IOWA HISTORY PROJECT
ITS HISTORY AND TRADITION
In the death of Robert Hall, which occurred February 1, 1923, there was removed another of those prominent citizens of Ida county who made their way by force of their own merit and industry from small beginnings to definite success, and his memory will long be revered and his influence for good felt in this locality, for he belonged to that class of worthy men who leave behind much that is deathless.
Mr. Hall was a native of Ireland, born on the 10th of August, 1864, and was a son of John and Eliza (Dawson) Hall, bott of whom also were natives of that country. In boyhood he was brought to the United States, the family settling in Ida county, where he was reared to the life of a farmer, and where he secured his education in the public schools. He always followed the vocation of farming and in the course of time prosperity crowned his efforts, until he was regarded as one of the substantial and progressive farmers of his community. Idleness was foreign to his nature and he did well whatever he undertook, so that the success which came to him was well merited.
On November 12, 1890, Mr. Hall was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Jane Anderson, daughter of James and Mary (Fair) Anderson. Mr. Anderson came to Ida county in an early day and acquired a fine farm in Silver Creek township. Both parents are now deceased, the mother passing away in April, 1917. They had four children, as follows: Margaret Jane, widow of the subject of this memoir; Mary Eliza, who is the wife of Robert Lipton, of Ida Grove; William J., of Ida Grove; and Thomas, deceased. To Mr. and Mrs. Hall were born two children, namely: Mary Eliza, who became the wife of Ulus Hall, of Ida Grove and who died in February, 1922, leaving one child, Ulus Robert, who now makes his home with his grandmother; and Beulah Margaret, who is the wife of George S. Witters, of Ida Grove.
Mr. Hall was a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal church, to which he gave liberal support, as he did to all worthy benevolent and charitable enterprises. He was a man of generous and kindly impulses, cordial and friendly in his social relations and public-spirited in his support of all movements for the betterment of the community. Throughout the range of his acquaintance he enjoyed a loyal and true friendship, and his death was regarded as a deep and irreparable loss to the locality which had been honored by his residence.
C. C. HAMILTON
The state of Iowa has reason to feel proud of her bench and bar from the earliest days of the history of the commonwealth to the present time, and on the roll of distinguished citizens in this field of endeavor there is reason for reverting with gratification to the career of Hon. Charles C. Hamilton of Sioux City, judge of the fourth judicial circuit of Iowa. Born at Macon City, Missouri, on the 12th of January, 1863, he is a son of James H. and Amelia (Carlin) Hamilton, the father a native of Louisville, Kentucky, and the mother of Erie, Pennsylvania. In early life they moved to Macon City, Missouri, where they became acquainted and were married. The father was engaged in mercantile business there during the Civil war but in 1865 moved to Omaha, Nebraska, remaining there until 1868, when he came to Sioux City. Here he conducted a photographic studio from 1868 to 1897, when he retired from active business, and died in the following year, at the age of sixty-nine. His wife survived him about twenty-one years, passing away in 1919, at the age of seventy-four.
Charles C. Hamilton obtained his elementary education in the public schools of Sioux City and then entered the law school of Iowa State University, from which he was graduated in 1868, with the degree of Bachelor of Laws. The same year he began practice in Sioux City but about a year later he accepted the position of official court reporter for this district. He served in that official capacity continuously until 1920, a period of thirty-three years, when, on the resignation of Judge J. W. Anderson, he was appointed to succeed him as judge of the fourth judicial district, in which position he is still serving, having been twice regularly elected to the office. His career on the bench has been such as has reflected additional prestige on his name and has earned him the commendation and praise of the members of the bar generally.
On June 20, 1885, Judge Hamilton was united in marriage to Miss Lyda DuBois, who was born and reared in Sioux City, and they had two children - one who died in infancy and Clarence J., who is now serving as official court reporter under his father. Judge Hamilton is a member of Sioux City Lodge No. 112, Benevolent Protective Order of Elks. He is a director of the Sioux City Country Club, a director of the Sioux City Boat Club, a member of the Sioux City Gun Club, one of the largest gun clubs west of the Mississippi river, the Loblolly Club of Sioux City, and the Sioux City Chamber of Commerce. Personally Judge Hamilton is a man of unquestioned integrity of motive and action, candid and straightforward in all of his relations with his fellowmen, and intensely public spirited in his attitude towards all movements calculated to advance the best interests of the city and county. He enjoys marked popularity in the circles in which he moves and has long been numbered among the representative men of his community, his official record reflecting credit upon the legal history of Iowa.
E. A. HANSEN
Edward A. Hansen, the popular and efficient postmaster of Holstein, was born June 8, 1896, at Wall Lake, Iowa, and is the eldest of the six children in the family of Hans C. and Mary (Kastner) Hansen. The father was a native of Germany and became an expert cabinetmaker. He came to the United States early in the '80s and first located in Sac county, Iowa, where he married Miss Kastner. She was a native of Benton county, this state, and a daughter of Henry Kastner.
Edward A. Hansen was reared and educated in Ida county and after leaving high school became a clerk in a general store. He was thus employed for six years and in 1920, during the Wilson administration, was chosen postmaster of Holstein. He was reappointed by President Coolidge and has demonstrated that he is the right man for the office. He is devoted to the interests intrusted to his care and his work has been highly satisfactory.
On January 14, 1918, Mr. Hansen married Miss Bessie Mae Kitchen, one of the eight children born to Henry and Ann Kitchen. Mr. and Mrs. Hansen have three children: Earl H., Lois E. and Edward, Jr. They are affiliated with the Methodist Episcopal church and Mr. Hansen is a strong advocate of the platform and principles of the republican party. He is a young man of worth and ability, thoroughly qualified for the responsibilities devolving upon him, and holds a high place in the esteem of the citizens of Holstein.
P. W. HARDING
For thirty-eight years Parker W. Harding has been a member of the Iowa bar and for more than a quarter of a century has practiced in Denison, where his thorough preparation of his cases and devotion to the interests entrusted to him have brought him a large clientele. Mr. Harding was born at Shelburne, Nova Scotia, Canada, on the 27th of October, 1863, and is the only child born to the union of Simeon and Margaret (McTuhae) Harding. His father was for many years a sea captain and master mariner but later in life retired and came to the United States, locating in Council Bluffs, Iowa, where his death occurred in 1918. The mother passed away one year later.
Having acquired his elementary education in the public schools of Nova Scotia, Parker W. Harding then attended the College of Arcadia, and later took up the study of law. In 1888 he went to Charter Oak, Iowa, where he completed his law studies and in 1890 was admitted to the bar. He practiced his profession at Charter Oak until 1900, when he came to Denison, Monona county, where he has continued in practice to the present time. Well versed in the basic principles of jurisprudence, and keeping in close touch with precedents and the latest court decisions, he has won success in the practice and has gained a large and representative clientele. He is a member of the Monona County Bar Association, the Iowa State Bar Association and the American Bar Association.
In 1890 Mr. Harding was united in marriage to Miss Margaret M. Keran, daughter of Charles H. Keran, of Dow City, Iowa. Mrs. Harding studied law under her husband's direction, was admitted to the bar in 1892, and they now practice together in the state, federal and United States supreme courts. She is active in the club, civic and social life of Denison and is extremely popular among her associates. Politically Mr. Harding is a stanch supporter of the republican party, while his religious faith is that of the Methodist Episcopal church, of which he is a trustee. He belongs to the Denison Chamber of Commerce and has ever stood ready to cooperate with his fellow citizens in all efforts to advance the prosperity or general welfare of the community. Mr. and Mrs. Harding have a beautiful home in Denison, where the genuine spirit of hospitality is always in evidence. Mr. Harding's favorite diversion is traveling, and he is also fond of golf as a means of recreation. Genial and friendly in his social relations, he has gained a wide acquaintance throughout Monona county and is universally regarded as one of its representative citizens, as well as leading lawyers.
J. M. HATHAWAY
Standing for many years among the leading and most influential citizens of Monona county, and evincing his faith in the prosperity and the future of the county by large investments in its farm lands, Julius M. Hathaway is entitled to specific mention in the permanent record of the annals of this section of the state.
Mr. Hathaway is a native of Iowa, born at Council Bluffs on the 17th of April, 1855, and is a son of William N. and Rachael (Sweet) Hathaway. The mother was born in London, Ontario, Canada, whence in young girlhood she was brought to the United States by her parents. The father was born in North Wilbraham, Hampden county, Massachusetts, and at an early age moved to Cortland county, New York, and was there reared and educated. Later he moved to Michigan, where he lived for a time, and in 1848 came to Council Bluffs, Iowa. In 1856 he came to Monona county, where he acquired land and thereafter engaged in farming until his death, which occurred in 1898. His wife passed away in 1887. In 1863 Mr. and Mrs. Hathaway made a trip overland to California, returning the following year. There were no railroads and their experiences were sometimes thrilling and dangerous. They were harassed by Indians and at one time met a band of eight hundred redskins. However, by diplomacy they succeeded in gaining the friendship of the Indians, and they made their round-trip journey without injury.
Julius M. Hathaway attended the public schools of Monona county and then assisted his father on the home farm until twenty-five years of age. He then entered politics, being elected to the office of justice of the peace and other township offices. In 1891 he was elected county treasurer, serving four years, and was also a member of the school board for many years. He was engaged for a time in the formation of farm organizations, and was elected to represent Monona and Ida counties in the state legislature, serving in the twenty-seventh general assembly. Mr. Hathaway next engaged in the agricultural implement business for four years, at the end of which time he returned to the home farm, buying the interests of the other heirs in the place, and operated it for eighteen years with marked success. He then moved to Onawa and became secretary of the Monona County Mutual Insurance Company, holding that position three years, and also serving as agent for the Iowa Tornado Mutual Insurance Company. During these years Mr. Hathaway wisely invested from time to time in Monona county land and is now the owner of about nineteen hundred acres.
On June 18, 1879, in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, Mr. Hathaway was united in marriage to Miss Clara Normand, who was a school teacher prior to her marriage. To their union have been born the following children: Edith, who is the wife of J. E. McNamara, of Castana, Iowa, editor of the Castana Times; Georgia, who is the wife of Arthur Whitehorn, of Great Falls, Montana, and her twin sister, Genevieve, who is the wife of Warren Winegar, of Turin, Iowa; Delwin B., who is a farmer in Monona county, as is William Newton; and Ruth, the wife of J. D. Stone, who also is a farmer in Monona county.
Politically Mr. Hathaway has always given his support to the democratic party and has been interested in public affairs. he served one year as mayor of Onawa, six years as a member of the city council, and six years as a member of the school board, being a member of the committee which had in charge the erection of the present school buildings. During the World war he rendered effective service as a member of the county council of defense. He has done a great deal of traveling, visiting many parts of the United States, as well as foreign lands. He is a close reader, keeps well informed on the great questions of the day, and is a splendid conversationalist and an agreeable companion. Because of his splendid public record, his business success and his attractive personality, he is easily accorded a place in the front rank of the citizens of his county.
H. A. HEADINGTON
The most elaborate history is necessarily an abridgement, the historian being compelled to select his facts from a multitude of details; so in presenting the biography of an individual in a work of this character the writer needs only touch the most salient points, leaving out much that is superfluous. In recording the following facts in the life of Henry A. Headington it is found that his record has fully entitled him to the high place which he holds in the business circles of his city and that he has well deserved the prosperity which he now enjoys. Mr. Headington is a native son of the state in which he now lives, having been born at Decorah on the 1st day of March, 1876, and is a son of Thomas and Caroline (Wepler) Headington, who were early settlers in Winneshiek county, where the father engaged in farming to the time of his death, in 1890. He was survived many years by his widow, who passed away in 1917.
Henry A. Headington acquired his education in the public schools of Decorah and Mason City, and entered upon the study of law in the office of Cliggett & Rule, at Mason City. In 1895 he came to Sioux City, and entered the office of the New York Life Insurance Company, being in the accounts department two years. He then went to the Northwestern National Bank, where he served as bookkeeper and teller for three years, after which he joined the Warfield, Pratt, Howell Company, with which he remained two years. In 1904 Mr. Headington engaged in the produce business under the firm name of Mable & Headington, which a year later became Headington & Hedenbergh, and of which firm he is secretary and treasurer.
On September 21, 1898, in Sioux City, Mr. Headington was married to Miss Cora Anderson, and they now have two children, Dorothy, who is the wife of Thomas F. Harrington, Jr., and Thomas. Mr. Headington is a stanch democrat in his political views, while fraternally he is a member of Tyrian lodge No. 508, A. F. and A. M.; Columbian Commandery, No. 18, K. T.; Sioux City Consistory, No. 5, A. A. S. R.; and Abu-Bekr Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S.; and also Sioux City Lodge, No. 112, B. P. O. E. He belongs to the Sioux City Boat Club, the Cosmopolitan Club, the Nebraska and Iowa Fruit Men's Association, and the Western Fruit Jobbers' Association. He is devoted closely to his business affairs, but does not permit the pursuit of wealth to interfere with his duty to his community and his neighbors, for he has always maintained a commendable interest in everything pertaining to the progress and welfare of Sioux City. Mrs. Headington also is public-spirited in her support of worthy local institutions, being president of the library board and a member of the board of directors of the Maternity Hospital. Their home is characterized by a spirit of hospitality and good cheer and they are extremely popular members of the circles in which they move.
J. C. HEADINGTON
The name of Jess C. Headington occupies a prominent place on the list of Sioux City's active, successful and well-liked citizens. His record as a public official has been a most commendable one, being marked by strict fidelity to duty, while as a business man he gained marked prestige for sound judgment and discrimination. He was born in Winneshiek county, Iowa, on the 17th of March, 1881, and is a son of Thomas and Cariline (Weplor) Headington, who were early settlers in Winneshiek county, where the father was engaged in farming to the time of his death, which occurred in 1890. He was survived many years by his widow, who passed away in 1917.
Having secured his early education in the public schools of his native county, Jess C. Headington then took a course in a business college. When eighteen years of age, he and two of his brothers engaged in business in Mason City, remaining there five years, and on September 1, 1903, he came to Sioux City and engaged in the fruit business with his brother Henry, under the firm name of Mabie & Headington. He was identified with that undertaking for twelve years and then turned his attention to the fruit brokerage business and still later engaged in the real estate business. In 1918 Mr. Headington was elected treasurer of Woodbury county, filling the office for a term of two years. In 1922 he was elected a member of the city council and was re-elected in 1924. He now holds the office of commissioner of finance of Sioux City. He has given conscientious attention to the duties of all positions held by him and has thereby gained a large and loyal following throughout the city.
On April 14, 1908, Mr. Headington was united in marriage to Miss Florence Robinson, daughter of Elijah and Della (Flint) Robinson, natives of Illinois, who moved to South Dakota in an early day and in 1890 came to Sioux City. Mr. and Mrs. Headington have three children, June Corine, Vergene and DArlene Jessie. Mr. Headington is an earnest supporter of the democratic party and has been active and influential in local public affairs. During the World war he took a prominent part in the Liberty loan and Red Cross drives. He is a member of Landmark Lodge, No. 103, A. F. & A. M.; Sioux City Consistory, No. 5, A. & A. S. R.m and Abu-Bekr Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. He also belongs to the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and the Knights of Pythias, to the Sioux City Chamber of Commerce, the Shore Acre Boat Club, and was formerly a member of the Rotary Club. His religious faith is that of the Church of Christ, Scientist. He is a strong and persistent booster for Sioux City and has at all times cooperated in all movements for its betterment and the advancement of its prosperity. He is a consistent man in all that he does, has been loyal and true in all the relations of life and is held in the highest regard by his fellow citizens.
H. W. HENDERSON
One of the popular residents of Sioux City is Harold Wendell Henderson, the present clerk of the district court of Woodbury county. He has proven an able, efficient and capable officer, while he has also taken an active part in various phases of community life, being generally recognized as a gentleman of sterling integrity and splendid personal qualities. Mr. Henderson, was born at Rodney, Monona county, Iowa, March 30, 1894, and is a son of Burton W. and Clara (Edgar) Henderson, both of whom were natives of Scott county, Iowa, the father born in 1858, and the mother in 1861. Both were of English, Scottish and Pennsylvania Dutch descent. Their respective families moved to Monoina county in the early '60s, settling in the vicinity of Ticonic, of which locality they were pioneers, John Henderson and Jesse Edgar, the subject's paternal and maternal grandfathers, being both of New York state. Burton W. Henderson engaged in a mercantile business in Rodney in a very early day and became a man of prominence and influence in that locality.
Harold W.Henderson received a good public school education, graduating from the high school at Castana, Iowa, in 1911. His home was at Rodney until seventeen years of age, after which he spent two years on a farm at Royal, Nebraska. In 1913 he came to Sioux City, where he has resided continuously to the present time. In 1914 he was appointed deputy clerk of the district court of Woodbury, holding that position nine years, and in January, 1923, he took office as clerk of that court, in which position he is still serving. Thoroughly understanding every detail of the work of the office, he is particularly well qualified for the position, the duties of which he is discharging with satisfaction to all concerned. He is also a stockholder in the Terminal Grain Corporation and the Accumulative Investment Company, both of Sioux City.
Mr. Henderson is a veteran of the World war, having entered the service at Fort Dodge in June, 1918, and was assigned to the regimental band of the Three Hundred and Thirty-seventh Field Artillery. He served overseas from September, 1918, to January, 1919, and was honorably discharged in February, 1919.
On August 29, 1923, Mr. Henderson was united in marriage to Miss Rita Diehl, of Sioux City, who was born December 26, 1892, in Cleveland, Ohio, and is of German-American decent. Her father is deceased, and her mother, Mrs. Katherine Diehl, is now living in Sioux City. Mr. and Mrs. Henderson have one child, June, born in March, 1925. Politically Mr. Henderson is a staunch supporter of the republican party, while fraternally he is a member of Morningside Lodge, No. 615, A. F. and A. M., of which he was secretary in 1920-21; Sioux City Consistory, No. 5, A. A. S. R., and Abu-Bekr Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S. He is a member and treasurer of the Community Club of Sunset View addition, Sioux City; is a member of the Hi-Twelve Club of Sioux City and is a trustee of the Hi-Twelve international organization; is a charter member of Monohan Post, American Legion, as well as of the post band, and is a charter member of the Shrine Band. His religious faith is that of the Presbyterian church. Socially he is a member of the Sioux City Boat Club. A genial and kindly gentleman he enjoys a wide acquaintance and commands the confidence and good will of all who know him.
T. B. HERRICK
The medical profession has a worthy representative n Manson, Calhoun county, in the person of Dr. Thomas B. Herrick, who since coming here in 1914 has risen in the confidence and esteem of the public, building up a large practice and gaining a high place in the medical ranks of his county. Dr. Herrick was born in Humboldt, Iowa, on the 11th of April, 1886, and is a son of Fred G. and Dora L. (Connor) Herrick, the former a native of Minnesota and the latter of Humboldt county, Iowa. The father was for many years a traveling salesman for a wholesale hardware firm of Minneapolis, but after his marriage he made his home in Humboldt, where his death occurred in 1907, at the age of forty-six years. The mother is still living in Humboldt.
Thomas B. Herrick attended the public schools of Humboldt, graduating from high school in 1903, and then enlisted in the United States navy, in which he served three years. In 1908 he entered the medical school of the University of Iowa, from which he was graduated, with the degree of Doctor of Medicine, in 1912. He engaged in the practice of his profession in partnership with a brother at Gilmore City, Pocahontas county, Iowa, where he remained two years, and in 1914 came to Manson, where he has remained to the present time, establishing a splendid reputation as an able and skilled physician and surgeon and building up a large practice. During the World war Dr. Herrick enlisted as a medical officer in the English army, with which he served thirteen months overseas. He was commissioned a first lieutenant and assigned to the First Battalion of the Lancastershire Fusiliers, Twenty-ninth Division. He received a captain's commission and on the expiration of his service returned to Manson and resumed his practice.
Dr. Herrick has been married twice - first, on October 26, 1908, to Miss Louise Hawkins, of Dakota City, Nebraska, to which union was born a daughter, Opal D., who is now a student in St. Angela's Institute, at Carroll, Iowa. On August 23, 1924, the Doctor was married to Miss Inez H. Clark, of Fort Dodge, Iowa, and they are the parents of a daughter, Jeanne Marie. Dr. Herrick is a member of Morning Light Lodge, No. 384, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of Manson, and Manson Chapter, No. 131, Royal Arch Masons, as well as of the Manson Golf Club. He is now serving as city health officer. Strong mentality, close application, thorough mastery of the great underlying principles of his profession and the ability to apply theory to practice n the treatment of diseases have been the contributing elements to his success, in addition to which is a strong individuality that has made a definite impression on all with whom he has come into contact. He is devoted to his calling and commands the respect of his fellow citizens.
D. P. HISCOX
Coming to Iowa when this region was undeveloped, Daniel P. Hiscox has experienced all of the vicissitudes of frontier life and his conversation spans the past in interesting reminiscences. He is numbered among the venerable citizens of Cherokee and his life has been devoted to the cultivation of the soil. He was born May 10, 1845, in Woodstock, Connecticut, and has reached the ripe age of eighty years. In 1856 his parents, Lucien and Pearl (Perrin) Hiscox, started on the long and arduous journey to Iowa and when they reached the Mississippi river they were able to cross to Dubuque on the ice, proceeding thence to Floyd county by team and wagon.
Mr. Hiscox received a common school education and in December, 1861, when but fifteen years of age, enlisted in Company C, Twelfth United States Infantry. He fought in the engagements at Yorktown, Williamsburg, Gaines Mills, Malvern Hill, Fair Oaks and the second battle of Bull Run and never faltered in teh performance of duty. He spent some time in a hospital and was honorably discharged in 1865 at the close of the Civil war. He returned to Iowa and for several years operated land in Floyd county. He now owns a half section in Cherokee county and through systematic work and good management has transformed the tract into one of the productive farms of this district.
In Butler county, Iowa, Mr. Hiscox married Miss Julia Converse, a successful teacher and a daughter of Judge Alonzo Converse, who represented that county in the state senate. The children born to Mr. and Mrs. Hiscox were: Bertha, who has passed away; Cora, who married M. E. Triggs and died September 28, 1925; Arthur, whose home is in Cherokee; and Leora, who is the wife of William Weed, also a resident of Cherokee. The elder daughter also married, and her son, Cyrus Davenport, has been an invalid since his service in the World war, in which he was gassed. His brother, Arthur B., made the supreme sacrifice for his country and his body was brought home for burial. Mrs. Marie Wedge, another daughter of the subject of this sketch, has two children.
Mr. Hiscox, belongs to Custer Post, No. 25, of the Grand Army of the Republic and derives much pleasure from his association with his comrades who wore the blue uniform during the dark days of civil strife. He votes the republican ticket and is a consistent member of the Baptist church. Mr. Hiscox is a man of substantial worth, honor and integrity being the keynote of his character, and his fellow citizens speak of him in terms of high regard.
F. A. HISER
F. A. Hiser, who is now living retired in his comfortable home in Spencer, during the course of a long and varied career so managed his affairs as to gain a competence, while his record has been such as to earn for him the unqualified respect and good will of all who know him. A native of Wood county, Ohio, he was born on the 5th of May, 1855, and is a son of Henry and Calista (Calkins) Hiser, the former a native of Ohio, while the latter was born in New York. Their marriage occurred in Ohio, in which state the father passed away, after which the mother came to Iowa and lived with her son until her death. They were the parents of eight children, of whom five sons are still living.
F. A. Hiser, the oldest of the family, was reared and educated in Ohio, in which state he lived until 1883, when he came to Iowa and located on a farm in Meadow township, Clay county, to the operation of which he devoted his attention for about nine years, when he sold that place and moved to Spencer, where he has lived continuously since. For about twenty years he traveled for an insurance company, but in 1912 his health failed and he quit the road. In the fall of 1921 he opened a summer resort near Spirit Lake, known as "Hiser's Oakland," where he built six cottages and made other improvements tending to make the place attractive for those desiring an ideal place for summer vacation. He also bought and sold real estate for a time, but is now practically retired from business pursuits, living quietly and comfortably in his home in Spencer. He is the owner of a store building in Spencer, as well as a farm and some lots and a residence in Minnesota.
In 1876, in Ohio, Mr. Hiser was united in marriage to Miss Lizzie A. Matthew, who was born and reared in that state, the daughter of George and Sarah (Windgate) Matthew. Her parents were natives of England, from which country they came to the United States in an early day, locating in Ohio, where they spent the remainder of their days. Mr. and Mrs. Hiser have two sons, O. F., who is married, and G. H., who is engaged in the real estate business in Chicago. Politically Mr. Hiser gives his support to the republican party. For a number of years he was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows but is not now affiliated therewith. He and his wife are active members of the Baptist church, of which he is a deacon. For six years he served as president of the Iowa Children's Home and his wife was a collector for that institution for ten years. They have both lived exemplary lives, doing what good they could and supporting all measures for the betterment of the general welfare. They are a kindly and hospitable couple, who by their consistent and worthy lives have commanded the esteem and good will of all who know them.
H. H. HOLMES
Henry Harrison Holmes was born in Pontiac, Illinois, on the 5th of March, 1874. He was the son of William Harrison Holmes and Aletha Beall Holmes. When he was seven years old his parents moved to South Dakota and established the family home on a farm in Aurora county northwest of Mount Vernon, that state. He attended the country school while on the farm. Later the family moved to Mount Vernon and he attended the school there until he went to the Dakota Wesleyan University at Mitchell, South Dakota.
His first effort toward making a living was when as a young boy he rented some land from a neighbor and tried farming for himself. As soon as he had accumulated enough money in this way he purchased the meat market in Mount Vernon. It was there he gained a thorough knowledge of cattle values, which became an important factor in his later successful career in the live stock business.
In 1900 he left Mount Vernon and went to Fulton, South Dakota, where he bought a hardware store and a line of farm machinery and implements. While he was in Fulton he was manager of a local telephone company and the Farmers Co-operative Creamery Company. Two years later he returned to Mount Vernon and bought another hardware store, and a furniture store and an undertaking establishment.
In 1905 Mr. Holmes disposed of his holdings in South Dakota and moved to Sioux City, Iowa, where he became connected with the Long & Hansen Commission Company, a live stock firm with which Mr. F. M. Hatch, a former business associate of Mount Vernon, had become identified through purchasing the interests of the retiring partner, Mr. Nicholas Hansen. Within a few months Mr. Holmes bought the interests of Mr. Wallace Long, who also wished to retire. The business was continued under the old firm name of the Long & Hansen Commission Company.
Later, as the business increased, Mr. Holmes and Mr. Hatch bought one of the leading commission firms in Chicago - the North Western Live Stock Commission Company, and established a new firm by that name in South St. Paul, Minnesota, and another firm by the name of Long & Hansen in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
In 1898 Mr. Holmes was married to Miss Laura McDowell, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William McDowell of Mount Vernon, South Dakota. Mr. and Mrs. Holmes were the parents of two children; a daughter, Gladys, and a son, Dean Harrison. Mr. Holmes was fifty years old at the time of his death, which occurred March 13, 1924, at his home, No. 3 Stewart avenue, Sioux City, Iowa.
Henry Harrison Holmes was a member of Tyrian Lodge, No. 508, the Sioux City Consistory and Abu-Bekr Shrine, A. A. O. N. M. S.; Sioux City Boar Club, the Sioux City Country Club, the Sioux City Chamber of Commerce, the Chicago Live Stock Exchange and the Sioux City Live Stock Exchange. For several years he had been a director of the latter exchange and was active in all its work at the time of his death.
Few men in the live stock business have been more successful from every standpoint or have had a wider acquaintance or commanded more respect than Harry Holmes. He was an executive of more than ordinary ability and his advice was much sought by stockmen over the entire northwest, because of his keen vision and foresight combined with a marked conservatism.
C. W. HOYER
Possessing that quality which has been aptly termed "the commercial sense," C. W. Hoyer has arrived at the goal of success, occupying a commanding position in business circles of Battle Creek, and he is also a leader in civic affairs. He was born December 22, 1867, in Boonesboro, Iowa, and there spent the period of his youth, completing his studies in business college at Burlington. On starting out in life for himself, Mr. Hoyer entered the grain business, with which he was connected for several years, and in 1893 located at Battle Creek. He has since devoted his attention to the lumber industry, and an extensive business is the visible expression of his initiative, foresight and administrative powers. He has also invested his capital in farm land and owns a valuable ranch of two hundred and forty acres in Plymouth county.
In 1894 Mr. Hoyer was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Schwab, and four children were born to them, namely: Lelia, who is the wife of C. W. Ohlsen, a prosperous farmer residing in Plymouth county; Verne B., who acts as principal of the Battle Creek high school and is also married; Lawrence E., musician and banker at Mitchell, South Dakota; and Roland D., who is connected with the Maple Valley Savings Bank. Mrs. Hoyer is an earnest member of the Presbyterian church.
Mr. Hoyer is allied with the democratic party. His fellow townsmen, recognizing his worth and ability, have called him to positions of trust and responsibility, and in all of his official capacities he has shown the same executive force, keen sagacity and conscientious attention to detail which characterize his business dealings. He has been mayor of Battle Creek, was clerk of the court for twelve years and is now president of the school board. Along fraternal lines he is connected with the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Knights of Pythias and the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks. Mr. Hoyer has wrought effectively for the public good and the respect accorded him is well deserved.
W. C. HUDSON
To William C. Hudson there attaches a three-fold distinction. He is one of the first white children born in what is now Sioux City; he is the oldest livestock commission merchant in this city, having started with the establishment of the stockyards here over forty years ago; and he is the oldest hog salesman, both in point of age and years of service. It is also worthy of note that through all these years of active identification with the livestock business here he has at all times commanded the absolute confidence of all who have had dealings with him, for he has conducted his affairs according to the highest standard of business ethics.
William C Hudson was born in Sioux City, October 2, 1859, a son of Nathaniel C. and Helen R. (Joy) Hudson, both natives of Athens, Vermont. The mother was a sister of William L. Joy, who later became the law partner of Nathaniel C. Hudson, under the firm name of Hudson & Joy. N. C. Hudson lost his father when he was but a small child and the step-father not being acceptable to him, he ran away from home at the age of fourteen years. He worked in New York city for a number of years, during which time he practiced rigid economy, so that he was eventually able to take a course in law and also to bring his brothers to New York city and get them started in life. He studied in a law school in Poughkeepsie, New York, was admitted to the bar and in 1856, with William L. Joy, who later became his brother-in-law, and with his brother, Jerome Hudson, who later became a scout in General Sully's army, he came to Sioux City. Here Nathaniel Hudson and William L. Joy formed a law partnership, their office being in a log cabin at Fourth and Douglas streets. In 1858 Mr. Hudson returned to Vermont to marry his old schoolmate sweetheart, whom he brought to the frontier home. The mother became one of the incorporators of the Baptist church here, in whose welfare she was deeply interested. In 1866 Mr. Hudson, on account of the ill health of his wife, moved to St. Louis, Missouri, where he engaged in the tobacco manufacturing business. Later he formed the St. Louis Beef Canning Company (now the Swift Packing Company), conducting the business until 1885, when he sold his St. Louis interests and moved to southern California, where he lived retired until his death, about 1910. His widow survived him about three years, losing her life in an automobile accident. Mr. Hudson became an important factor in the commercial and industrial affairs of St. Louis and was active and influential in civic affairs. He served several years as city collector and represented that district in the Missouri state senate.
William C. Hudson entered school at the early age of four years, attending three years in the Sioux City public schools and then entering the St. Louis schools, where he was graduated from the high school in 1876. He completed his education training in Washington University and then went to work in the plant of the St. Louis Beef Canning Company. In 1880 he went to Leadville, Colorado, during the height of the gold excitement, and spent two years there and in the Gunnison country. He next went to Paris, Tennessee, where he remained until the fall of 1885, when he returned to Sioux City and became identified with the livestock industry in association with A. S. Garrettson, who owned a large ranch in Woodbury county. Mr. Hudson grazed cattle on the ranch in summer and fed them during the winter but the venture proved unprofitable and in 1887, when the Sioux City stockyards were founded, he came into the city and engaged in the livestock commission business. Thus his subsequent career and the history of the organized livestock business in this city are practically coincident. During these years there have been several changes in the style of his firm, but about 1915 the present firm, the Hudson-Gibbs Commission Company, succeeded the Hudson Commission Company. Mr. Hudson is president of the company and is hog salesman for the firm, having served in that capacity for the past thirty-seven years.
On May 6, 1885, Mr. Hudson was united in marriage to Miss Lena Mariner, of Oleatha, Kansas, and to them have been born two children, namely: Leonard C., who is a cattle dealer in Sioux City; and Mary Frances, who is the wife of Rex Large, a nationally-known journalist, for some years on the editorial staff of the New York Times and now in charge of the Des Moines Register and Tribune. Mr. Hudson is a member of Landmark Lodge, No. 103, A. F. and A. M.; Sioux City Consistory, No. 5, A. A. S. R.; Abu-Bekr Temple, A. A. O. N. M. S., and of Sioux City Lodge, No. 112, B. P. O. E., to which order he has belonged for thirty-seven years. He is a member of the Sioux City Country Club, a charter member of the Sioux City Boat Club and a member of teh Boys of Sixty-eight. He has always been actively interested in the prosperity of the Sioux City Live Stock Exchange, of which he served fourteen years as president, vice-president and member of the board of directors. For a number of years in the early life of the organization, he was treasurer of the National Live Stock Association. Mrs. Hudson, her children and her grandchildren are communicants of the Protestant Episcopal church and she has long been active in church, club and social work. Even tempered, patient, scrupulously honest in all the relations of life, hospitable and charitable, Mr. Hudson has a host of warm and loyal friends throughout this community and no citizen of Sioux City is held in higher esteem than he.
M. R. HUESCHEN
Max R. Hueschen, one of the progressive citizens of Holstein, has made the newspaper business his life work and is widely and favorably known in journalistic circles of northwestern Iowa. He was born July 10, 1874, and was but two years old when his parents, Otto R. and Doris (Heitman) Hueschen, made the voyage from Germany to the United States. They established their home in St. Louis, Missouri, and for a number of years the father followed the tailor's trade in that city. He was born in Orleans, France, while the mother was a native of Germany, and both have passed away. Ten children were born to them, namely: Otto, of Uniontown, Missouri; Dora, the wife of Ma Hirschfeldt, of St. Louis; Theodore, George and Martha, all of whom are deceased; Anna, who married Oscar Werner and lives in St. Louis; Henry, who died in infancy; Mary, who is also a resident of the Mound City; Max R.; and Frieda, deceased.
Max R. Hueschen attended teh college at Springfield, Missouri, and was also a college student at Fort Wayne, Indiana. He completed his education in St. Louis University, from which he was graduated in 1894, and then entered the publishing business, with which he has been identified for more than thirty years. His initial experience was gained at Gray, Iowa, and in Gladbrook, Tama county, he started a paper which he conducted for eleven months. He next bought the Westside (Iowa) Journal, which he published until 1919, and then came to Holstein, purchasing the Advance, of which he has since been the owner. The news of the paper is authentic and its columns are filled with good reading matter. The Advance now has a circulation of two thousand and is classed with the best weeklies of the state. Mr. Hueschen has a highly specialized knowledge of the publishing business and under his expert management the paper is growing steadily in power and usefulness.
In July, 1899, Mr. Hueschen married Martha (Pacholke) Hueschen, a native of Germany, and they have six children: Irene, Elfrida, Alice, Hilda, Otto and Herbert. Mr. Hueschen is a stanch adherent of the republican party and his fraternal affiliations are with the Masonic order and the Woodmen of the World. He has a high conception of the dignity and responsibility of his profession and has always used his influence for worthy ends. his work as a progressive newspaper man has been a vital force in the development of this district, and he bases his xealous support of the locality upon a comprehensive knowledge of its opportunities and resources.
HARRIET E. HUNT
Harriet Earle Hunt, founder of the Sioux City Stylus and one of Iowa's first women editors and publishers, was born in Ohio on the 3d of April, 1840. She was the daughter of William Y. and Amelia Earle. Ralph Earle, her great-great-great-great-grandfather, came over from England in approximately the year 1634 and settled in Portsmouth, Rhode Island. He took a prominent part in public affairs of that town, being a member of the town council, and a representative of Portsmouth at all the out-of-town councils. He appears as a member of an important council of the New England states in 1645. His decease is surmised to have occurred about 1678.
His son, William Earle, was also a prominent citizen of Portsmouth, Rhode Island, and died in 1715. William's son, Ralph Earle, was born in Portsmouth in 1660, but moved to Leicester, Massachusetts, where he died in 1757, bequeathing large tracts of land to his children. Ralph's son, Robert Earle, was born in Leicester, Massachusetts, in 1706 and died in 1796. Fond of equestrianism, he rode until he had reached the age of eighty-nine, traveling at these advanced years from Leicester to Chester, Vermont, in one day. Robert's son, George Earle, was born in 1735, and moved to Chester, Vermont, as a young man. He was captain of a company of Chester (Vermont) militia throughout the Revolutionary war, and his son, Frederick Earle, served throughout the Revolution as a private in his father's company. A gunsmith, George Earle passed away in 1806, and his son in 1847 at Chester, Vermont. Then followed William Young Earle, son of Frederick Earle and the father of Harriet. Soon after her birth her parents went in a covered wagon to Maquoketa, Iowa, via Chicago, which was then called Fort Dearborn. Her father was offered a large tract of land in what is now the heart of Chicago in exchange for his outfit, but the land looked so swampy and unattractive that Mr. Earle refused to consider the offer, and drove on farther west. He settled in Maquoketa and raised a family of thirteen children.
Harriet Earle received her education at the Maquoketa Academy and specialized in music. One of her instructors was the late Professor Mueller, who afterward was junior partner in the firm of Schmoller & Mueller at Council Bluffs, Iowa.
On October 8, 1864, Harriet Earle was united in marriage at De Witt, Iowa, to Gilbert Watson Hunt, a young newspaper man of Maquoketa, Iowa. Their eldest son, Charles E. Hunt, was born here on the 14th of August, 1865. A few years later the family moved to Monticello, Iowa, where Mr. Hunt became editor and proprietor of the Jones County Liberal, which afterward became the Democrat. They made their home in Monticello, where their children, Harry and Kittie, twins, Louise Adella, George Lytton and Fred Ralph, were born. In the spring of 1880 they removed to Fonda, Iowa, where Mr. Hunt founded the Fonda Democrat. There was born a daughter, Susan, who died at the age of three months. The family next removed to Storm Lake, Iowa, where Mr. Hunt edited a democratic paper for a short time. In 1883 the family located in Le Mars, Iowa, where Mr. Hunt edited the Daily Democrat, which later became a tri-weekly and next a weekly publication. This paper, now known as the Post, is still in existence at Le Mars. A son, Arthur Clarkson, was born there. In the spring of 1886 the family located in Sioux City, where Mr. Hunt started the Democrat, a weekly paper.
On May 11, 1889, Mrs. Harriet Earle Hunt launched a free lance in the newspaper field which she named the Sioux City Stylus. It was distributed free of charge for a year, with advertising the source of revenue. At the end of the first year a subscription was charged and the paper became a vehicle for legal publications, which it has remained ever since. Mrs. Hunt was not only a pioneer business woman of Sioux City, but one of the first women editors and publishers in the state of Iowa. She possessed the same courage in blazing a trail in an untried field for women as her parents displayed in blazing a trail through to a new part of the country, with its many attendant dangers.
Mrs. Hunt continued the publication of the stylus until March 19, 1906, when she passed away at the age of sixty-five. She had helped her sons to gain a college education and had educated her daughters in music. She maintained high ideals in her newspaper work, despite the fact that she often lost in a commercial way. At her death her daughter, Mrs. Kathryn Hunt James, took up her work and has maintained her mother's ideals.
Mrs. James is the author of two books, "Wayside Glints," which was published in 1898, and "Sparkling Shots," published in 1901, besides many other human interest narratives which she has published in the Sytlus throughout many years and which have been widely quoted. The Sioux City Stylus recently celebrated its thirty-seventh anniversary. The editorial and business headquarters are situated on the sixth floor of the Woodbury county courthouse, in connection with the Sioux City Law Library, of which Mrs. James is assistant librarian. Mrs. James is affiliated with the Sioux City Woman's Club, the Business and Professional Women's Club, the Sioux City Humane Society, the Women's Christian Temperance Union and several other organizations. She was recently appointed chairman of a censorship committee on literature by Mayor W. S. Gilman.
Charles E. Hunt, the eldest son, was united in marriage at Sioux City, Iowa, in 1890, to Miss Grace Barnes, who passed away in the spring of 1896. He was married to Miss Florence Reynolds, of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, in 1899. Two children were born of this union, Hayward and Louise. The family is living in Seattle, Washington, where Mr. Hunt is commercial editor of the Post-Intelligencer.
Harry H. Hunt, the second son, was united in marriage at Sioux City, Iowa, April 14, 1898, to Miss Aldea Delier of Sioux City. Two children, Charles Arthur and Harry Pierre, were born on October 19, 1899, and February 3, 1901, respectively. Harry H. Hunt passed away on the 8th of February, 1920.
Louise Adella Hunt passed away at Sioux City, Iowa, September 18, 1895, at the age of twenty-four.
Fred R. Hunt was united in marriage to Mrs. Zaidee Pease at Chicago in 1908. One son, Fred Hunt, was born to this union. Mr. Hunt is editor of the Chicago Leader at Chicago, Illinois.
Arthur Clarkson Hunt was united in marriage to Miss Gertrude Glaate of Buffalo, New York, in 1913. One daughter, Martha Jane Hunt, was born March 25, 1921. Mr. Hunt resides at 44 Rugby Road, Buffalo, New York.
George Lytton Hunt is unmarried and resides at Denver, Colorado, a printer by trade.
For nearly forty years Robert Hunter has been actively and successfully engaged in the practice of law in Sioux City, and during the period he has been connected as counsel with much of the important litigation in the courts of this county and has earned a reputation as an exceptionally sound and safe counselor, while in the trial of cases he is fully able to cope with any of his compeers. Born on his father's farm in Butler county, Iowa, on the 12th of January, 1858, he is a son of James and Caroline (Mears) Hunter, the former a native of Belfast, Ireland, while the latter was born and reared in Warren county, Indiana. The father came to the United States in 1849, when thirty-two years of age, going at once to Indiana. For a short time he was employed in Crawfordsville, after which he hired out to the man who later became his father-in-law. In 1852 he was married and two years afterward brought his wife to Iowa, settling on the southwest quarter of section 13, township 91, range 17 west, in Butler county, buying the land for a dollar and a quarter an acre. Here he created a good farm and spent the remaining years of his life, his death occurring in April, 1888, at the age of seventy-one years. He was prominent and influential in his community and held a number of township offices.
Robert Hunted acquired his elementary education in the district schools of Butler county and then attended Lenox College, a Presbyterian institution at Hopkinton, Iowa, where he was graduated with the degree of Bachelor of Science in 1879. Two years later that college granted him the degree of Master of Science. After leaving Lenox, he entered the law school of Iowa State University, where he won the degree of Bachelor of Laws in 1881. In January, 1882, he opened a law office at Aberdeen, South Dakota, remaining there until 1886, when he moved to Hartington, Nebraska, where he maintained an office one year. He then came to Sioux City and has since been engaged in teh practice here. He ha gained a high place in the ranks of his profession, winning the confidence of the public and the respect of his colleagues, while financially he has been successful to a very gratifying degree. In 1898 he founded the Western Land and Loan Company, of which he has been president since its incorporation in that year. He has taken an active interest in public affairs and in 1908 was elected to the state senate, where he served four years with ability and distinction.
On October 19, 1881, Mr. Hunter was united in marriage to Miss Olive Ann Merrill, who was born and reared in Butler county, Iowa and to them have been born two children: Jane May, who is the wife of Martin Luther Sloan, Jr., electrical engineer with the General Electric Company at Cleveland, Ohio, and Cora Martha, who is the wife of T. M. Hyatt, an ex-navy officer who is now engaged in the real estate, loan and life insurance business in San Pedro, California. The mother died May 13, 1917. Mr. Hunter is a member of the Presbyterian church, to which he gives generous support. Fraternally, he is a member of Landmark Lodge, No. 103, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons; Sioux City Chapter, No. 26, Royal Arch Masons; Columbian Commandery, No. 18, Knights Templar; Sioux City Consistory, No. 5, Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite; Abu-Bekr Temple, Ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine; Sioux City Lodge, No. 112, Benevolent Protective Order of Elks; Sioux City Lodge, No. 164, Independent Order of Odd Fellows, belonging also to the Uniformed Rank, of which he was colonel in 1904. Mr. Hunter has received distinctive preferment in the Masonic order, being at the present time most illustrious master of the grand council of Royal and Select Masters of the state of Iowa, while in October, 1915, the honorary thirty-third degree was conferred on him in recognition and appreciation of his eminent services in the order. He is a member of the Sioux City Boar Club and of the Sioux City Chamber of Commerce. He is a man of great energy, and of keen and vigorous mind, and does well whatever he undertakes. As lawyer and lawmaker he has left his impress on the history of his native state and is yet active in molding its destiny.
W. E. S. HUTCHEON
Among the active and successful members of the legal profession in Greene county stands William Emslie Scott Hutcheon, who is now serving his third successive term as county attorney. Mr. Hutcheon is a well educated, forceful and progressive man, and his record thus far has gained for him the respect of the entire county. He was born in Webster county, this state, about fourteen miles north of Jefferson, on the 30th of May, 1896, and is a son of James and Elsie (Yeats) Hutcheon. His parents were natives of Scotland, where they were reared and educated. They came to the United States, the father at the age of twenty-two years and the mother at eighteen years. Both came to Iowa, the father settling in Greene county and the mother in Montezuma, where she had an aunt living. After their marriage, the father engaged in farming, which pursuit he has followed to the present time, now living about two miles west of Jefferson.
W. E. S. Hutcheon secured his elementary education in the public schools of Jefferson and then entered Iowa State University, where he was graduated, with the degree of Bachelor of Arts, in 1918. He also received the degree of Bachelor of Laws, from the law school of that university, in 1920. He was admitted to the bar and immediately entered upon the active practice of his profession in Jefferson, and he quickly received recognition as an able and competent lawyer. In 1922 he was elected to the office of county attorney, to which he was reelected in 1924 and 1926, and is now holding that office. His official record has been marked by faithful and effective service and he is today regarded as one of the most reliable and competent county attorneys Greene county has ever had.
In February, 1924, Mr. Hutcheon was united in marriage to Miss Elsie Hubbard, of Montgomery county, this state, and they are the parents of a son, James Francis. Mr. Hutcheon is a veteran of the World war, having enlisted early in 1918. He was stationed at several camps in this country, and attended the officers' training school at Camp Zachary Taylor, where he was trained for the cavalry service and received a lieutenant's commission. Early in October he was assigned to the Sixty-second Field Artillery and was stationed at El Paso, Texas, being subsequently transferred to Camp Jackson, South Carolina, where his regiment remained until the close of the war. Mr. Hutcheon is a member of Morning Star Lodge, No. 159, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons; Cornerstone Chapter, No. 64, Royal Arch Masons, and Floyd W. Brown Post, No. 11, American Legion, belonging also to the Jeffereson Country Club. He possesses to a marked degree those traits that commend a man to the good favor of his fellows, and he is numbered among those who by their lives and their labors are honoring and dignifying their community.
Northwestern Iowa Table of Contents
Vol III Biographical Index