ITS HISTORY AND TRADITIONS
M. C. LANGE
Martin C. Lange enjoys distinct prestige in the
business circles of Sioux City, where he is efficiently serving in
the responsible position of treasurer of the Knapp & Spencer
Company, to the success of which concern he is a contributing
factor. Born in North Freedom, Wisconsin, on the 4th day of
November, 1894, he is a son of C. A. and Cora R. (Simons) Lange, the
former a native of Wisconsin and the latter of Travis, Minnesota.
The father was a construction engineer in the employ of the state
of Wisconsin giving his attention to the building of roads, and he
and his wife are still living in that state.
Of the six children born to them, Martin, C. Lange
is the oldest. He attended the public schools of North Freedom and
then took a course in a business college in Baraboo, Wisconsin. In
April, 1918, he went to work for the Wisconsin Zinc Company, at
Plattesville, Wisconsin, but soon afterwards resigned and enlisted
for service in the World war, being assigned to the Forty-eighth
Coast Artillery, with which he served until receiving an honorable
discharge in 1919, Mr. Lange came to Sioux City as bookkeeper for
the Knapp & Spencer Company, by whom his ability and faithfulness
were quickly recognized, and he was successively promoted from time
to time until, in 1922, he became treasurer of the company, which
position he is now filling.
Mr. Lange is vice president and a director of the
Interstate Association of Credit Men, is a member of the Riverside
Boat Club, the High Twelve Club and the Credo Club. Fraternally, he
is a member of the Masonic order, in which he belongs to lodge,
chapter and commandery, and is also a member of the American Legion.
Politically Mr. Lange maintains an independent attitude but in all
affairs affecting the well being of the community he takes an active
interest. He is a member of the First Methodist Episcopal church
and, because of his business success, his splendid character and his
friendly manner, he is held in high esteem by all who know him.
W. D. LATHROP
Warren D. Lathrop, an honored veteran of the Civil
war, has been a resident of Cherokee county for fifty-seven years
and is rounding out a well spent life in the ease and comfort
purchased by laborious effort directed into constructive channels.
He was born November 7, 1844, in Delaware county, Iowa, his parents
were Ichabod D. and Catherine (Humphreys) Lathrop, the latter a
native of Ohio. The father was born in the state of New York and
came to Iowa in pioneer times. He settled on a farm in Hardin
county and there spent the remainder of his life, transforming his
land into a rich and productive tract on which he made many
improvements. He had a family of nine children, seven of whom are
Mr. Lathrop attended the rural schools near his
father's farm and aided him in the cultivation of the soil until
1862, when he responded to the call to arms, becoming a member of
the Company A, Thirty-second Regiment of Iowa Infantry. He was with
the Western Army and spent three years in the service of the Union.
He participated in many notable battles and was wounded in the left
leg. He was mustered out at Davenport, Iowa, and returned to Hardin
county, where he engaged in farming for about three years. In
1868 he came to Cherokee county and entered a homestead in Afton
township. He proved up on the land, which he brought to a high
state of development, and in his work was guided by a progressive
spirit, keeping in close touch with the latest developments along
agricultural lines. Eventually he sold the farm and since his
retirement has lived in Cherokee with leisure to devote to those
affairs in which he is most interested.
In 1868 Mr. Lathrop married Miss Rosa Armour, who
passed away in 1912 and was laid to rest in the Oak Hill cemetery at
Cherokee. Four children were born to them but two are deceased.
Those who survive are Frank E.; and Erma D., the wife of Russell A.
Jones. Mr. Lathrop is a republican in his political views and has
held several county and township offices, discharging every duty
with fidelity and thoroughness. He is a member of Custer Post, No.
25, of the Grand Army of the Republic and derives much pleasure from
his association with the "Boys in Blue." He is also connected with
the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Knights of Pythias.
His life has been long, upright and useful, crowned with successful
achievement, and the years have brought him an ever widening circle
of steadfast friends.