, by selling newspapers at a tender age. After a short stay in Bloomington the family moved on, again by covered wagon, to Southern Kansas, in the Flint Hills of Cowley County, a very stony, hilly piece of grassland. In this frontier country he had to walk three miles to school, generally barefooted.
At fourteen years of age Mr. Alling worked at his first regular job on a ranch, at eight dollars per month. He attended high school at Burden, Kansas. During vacation periods he sold books and Bibles and even school furniture, completing his high school work in Wichita, Kansas, about 1890. He also attended Fairmont College, now Friends College, in the same city for a few terms.
He then began his business career in the grocery business in Wichita, an din 1896 moved to Perry, Oklahoma, where he was engaged for a number of years in the real estate and insurance business and also in the nursery business, in partnership with his brother Charles. Those were boom times in the very new country of Oklahoma, but shortly afterward the reaction set in, with the inevitable collapse of real estate values, which forced Mr. Alling to close out his real estate, insurance and abstracting business. A recent moving picture play, Cimarron, attracted wide attention because of its vivid portrayal of the exciting days of the opening up of the Oklahoma Territory. It is interesting to note that Mr. Alling and his family lived through those same stirring days of the building of an empire. His brother Charles made the first run into Oklahoma in 1889, riding an Indian Comanche pony from the Kansas border. Mr. Alling later helped him put in his first wheat crop and in 1904 he rode a horse all over the Lawton, Oklahoma, district to locate a claim for his sister, Florence, who had drawn a number from the great Government land lottery. This claim later sold for $9,000.
It is important to note that Mr. Alling's chief talent is in sales work. His mother was really a genius in this highly useful art upon which modern business is so strongly dependent. Mr. Alling's father was an inventor and somewhat of a dreamer. He developed many interesting devices, including a self-binder of a very practical type, for which patent he was offered $10,000 by the McCormick-Deering people, but he held out for a high price and finally failed to sell it at all. He also invented a twin-screw propeller for steamships and other things later coming into general use, but lack of capital in the terrible hard times of the early '90s, together with an impractical nature from a business standpoint, made his inventions an expense rather than a help to the family income. This fact caused his wife to undertake to add to the support of the family by using her genius for selling and trading. She made many thousands of dollars over a period of years, dealing in real estate, notions, magazine subscriptions, etc. In this work she found that her son Clarence Edward had an aptitude, and she started him in similar work at an early age. At ten years of age he sold notions to the neighbors all over the hills in Kansas, and about 1885 he and his mother traveled up and down the creeks and valley with a one-horse spring wagon, soliciting subscribers to a little paper called Farm and Home, securing a total of over five hundred subscribers in a very thinly settled community and thereby winning the second prize in a subscription campaign carried on by that paper over the entire United States. They often had to accept chickens, eggs and other commodities instead of money, as money was scarce those days. His mother also at one time had several hundred young people, in Wichita, Kansas, selling spices, silks, etc., for her, in which she proved a very successful sales manager.
And so it was that Mr. Alling has found his career in sales work. He is today sales manager of the KKK Medicine Company of Keokuk, having started in that line of work as a salesman in 1905 and becoming general agent in 1907, when he moved his family to Keokuk, where they have lived ever since and where he owns a very attractive home property high on the bluff overlooking the river and the famous Mississippi River Power Dam. He became sales manager of the firm in 1907, in which capacity he has continued most of the time since.
In the fall of 1913 he left the KKK Company temporarily to organize the Consumers Wholesale Supply Company, one of the earliest experiments in farmers' cooperative buying organizations. More than 2,500 members paid more than $50,000 into the capital stock of the company under the excellent promotional direction of Mr. Alling, who then in 1914, opened their first cooperative sales store for the convenience of members, in a two-story, fifty-foot front building on Third and Main streets in Keokuk. On the opening day the store was filled to capacity, the doors closed and the streets blocked by people seeking admittance. Samples were thrown out from the top floor windows to the people below. Business proved heavy from the start and branches were opened for the convenience of distant members at Ottumwa and Salem, Iowa, and Nauvoo, La Harpe and Loraine, Illinois. However, because it was a pioneer idea in merchandising and seemed to threaten the prosperity of existing merchants, the organized opposition to the plan was so great as to finally force failure upon it, only to find it soon, replaced with the newer menace to old time merchandising methods as embodied in the chain stores, now to be found up and down that same Main Street. The experiment was perhaps just a little ahead of its time, but it was an excellent demonstration of its time, but it was an excellent demonstration of the organizing and sales ability of Mr. Alling.
His only political experience was his election to the school board at Perry, Oklahoma, at the age of twenty-five, but he and his family have always been active in many civic, community and church enterprises. Recently, when the Keokuk Y. M. C. A. needed funds for remodeling their building, Mr. Alling conducted the finance campaign successfully by clever sales organization, in which again his talents were publicly demonstrated. Those who know Mr. Alling most intimately feel that this organizing talent of his has never found its fullest opportunity and had a better opportunity been presented him by a different combination of circumstances it might well have proven more profitable to him financially. As it is, however, he has raised a family of four children in moderate comfort and provided them with good educations and a good start in life, while at the same time establishing a permanent home for himself and wife and contributing valuably to the affairs of his community, and is now able to face the best years of life with no regrets, although some disappointments, such as are the lot of most people, and with the love and respect of his family, friends and fellow townsmen. He is still young enough to look forward to an interesting future.
On June 16, 1895, Mr. Alling was married to Miss Lida Rogers at Wichita, Kansas, and to this union two children were born: Clarence Lester, born April 5, 1896, who has followed in his father's footsteps and is now a commercial traveler for the Lewis Publishing Company of Chicago; and Hazel, born June 13, 1897, and died July 12, 1897. Lida Rogers Alling died July 2, 1897, and on October 25, 1898, Mr. Alling married Miss Flora Elizabeth Starbuck, of Spring Hill, Kansas, at Perry, Oklahoma. She was born November 16, 1875. To this union were born three children, all living; Ruth Elizabeth, born August 5, 1899, married Leslie L. Bever, of Keokuk, who is boys' work director of a department of the Detroit Y. M. C. A., and they have a daughter, Patricia Florence; Florence Emma, born August 31, 1901, married Dr. Irving Akerson, a medical graduate of Iowa State University, and they live at Boston, Massachusetts; where the Doctor is an instructor at Harvard University, and they have one daughter, Marjorie Ruth; Calvin Edward, born February 5, 1904, who is not yet married and lives in Detroit, Michigan, where he is employed in the home office of a large insurance company.
PAUL C. AMBLER has brought to bear in his administration as mayor of the City of Shenandoah, Page County, the same loyalty and progressive policies that have marked his course as one of the representative business men of this fine little city, he being one of the two principals in the Nishna Seed Company, which has here developed a substantial and important industrial and commercial business in the wholesale handling of seeds.
Mr. Ambler was born in Fremont County, Iowa, August 1, 1888, and is a son of T. M. and Nellie (Paul) Ambler, the former of whom was born at Barnsesville, Ohio, and the latter at Thruman, Fremont County, Iowa, where their marriage was solemnized. T. M. Ambler came to Iowa in the year 1881 and at Thurman he engaged in the livery and mercantile business, of which latter line of enterprise he there continued a representative until 1900, when he removed to Shenandoah, where he built up a prosperous retail grocery business and where he is now engaged in the coal business. His political allegiance is given to the Democratic party and he and his wife have membership in the Methodist Episcopal Church. His parents, Calvin and Mary (DuVall) Ambler, passed their entire lives in Ohio, where the respective families made settlement in the pioneer days. William Paul, maternal grandfather of the subject of this review, was born in Missouri and was a pioneer settler in Fremont County, Iowa, where he became a leading banker and merchant at Thruman. Of the six children of T. M. and Nellie (Paul) Ambler, Paul C., of this sketch, is the eldest; Fahy L. is associated with the Dunnegan Construction Company of Shenandoah; Walter is engaged in the theatrical business; Carroll remains at the parental home in Shenandoah; Doris, who resides at Shenandoah, is the widow of Thomas R. Murphy, whose death occurred in the earlier part of the year 1929; and Frena remains at the parental home.
After completing his studies in the Shenandoah High School Paul C. Ambler was employed in a wholesale establishment in Omaha, Nebraska, during the period of 1908-13, and in 1914 he returned to Shenandoah and purchased a half interest in the Nishna Seed Company, in the ownership of the business of which his coadjutor is G. A. Chambers. This enterprise was initiated in a modest way and has been developed to one of broad scope and importance. In the wholesale seed trade the company's business has been extended throughout the territory east of Omaha from the Gulf of Mexico to the Canadian border, as well as into the Canadian provinces of the Northwest. Major attention is given to the selling of the finest types and grades of seed corn and bluegrass, and the business has contributed much to the precedence of Shenandoah as a commercial and distributing center.
Mr. Ambler is known as a resourceful business man and progressive and public spirited citizen. He is a Democrat of independent proclivities, and after having given four years of constructive service as a member of the Shenandoah city council he was, in the spring of 1929, elected mayor of the city, in which office he is giving a characteristically vigorous and forward looking administration. He is affiliated wit the Masonic fraternity, and he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
The year 1919 marked the marriage of Mr. Ambler to Miss Catherine Norris, who was born at Saint Joseph, Missouri, the early education she there received having been supplemented by her attending school in Omaha, Nebraska. Mr. and Mrs. Ambler have two children: Bettie Lee, born in October, 1920, and Marylin, born i March, 1922.
SPENCER H. AMOS was one of the veteran and honored members of the bar of Decatur County at the time of his death, which occurred June 22, 1923. Here he had been continuously established in the practice of his profession at Garden Grove during a period of nearly half a century, and he not only achieved success and prestige in his profession but was also known and valued as a sterling citizen of marked loyalty and public spirit.
Mr. Amos was born in Ohio, February 2, 1850, and thus was seventy-three years o age at the time of his death. He was a son of William and Elizabeth (Bramble) Amos, and was a child when the family came to Iowa and established residence on a farm in Wayne County, his parents having passed the remainder of their lives in this state. Mr. Amos received the advantages of the Iowa public schools and also those of higher educational institutions of this state. He gave effective service a number of years as a teacher in the public schools, and in the meanwhile he initiated the study of law. He made rapid advancement in the absorption and assimilation of the science of jurisprudence, was in due course admitted to the Iowa bar, and from 1877 until his death he was engaged in the practice of law at Garden Grove, where he long controlled a substantial and representative law business that indicated popular appreciation of his professional ability and also his secure place in the confidence and esteem of the community. He was for many years a director and the attorney for the Garden Grove Bank, and for a time was editor and publisher of the Garden Grove Express. Mr. Amos was a stalwart and well fortified advocate and supporter of the cause of the Republican party, was an earnest member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, as is also his widow, and was influential in the Iowa circles of the Masonic fraternity, in which he was a Knight Templar and a Noble of the Mystic Shrine. He was one of the old and honored members of the Decatur County Bar Association at the time of his death, and held membership also in the Iowa State Bar Association.
In Decatur County was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Amos to Miss Josephine Amos, who was born in Virginia, she having been a child when her parents, Albert and Caroline Amos, established their home in Iowa. Mrs. Amos received excellent educational advantages and prior to her marriage she had been a successful and popular teacher in the public schools of Iowa, Montana and Kansas. She was one of the organizers and charter members of the Garden Grove chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star and served as its first worthy matron. She has continued influential in this branch of the Masonic fraternity and now resides in the Iowa Eastern Star Home at Boone. She has long been a gracious figure in church, cultural and social affairs in the Hawkeye State, and in her old home community at Garden Grove her circle of friends is limited only by that of her acquaintance. Florence, first born of the children of Mr. and Mrs. Amos, died in childhood. Daisy, the second child, is the wife of Robert G. Bennett, of Garden Grove, and they have four children: Mrs. Amy Rushing, of Rockford, Iowa; Miss Greta E., a popular teacher in the Marcus, Iowa, public schools; Lucille, a graduate nurse who is doing admirable service in her profession; and Roberta O., who remains at the parental home. The third daughter, Mrs. Nan E. Raleigh, resides in the City of Seattle, Washington, and she has one child, Eva G.
MISS MAE C. ANDERS, assistant librarian of the Public Library of Des Moines, is a very competent lady, and one of whose courtesy, unfailing fidelity to duty and inspiring interest in her work the people of this city owe much. She was graduated from the University of Iowa and took graduate work in Library Science at the University of Illinois.
The parents of Miss Anders, H. F. and Florence (Guthrie) Anders, are now deceased. He was born at Greensburg, Ohio, and she at Urbana, Iowa. About 1873 he came to Iowa and was graduated from the State Teachers College, Cedar Falls, Iowa, and for many years was engaged in teaching and later in the practice of civil engineering. Both he and his wife were consistent members of the Congregational Church. In political faith he was a Republican. They had two children born to them, namely: Miss Anders and her younger sister, Ida A. The latter is assistant professor of home economics, University of Tennessee, and she was educated at Ames, Iowa, College.
The maternal grandfather of Miss Anders, Dr. James Alexander Guthrie, distinguished himself in both medicine and politics, and was a member of the Iowa Legislature from Butler and Benton counties.
JUDGE DAN M. ANDERSON, of Albia, who for twenty years was on the district bench, has done much to confer distinction upon a name that has long enjoyed honors in the legal profession.
His father, Daniel Anderson, practiced law all his adult life in Iowa. Daniel Anderson was born in Indiana, April 5, 1821. The Andersons came to America in the early 1700s, and George Anderson, great-grandfather of Judge Anderson, was born in Virginia, in 1745, and served with a Virginia regiment in the Revolutionary war. In religious matters the Andersons have been members of either the Methodist or Presbyterian churches. Daniel Anderson, Sr., moved to Iowa in 1848, so that the family name has been identified with the bar almost continuously since the beginning of Iowa statehood. In 1861 he enlisted in the Union army, and became colonel of the First Iowa Cavalry. For six years he was a member of the Iowa State Senate. Col. Daniel Anderson married Amanda Harrow, of a Kentucky family of Scotch-Irish ancestry.
Their son, Judge Dan M. Anderson, was born at Albia, December 25, 1861. Albia has been his home nearly all his life, except for a few years spent in South Dakota. After graduating from the high school in 1882 he entered his father's law office, was admitted to the bar in 1883, and at once joined his father in practice. From 1886 to 1891 he was in South Dakota and while there served four years as state's attorney of his county. For nearly thirty years now he has been engaged in the work of his profession at Albia, either practicing law or serving on the bench. For four years he was mayor of Albia, for six years a member of the city school board, held the office of postmaster eight years, and his service on the district bench ran from 1907 to 1927.
Judge Anderson is a member of the Masonic fraternity. His many years of service to his county and state are a fine tribute to his ability and mental attainments.
Judge Anderson married, March 18, 1891, Miss Maud C. Hunt, whose parents, Henderson W. and Charlotte (Douglas) Hunt, were early settlers in South Dakota. Mrs. Anderson was a graduate of Beloit College and taught in the public schools of South Dakota until her marriage. She died August 20, 1927, leaving one daughter, Charlotte. Charlotte Anderson is the wife of Richard C. Leahy, and their home is in Hankow, China, where she has been secretary to Bishop Alfred Gilman, president of the Central China Christian College. Mr. and Mrs. Leahy are the parents of one daughter.
SIGURD E. ANDERSON has been president of the New Monarch Machine & Stamping Company of Des Moines from the time of its organization until the present, and his technical ability and progressive administrative policies have brought this corporation to marked success and precedence as touching the industrial and commercial prestige of the capital city.
Mr. Anderson was born in Norway, August 10, 1873, and is a son of Otinius and Anna (Johnson), the former of whom passed his entire life in his native land and the latter of whom came with her fatherless children to the United States in 1891, the family home having been established in the City of Chicago and her death having there occurred in 1895. Of the eight children only three are living: Harold resides in Oakland, California, and is a marine engineer with the Pacific Mail Line of steamships; Rodna is the wife of A. Berg, who is a prosperous farmer near Deerbrook, Wisconsin; and Sigurd E. of this review, is youngest of the three. Otinius Anderson was a skilled blacksmith, and as such was foreman in shipyards in his native land at the time of his death, both he and his wife having been earnest communicants of the Lutheran Church.
Sigurd E. Anderson received his early education in the excellent schools of his native land, where likewise he received three years of excellent training for the work of the machinist's trade, this, with further technical discipline, having made him a specially skillful artisan. He was eighteen years of age when he accompanied his widowed mother to the new home in Chicago, and there he was employed ten years in machine shops and die and stamp works. He next gave four and one-half years of service as foreman of a machine shop in the City of Evansville, Indiana, and he then, in 1906, came to Iowa and established his residence in Des Moines. Here he held during the ensuing four and one-half years the position of superintendent of the E. L. Watrous Manufacturing Company, and he then associated himself with others in organizing the New Monarch Machine & Stamping Company, of which he has since continued the president, John Torgerson being its vice president and Russell Smith, its secretary and treasurer. This progressive corporation has its well equipped manufacturing plant and steel warehouse at 406 Southwest Ninth Street, and controls a large business in the various lines of press metal stamping. Products are shipped into the most diverse parts of the United States and also to foreign countries. In 1928 the company shipped to London, England, 1,059,000 of its celebrated and notably superior devices known as Bull Dog Floor Clips, besides making large shipments to other foreign lands.
Mr. Anderson is signally loyal to and appreciative of the land of his adoption, and as a progressive American citizen he gives his allegiance to the Republican party, though he has manifested no desire for political preferment of any kind. He and his wife are zealous communicants of the Lutheran Church an din the Masonic fraternity he is affiliated with the Scottish Rite bodies, as well as with the Mystic Shrine, he having been at one time chairman of the Shrine Patrol of Za-Ga-Zig Temple in Des Moines. He is a member also of the local lodge of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, and has membership in the Iowa Engineers Association. He was active in local patriotic movements in the World war period, and his two sons were in active service in that great conflict.
In the year 1894 was solemnized the marriage of Mr. Anderson and Miss Rodna Goodmanson, who was born and reared in Chicago, and the children of this union are five in number: Frank, who is now superintendent of the company of which his father is president, enlisted in the United States Navy when the nation became involved in the World war, and his service was mainly in the naval shipyards; Clarence, who is now purchasing agent for the New Monarch Machine & Stamping Company, was in the destroyer in and about the British Isles in the World war period; Norma is the wife of Gerald Combs, who is connected with the gasoline department at the state capitol in Des Moines; Rodna is the wife of Henry Hughes, of Des Moines; and Helen remains at home.
Mr. Anderson has achieved independence and prosperity through his own ability and well directed efforts, and has won a place as one of the representative business men and loyal and public spirited citizens of the fair capital city of the Hawkeye State.
ELDRED A. ASH, who was the popular superintendent of the public schools of North English, is an enthusiast in his service as an executive and educator, and his school policies are progressive and well ordered. His administration in North English was initiated in 1927, but in 1929 he left there to accept the position of supervisor of special classes at Muskegon, Michigan, a city of 60,000 population.
Mr. Ash was born at Edgewood, Clayton County, Iowa, September 15, 1894, and is a representative of one of the sterling pioneer families of that county. His father, Charles H. Ash, was born in Kane County, Illinois, but moved to Iowa when a small boy and in the Edgewood community he was reared an educated and was there long and successfully engaged in farm enterprise. There he was influential in community affairs and besides serving as township trustee he gave loyal service as a member of the school board of his district. He and his wife, whose maiden name was Hattie Ashline, and who likewise was born and reared in Clayton County, lived at Cedar Falls for three years and then returned to the farm at Edgewood. At Cedar Falls their two younger children, Laurel and Raymond, are attending school. Eldred A. of this review, is the eldest of the four children, and the next younger is Miss Mae W., who removed to North English for five years, but is now teaching at Marengo, Iowa. The religious faith of the family is that of the Presbyterian Church. The Ash lineage traces back to staunch English origin, but the family has been established in America many generations. The maternal grandfather of the subject of this sketch represented Iowa as a gallant soldier of the Union in the Civil war.
Eldred A. Ash passed his childhood and early youth on the parental home farm and supplemented the discipline of the rural schools by completing a course in the high school at Edgewood, in which he was graduated in 1913, as valedictorian of his class, as well as its secretary. He soon put his acquirements to practical test and use by taking a position as teacher in a district school of his native county. During the four years he was thus engaged he continued to assist in the work of the home farm during the summer vacation periods, and when the nation entered the World war he responded to the call of patriotism. In the early part of 1918 he enlisted in the United States army, and after preliminary training at Camp Dodge, Iowa, he was assigned to Company D, Three Hundred Twenty-fifth Infantry, at Camp Gordon, Georgia. April 27, 1918, he embarked with his command for overseas service, and in France he lived up to the full tension of conflict, with service in the Meuse-Argonne and the Saint Mihiel sectors. He remained in France one year and within a few months after the armistice brought the war to a close he returned to his native land, he having received his honorable discharge, at Camp Dodge, May 17, 1919.
After the close of his World war service Mr. Ash entered the Iowa State Teachers College at Cedar Falls, and after there continuing his studies one year he resumed his service as a teacher in the schools of Clayton County. In the following year he taught in the consolidated school at Dundee, Delaware County, and he then resumed his studied in the college at Cedar Falls, where he was graduated as a member of the class of 1924 and with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. He then assumed the position of principal and normal training critic of the high school at North English, and the admirable record he made in his three years' incumbency of this position was crowned by his advancement, in 1927, to that of superintendent of the public schools of this attractive little city. He held the superintendencey two years and then accepted this present position at Muskegon, Michigan.
Mr. Ash is an active member of the Iowa State Teachers Association and National Education Association. His political allegiance is given to the Republican party, and he is affiliated with the American Legion. The name of Mr. Ash still remains on the roster of eligible young bachelors.
CHARLES W. ATWOOD since 1921 has been county recorder of Pottawattamie County, and for many years was in the railroad service and is a well-qualified executive and manager and has set a high record of efficiency in the management of the county office.
He was born in Pottawattamie County, January 3, 1862, son of Selah B. and Mary A. (Barritt) Atwood. His father was born in Connecticut, came out to Iowa in 1860 and spent his active life as a farmer. He was a Democrat in politics and a member of the Mormon Church, while his wife was a Methodist. Mary A. Barritt was born in Ohio and came to Iowa in 1853. Her husband, Lemuel Barritt, settled on a farm in Hazel Dell Township of Pottawattamie County, and he was frozen to death on a hunting trip in 1855.
Charles W. Atwood grew up and was educated in Pottawattamie County, and in 1888 married Isabelle C. Prentice. She was also born in Pottawattamie County, daughter of Alexander Prentice, a pioneer farmer. Mr. and Mrs. Atwood have two sons, Ernest L. and Walter H., both residents of La Grange, Illinois. Walter for the past twelve years has been a salesman for the Burroughs Adding Machine Company. He married Helen Barghausen, of Council Bluffs, and has two children, Mina Belle and Walter, Jr.
Mr. Atwood is a Royal Arch Mason, is a past chancellor of the Knights of Pythias, a member of Lodge No. 531, B. P. O. Elks, and is a Republican in politics. His wife is a Methodist.
Mr. Atwood spent the first twenty-one years of his life on the home farm, and on July 26, 1883, became a clerk in the railroad offices of Council Bluffs and spent thirty years in railroad and traffic work, finally resigning in 1913. For three and a half years of this time he was traffic manager for the M. E. Smith & Company wholesale dry goods house. Mr. Atwood was elected county recorder of Pottawattamie County in 1920, and has filled the office since 1921, having been elected for five consecutive terms.