IAGenWeb Project


 Iowa History

       An IAGenWeb Special Project


Join the IAGenWeb Team




Harlan, Edgar Rubey.
A Narrative History of the People of Iowa.
 Vol III. Chicago: American Historical Society,  1931

p. 329

    CHARLES S. KENNEDY, M.D. The medical profession of Harrison County has a very able and highly respected representative in Dr. Charles S. Kennedy, of Logan, a member of one of the old families of the county, and a man whose personal character is beyond reproach. He was born in Jefferson Township, Harrison County, Iowa, December 23, 1868, a son of David W. Kennedy and grandson of Charles Kennedy.
    The birth of Charles Kennedy occurred in Ireland, in April, 1800, and about 1821 he came to the United States, locating in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, where he became a maker of hair trunks, for which work he had prepared by learning the weaver's trade in his native land. In 1829 he was married to Miss Elizabeth Marshall, a daughter of William and Jennie (Armstrong) Marshall, natives of Ireland. Mrs. Kennedy was the oldest of the seven children of her parents and was born in Ireland, February 8, 1795, and came to America with her parents in 1821, at which time they located in Philadelphia. Her father soon thereafter returned to Ireland on business, and there he died, leaving the children full orphans, as the mother had died soon after the family's arrival in this country. Charles Kennedy and his wife came to Iowa in 1854, first settling in Crawford County, where they arrived November 15 of that year. In 1868 they moved to Harrison County, and there they rounded out their useful lives with their children, he passing away February 27, 1873, and she, March 19, 1883. The parents of Charles Kennedy were Patrick and Esther (Butler) Kennedy, natives of Ireland. Patrick Kennedy, under the leadership of Henry Gratton, took sides with the "patriots" in the Rebellion of 1798, and was not seen or heard of afterward.
    David W. Kennedy, father of Doctor Kennedy, was born in Athens County, Ohio, April 11, 1838, and came with his parents to Iowa in 1854. He became a farmer of Jefferson Township, near Logan and he died May 27, 1900. On January 1, 1868, he married Miss Nellie J. Newman, who was born in New York State, August 10, 1841, and died in Harrison County, Iowa, April 21, 1929. She was a daughter of Stephen F. and Lovinia (Klock) Newman, also natives of the Empire State. Nellie J. Newman came to Illinois in 1861 and four years later arrived in Crawford County, Iowa, where she met and subsequently married Mr. Kennedy. Her father was born in New York State, November 1, 1809, a son of Nathaniel and Esther (Frost) Newman, and was of English descent. David W. Kennedy and his wife became the parents of the following children: Doctor Kennedy; George M., who was born August 9, 1870, lives at Culver City, California, and is connected with the moving picture industry; Merritt, who was born December 15, 1871, died February 2, 1900; David E., who was born may 13, 1874, died September 2, 1874; Lewis M., who was born February 17, 1876, died January 22, 1882; Minnie L., who was born November 22, 1878, is the widow of J.E. Massie and resides in Kansas City, Missouri; Mark B., who was born August 31, 1881, is in the drug business at Logan; and Nellie May, who was born February 28, 1886, is the wife of John Hanneman, a farmer of Harrison County.
    Doctor Kennedy was educated in the common and high schools of Logan and had a commercial course at Omaha, Nebraska, being graduated in the latter July 16, 1890. He then entered the drug business and became a registered pharmacist March 3, 1896. In the years that followed he studied medicine and in 1902 was graduated from the John A. Creighton Medical College, of Omaha, and then located at Logan, where he has since been engaged in a general practice, and has built up wide and valuable connections all over the county. During the World war he enlisted in June, 1918, and was commissioned a captain in the Medical Corps, being assigned to the Medical Officers Training Camp at Fort Riley, Kansas, where he was later actively engaged in the influenza hospital wards during the epidemic  in 1918. He was at Hoboken, New Jersey, ready to embark for overseas duty when the armistice was signed. He was then ordered back and received his honorable discharge at Camp Crane, Allentown, Pennsylvania.
    On September 12, 1900, Doctor Charles S. Kennedy married Miss Esther Hansen, a daughter of Ingvert and Kate (Sorensen) Hansen, natives of Denmark, and early settlers in Crawford County. Doctor and Mrs. Kennedy have an adopted daughter, Louise Grace, wife of Glenn McKain of Logan.
    Doctor Kennedy has held all of the offices of Harrison County Medical Society. Very high in Masonry, he belongs to the Commandery, K. T., of Council Bluffs, Iowa; Abu Bekr Temple, A.A.O.N.M.S. of Sioux City, Iowa, and he holds his Blue Lodge membership at Missouri Valley, and both he and his wife belong to the Easter Star.
    He has billed all of the chairs in the Grand Chapter, O.E.S., of Iowa. In 1914-15 he was grand worthy patron of the Eastern Star of Iowa. His wife was grand treasurer of the Grand Chapter of the Eastern Star for six years, declining further services at the expiration of her last term. She was grand chaplain in 1907, served four years as district instructor of the Grand Chapter, and held various committee appointments. Both are Republicans in politics, and have been very active and zealous in behalf of their party. In religion they are Latter Day Saints.


p. 72
    DAVID W. KIMBERLY, state senator from Scott county, has the distinction of having the longest continuous service of any present member of the State Legislature. Senator Kimberly, whose home is at 924 East Locust Street, Davenport, has been a substantial factor in the agricultural and civic affairs of Scott County for many years.
    His birthplace was one of the most turbulent and romantic mining districts of the great West, Deadwood, South Dakota, where he was born August 6, 1878, while that was still one of the great mining centers. His parents, Amos E. and Mary (Wilson) Kimberly, moved back to Iowa in 1884, settling at West Liberty in Muscatine County. His mother is still living at West Liberty. David W. Kimberly attended school there, the Springdale High School, and finished his education with a course in the Bryant and Statton Business College in Chicago. Most of his life since early manhood has been spent on a farm.
    Senator Kimberly married Elsie King of Chicago. He is prominent in the Masonic and other fraternities, being a member of the Golden Rule Lodge No. 24 of Cedar County, is a Knight Templar and thirty-second degree Scottish Rite Mason at Davenport, member of Kaaba Temple of the Mystic Shrine, Mohassan Grotto, and Order of the Eastern Star. He also belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, B. P. O. Elks, Fraternal Order of Eagles, the Owls, and Turners Society.
    Mr. Kimberly was first elected a member of the Legislature and the House of Representatives in 1914 and reelected in 1916. He was elected to the Senate in 1918, 1922, 1926,and 1930, and has given the people of Scott County a record of fourteen years of consecutive service with four more years in office. He has represented them well, and without any pecuniary profit to himself.


back to History Index