E. S. RANDALL
Edgar S. Randall, a loyal Iowan, is known publisher
of Spencer and for more than twenty years his name has figured
prominently in business circles of this locality. He was born July
29, 1870, in Washington county, Iowa, and is of Irish lineage. His
parents, William S. and Mary C. (Boden) Randall, were both natives
of Ohio. The latter was born March 28, 1845, in Morgan county, and
the father's birth occurred in Trumbull county on September 4, 1840.
He was an adherent of the republican party and loyally defended the
Stars and Stripes during the Civil war, serving for four and a half
years as a member of Company C. Eighth Iowa Infantry.
Mr. Randall was educated in Fairfield, Nebraska, to
which the family moved when he was a child of three, and in 1896,
when twenty-six years of age, he arrived in Sidney, Iowa. He
located at Spencer in 1904 and is now at the head of a prosperous
publishing business. He has a comprehensive understanding of
everything pertaining to this line of activity and his well
equipped plant enables him to turn out high-grade work.
On October 19, 1904, Mr. Randall was married in
Sidney, Iowa, to Miss Daisy Wilson, a daughter of N. C. and
Elizabeth (Sproul) Wilson, the former a native of Ireland, while the
latter was born in the state of Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Randall have
a son, Kenneth R., who is a student at the Nebraska State
University, situated in Lincoln. Mrs. Randall was born July 7,
1873, in Scott county, Iowa, and is connected with the P. E. O. Mr.
Randall is a Knight Templar Mason and a Noble of the Mystic Shrine.
He belongs to the Spencer Commercial Club and is also identified
with the Clay County Fair Association. He is allied with the
republican party and his life is governed by the teachings of the
Methodist church. He has ever been actuated by a strong desire to
serve his community and is highly esteemed by the citizens of
J. C. RENNISON
Among the worthy citizens of Sioux City of a past
generation, whose efforts contributed in a very definite measure to
the general prosperity of his community, was the late James C.
Rennison. His life history did not hinge on any lucky stroke or
particularly fortuitous circumstance, but was characterized by
steady, thoughtful and intelligent effort along legitimate lines.
By a life of high ideals and consistent methods in business affairs
he has left his impress on the community t an unusual degree and his
death was regarded as a distinct loss to the locality which he had
honored by his residence. Mr. Rennison was born in the north of
Ireland on the 4th of March, 1839, and in childhood was brought to
the United States by his parents, who located in Newburg, New York,
in the public schools of which city he secured his education. On
attaining manhood, he engaged in the nursery business at Newburg,
which he carried on until the opening of the Civil war, when he
offered his services to his adopted country. He raised and became
captain of a company of the Seventy-first Regiment, New York
Volunteer Infantry. At the close of the war, Mr. Rennison came to
Bloomington, Illinois, where he engaged in business as a florist
until 1881, when he came to Sioux City. He here became associated
in the same line with George H. Wright at Seventh and Pierce
streets, but two years later he bought sole control of the business,
which he moved to Ninth and Pierce streets. By careful management
and sound judgment, he realized a splendid success and in 1892,
being compelled to seek larger quarters, he built extensive
greenhouses at Twenty-fifth and Jones streets. In 1909, after his
death, the business was incorporated as the J. C. Rennison Company,
of which his daughter, Miss Fannie L. Rennison, became president, a
position which she still holds. The business continued to grow to
such an extent that in 1920 the company built large, modern
greenhouses on Smithland road, beyond Morningside, and here they are
equipped to successfully handle the large orders which come to them.
They do a wholesale and retail nursery and florist business,
covering Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota and Minnesota.
In 1866, in Alton, Illinois, Mr. Rennison was
married to Miss Elizabeth Ann Shields, the daughter of Walter
Shields, who was of Scotch descent and of an old family of Alton.
To this union were born two children, Walter, of Oconomowoc,
Wisconsin, and Fannie L., who is now the active president of the J.
C. Rennison Company. Mr. Rennison was one of the pioneer florists
of this section of Iowa. He always took a keen interest in civic
affairs, giving hearty support to movements for the upbuilding of
the community or the betterment of the public welfare. He was a
republican in his political views, was a member of the Knights of
Pythias, and his religious belief was that of the Church of Christ,
Scientist. Because of his consistent and useful life and his kindly
and genial manner, he long commanded the highest measure of
confidence and respect among his acquaintances.
W. E. ROSE
Among the sturdy pioneers to whom Cherokee county is
indebted for the development of its agricultural resources none is
better known or more highly esteemed than William E. Rose, whose
residence is this district covers a period of fifty-six years. He
was born May 25, 1843, in Portville, New York, and his parents, Abel
B. and Jeannette (Wood) Rose, were lifelong residents of that state.
In their family were two sons, Henry A. and William E.
Mr. Rose was reared and educated in the Empire state
and in 1863 enlisted in the Union army, becoming a member of the
Fifteenth New York Cavalry, with which he served until honorably
discharged on June 15, 1865. He then started for the west, spending
a year at Black River Falls, Wisconsin, and afterward paid a short
visit to his old home. On May 16, 1869, Mr. Rose settled in
Cherokee county, which at that time was largely a wilderness, and
turned his attention to the cultivation of the soil. Through
arduous labor he cleared the land and as the years passed brought it
to a high state of productivity, enhancing its fertility by the
rotation of crops and the application of scientific principles to
his agricultural operations. He is now the owner of two hundred
acres of valuable farm land in this township but since 1908 has
lived retired in Marcus, spending his declining years in ease and
comfort. He built a substantial residence, supplied with all modern
conveniences, and the family home has been the scene of many
enjoyable social gatherings.
In November, 1870, Mr. Rose was united in marriage
to Emma Glines. He belongs to the local post of the Grand Army of
the Republic and is a Christian Scientist in religious faith. He is
an adherent of the democratic party and was formerly active in
public affairs, serving as town clerk and as a member of the school
board. As a young man he taught school in Marcus for six months and
has always been deeply interested in educational matters. Mr. Rose
has been temperate in all things and is well preserved, having an
alert mind and a good constitution. He has faithfully discharged
life's duties and obligations and his reward is the respect and good
will of his fellowmen.