IOWA HISTORY PROJECT
ITS HISTORY AND TRADITION
J. H. JACKSON
Hon. John H. Jackson figures prominently in northwestern Iowa as a member of the Sioux City bar and as one whose activity and influence have been a potent factor in republican successes. He was born in Albany, Green county, Wisconsin, in 1863, and comes of an old English family that for several generations was connected with the milling business in England. William Jackson, the grandfather, spent his entire life in that country and was quite prominent in local political circles. He never came to the United States, but died in his native land in the '50s. His son, John Jackson, was a corn miller and farmer of Woodrow House, Methley, England, and died at the age of seventy-one years. He commenced business as a miller at Acworth near Pontefract, in 1858, and removed to Fleet mills at Oulton in 1864, there remaining until 1896. In 1881 he began farming at Methley and was also actively interested in local affairs, many of his efforts proving of marked benefit to his community. He was instrumental in securing a water supply at Oulton-Cum-Woodlesford, and he was a member of the Hunlet board of guardians and of the school board. Joseph Jackson, the father of our subject, was born in Pontefract, England, and came to America about 1858. He, too, was a miller by trade and he made his home in the state of Wisconsin to the time of his demise. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Olive Ellis, was also a native of England and with her parents went to Wisconsin about 1849. She died in 1876 at the age of forty-eight years, leaving three children: John H.; Ida, the wife of Bert Ludington, of Janesville, Wisconsin; and Fred B., who is living in Belleville, Wisconsin.
John H. Jackson, of this review, was for sixteen years a resident of Belleville, Wisconsin. After completing his preliminary education in the public schools he attended Ripon College, at Ripon, Wisconsin, for some time and subsequently he removed to Jefferson, Iowa, where he took up the study of law under the direction of Hon. Z. A. Church. At the end of his first year in Jefferson he was appointed deputy clerk of the courts of Greene county. He afterward pursued his law studies in the University of Iowa and was graduated in 1888. He then returned to Greene county and completed his service as duputy clerk. For a year he practiced alone in Scranton, Iowa, and then came to Sioux City in 1890. Here he was associated in practice with William Milchrist until January, 1895, after which he practiced alone until November, 1896. He was then with J. L. Kennedy until 1899 and has since been alone in the prosecution of his profession. As a lawyer he has gained a foremost place at the Woodbury county bar, a distinctively representative clientage being accorded him in recognition of his ability to successfully handle important litigated interests.
Mr. Jackson has also been prominently connected with political affairs in Woodbury county almost continuously since his arrival in Sioux City. He was secretary of the county central committee in 1898 and later became chairman of the committee, successfully directing several city and county campaigns while acting in that capacity. In 1903 he was nominated by his party to the position of state senator and won the election. He made an excellent record as a member of the upper house of the general assembly, being connected with much important constructive legislation and giving at all times careful consideration to the significant problems which came up for settlement. Fraternally Mr. Jackson is identified with the Masonic order, belonging to Tyrian Lodge, A. F. & A. M.; Columbian Commandery, No. 18, K. T.; and Abu-Bekr Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. He is also a member of the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and the Sioux City Boat Club. He attends the services of the Scientist church. Mr. Jackson takes an active interest in various enterprises for the city's welfare and has ever upheld the best interests of the county. He is a man firm in his opinions, resolute in his advocacy of what he believes to be right and through a straightforward and honorable business and political career in which there has been no element that will not stand investigation and scrutiny he has gained the confidence and regard of his fellowmen.
In 1906 Mr. Jackson was married to Miss Mae Mangold, of Sioux City, who is a member of the Midlothian Club and the Bard of Avon Club.
H. A. JACOBSON
Among those who have in a very definite way contributed to the industrial development of Sioux City, stand Harold A. Jacobsen, vice-president and secretary of Albertson & Company, whose factory for the making of valve-grinding tools is the largest of its kind in the world. He is a native son of Woodbury county, having been born at Bronson, on the 15th day of November, 1895, and is a son of Christian and Christina (Petersen) Jacobsen, natives of Denmark, whence they emigrated to the United States when nineteen years of age. They both came to Sioux City, Iowa, where they met and were married, and about two years later they located on a rented farm near Bronson. Mr.. Jacobsen operated that place for about six years and then bought a farm near Waterbury, Nebraska, where he lived for fourteen years. In 1917 he came back to Woodbury county, taking up his residence in Sioux City, where the mother's death occurred the same year and where he is still living.
Harold A. Jacobsen attended the public schools of Waterbury, Nebraska, graduating from high school in 1912. He then took a year's course in the Wayne Normal School, at Wayne, Nebraska, followed by a course in the National Business Training School, in Sioux City. He secured his education entirely through his own efforts, paying his way by waiting on table and doing such other work as he could find, including farm work, and when he found a situation as bookkeeper at ten dollars a week, in addition to what he made by waiting on table, he felt he was making excellent progress. On completing his commercial course he secured a position in the office of the Sioux City Machine and Tool Company. Four months later this concern failed and he then became one of the organizers of a new company, which was called Albertson & Company, and which took over the plant and business of the old concern. The history of Albertson & Company from that time on is familiar to all who know anything of the recent history of Sioux City, for it has become one of the prominent industrial enterprises of this city. At the time of the organization of the new company Mr. Jacobsen was made secretary and treasurer and in 1920 was elected vice-president, still serving in his former position also.
In January, 1917, Mr. Jacobsen was united in marriage to Miss Isabelle Bortle, of Sioux City, and they are the parents of two sons, Donald E., born May 23, 1918, and Harold E., January 26, 1926. Mr. Jacobsen is a member of Tyrian Lodge, No. 508, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons; Sioux City Consistory, No. 5, Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite; Abu-Bekr Temple, Ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, and Sioux City Lodge, No. 112, Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. His religious faith is that of the Lutheran church, of which he is a generous supporter. He is a man of great energy and executive ability, has faithfully and ably discharged his official duties and has been a potent factor in the splendid prosperity which has attended Albertson & Company.
Orville James, popular ex-sheriff of Buena Vista county and for a number of years one of the leading business men and enterprising citizens of this locality, and now living in honorable retirement in Storm Lake, was not favored by inherited wealth or the assistance of influential friends at the outset of his career, but by perseverance, industry and the exercise of sound judgment, has attained a comfortable station in life, and has mae his influence felt for the general good of his community and county. mr. James was born in Wyandot county, Ohio, on the 19th of September, 1844, and is a son of Benjamin and Melissa (Ritcheson) James, the former a native of Maine and the latter of Ohio, where they were married and spent their remaining years. They were the parents of eleven children.
Orville James was reared in teh Buckeye state and attended the public schools of his home neighborhood. On September 23, 1863, at the age of nineteen years, he enlisted in Company A, Twelfth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Cavalry, with which command he served until the end of the Civil war, escaping without injury, though he took part in a number of the most hotly-contested battles of that conflict. He was mustered out at Nashville, Tennessee, and received his honorable discharge at Camp Chase, Ohio. He then went to Crawford county, Ohio, where he was employed at day labor until 1872, when he came to Storm Lake, Iowa. For a time he followed farming and also handled live stock for a number of years but at length engaged in the livery business in Storm Lake, to which he devoted his attention for twenty-seven years. In 1909 he retired from active business affairs and has since lived quietly in his attractive home in Storm Lake.
In 1872, in Ohio, Mr. James was united in marriage to Miss Mary L. Hanks, who also is a native of Ohio, and a daughter of William and Margaret (Thompson) Hanks. Her parents were natives of Ohio, whence they came to Iowa in 1875 and engaged in farming, though maintaining their residence in Storm Lake, and there they both died. They were the parents of eleven children, of which number two are living. Mr. and Mrs. James became the parents of a daughter, who died in infancy. Mr. James has always been an earnest supporter of the republican party and in his earlier years took an active and effective part in public affairs. He served four years as sheriff of Buena Vista county and ten years as constable, faithfully discharging the duties of those offices and earning the reputation of an able and fearless officer. He is a member of E. D. Baker Post, No. 8, Grand Army of the Republic, of which he has been commander for the past ten years. He has led an active and useful life and at all times has been as true and loyal to his country as when he followed the nation's starry banner into the southland as a defender of the Union.
Dr. William Jepson, of Sioux City, is one of the foremost surgeons of the middle western country. Liberal educational advantages, of which he made splendid use, qualified him for entrance upon the professional career which has brought him to an eminent position as a practitioner and educator. He has never abandoned the ideals which he set up at the beginning of his career, nor has he deviated from the highest standard of professional ethics.
A native of Aarhus, Denmark, he was born June 29, 1863, a son of Neils and Wilhelmina (Jansen) Jepson. The father, who was a millwright in his native country, came from Denmark to the United States in the '50s but later returned to his native land. Still later he again crossed the Atlantic and established his home in Wayne county, Iowa, where he engaged for a time in the banking business and afterward followed farming, continuing his residence in Wayne county up to his death, which occurred October 3, 1873. It was in Burlington that he wedded Miss Jansen, who in recent years has made her home in Sioux City.
Dr. jepson was a young lad at the time of the emigration of the family to this country and was but ten years of age on the death of his father. Following the removal of the family to Iowa he continued his education in the public schools of Seymour, Iowa, and he completed an advanced course at Morningside College of Sioux City, from which he was graduated with the B. S. degree in 1892. He had previously determined on a medical career and had prepared for that profession in the Iowa State University, which conferred upon him his M. D. degree in 1886. Recognizing fully the great responsibilities which devolve upon the physician, he has made continuous effort to meet these responsibilities through further study and investigation, and in 1891, after a course in Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, he received from that institution the M. D. degree. The same year the M. D. degree was conferred upon him by the University of Pennsylvania at Philadelphia, in which he had taken special work. He was made a licentiate of the Royal College of Surgeons at Edinburgh, Scotland, in 1897, and in 1907 the University of South Dakota conferred upon him the degree of Master of Arts.
Following his graduation from the Iowa State University, Dr. Jepson immediately entered upon the active practice of his profession. He has kept in close touch with the advanced methods that scientific research has brought to light, and he enjoys a well earned reputation as a most able educator in his profession, having been professor of surgery in the Iowa State University from 1902 to 1913. Previous to this he was professor of surgery in the Sioux City College of Medicine (now extinct) for eleven years, covering the period from 1891 to 1902. He was elected president of the Iowa State Medical Society in 1905, is now serving as president of the Sioux Valley Medical Society and also has membership in the Missouri Valley Medical Society, the Western Surgical Association and the American Medical Association. Dr. Jepson is likewise the president of the Iowa State Board of Medical Examiners and is national president of the Professional Men's Clubs. His opinions are largely accepted as standard by the leading medical representatives of the middle west, and as a surgeon he is ranked among the foremost and ablest in this section of the country.
On the 21st of December, 1886, at LeMars, Iowa, Dr. Jepson was united in marriage to Miss Beatrice Baker, and to them have been born four children: Roscoe William, Weir Agnew, Florence and Beatrice.
Dr. Jepson served as surgeon of the Fifty-sixth Iowa National Guards from 1907 to 1916 with the rank of major. During the years 1916 and 1917 he served as surgeon to the Second Iowa Regiment, stationed on the Mexican border. He enlisted for service in the World war in May, 1918, and was chief surgeon of the base hospital at Camp Bowie, two miles west of Forth Worth, Texas, until March, 1919. Dr. Jepson also organized and acted as chairman of the Red Cross organization of Sioux City and Woodbury county, and he is at present commandant of the Iowa Medical World War Veterans. He is a thirty-second degree Scottish Rite Mason and a member of the Shrine. His name, moreover, is on the membership rolls of the Sioux City Country Club, the Rotary Club and the Sigma Xi and Nu college fraternities.
T. H. JOHNSTON
The name of Dr. Thomas H. Johnston, of Spencer, has long been a household word to the people of Clay county, where he has for many years occupied a leading place in the ranks of the medical profession. He has conscientiously and ably gone about his work in a manner that has won for him the confidence and esteem of all classes. Thomas H. Johnston was born in Drayton, Ontario, Canada, on the 25th of October, 1871, and is a son of Samuel and Ellen (Clarke) Johnston, both of whom were natives of the north of Ireland. For a number of years after leaving Canada, they made their home in Spencer, Iowa, but later moved to Seattle, Washington, where they passed away. They were the parents of the following children: Samuel J., deceased; Benjamin C., of Ontario, Canada; Thomas H.; Ethelda, the wife of Walter W. Hammond, of Seattle, Washington; Bertha, the wife of Lambert Thompson, of Seattle; Alice, the wife of T. M. Murray, of Seattle; William Howard, a physician at Muscatine, Iowa; and Mildred, of Seattle, Washington. Dr. Johnston attended the public schools of Canada, including the high school at Elora, Ontario, after which he obtained a teachers' certificate and taught six years in the schools of Ontario. Then, having determined to devote his life to the healing art, he matriculated in the medical school of Queens University, at Kingston, Ontario, where he was graduated with the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1900. He immediately came to Iowa, taking the state medical board examination, and on being licensed located at Webb, Iowa, where he practiced his profession six years. In April, 1906 he came to Spencer, Clay county, where he has engaged in practice to the present time. During this period he has been remarkably successful as a physician and has not only built up a large and remunerative practice, but also has attained an enviable place in the hearts of the people among whom he has labored.
On April 10, 1900, Doctor Johnston was united in marriage to Miss Della Hammond, who was born and reared in Ontario, and they are the parents of two children, Hammond Clarke and Madeline. Politically the Doctor gives his support to the republican party and takes a helpful interest in everything affecting the welfare of his community. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and has attained the thirty-second degree of the Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite. He maintains professional affiliation with the Monona County Medical Society, the Iowa State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. He is a genial and friendly gentleman, kind and sympathetic in his attitude towards those under his professional care, and throughout this community has at all times commanded the respect and confidence of the people.
W. S. JOHNSTON
One of the most successful members of the Emmet county bar is William S. Johnston of Esterville, who has been engaged in the active practice of his profession here since 1918, during which time he has built up a large and remunerative clientele. Mr. Johnston is a native of Iowa, born in Manchester, Delaware county, on the 7th of February, 1885, and is a son of John T. and Jane (Taylor) Johnston. Both parents were born in Ireland, coming to the United States in young manhood and womanhood, and were married in New York city. There the father became proprietor of a tea store, which he operated until about 1881, when he went to Texas, returning to New York city in 1882. In 1883 he went again into the west and settled in Manchester, Delaware county, Iowa, engaging in a mercantile business. He moved from there to Downs, then to Morrison, Iowa, and in 1895 he came to Estherville, Emmet county, where he opened a general merchandise store. Some time later he organized the Estherville Furniture Company, in which he is still successfully interested.
William S. Johnston received his elementary education in the public and high schools and then entered the University of Iowa, from which he was graduated, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts, in 1908. He then pursued studies and practical research work in Europe for six months, after which he entered the law school of his alma mater, receiving the degree of BAchelor of Laws in 1910. In 1925 the degree of Doctor of Jurisprudence was conferred on him by that institution. He was admitted to the bar in 1910 and engaged in the practice of his profession at Fort Dodge, Iowa, where he remained until 1918, when he came to Estherville, where he has practiced to the present time. Well founded in the basic principles of the law, a constant student of his profession, a forceful and effective pleader and a sound and safe counselor, he has gained a place in the front ranks of his profession and has been identified as counsel with most of the important cases tried in the courts of this and neighboring counties.
On November 27, 1915, Mr. Johnston was united in marriage to Miss Geneva Frances Rubel, of Fort Dodge, daughter of William H. and Eva O. Rubel. Her father, now deceased, was a locomotive engineer on the Illinois Central Railroad, having served in that capacity in the construction of the road from Fort Dodge to Omaha and running the first train over the road after its completion. To Mr. and Mrs. Johnston have been born four children: John Henry, now deceased, Margaret Jane, James J. and Elaine.
Politically Mr. Johnston has always supported the republican party and has taken a deep interest in public affairs. He is a member of the Ashlar Lodge, No. 111, Ancient Free and Accepted Mason, at Fort Dodge, Iowa; Jeptha Chapter, No. 128, Royal Arch Masons; Esdraelon Commandery, No. 52, Knights Templar; Zagazig Temple, Ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, and Estherville Lodge, Knights of Pythias. He is also a member of the board of directors of the Esterville Chamber of Commerce. He and his family are members of the Estherville Methodist Episcopal church. Mrs. Johnston is a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution and several civic bodies of the city. The Johnston family has always evinced a splendid interest in the welfare of the community, supporting every enterprise for the advancement of the public good. Friendly and affable in manner, they are popular throughout the range of their acquaintance and have a host of warm and loyal friends.
H. C. JORDAN
The man who achieves success solely through his own efforts and strength of character is deserving of the highest commendation, and of this type was the late Henry C. Jordan. He had no advantages to aid him at the outset of his career and out of the struggle with obstacles and difficulties he emerged into a field of broad influence and usefulness, occupying an important place in financial circles of Battle Creek, while he was also numbered among the large landowners of Ida county. He was born March 8, 1853, in Fulton county, Ohio, a son of Henry Calhound and Louisa (Brown) Jordan, the former a native of Vermont and the latter of New York state. They migrated from Ohio to Michigan, settling near Adrain, and the father was one of the pioneer farmers of that distract. Of their children, Sibyl died in infancy, and the others are: Huldah, Henrietta, Stephen, Mary, Samuel, Sibyl (the second of the name), Joseph, Henry C. and Norton and Hannah.
Henry C. Jordan received a public school education and assisted his father in the cultivation of the soil, thus acquiring a practical knowledge of agricultural pursuits. At the age of twenty he started for the west, securing the consent of his parents by promising to send them all of his earnings after deducting the amount required for living expenses. At the end of a year he returned home and brought to his parents the sum of two hundred and fifteen dollars. he spent two years on the homestead and on July 28, 1877, started across the plains, driving his horse the entire distance. He was nine days in making the journey to O'Brien county, Iowa, and after reaching his destination rented a farm, which he operated for some time, investing his capital in calves.f He purchased his first land in Ida county, acquiring a tract of one hundred and twenty acres, and his home was a rough shanty, which he constructed. He planted fifty acres to corn and the rich soil of this region yielded bountiful harvests in response to his well directed labors. To the original property he added from time to time until he was in possession of a six hundred acre farm supplied with all modern improvements. Mr. Jordan was a man of progressive ideas and demonstrated the value of efficiency and system in promoting productiveness. In 1918 he bought a fine home in Battle Creek, where he thereafter resided. He served as vice president of the Farmers Bank and made a close study of financial problems, and he was well qualified for the office, contributing his share toward the success of the institution.
Mr. Jordan was taken ill November 2, 1926, a blood clot forming and lodging just below the elbow in his right arm, which was amputated November 8. On November 18 a second embolism lodged in his heart, causing his death. He was buried November 21, 1926, Mount Hope cemetery, Battle Creek.
On March 1, 1889, Mr. Jordan married Miss Rebecca E. King, and they became the parents of these children: Roy G., of Battle Creek; Mabel L., the wife of Peter Benn, Jr., of Sioux City, Iowa; and Mary, Bessie, Lucille and Sybil, all of whom are at home. They also had two sons, Wright K. and Earl, but both are deceased. Mr. Jordan was a Mason and cast his ballot for the candidates of the republican party but never entered the political arena. Modest and unassuming by nature, he always avoided the public gaze, and an honorable life, directed into constructive channels, enabled him to win and retain the esteem of his fellowmen, who sincerely mourn his passing.
H. J. JOSLIN
The farmer is the basic producer. He labors with hand and brain in an unending conflict with nature, confronting her inexorable laws, and through his mastery wins what he possesses. Patience and industry are his high virtues and upon them are founded civilized life. In this useful class of citizens belongs Harrison J. Joslin, who had devoted his life to agricultural pursuits and is one of Holstein's self-made men. He was born June 21, 1856, near Anamosa, Iowa, and is the eldest of a family of three sons. The others are Hiram, a resident of Lamar, Colorado; and Jacob, who is living in Jones county, Iowa. Their parents were Harrison and Ann (Mann) Joslin, the former a native of Ohio and the latter of Indiana. They came to Iowa in 1837 and were among the earliest settlers of Jones county, experiencing all of the dangers and hardships of frontier life.
H. J. Joslin received a common school education and aided his father in the operation of the homestead, gaining valuable experience along agricultural lines. When but fifteen years of age he began his independent career as a farmer and in 1873 bought five acres of land in Jones county, afterward becoming the owner of a tract of seventy acres. Subsequently he sold the property and went to Minnesota, spending four years in that state. In 1887 he returned to Iowa, locating in Ida county, and in 1898 invested in land in Logan township. He has installed many modern conveniences on his place to lessen the labor and expedite the work, and his well improved farm of three hundred and twenty acres reflects the progressive spirit and careful supervision of its owner.
On January 11, 1881, Mr. Joslin was married to Miss Lenora Rice, a native of Dubuque, Iowa, born August 31, 1856, and a daughter of Joseph and Anna (Stetchler) Rice, the former of whom was born in Iowa and the latter in Pennsylvania. In the family of Mr. and Mrs. Rice were twelve children: William, deceased; Leonard, deceased; Laura, who is the wife of Phillip Mann, of Holstein; Lenora; Leonard, deceased; Oscar, who makes his home near Holstein; Alice, deceased, who was the widow of Benjamin Mentz, of Holstein; Daniel, a resident of the same place; Annette, who has passed away; Joseph, of Ida Grove; Ida, also deceased; and Harry. To Mr. and Mrs. Joslin were born ten children: Allan, a resident of Holstein; Rufus, of Mapleton, Iowa; Chauncey, who lives in Holstein; Isabel, the wife of Harry Kurtz, of Cushing, Iowa; Ruth, now Mrs. Ray E. Hamel, of Sioux City; DeWitt, deceased; Lenora, who married Roy Nippert and resides at Galva, Iowa; Ora, the wife of A. Budd Watt, of Holstein; Harry, who also lives in Holstein, and Hazel, at home.
Mr. Joslin is affiliated with the Baptist church and his wife is a Methodist in religious faith. He is identified with the Masonic fraternity and his political allegiance is given to the republican party. He has advanced through the medium of his own efforts and his labors have been crowned with success, while at the same time he has gained the respect, confidence and good will of his fellowmen, for high standards of conduct have guided him in every relation of life.
A. F. JUDIESCH
August F. Judiesch, an honored member of that rapidly diminishing body of men who fought for the Union during the dark days of the Civil war, was long identified with business affairs and is now living retired in Holstein, having reached the venerable age of seventy-ning years. A native of Germany, he was born December, 5, 1847, and was but three years old when his parents, Frederick W. and Louisa (Weisse) Judiesch, came with their family to the United States, settling in Muscatine, Iowa. The father was a Congregational minister and for many years was pastor of a church in Davenport, Iowa. He passed away in that city and the mother's demise occurred in Treynor, this state. Their family numbered seven children: Emma, deceased; August F.; William, who has passed away; Bertha, the widow of the Rev. Jacob Fath, also a Congregational minister, by whom she has two sons, one a geologist and the other an astronomer; Louisa and Frederick, who died in infancy; and Mary, also deceased.
August F. Judiesch received a common school education, and in those early days the nearest schoolhouse was situated three miles from his home. Imbued with the spirit of patriotism, he ran away from home when a youth of sixteen and enlisted in the federal army. He joined Company A of the Ninth Iowa Cavalry and was in the service for two years and twelve days, participating in many important battles. After the close of the war Mr. Judiesch learned the trade of a harness maker under the direction of his uncle and in 1868 established a business of his own at Wapello, Iowa, where he spent about four years. He engaged in business at Grandview, Iowa, for two years and for a year was a student at the academy of that place. He next located in Davenport, opening a shoe store, and for twelve years was one of the leading merchants of that city. After selling the business he moved to Winterset, Iowa, and four years later came to Holstein, where he has since resided. He was the first rural carrier in this locality and also acted as assistant postmaster of Holstein, ably discharging the duties of the position.
On the 6th of May, 1876, Mr. Judiesch married Miss Carolyn C. Condit, a daughter of Jabez and Ruth (Scott) Condit, natives of Pennsylvania. They came to Iowa in 1862, settling in Washington county, and Mr. Condit was one of its pioneer farmers. He had five children: Cyrus, deceased; Ezekiel C., whose home is in Denver, Colorado; William D., who is living in Los Angeles, California; Carolyn C.; and Elizabeth, the wife of William K. Mallory, of Denver, Colorado. Mr. and Mrs. Judiesch have become the parents of three children: Alice Ruth, a resident of Los Angeles, California; Frederick W., whose home is in western Nebraska; and Florence Edna, the wife of Carl H. Tourgee, of Spencer, Iowa.
Mr. Judiesch belongs to the Grand Army of the Republic and is also identified with the Modern Woodmen of America. He is affiliated with the Methodist church and his political allegiance is given to the republican party. For over seventy-five years Mr. Judiesch has lived in Iowa, loyally supporting all projects destined to prove of benefit to his community and state, and in the course of a long, honorable and useful life he has gained the enduring regard of many friends.
E. C. JUNGER
One of the leading physicians and surgeons of northwestern Iowa is Dr. Emil C. Junger, of Soldier, Monona county, where he has been engaged in active and successful practice of his profession for a quarter of a century. He was born in Klein Petersdorf, Austria, November 17, 1874, and is the youngest of the ten children of Anton and Rosina (Schindler) Junger, of whom the former died in 1887. After the death of her husband, the mother brought her children to the United States and here spent her remaining years, her death occurring in 1908.
Dr. Junger attended the public schools of Austria and accompanied his mother to this country in 1887. They settled in Texas, where he remained about five years, and in 1892 came to Iowa. He graduated from the high school at Charter Oak in 1898, and then matriculated in the Sioux City Medical College, where he was graduated with the degree of Doctor of Medicine in 1902. Immediately afterwards he came to Soldier and engaged in practice, to which he has since closely devoted his attention. An accurate diagnostician, familiar with the medicinal properties of drugs and skilled in the science of surgery, he has through the years built up a large and remunerative practice and has long stood in the front rank of the physicians of Monona county.
On December 10, 1903, at Ames, Iowa, Doctor Junger was united in marriage to Miss Caroline Carr, whose father was a minister and evangelist of the Christian church and Mrs. Junger has always taken an active part in church work. To their marriage have been born the following children: Esther Ruth, who is attending college at Rockford, Illinois; Emil, Jr., who is a student in Wentworth Military Academy, at Lexington, Missouri; and Rosina Quinton, attending school in Onawa. Politically, Doctor Junger is a republican and has taken a commendable interest in local public affairs, serving at this time as health officer of Soldier. He is president of the Parent-Teachers Association, which aided materially in the erection of the present school buildings, and is a member of the local chapter of the American Red Cross. His religious affiliation is with the Christian church. Fraternally he is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Modern Woodmen of America. He belongs to the Monona County Medical Society, the Sioux Valley Medical Society, the Missouri Valey Medical Society, the Iowa State Medical Society and the American Medical Association. Doctor Junger is a writer of ability, having contributed to the medical magazines a number of articles on medicine, clinic work and surgery. During the years of his residence in this locality he has risen in the confidence and respect of the people and has many warm and loyal friends.
Northwestern Iowa Table of Contents
Vol III Biographical Index